Is there a specific template for HTML games that everyone's using?

Seaicéid

Jul 15, 2018
I have some experience coding in HTML and want to try my hand at making one of these games. Is there a certain template most HTML game devs use when making their games, I've noticed most have a similar side-bar to the left, for saves and other stats. Where can I find this template if it exists?

Any help would be appreciated!

StayAtHomeDev

Aug 3, 2020
EDIT: When posting this answer, I missed the fact that the OP is describing an engine for text-based games.

They usually call it an "engine", not a template.
From what I can tell HTML is not a popular choice for the kind of games you find here, most are created with Ren'py or Unity.
For HTML, this is the closest one I could find to being a "popular" choice:
Maybe you want to give Ren'py a second look, the amount of support and resources you will find far exceed anything HTML would offer. And Python is not very different from Javascript.

You can also check this topic if you haven't yet: https://f95zone.to/threads/how-to-make-an-html-rpg-game.56490/#post-3910243

Last edited:
Reactions: xz09 and shiroikaze

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
What the OP is describing is TWINE with SugarCube. Which, in the adult game sector, is far more popular than monogatari. Probably not better... but definitely more popular. Also, needing to create artwork is a deal breaker for many devs without art skills... and some game types are simply too difficult to accomplish with the currently available tools unless you skip artwork and go text only. That eliminates Ren'py and Unity as options.

Reactions: StayAtHomeDev

slitherhence

Sep 24, 2017
Thanks, I missed that bit. I have updated my comment.
Np. I've simply spent so much time playing twine+sugarcube games myself that I recognize the interface he's describing instantly. And they are pretty common especially for TF games. tfgamessite.com is flooded with them. I think something like 90% of the HTML games in the games thread here are twine+sugarcube. Notable examples include Free Cities, Parasite Infection, and Degrees of Lewdity.