Tool jDeppL - A DeepL clipboard hook [v2.3.3]

asdasfa9

Jul 2, 2018
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but, what is the difference between this and just using the DeepL extension from Textractor? Again, sorry if it's a dumb question(I'm new to all this text hooker stuff and machine translations in general).
I've never used Textractor's extension since it was broken and non-functional prior to this tool's creation so I can't tell for sure.
Only not too long ago when it was fixed.
Most notable difference is probably that I've put in some highly configurable substitutions feature for my own convenience.

Anyway, you still need to use Textractor along with this tool if you want to hook into a game.

Mar 29, 2018
I've never used Textractor's extension since it was broken and non-functional prior to this tool's creation so I can't tell for sure.
Only not too long ago when it was fixed.
Most notable difference is probably that I've put in some highly configurable substitutions feature for my own convenience.

Anyway, you still need to use Textractor along with this tool if you want to hook into a game.
I see, so even if I use this I might get timed out from using DeepL if I translate too much/too quickly? The reason I'm asking is because I don't have a dynamic IP or a VPN, so I don't want to get banned from their site or something.

asdasfa9

Jul 2, 2018
I see, so even if I use this I might get timed out from using DeepL if I translate too much/too quickly? The reason I'm asking is because I don't have a dynamic IP or a VPN, so I don't want to get banned from their site or something.
Probably, no one knows how the limit works, I only got it once, so it's quite hard to reach if you ask me, but I guess it depends on your usage.
Just use or Textractor's Google/Bing translation extensions along with it in case DeepL fails.

MuninKai

Apr 29, 2020
Get on a VPN. This is independent of why or what you are using it for, it is just a good idea.

Not sure if it's because I'm using a VPN but I did 30h of continuous translation using DeepL, translating 18000 lines of text, with no issues.

Mar 29, 2018
Get on a VPN. This is independent of why or what you are using it for, it is just a good idea.

Not sure if it's because I'm using a VPN but I did 30h of continuous translation using DeepL, translating 18000 lines of text, with no issues.
Are you using this jDeppL tool or are you just using Textractor with the DeepL extension? Also does your textractor pick up and translate every single text(like when you open the menu or when you enter a battle etc) or does it only translate the actual npc dialogue parts? I'm wondering because asdasfa9 's screenshots in the OP show that only the dialogue parts were translated. But was it because he only avoided opening the menu or getting into battles for the point of showcasing the tool? Because as it stands, me just playing through the game casually, it translates literally everything so I think even if I play it for a short while it will exceed even the 18000 lines of actual text you translated. Like here is a pic of me playing for like 10 seconds. All I did was talk to an npc, open my menu->click items->back to menu->exit menu. And textractor picks everything up. Is that normal?

asdasfa9

Jul 2, 2018
Are you using this jDeppL tool or are you just using Textractor with the DeepL extension? Also does your textractor pick up and translate every single text(like when you open the menu or when you enter a battle etc) or does it only translate the actual npc dialogue parts? I'm wondering because asdasfa9 's screenshots in the OP show that only the dialogue parts were translated. But was it because he only avoided opening the menu or getting into battles for the point of showcasing the tool? Because as it stands, me just playing through the game casually, it translates literally everything so I think even if I play it for a short while it will exceed even the 18000 lines of actual text you translated. Like here is a pic of me playing for like 10 seconds. All I did was talk to an npc, open my menu->click items->back to menu->exit menu. And textractor picks everything up. Is that normal?
That's normal, that's just how Textractor works, it just extracts strings, it can't know what's a dialogue or a menu or whatever. Anyway, if jDeppL's "JP Input Only" is enabled, it'll avoid translating non-JP strings. And if a text has already been processed once, it probably won't even count towards the request limit since the backing browser might have already cached it.
Just don't think about it, just switch to Google/Bing if you ever reached the limit.

As an alternative, you might want to try out. It uses OCR to detect text on the screen, so you can set it to only scan the dialogue area.

Last edited:
Reactions: potato_enjoyer
Mar 29, 2018
That's normal, that's just how Textractor works, it just extracts strings, it can't know what's a dialogue or a menu or whatever. Anyway, if jDeppL's "JP Input Only" is enabled, it'll avoid translating non-JP strings. And if a text has already been processed once, it probably won't even count towards the request limit since the backing browser might have already cached it.
Just don't think about it, just switch to Google/Bing if you ever reached the limit.

As an alternative, you might want to try out. It uses OCR to detect text on the screen, so you can set it to only scan the dialogue area.
I see, thank you for all the help! I have another question though. Do I have to worry about doing anything with the cache if I'm not planning on using jDeppL for translation purposes? I don't really understand what the cache does or what it's used for. Can I just not worry about it if I'm just using this tool as a machine translator to play games?

asdasfa9

Jul 2, 2018
I see, thank you for all the help! I have another question though. Do I have to worry about doing anything with the cache if I'm not planning on using jDeppL for translation purposes? I don't really understand what the cache does or what it's used for. Can I just not worry about it if I'm just using this tool as a machine translator to play games?
The cache is experimental. When enabled, it keeps all translated texts in the drive, so the next time you encountered the same texts, you get translations without making requests to DeepL or even if you're offline.
I don't think you need it though.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
The cache is experimental. When enabled, it keeps all translated texts in the drive, so the next time you encountered the same texts, you get translations without making requests to DeepL or even if you're offline.
I don't think you need it though.
I see, that sounds really useful. So all I would need to do is enable it in jDeppL? I don't need if I don't plan on reading the cache or editing it right? Also in your OP you said that you can create new caches. What would be the reason for that? Do they fill up overtime or something to the point where they can't save anymore text?

asdasfa9

Jul 2, 2018
I see, that sounds really useful. So all I would need to do is enable it in jDeppL? I don't need if I don't plan on reading the cache or editing it right?
No, that's only for reading and editing a cache.
Also in your OP you said that you can create new caches. What would be the reason for that? Do they fill up overtime or something to the point where they can't save anymore text?
That's for mainly organization, maybe you want to keep separate caches for different games, or maybe share the cache for that game to others.
They do fill up and would take more drive memory over time, but that's gonna be a really long time. You might play through like 3 games and the cache size would probably only be at around 30mb.
And the cache can handle multiple millions of entries, which I doubt you'll ever be able to reach.

jowishg

Yare yare dawa (ง •̀_•́)ง
Donor
May 6, 2018
asdasfa9 getting CRITICAL ERROR on the latest version today, didn't happen few days ago, I tried to change web browsers and changing variables on the config file but still the same error, mb the webdrivers need to be updated ?

asdasfa9

Jul 2, 2018
asdasfa9 getting CRITICAL ERROR on the latest version today, didn't happen few days ago, I tried to change web browsers and changing variables on the config file but still the same error, mb the webdrivers need to be updated ?
Yeah, Edge and Chrome probably needs the updated webdrivers. Firefox still works though.

Edit: Yup, just tested. Needs an update. You can find the webdrivers here: , , ,

Last edited:

jowishg

Yare yare dawa (ง •̀_•́)ง
Donor
May 6, 2018
Yeah, Edge and Chrome probably needs the updated webdrivers. Firefox still works though.

Edit: Yup, just tested. Needs an update. You can find the webdrivers here: , , ,
Will try that, thanks !

julayi

Apr 22, 2020
Just started using this and its fucking incredible. The translation with deepl is unlike any other. Just wanted to say thanks to asdasfa9 for this. Also, the cache option is a stroke of genius! One thing though, I was wondering if it was possible to decrease the opacity of the window but not the text that's been translated? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: asdasfa9

Ivari

Formerly 'Mikkado'
Feb 3, 2018
Can you explain how the cache works? If I want to create a separate cache for each game, do I create a new cache profile subdirectory aside from [current] inside the cache directory?

Ivari

Formerly 'Mikkado'
Feb 3, 2018
Code:
jDeppL v2.3.3
Java version: Eclipse OpenJ9 1.8.0_275
Initializing jDeppL...
Loading configurations...
File: config.toml found, loading...
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "sers"
    at com.moandjiezana.toml.Toml.read(Toml.java:74)
    at com.asdasfa.jdeppl.AppConfig.<init>(AppConfig.java:128)
    at com.asdasfa.jdeppl.MainApplication.<init>(MainApplication.java:116)
    at com.asdasfa.jdeppl.Main.main(Main.java:20)
Caused by: java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: "sers"
    at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.java:65)
    at java.lang.Integer.parseInt(Integer.java:580)
    at com.moandjiezana.toml.StringValueReaderWriter.replaceUnicodeCharacters(StringValueReaderWriter.java:67)
    at com.moandjiezana.toml.StringValueReaderWriter.read(StringValueReaderWriter.java:51)
    at com.moandjiezana.toml.ValueReaders.convert(ValueReaders.java:23)
    at com.moandjiezana.toml.TomlParser.run(TomlParser.java:49)
    at com.moandjiezana.toml.Toml.read(Toml.java:138)
    at com.moandjiezana.toml.Toml.read(Toml.java:107)
    at com.moandjiezana.toml.Toml.read(Toml.java:72)
    ... 3 more

Failed to load config file, using defaults...
I'm having a problem where this happens on every other run or so of jDeppL, it resets the config file to use firefox by default, and when I change it to chrome and run it again, it works, but upon exiting and relaunch, it does this again.