[Job] How much does a DAZ3D Designer take ?

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Hmmm must say. looks pretty good.

Ya, I thought about adding that tutorial series and a few others, but I wanted to keep my list of recommendations small and focused on ones that made use of the light probes, which so far most do not. With the engine being so new still, a lot of people haven't fully wrapped their heads around the proper workflow. They still get good results, like with that series you linked, but not as good as they could have if they took the extra 5-10 minutes to get probes setup and baked.

Atm I'm really loving Blender 2.8, it took me a few weeks and a lot of UI customization to warm up to it. But now I don't even want to go back to 2.79 unless I absolutely have to, and thanks to addon devs being pretty proactive with getting 2.8 support out, I don't really have to much anymore. I've only started to scratch the surface with Eevee, but I'm loving most everything about it so far. I kinda wish they would bring hemi lamps back in for it, and really a bit more in the full control art lighting department in general (since I tend to like a slightly more npr approach to things), but overall it's been very capable once you start to get a handle on how to leverage it properly.

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Ya, I thought about adding that tutorial series and a few others, but I wanted to keep my list of recommendations small and focused on ones that made use of the light probes, which so far most do not. With the engine being so new still, a lot of people haven't fully wrapped their heads around the proper workflow. They still get good results, like with that series you linked, but not as good as they could have if they took the extra 5-10 minutes to get probes setup and baked.

Atm I'm really loving Blender 2.8, it took me a few weeks and a lot of UI customization to warm up to it. But now I don't even want to go back to 2.79 unless I absolutely have to, and thanks to addon devs being pretty proactive with getting 2.8 support out, I don't really have to much anymore. I've only started to scratch the surface with Eevee, but I'm loving most everything about it so far. I kinda wish they would bring hemi lamps back in for it, and really a bit more in the full control art lighting department in general (since I tend to like a slightly more npr approach to things), but overall it's been very capable once you start to get a handle on how to leverage it properly.

I think problem of most devs is that they must working on upcoming releases and they don't have much time to spend with learning much new thisng like this new rendering way. They just need to release new update in decent time :)

Reactions: Canto Forte

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Well, for those using DAZ, that addon I linked to above can convert materials to the type used by Blender for both Cycles and Eevee and should only need a little bit of tweaking to work properly. That should get folks about 80+% of the way there, the rest is just getting the lighting setup, which should be fairly similar in any rendering setup. The probes may be new for those who haven't worked with real time engines before, but they are pretty standard for anyone who's messed around with a PBR setup for any of the common modern game engines (UE4, Unity, and Godot all offer something similar). It may also take a bit of time to get comfortable with the animation tools, but they are vastly superior to anything DAZ will ever offer and with a bit of work at setting up a good set of helper bone controls, it should lead to huge improvements in both the quality of poses/animations and shortening the time it takes to get them made.

Considering I keep hearing you guys talk about the many hours it takes to render out animations, it shouldn't be that big a deal to give up a few days of that to learn the basics of a new solution that will eliminate that insane overhead and lead to much faster turn around and/or high volumes of new content per release. I started with Blender a long time ago, back around 2.42 or so. The UI was pretty terrible back then and quality tutorial content was few and far between, yet I managed to get a good handle on Blender within 2 weeks with a few hours put into it each day. That should be more than enough time for just about anyone to get up to speed with the basics of 2.8 and Eevee. Even going at a slower pace, following along with just a single tutorial a day for a month or so when you can fit it in throughout the day.

Once that is done, it means significant savings in time (and hardware requirements for those who are looking at crazy expensive upgrades in order to be able to eke out a slight speed up in iRay or the likes). Seems like the sort of investment that would be worth having a single slightly late or lean update in exchange for the future benefits devs and their patrons would reap from it. I would imagine most patrons would be rather understanding as long as they are made aware of the situation and what it will mean to future updates in terms of improved quality and quantity.

Reactions: Joraell