README KAT Community News.

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Hi!

Has some of you are no doubt aware, KAT is currently down. It's been down for at least 24 hours give or take with no warning, and to my knowledge no one was expecting it. At least, the people who have contacted me certainly weren't.

If you follow , whose been working with us to help promote the site a bit, you've probably seen why the timing of all this is not great. We're very close to having torrents ready to go.

Unfortunately I have no 100% clear answer as to why this is happening. I want to tell you it's just a massive change in hardware allocation, based off of what I know right now, but I can't be certain yet. While typing this, I've been informed some kind of message will be made on ET(ExtraTorrent) by one of our Forum Moderators ZombieQueen. Knowing ZQ this could mean any number of things really.

Will update more when anything of note happens. If you have any questions, I can try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Reactions: F95

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016

This article is on the front page of r/all yayy.

Inb4governmenthoneypotsting.
Neato

I have no idea whats currently going on with KAT as I am away and it's borderline impossible to login right now. Tho I really want to. :/

Good to see things have started actually kicking off in time for christmas. :D

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
Been trying all day also - TF said it wasn't serious!!!

Buffalo Fred

Aug 5, 2016
it's only 1.3km in size - and in the middle of no-where - lol.
Maybe we can share - Hahaha:p
Absolutely! They should build a shared diner and Danes and Canadians can argue over what's best, Danish bacon or Canadian bacon. :p

@cenderius They want it for the strategic value I guess, in terms of sealanes and military presence. There is nothing of value on the island itself. A bit like the Falklands and England vs Argentina back in the day.

Reactions: Twistty

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
That site is aways down for me. I checked it once but it was down already.

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
MMk. Bump.

Site should be far more stable now.

If you aren't already aware, anyone can apply for uploader status and upload their stuff after a quick check. Just like before. Some of the uploaders here may want to do that if they wish.

(Account Required.)

Unlike the old site, there is some kind of passkey thing going on that appears to be required. Info here -->
This was enabled while I was away and I don't know much about it, other than I had issues with it myself for a bit.

I don't know why exactly that's there, but I can assume that the torrent area is built off a pre existing torrent framework. Likely a simple version of what you might see on private sites or some other public sites. Undoubtedly this will change as time goes on.

Casual Uploaders must adhere to old site rules. -->
If you feel a torrent was deleted incorrectly, ask a Super Mod or the Mod who did it (they'll probably have messaged you with the reason) and it will be looked into. You can also message me here I guess and I'll have a peek. We do have rules for XXX uploaders like you guys, should you want to start, but it's still being worked on. Big thing tho is no RARs. Zip files are fine. Don't ask, that rule was set way before I started, but is enforced rather quickly.

That's all I got for now. This was just a lazy bump attempt. If you have any questions let me know.

ace_boogie

Professional Asshole
Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
What's wrong with the rar file extension and what's the difference

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
What's wrong with the rar file extension and what's the difference
I'm not 100% sure on this. Has I never really asked or thought about it much. This only applies to casual uploaders tho, so I assume it's to lessen fakes. .RAR is easy, everyone knows it and it's the default archiving for pretty much everyone, making it ideal for fakes and malware spreading. I might ask about it later tho.

Reactions: Twistty

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
I'm not 100% sure on this. Has I never really asked or thought about it much. This only applies to casual uploaders tho, so I assume it's to lessen fakes. .RAR is easy, everyone knows it and it's the default archiving for pretty much everyone, making it ideal for fakes and malware spreading. I might ask about it later tho.
I am curious about the .RAR rule also. Never knew that - I never had an issuse with them on the old site.

Nootky

Respected User
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Asked.

Basics, I was right. Is a precaution.

RARs were used for less than friendly reasons, sooooo Casual uploaders cannot upload rars. Other archiving/packing is generally fine.

A few(read many) bad eggs ruined that particular form of archiving for everyone.

This does not apply to VUL and above.

I know it can be annoying, but it's a rule that probably won't change. Sorry.

Twistty

The Happy Beaver
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
Sep 9, 2016
Asked.

Basics, I was right. Is a precaution.

RARs were used for less than friendly reasons, sooooo Casual uploaders cannot upload rars. Other archiving/packing is generally fine.

A few(read many) bad eggs ruined that particular form of archiving for everyone.

This does not apply to VUL and above.

I know it can be annoying, but it's a rule that probably won't change. Sorry.
Thanks that clears things up!!!
.7z files should be fine though?
Or is it just the old .ZIP that is recommended?