Unity Completed KoboldKare [2024-03-26] [Naelstrof]

3.40 star(s) 18 Votes

catsdino

Aug 6, 2019
Haven't really tested the saves in it yet, but I wouldn't recommend going out of one's way to grab the newest version. The devs changed a TON of stuff and some of it is very rough right now.

After just a short look, there's a new map (again, but it's a lot smaller this time), new stores and items to buy, new house and even a new "container system". Gone are the days of the universal sprayer, we now get a separate watering can, bucket, tub and a suction cup for milk (I think there was a fleshlight mentioned on github too, but I can't confirm if it's in yet). The lootboxes seem absent too. Everything that was changed looks like it could use some polish, and the devs seem to be working on just that. If someone wants to just enjoy a relatively stable and documented gameplay loop, they should stick to the previous version and give this one some more time.
Is the map smaller again? That's a good thing, the one in the last build was too big for the day night cycle and you had to retreat too fast before you could mix anything and plant eggs.

danob

Aug 10, 2020
Is the map smaller again? That's a good thing, the one in the last build was too big for the day night cycle and you had to retreat too fast before you could mix anything and plant eggs.
It is and yes that's an arguably good thing, but it doesn't really give you much more time, at least not from the get go, because the whole "flow of the gameplay" also changed. It takes a lot longer to get to the point that you could reach in like 1h before.

Also, while at it, lemme post the new changelog from Steam:

First foray into open-source!
This took a long longer than I expected, though this is the first build that has zero paid assets in it!

Despite the majority of the work being spent ripping out paid assets, there's still quite a few changes that I'd love to share:

Steam Audio: Instead of messing with my home-grown reverb system, KoboldKare now uses Steam Audio for some awesome realtime audio reflections and reverb. This does take a decent amount of CPU, and can be easily disabled in the Audio options menu.
Raymarched goop: All fluids now use an analytical raymarching algorithm to really make things goopy and sloppy, it still needs an optimization pass and can be disabled by setting Goop Quality to 0 under the Graphics Options.

Custom Terrain system: KoboldKare uses a custom brush-based terrain that fully supports very dense grass and even decals! Paint the whole world and make a huge mess!
New stores: A hardware store, a gardening store, and a construction building enter the city. All with functioning stock to buy!

Item rework: No more "egg boxes", you work straight with eggs now. Flasks have been replaced by more thematically appropriate gardening tools, and there's a dedicated item for milking kobolds now. New models for all seeds!
You can change an NPC kobold's inventory by simply throwing equipment at them!
Penetration refactor: This is definitely not the last rework, but now penetrators can enter any hole (oral), go all-the-way-through, has proper oviposition, tentacles, and is generally faster and more stable. Definitely makes everything rubbery and stretchy though, hope yall like it!
Multiplayer now has text chat! Press enter to yip and yap with other players.

Better controller support: Menus are now traversable and browsable with just a gamepad, and keybinding hints in-game switch to gamepad equivalents to help with learning the controls.
Added buckets, they function as a lower-level watering can, but also are great for storing lots of fluids.

Physics-based animations are no longer flimsy, because ragdoll limbs actually have rotation forces now. Definitely needs a bit more dialing in though.
Decals no longer create seams on models if your graphics card supports Conservative Rasterization.

Added an onahole to ZanyZtuff, you can finally jerk other kobolds off, or share it with them!

Player Preference rework: There was a series of bugs that was caused by the old json player preference system. All user options will be reset and stored in the registry now for simplicity. On the bright side options are super clean and easy to work with as a developer!
Jiggle physics fixes, they work at any framerate, and no longer flip out when trying to "catch up" during hitches.
Temporarily disabled kobold imposters, try not to make too many meanwhile please!!
New map: after testing the large scale map, I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't working out! It scoped the project up majorly without much of an upside. The map is now smaller and easier to work with, it's lacking polish currently but as the project goes on the areas will be small but packed with tons of detail and purpose.
Lighting adjustments, more ambient light, better use of ACES, and a new Brightness graphics slider for those who have different kinds of monitors.

With all that out of the way, I've had some realizations on where I want KoboldKare to go. For the next couple months I'm going to focus on two things: Scoping down and simplifying.
Systems are getting very complex, bugs are really difficult to fix, and systems are noodly and far-reaching. The game being open-source is pointless if the systems are impossible to penetrate. (hah)

I'm confident that I can get KoboldKare to be a clean, simple, and fun game-- though for now you'll have to deal with the current buggy mess! Sorry!!

merptank24

Jul 12, 2021
also the fluids in general got overhauled but dont for some reason dont show up properly atleast for me while being dispensed from the grinder

mimospros

Apr 2, 2018
Man! its october already. Why not post new version if possible. Just dont delete link to older one for those, who didnt liked changes.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: popior

Amego

Jul 7, 2017
holy shit, devs still don't know if they want to have a large map or a small one, and there is alot bugs and sex animations are still bad, in old version were better...

qweqwek

Feb 25, 2020
holy shit, devs still don't know if they want to have a large map or a small one, and there is alot bugs and sex animations are still bad, in old version were better...
I think the new map is decent this time, but the house is definitely a downgrade. I don't know if it's just me, but the game is running a lot smoother now. I just wish they would fix those damn animations, it feels like smashing rubber toys against each other.

fudejoranek

Oct 30, 2018
They should go back to the first farm with the second house. Add the ability to plant seeds for the reagents and ordering items remotely to the farm. Then block off the path away from the farm, because fuck having huge areas with nothing in them and a really inconvenient shopping system.

catsdino

Aug 6, 2019
They should go back to the first farm with the second house. Add the ability to plant seeds for the reagents and ordering items remotely to the farm. Then block off the path away from the farm, because fuck having huge areas with nothing in them and a really inconvenient shopping system.
I agree with this. The first farm with the house was great. The forest just needed to be reworked a tiny bit and some other paths made. I don't know why they didn't just keep the nice hub setup and make things fleshed out between them. The stores were already empty and the city had plenty of room to add junk in

popior

Apr 23, 2018
Question how do u even fill the buckets with the melons juice and stuff? Cause I though u had to fill it with water and then do the juice.
you need to buy mixer thing in shop (at the entrance of city to the right) then take some thing that want to get juice and throw it into mixer

kurisu7885

Feb 16, 2020
There really needs to be a better way to get fluids into the buckets instead of just holding it and hoping for the best, especially form ilking kobolds.

Reactions: catsdino
Mar 16, 2018
has anyone else been randomly banned from the discord for seemingly no reason?
koboldkare discord has just completely disappeared from my list, no warnings, no pings, no dms from mods.
if anyone knows what happened, how i can actually get unbanned, or how i could appeal for an unban that would be great

3.40 star(s) 18 Votes