4.20 star(s) 17 Votes

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
That's a hella cartoonish way to explosion.
Not many options for how to blow up a planet with my resources. I worked with what I had. I mean, I'm not running a movie studio with millions to pay for big time special effects (I wish I was, that would be awesome). But... it's just a simple visual novel after all. ;)

It's not out of the question that an intelligent race once arrived on Earth, took a few samples of our race and relocated them to another planet as seen in Oppai Odyssey with the cloned humans on Xerxes.
But the name of this is Last Human... would kinda defeat the idea and ruin the things that are coming up later in the series. Not to mention, I try to avoid doing anything other devs are doing.

Oppai Odyssey is great stuff, Cryo is a good friend and talented developer (also using HS2). I really need to go play his game and catch up once I get a break between my own work.

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
Not many options for how to blow up a planet with my resources
On the contrary, I think you could. Have you ever seen a render of what it would look like if the moon got too close to Earth? I think a different result for the time investment would have made it look less dramatic but more realistic. People love explosions, sure. But if the idea is that it's the moon destroying Earth, then a render showing the moon crashing into the Earth in a still image with that explosion effect taking place on the impact zone, that could have still looked pretty nice. No use going back to changing it now I suppose.

But the name of this is Last Human...
I acknowledged this fact and could have worded it better.

Sybil best girl, fight me! (purple haired girl from Oppai Odyssey)

Oh and it's pretty cool to see Serenity and Last human clash like this with Rin's back and forth visit between the two.
My god... I mean I shouldn't be surprised considering it's the same dev behind both games but still. There is something magical about seeing references from two different games. I suppose some of the magic is lost knowing it's the same dev but you know...

Oh and the "pet" thing kinda weirded me out... had to change it to "Partner". Seems neutral enough

Last edited:

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Oh and the "pet" thing kinda weirded me out... had to change it to "Partner". Seems neutral enough
LMAO! That's gotta sound funny during some sex scenes! "Oh partner! It's so deep!!!" :LOL:

On the contrary, I think you could.
No, I couldn't LOL. I mean, could I have spent more time making it more and more realistic? Sure. But I already spend an enormous amount of time on a lot of scenes, a lot more than I did when I first started doing this. Back then, I used to release every month. Now I take longer with scenes and I'm releasing like every 3 to 4 months (well, release Serenity, then Last Human, then Serenity again, etc...). At some point with the resources we have, you have to draw a line and move on. There is only so much realism you're going to get out of HS2, and right now a lot of HS2 devs are really pushing the envelope. You spend longer, then people gripe because it takes so long for an update... it's a vicious circle that a dev can never win. Either you have great renders and it takes a long time, or you rush through it and have subpar renders, and release monthly or even less.

Either way, I think the explosion is fine how it is considering. I redid that event around 8 times before I found something that even looked like an explosion (the render with the ship in focus and the earth far behind it). It's more challenging than you might think making some scenes. I've sent renders to fellow devs asking "man, does this look jank?" I don't know how many times LOL. So believe me when I tell you, I definitely try to make things look as nice as I can. And even then, I go back and see renders in the game that I want to go redo again, only to feel the same way about the same render again after redoing it. What happens next is what happened to Glacerose. He kept changing things so much he pretty much burnt out on it. He had a great game in the works. Now he's MIA. Super nice, cool dude. I hope he's okay.

Well anyway, I said more about this than I intended to. I just get maybe a little too defensive sometimes so don't take it the wrong way. Doing this shit is a lot harder than people think, especially when you're doing it alone.

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
LMAO! That's gotta sound funny during some sex scenes! "Oh partner! It's so deep!!!"
Oh I don't know about that "Oh pet! It's so deep!!!" sounds even worse

He kept changing things so much he pretty much burnt out on it. He had a great game in the works. Now he's MIA. Super nice, cool dude. I hope he's okay.
Well that's... very sad indeed. It seems like behavior a perfectionist would run into often.
Wait, you were talking about Sylphine huh... Yeah I did have plans on playing that eventually as the rude purple haired one intrigued me somewhat. 3-4y absence give or take.

I just get maybe a little too defensive sometimes so don't take it the wrong way. Doing this shit is a lot harder than people think, especially when you're doing it alone.
Don't worry about it. I'm sensitive and I'm the defensive type too. I am the negative type and tend to point out the negatives. I may seem insensitive but it's just that I don't tend to point out good things unless they are really good and resonate with me. It doesn't mean I don't see it and I can understand there are some restrictions here and there but from my pov, I may have just left Earth in that hot condition and never triggered the explosion. The player should already know the moon is hurtling towards the planet and since it was already on fire in an alarmingly fast time period, it would likely take far too long for the planet to cool down again and when it eventually does, it would have a massive crater and no moon to control the tides etc. The explosion was just a little extra I would say. And a convenient way to tell the player that "No, the mc is never returning to this planet"

In other news.
For some reason, this sentence resonated with me. "I would never put anyone here in danger unless I am willing to be in the same danger myself" A true hero's way of speaking I suppose

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
The Pantherians dislike humans because they have fear, but fear is a survival instinct and the reason we survive. So are the Pantherians just completely wrong about their dislike?
They just mentioned why they dislike it so much, sort of. Stops you from enjoying the good things in life. I mean, I guess? I can't say I see anything positive about having a fear of spiders, but that's an irrational fear and not a reasonable one and I think it's ultra important to clarify this somehow.

They also dislike humans for their destructive nature, but I believe it's because we are so destructive and evil to each other that we also learned to tolerate it, learned to rebuild quickly and learned to keep improving our crafts in hopes that they will not break again so easily or will do their job better to generate resources and technological advancement etc. Perhaps the ship and the nanobots humanity built and the skeleton the mc has was all a result of this constant will struggle to destroy and rebuild.
Like the Pantherians always lived a somewhat struggle free live away from conflict, making their society thrive, but they may not have had the same ambition as humans so humans had an opportunity to overtake them in technological advancement. I don't know, just a thought I guess.

Mutation8888

Jun 15, 2022
The Pantherians dislike humans because they have fear, but fear is a survival instinct and the reason we survive. So are the Pantherians just completely wrong about their dislike?
They just mentioned why they dislike it so much, sort of. Stops you from enjoying the good things in life. I mean, I guess? I can't say I see anything positive about having a fear of spiders, but that's an irrational fear and not a reasonable one and I think it's ultra important to clarify this somehow.

They also dislike humans for their destructive nature, but I believe it's because we are so destructive and evil to each other that we also learned to tolerate it, learned to rebuild quickly and learned to keep improving our crafts in hopes that they will not break again so easily or will do their job better to generate resources and technological advancement etc. Perhaps the ship and the nanobots humanity built and the skeleton the mc has was all a result of this constant will struggle to destroy and rebuild.
Like the Pantherians always lived a somewhat struggle free live away from conflict, making their society thrive, but they may not have had the same ambition as humans so humans had an opportunity to overtake them in technological advancement. I don't know, just a thought I guess.
Fear is an instinct in all creatures that want to actually continue to survive. Pantherians have fear, but their cultural taboos against fear are more of a leftover warrior code to not let fear control them is what I take from it. They dislike Humanities' propensity to let fear keep them from going through with what needs to be done. Having fear and showing fear are two different things.
In the case of destructive tendencies.. that is also based in letting fear override our better judgement. We destroy what we fear. That in itself is a survival instinct as well, but if we let fear control us too much, would we not become even more destructive on a truly xenophobic scale?
I agree with you that fear and destruction/rebuilding can lead to advancement. Wars often bring about the greatest advancements of science, just used in the most destructive ways.

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019

FWIW... the "fear" thing is somewhat inspired by Dune (the original movie from the 80's for me personally, I don't care for that new one).

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Yes, every species has fear. But how they deal with it can be different. This subject will come up in episode 4 by the way.

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
Pantherians have fear, but their cultural taboos against fear are more of a leftover warrior code to not let fear control them is what I take from it. They dislike Humanities' propensity to let fear keep them from going through with what needs to be done. Having fear and showing fear are two different things.
You are correct :)

But also important to note that though they frown on fear, they are by no means without it. This is a very small thing in Last Human, just a little piece of lore (if you will) that I wanted to have in there. The next episode (and future ones) will briefly touch on the subject again.

VoidExile

Oct 1, 2018
Need a little reminder. Did we ever see the mc's face in Serenity? I am at "that" prat in Last Human now and I don't think we ever did. I wonder why that is?
Hmm, is it also possible that this part after walking through the portal takes place past the current Serenity story?
It's odd. Serenity only mentioned Last human references a couple times with Pantheria being the home of those two and the cliffhanger with Rin going there, maybe another somewhere. But Last human is loaded with lots of references to Serenity.

Damn... you never really know when the game is gonna end, huh. That was surprisingly short... was that really all there was for 0.6? Hmm, I guess it makes sense if you look at it from a seasons perspective, yeah. I overestimated how much content was in the game. Serenity is way ahead

Last edited:

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
I've never seen any of the films but the books are some of my favs.
The movies focus on what can be visually impactful. The books on what is emotionally important. But while these latest movies are not bad, even with several excesses typical of the time, the 80's one is superior in respect to the story.

There is no "better" one way to experience Dune's story, when I read the books, I truly felt no need for a movie. The prose is descriptive enough to allow us to build the environments by ourselves. If you are a reader, you really don't need the movies.

How does that translate to a medium that is a hybrid of visuals and words? I've yet to find an answer. Some authors excel in the "Show Don't Tell" part, others keep a strong narration to help with what can't be shown, others choose to use a "telepathic" access to everyone's thoughts in order to allow access to what we would never be able to know otherwise. Etc...

There are no standards in this medium, YET. I hope they take a good long while to be adopted. It is interesting to see how different people tackle the issues that all face.

I do have some preferences already, but, they are not set in stone. Each time I start a new project, there's always some trepidation on the discovery of how are they going to do it... Unfortunately, most of the times it is exasperating to see how they fall in the same errors and pits many have before. But, those exceptions, oh, they are worth it. Even when sometimes they fall flat because the story is underwhelming, sometimes they surprise me.

Oh, but these are just p.... stop... don't... there's uncapped potential here. Even when sex is a part of the story, there's immense room to go above and beyond it, while, obviously, enjoying it. That is one of the worst problems this medium faces, the P0rn dilemma. Too little and no one cares, too much and the story dies.

Can this even have literary value because it includes themes that typically literature avoids? I think so. But is this a "game" or a "book"? Neither. This is a hybrid medium that can go in both directions at the same time. I only ask authors to not limit themselves and to explore this medium limits without fear.

/Rant

:: Drops down from the soap box, picks it up and vanishes in the shadows ::

Peace :)

N2TheFire

Game Developer
Dec 28, 2019
The movies focus on what can be visually impactful. The books on what is emotionally important. But while these latest movies are not bad, even with several excesses typical of the time, the 80's one is superior in respect to the story.

There is no "better" one way to experience Dune's story, when I read the books, I truly felt no need for a movie. The prose is descriptive enough to allow us to build the environments by ourselves. If you are a reader, you really don't need the movies.

How does that translate to a medium that is a hybrid of visuals and words? I've yet to find an answer. Some authors excel in the "Show Don't Tell" part, others keep a strong narration to help with what can't be shown, others choose to use a "telepathic" access to everyone's thoughts in order to allow access to what we would never be able to know otherwise. Etc...

There are no standards in this medium, YET. I hope they take a good long while to be adopted. It is interesting to see how different people tackle the issues that all face.

I do have some preferences already, but, they are not set in stone. Each time I start a new project, there's always some trepidation on the discovery of how are they going to do it... Unfortunately, most of the times it is exasperating to see how they fall in the same errors and pits many have before. But, those exceptions, oh, they are worth it. Even when sometimes they fall flat because the story is underwhelming, sometimes they surprise me.

Oh, but these are just p.... stop... don't... there's uncapped potential here. Even when sex is a part of the story, there's immense room to go above and beyond it, while, obviously, enjoying it. That is one of the worst problems this medium faces, the P0rn dilemma. Too little and no one cares, too much and the story dies.

Can this even have literary value because it includes themes that typically literature avoids? I think so. But is this a "game" or a "book"? Neither. This is a hybrid medium that can go in both directions at the same time. I only ask authors to not limit themselves and to explore this medium limits without fear.

/Rant

:: Drops down from the soap box, picks it up and vanishes in the shadows ::

Peace :)
Hey FatGiant thanks for stopping by :)
I'm probably miles away from any kind of quality writing. I've made a lot of mistakes (especially with Serenity). I do feel like the longer I do this, I improve my art just a bit more. The nice thing about this medium is that anyone who puts in the time and effort can do it, the tools are out there. That's what I did. Did I think I could write good? Not really LOL. But I do it, play other avn's, read critiques (from proper reviews), and try to keep going based on what I learn from all that.

4.20 star(s) 17 Votes