VN - Ren'Py - Law School [Ep.1] [MisterMaya]

1. 5.00 star(s)

xsikal

Really solid start toa game with a lot of content for an episode 1. Images are great, animations are solid, and settings feel lived-in. There's a good mix of potential (presumably) LIs, in terms of both physiques and personalities, as befitting the law school setting, as well as some good rivalries, frienemies, and the start to a solid story. Even the obvious comic relief slacker type character isn't particularly obnoxious, which is a hard thing to manage.

Not a ton of lewds in this first episode (several kisses, and potential for one BJ, one sex scene, a few dreams, and one voyeuristic experience), but what's there is handled well. The main character is a bit of a Gary Stu, but AVNs are power fantasies, so I don't mind that. And he seems relatively mature, handsome, and generous, if oddly obsessed with library access.

I only have a few cons. One, sometimes there are dark scenes and it's hard to tell what is going on in those scenes. Amp up the ambient lighting please! And two, the professors can be really long-winded. Even if that's true to life, there are ways to convey that without having us click through a 10-20 screen speech. Also, while this is a law school, and the curriculum seems to fit that, the students all seem to be behaving like they're 18-year-old pre-law undergraduates, whereas they'd have already gone to college before this.

Definitely looking forward to future episodes!
  2. 5.00 star(s)

matissewan11

Great amount of content for a first release, the theme of law is well studied and given considerable attention and importance. Refreshing sight of a college VN, the navigation sequences were enjoyable and not tedious. High attention to details seen in phone messages. Waiting for further releases to know more about each of MC's law school comrades. But it's extremely promising and it will be highly anticipated
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Blackheartz_

I just played through episode 1 of Law School and honestly a masterpiece episode. I enjoyed most of the characters and felt like i want to know each of them more. I really hope the next episode isnt too far away. [9.5/10 for me]

Taylor was my favorite from her model, the way she interacted with MC and she seemed incredibly inteligent just like MC. Aurora suprisingly caught me off guard, there is def more to her then just one of the school "bullies". Elsa is stunning, she also feels like the forbidden fruit of the school. Olive the sweet shy girl and I like the way you portrayed MC as her seemingly knight in shinning armor. Miranda is perfect plus her fucking eyes are perfection, she seems innocent but i feel theres a naughty side to her. Rose is an odd one here, i never felt this mixed before because i honestly can't tell if she should just be MC's best friend or they end up being the perfect couple. Lana of course is great, however i do feel like Lana's old hair better and her twin Andrea seems to be the perfect bitch u get to hate on(i wonder how it would feel to have MC hook up with both of them, we def need that threesome...or add Aurora to the mix instead haha.)

I also actually enjoy most Male character here too, which honestly rarely happens. Seriously all these character models and graphics are amazing props to you. They really seem to each have their own spice to em. Great work and i can't wait for the next update!

Also i really couldn't give two shits about Law before i played this, and you somehow ended up having me invested in law throughout the whole episode and never felt like i was just skipping the law parts of the episode which i for sure thought i would be. Really fantastic work here @MisterMaya
  4. 4.00 star(s)

Batore99

well, as a ex law student i liked a lot this game. It was a good feeling remember good times in college like the friends, teachers, exams and the game was great with some observations to be make

pros:
    - story very well written
    - MC is very likeable and have charisma
    - MC friends are likeable too and you sympathize with them
    - I liked mc rival and their faceoffs gonna be interesting
    - Most women are beautiful
    - great graphics, renders,music
    - good humour ( i liked the jokes and sarcarms)

cons
    - lana new visual ( she was great with red hair)
    - lack of sex scenes (we got 5 scenes and 3 of them are dreams)
    - sometimes excessive dialogues
    - missing some thickness and milfs
  5. 5.00 star(s)

velasco

There is a nice game at all, beautifull renders, models e story so far
    I'm already waiting for the next episodes and curious about how this story will devolop, the first ep it is very long and that's a good thing, hope that the next ones will be long as the first one
    Keep going with this nice project
  6. 3.00 star(s)

Envoye

I played just through the episode 1.
    The college story is not new, the law school is fixed to US law; so different to European law, for example drinking alcohol is allowed from 18 on. This makes some scenes ridiculous, but at least acceptable.
    The girls are looking good, but very similar. The sex scenes could be better, at the moment more to read than to watch. The change of the look of Lana is going in the wrong direction, but that is my personal opinion.
    To the story: I was surprised, that Aurora didn't try to blackmail the MC before the trial test to stop him.
    I will follow this AVN, even it is not "F.."-material. ;-)
  7. 4.00 star(s)

impatientpatient

I find writing reviews lame, but gotta glaze this one real quick.

Easily one the best 0.1 releases I have played, both quality-wise and especially length-wise (so much content damn).

Really liked it overall - MC, characters, models, the environment. I see Dev put in a lot of work. Obviously, nothing special narratively nd deals with a lot of clichéd tropes but I enjoyed them because they were nicely executed for the most part. Sexual aspect of the game is kinda mid and dialogs can get cringy occasionally tho.

Finally, college settings are overused but I fuck with the law theme. Also liked the Naruto-ass rivals aspect, fresh angle in an AVN. I want more.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

WeAreChecking

Episode.1
    Look I'll be honest if you have little to no interest in law and order or how the justice system works, you will find this avn very dragging and boring. This also have cringey college humor if you are an older person, be prepared.
    If you okay with these conditions (like I am) proceed further:

Pros:
    - Cute and likeable LIs with different characteristics.
    - Top notch renders and animations.
    - Well written with no grammatical error.
    - Likeable MC which is not a creep and likeable antagonist (so far)
    - Great humor (Subjective)
    - Decent amount of playing time for episode 1, my playing time was around 5 and a half hours.
    - We have a female best friend that doesn't secretly love MC but we can/will see the attraction developing also same goes with other LIs they don't immediately want to jump on MC, you can see the attraction build up, it feels real. To me it's the hardest thing to do and this game does it beautifully, if that makes sense.
    - As of now there is no plot but that is understandable.

Cons:
    - Some dialogues could be shorter.
    - Needs better explanation for the point system. (Selfness spectrum)
    - Also need a bar for the spectrum though we could that before next episode.

Req:
    - Some thickness is immensely appreciated.

Not a music person so don't have an idea

5 stars accordingly to me. First time reviewing cut me some slacks.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

m0us3r

TL;DR: Perfect quality game with interesting story and sexy girls.

Pro:

The models are cute. The renders are high quality and rich with details. Animations are well done. The main sex scene of Ep.1 (near the end, on Sunday) is quite erotic, with decent length and variation.

The characters are colorful and attractive. It's interesting to develop those relationships.

The story is engaging, even if some people would say that college environment is a cliché. Nothing wrong with that when it's done flawlessly. The writing is good. Dialogs can seem lengthy in a few instances, but actually not too lengthy.

The amount of content for one episode is impressive.

Con:

Just none.

[Ep.1]
  10. 5.00 star(s)

yeetermcgee123

4 star game currently but will give 5th star for now, despite the horrible intro. This a good game after the intro, and has great potential. This developer also has a strong track record and I think it will improve.

Just, the intro really should be fixed, its easy to imagine people not even bothering to play from how it starts. It is terrible UX to offer a skip button if you are not actually going to let them skip it. Why even offer it other than to annoy players?

After not being able to skip the how-to of a visual novel, the very first scene is a dream sequence with a character named "Mr Badman" - dream sequences are almost always bad in general, but to start the game off before even the MC is introduced, and with goofy character names?

After that, the game improves substantially. Its slice of life rather than a linear plot, but its well done and the characters are all well written. No ridiculous body shapes or step family members. Some of the reviews dinging the character portrayal, I actually find it refreshing where the MC is not a massive creep/dick. The portrayal of the MC in this game is that of a realistic Gary Stu. Way to many VNs have Gary Stus who have better chances of being in prison or friendless than being the guy. As for the other characters, the pettiness of some of the characters is a tad overdone, but sibling rivalry or people who never grow up (i.e. Rosie / Aurora characters) are not that uncommon.

Writing wise, the characters are well written but the word choice could be better if the game is going to be set in the US and to keep the story immersive. Just as a few examples:
    • While attorney is technically correct for "Mr Badman" in the dream sequence the better word choice would be district attorney or prosecutor, just attorney implies defense attorney

• Instead of calling it a basketball national championship, it should be a state championship, there are no national championships in the US for high school sports

• Since it is a law school setting, the age of the characters should be at least 23. In order to attend a bar accredited law school (which is a requirement to practice law in many states) you need to have a bachelors degree, which would make them 22+. Having the characters be 18 is more of a high school story than a post grad one

Its just little things like that, but other than occasional spots it is well written, and the renders and models are great. Plenty of content for a first episode as well.
  11. 2.00 star(s)

Jimayo

The positives, renders are good, writing is sort of good(see negatives), as in the dialogue is not trash and it's fairly well written.

But, the characters are just fucking stupid. You have the mc freaking out because someone took a pic of him playing with a basketball he found on the ground. Am I gonna get arrested for theft? Then this toxic gf of one of the other guys freaks out twice on him publicly because he didn't pack her second box of shoes and dumps him because he refuses to drive for hours to pick them up and what does the mc and his friends(rose and john). Tell him he's being too hasty letting their relationship end. Are you kidding me? You don't encourage someone to stick in a toxic relationship. Never stick your dick in crazy. And then the mc gets tricked into a situation where two royal cunts are trying blackmail and when the ta catches him leaving and he explains what happens she doesn't get mad at the con artist blackmailers, at a law school.

The characters are just so stupid it makes the game unplayable.
  12. 4.00 star(s)

Old Man Al

First off all, the only issue I have and what doesn't make me give 5 stars is: lawyers, judges and all the other stuff that crawls through a court. I am not a fan to begin with and playing this AVN showed me why. The endless discussions about details of some crime/misdemour. I personally find this tiresome, if you don't have that problem or even are a fan of that (you freak) take my rating as a 5/5.

Let's get to the rest.
    Renders and sex scenes are nice, maybe Rose's eyes are a bit to big for her little head from some perspectives.
    Overall I like the girls, while it is true that some of them look like they are more or less re-used from the devs other game I personally don't have a problem with that. I view it like an actor playing in different movies/roles. So that part is a 5/5 for me.

Music is on the better side and I'd rate it 4/5. The sound effects are funny and (luckily) not overused.

I like the characters in this ANV and the storytelling per se (minus the law stuff). There is a wide varity of characters and the "funny" guy of the group actually isn't the typical air-headed, cringy idiot, but has some more to offer than the first view sights would assume.
    The group dynamic of the MCs project group is actually pretty great, I even daresay it is the best part. Also the dynamic between the childhood friend Rose and the MC is great.
    But the MC is a likeable guy, so no wonder he clicks with most of the characters.
    Humor is actually (mostly) funny, not to many slap stick scenes (imo).
    Overall that part is an easy 5/5.

The freeroam is not that hard, you cannot get lost or end up not knowing what to do next (imo). And as for the one exam (minigame), if you haven't payed attention before you can relativly easy google the answers.

Also Chapter 1 is pretty long (and has much text to read - so be warned if you are not a fan of that).

As you see there is very little I don't like, sadly what I don't like is a central part - the setting per se. I still liked the overall experience and that speaks of the high quality (from my perspective) of the rest.
  13. 5.00 star(s)

hasibrahmann

I know its just the beginning but im liking it so far. hopefully the quality in the future updates remain same. wishful thinking but, hopefully we get to see more updates more frequently. good luck with this
  14. 3.00 star(s)

marspig

Does the creator like "Rose's face" so much?
    It was his "common face" from the previous game, and one face was used on several characters.

What is this? The creator assigned you a wife first? It feels bad.
    There are obviously so many good female characters in college, why do we still have to carry this burden?

Her face has become tiresome after seeing it so many times, mostly from the creator's last game.
    Take away her character and this game would be worth 5 stars to me.
  15. 1.00 star(s)

SteelyDan14

I really hate trashing something, but this is just so bad. The only thing good about it are the graphics. The rest is just... not good.

To begin with, your MC really does not have a choice with anything. I ranted about it in the thread as a joke, but sure enough as soon as you get into the story, all choices lead to the same place.

To begin with, Rose is the typical lifelong best friend who happens to be a girl and there is an underlying attraction there. I mean, how many times have we seen this? Then we have the middle school kids picking on a dude over a teddy bear and of course there is the screw up at school that the MC needs to navigate. Of course there is the phone you have to answer and respond to text messages... what is this? I hate this functionality. If you want to communicate with the MC then just communicate. The phone things were cute to begin with, but now they just interrupt the flow of the game.

Plus too many of the women/girls look alike. I could have sworn the girl in the park taking pics of the MC was Rose but with dark hair. At first I was completely confused.

The last straw for me was entering a class room and discovering it was point and click. So of course, there is really only one place you can end up sitting. It doesn't matter the order or anything, you can only sit in one place. SO WHY GIVE US THE ILLUSION OF CHOICE?

That was it for me. The whole game reeked of a rip off of so many other games and all the things ripped off are all the bad things.. From the characters to the interface. There is absolutely nothing original about this AVN besides the artwork.

It's too bad because the dev is clearly talented. Great images and a solid production, but to me it just seemed like they are trying to emulate some of the more popular and successful AVNs out there that everyone else copies. I would really like to see them do something original because I bet it would be really good.
  16. 5.00 star(s)

14emp0

(Written after playing EP1)

Pros:
    - Overall graphics and models look really good
    - animations also dont dissapoint
    - music is also great, looks like dev really tried to get something better then just some generic songs
    - minigames are fun but if you're not a fan u can skip them and the same goes for other things if there is something u could possibly not like u can always (or at least most of the time if im forgeting something) skip that
    - story is also really nice
    - its not just another fuck fest
    - the size of one episode seems really good it took me few hours to complete

cons (and i really have trouble finding them):
    - if u like loads of sex u probably will have to get some patience, its not just another fuck fest for ep 1 we got
    You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
    - no milf LIs

Overall the game goes to my top games list. Definitely worth playing if school setting is your thing.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Jaango

I liked his previous work Entrepreneur but this one seems like way more interesting than his previous work. For a demo this one got fair amount of content and it's crafted beautifully. Girls are pretty and interesting. Seems like all got unique personalities. Quality wise dev improved lot. Liked MC model he's different than usual MC models. It's a demo so there is only one choice here. It's included to show choice Ui and it's nicely done. What I didn't liked in the game was Save/Load UI I prefer usual UI for it. I think dev will change in it in the first release. Overall I enjoyed this demo. Plot seems interesting.

Keep up the good work dev looking forward to first release.
  18. 5.00 star(s)

DeFuZe

A bit early but I have to give this one a 5 star review because of how impressed I was as a first release.

Got to say now this was an amazing introductory demo for a game, it almost felt like a full fledged episode of a normal VN. Not surprising considering The entrepreneur also had fully packed episodes. As for initial impressions I'm blown away by how much MisterMaya raised the quality bar on renders, transitions, animations and it seems like we will even have a new morality system that will be impacted by our choices which is always a welcome addition as long it remains straightforward. I liked every character I've seen on the screen and I'm so intrigued to see how their interaction and relationships develop in the future.

I do hope the dev won't overwhelm himself with the mini games part like someone else from another game I follow but other than that college setting, characters, and the story are very intriguing and it's nice to see some new competition on the field. I cannot afford to follow on Patreon but I will wish list this on Steam and will definitely be there for release on day one to support it. Good luck on the project and wish you to stay healthy both mentally and physically to bring another project to its completion.

P.S. I hope our interaction with Rose develops into something more than best friends status because she is already one of my favorite characters in the game and this relationship could develop very nicely and organically through the series.
  19. 5.00 star(s)

Dessolos

It's too early to really judge this game. However for a demo it's pretty good. The visual are really good, the one sex animation looks good 2. All the girls are real pretty looks alone they are some serious competition for some other LI in some of the popular AVN's out there when it comes to looks.

Giving this a 5 star instead of 4 because despite it being too early to form a real opinion. I already love Rose she reminds me of some of my favorite LI / characters from other games. This AVN is already going in the I can't wait for an update pile because of Rose.
  20. 4.00 star(s)

Biragel

The Dev's previous work was, up until the very last chapter, one of my favorite games, but then it got a super rushed ending that left a sour taste in my mouth and of other players, as discussed in its own thread.
    Aside from that, all of the soul and quirks of MisterMaya can be seen on this as of now only demo. And its good. Far above average, although average on this site is really nothing to settle for.
    The graphics are very good, both renders and animations, the writing , even if not on par with the greats, is good, and the premise of a Law School setting should work well.
    Let's hope it gets the love it deserves not only from us users, but also from MisterMaya himself, not rushing this one aswell.