masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
what do you mean with story mode?

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Story Mode: Makes the game more like a Visual Novel by stripping out the Dungeon gameplay. No money, no items, no shops, no brothel, no fighting, no skills, no stats, no maps, no dungeon crawl, no town hub, and no mini games. Fast Forward through the entire game takes like 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
i cant do anything when i attack in a battle... the music keeps playing, i pressed every button and its not a resolution problem so what is the problem here?!?!?!!?
You probably used an AoE attack, which is bugged on R9. It is fixed on R10.

Feels like you responded to my points without actually answering them, every single time you've brushed over what I said without actually addressing it. Yes, mapping the dungeons to get through them is incredibly tedious, yes it's even more tedious doing it again and again each subsequent playthrough, yes the fights take way too long, yes other JRPGs give you actual options and things to do in combat, etc etc etc.

Ohwell. You've got a vision for the game, and that's fine. It's disapointing to see a game with such promise make such strange choices, but maybe someone else'll make a better one in the future.
I answered them, and I did make it pretty clear that mapping them is not needed.

What other options do JRPGs give that my battle system does not? Cannot say I have played plenty of them, but fairly sure I have added all the expected features such as: Basic attack, skills/spells, abilities/feats, items and a way to escape.
I actually went the extra step to put settings in order to make the other turns (companion's and enemies') faster, you can hold CTRL, and you do not even have to do the companion's turn, the AI takes care of it for you. If you need to issue a command, you simply shift + left click the icon you want in your turn and that's it. All icons are layed out at the bottom of the screen with no need to open menu after menu.

If you have other features you'd like to see (specific ones), feel free to suggest them, but as far as I know (unless I am missing something obvious here), my battle system is at least as solid as RPGM's out of the box.

-edit-
Anyways, your post did give me an idea that I have considered today: Adding a new game plus once the game is completed, which shows a pink menu with all the chibi women of danmachi, and upon clicking them it will toggle a custom storymode which skips straight to the confession event and then goes from there (in storymode).

The pink menu with the chibi women was actually my initial plan for the romance system, which was then scrapped for a more narrative one.
However a NG+ would allow me to use that idea in a much different way than I had planned.
While it may not have been the exact thing you wanted out of this game, I do thank you for the idea!

There's some type of encounter bug in one of the dead ends on the 5th floor. It randomly duplicates the enemies and your party.

It's the only place I've found that bug. So I'm guessing it's either a dev test you forgot to remove, or you tried to add a scripted encounter.

Can test it by going into and out of that cell repeatedly. The bug happens maybe 1 out of 3 fights.
Can you screenshot the cell or share the affected save? I'll go through the whole floor 5 and try to find the cause anyways. Thanks for letting me know!

i cant get past the 4th floor and im on the get E rank skill quest, it says i cant go to the 7th floor in the jornal but i cant even get to the 5th.
At that point you just need to rest (Zzz icon at the hub), grinding is not even necessary as the game offers you the chance to train your stats for 500 valis or so on that specific occasion, should you reach that point with no E rank ability.
Make sure to click Bell to know the current objective, and the HUB should highlight the next location to take anyways.

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
What other options do JRPGs give that my battle system does not?
  • Controller Support :love:
  • Party member exp
  • Customizable equipment
  • Visual cues for enemy status though one of the few old school ones that did it well was the one for idiots, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
  • More robust inventory and spells
  • 3D models & Real time tactics
  • Command Remember
Don't get me wrong you've come a long way but RPGM is years of this distilled like moonshine :LOL: has been known to really enhance the experience. Press A to select the command, press A to select the target, press A until done with no mouse movement required.

Dot Hack was good at emulating the whole MMORPG. You don't get as fine control of your party members but you can give them gifts like better equipment and basic commands.

Other games in the DanMachi franchise also offer insight into what was considered important mechanics and what could be bent to give the player a more enjoyable experience.

need to open menu after menu.
A simple design has stood the test of time. It's good for turn based combat to have simple commands that are easy to understand. Too many keyboard shortcuts just means more features that average player will forget about.

If you have other features you'd like to see (specific ones), feel free to suggest them, but as far as I know (unless I am missing something obvious here), my battle system is at least as solid as RPGM's out of the box.
:HideThePain: WASD just isn't the same as having a controller fit comfortably in my hands... Especially with good old rumble support.

chibi danmachi girls
May they be adorable.

A feature you might want to think about is a Route Map. Sable's Grimoire had a nice one that allowed the player to see what path the player was on and go back to make alterations without having to replay entire sections of their game. Some other games have a "Skip to next important choice" option to speed through previously seen scenes.

NG+ sounds like a fun feature though will you add extras like in Chrono Trigger :sneaky: Oh the joys of time travel.

While this would be more a Patreon perk an Unlock Gallery console code could be worthwhile, some will pay $5 to see the naughty bits though such a coveted feature would likely get leaked sooner or later. Some devs randomize it per release to help mitigate that.

I think the latest version said I can only have 3 spells so a feature to pay to have blunt trauma to the head and forget a spell like in pokemon would be fun. Pick a spell that sounds cool but turns out to be crap isn't fun... Can't remember the jrpg I played a long time ago but all the enemies were weak against fire and resistant to all other elements which is horribly balanced.

So with your thoughts on ending the game early are you still going to have every girl in the main menu romanceable? By now someone complaining about harems should be synonymous to a bear shitting in the woods but some of the fans enjoy the unique individual routes! Liliruca just got saved and you had Bell follow canon and run off. Such a wasted opportunity to grab her then and there and start her route.

marmot

Jul 23, 2017
Can you screenshot the cell or share the affected save? I'll go through the whole floor 5 and try to find the cause anyways. Thanks for letting me know!
It's the cell on the mini-map I'd edited in to the original image I'd posted.
Image link so you don't have to find it again: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/01/1640495_multi.jpg

Here's a youtube video of it happening:

This is on R9.

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
  • Controller Support :love:
Fair point.
In theory my game is now fully playable with controller because of story mode, but in my list (I think it was sent by you?) I still have to fix minor things such as better highlighting on the menu.

It is very sad I still did not get around improving the controller support, but my to-do list is quite huge and it only keeps piling up as I keep adding content x) At some point I'll get around fixing that.

• Customizable equipment
Yeah, that is something that is missing, so in that sense mine is a lesser/simpler system :p

• Party member exp
Companions do get experience, same way as the player does.
When Liliruca finishes an enemy with her dagger, she gains strength.
When she finishes an enemy with her crossbow, she gains dexterity, magic is gathered during story (transformations), and agility is gained while you explore the dungeon with her.
She has never gained endurance so far, but when she gets poked by the minotaur during the story, she will gain some.

Currently all of that excelia is useless, and that's actually a plot point discussed after she hides from Soma Familia.
Once she will join Hestia, all that excelia will be added (and from that point on, she will have her status updated at the same time as Bell).

• Visual cues for enemy status though one of the few old school ones that did it well was the one for idiots, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
What are those? Like status effects? Ah yeah, these are missing from the game as well.
Flashbang will eventually give the enemies blindness, but it's not added yet.

• More robust inventory and spells
What is the current inventory/spells missing? Seems fairly robust to me, albeit simple.
Only thing missing is being able to right click the icons in combat to open up a description, it is in my to-do list.

• 3D models & Real time tactics
Some of the 3D models do exist (Minotaur's, for instance) in order to make sprites and CGs, but they are not 3D in the battle as an artistic choice. I really love tokens, if it wasn't obvious from the fact I used those in Overlord H too :p
That shouldn't make my battle system any lesser complete than others using different art though.

As for real time tactics, that's not turn based.
Considering that the MC is meant to be OP, it does not leave much room for tactics either, although by knowing the monsters' weaknesses and strengths, you can cut some HP off a mob with fire resistance with your knife, then have Lili use a bomb (fire damage) to finish all of them in one shot.
Or when you are training your magic, you can use spells while Lili heals your mana.
You can also purposely go in mind down to train your endurance (while liliruca heals you), or wait to train your dexterity.

If you do not use cheats, valis are valuable, and you will need to choose where and how to spend them... You might be tempted to rank up your riposte, but that won't be as effective as feint if you are facing a quick opponent.
Likewise if you rely on magic, you have firebolt, but you are facing monsters with fire resistance you will need to get another spell.

If anything, this makes me realize that the game needs a bestiary so that players will be aware of these things.

• Command Remember
What is that?

A simple design has stood the test of time. It's good for turn based combat to have simple commands that are easy to understand. Too many keyboard shortcuts just means more features that average player will forget about.
That's the thing, there are no shortcuts. All items, spells, skills and other actions exist seamlessly at the bottom of the screen.
Only shortcuts are the possibility to attack the monsters directly by left clicking (without having to click "attack" first), and the option to issue orders.
Once I register keys, that will be a shortcut as well.

However, that is still better than having things within a menu.
In such games you have to spam the A button, but in my game you just need to click the monster you want to attack and that's it (More time consuming for using spells since you need to make an extra click to select the wanted spell).

:HideThePain: WASD just isn't the same as having a controller fit comfortably in my hands... Especially with good old rumble support.
I know, I know... I think I would be better off to gradually add these things rather than doing a complete and single overhaul of the gamepad support.

A feature you might want to think about is a Route Map. Sable's Grimoire had a nice one that allowed the player to see what path the player was on and go back to make alterations without having to replay entire sections of their game. Some other games have a "Skip to next important choice" option to speed through previously seen scenes.
That is impossible for this kind of game, in fact I have to reset the rollback feature in some parts of the game, such as the dungeon. It works for a pure VN, or close.
"Skip to the next important choice" would be more doable, but then there's the risk of skipping quests, and parts of the game where you are supposed to be in the dungeon.

NG+ sounds like a fun feature though will you add extras like in Chrono Trigger :sneaky: Oh the joys of time travel.
I do not know yet, it is just an idea I had thanks to N_yah yesterday. No time travel probably.
It'll work more like the route map you have mentioned, except in such an instance that will be possible since it will be a story mode (Pure VN).

While this would be more a Patreon perk an Unlock Gallery console code could be worthwhile, some will pay $5 to see the naughty bits though such a coveted feature would likely get leaked sooner or later. Some devs randomize it per release to help mitigate that.
Tier 5 can suggest new cheats to be added, but so far no one did yet.
I'll ping them at some point (not sure how many of them are on discord), and ask if they'd be interested.
If added, it'll be a simple console command that always work, I do not really believe in codes and stuff.

I think the latest version said I can only have 3 spells so a feature to pay to have blunt trauma to the head and forget a spell like in pokemon would be fun. Pick a spell that sounds cool but turns out to be crap isn't fun... Can't remember the jrpg I played a long time ago but all the enemies were weak against fire and resistant to all other elements which is horribly balanced.
Giving the option to forget something you have spent 1,000,000 vali (or more) on would be almost as bad as NTR.
At some point the dungeon will be more filled with stuff, including puzzles that will grant you artifacts to overcome such limits.

So with your thoughts on ending the game early are you still going to have every girl in the main menu romanceable? By now someone complaining about harems should be synonymous to a bear shitting in the woods but some of the fans enjoy the unique individual routes! Liliruca just got saved and you had Bell follow canon and run off. Such a wasted opportunity to grab her then and there and start her route.
Eina, Hestia, Liliruca, Lena, Samira, Airmid and Tiona will be there for sure. Demeter, Artemis and Aisha too.
My thought is that once I start DxD which will be much simpler to develop (Kinetic, with a standard harem and just few gameplay elements), I should have enough time to develop some side games involving characters I did not cover from Overlord H, and a sequel to this game too.
The initial plan was to have a side game now, but this game is eating way too much time, more than I originally thought.

Actually Bell was not the one to run away, Liliruca did.
She transformed and quickly sneaked away, Bell was very close to look for her until he encounters her on the third day (Only because she wanted to be found).
She explains why, and before Hestia has the talk with her, she is an emotional mess so it would not have worked.

However, Liliruca's route is really close. Her confession event happens on R12.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It's the cell on the mini-map I'd edited in to the original image I'd posted.
Image link so you don't have to find it again: https://attachments.f95zone.to/2022/01/1640495_multi.jpg

Here's a youtube video of it happening:

This is on R9.
Thank you, I will look into it now.

-Edit-
Hm... Well, that's sure a really good discovery. It was not as easy to fix as I thought x) I have no clue why that is occuring only on that specific spot and nowhere else. I'll try to debug it later, maybe add some spooky bloody text on the wall there and turn a bug into a cursed spot or something :D

Last edited:

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
Fair point.
In theory my game is now fully playable with controller because of story mode, but in my list (I think it was sent by you?) I still have to fix minor things such as better highlighting on the menu.
Yep, I've been harping about that for awhile :whistle:
Still you cock block the harem route in story mode so :ROFLMAO: I play games to play games so knowing some completionist can't be asked to play is delightfully spiteful.

It is very sad I still did not get around improving the controller support, but my to-do list is quite huge and it only keeps piling up as I keep adding content x) At some point I'll get around fixing that.
I remember the early days of tapping so it's improving now just got to get the WASD mapped to the D-Pad or Analog Stick. Having the camera mapped to the shoulder buttons would be great.

Yeah, that is something that is missing, so in that sense mine is a lesser/simpler system :p
Mystic Quest did the same thing were it auto equipped the best equipment to make it simpler for western audiences.

Companions do get experience, same way as the player does.
When Liliruca finishes an enemy with her dagger, she gains strength.
When she finishes an enemy with her crossbow, she gains dexterity, magic is gathered during story (transformations), and agility is gained while you explore the dungeon with her.
She has never gained endurance so far, but when she gets poked by the minotaur during the story, she will gain some.
That doesn't do much in later floors when she auto hides like Edward from Final Fantasy 4. Help me fight... Run Away!

I can't be the only one looking forward to Liliruca getting played with by Hestia, can I :unsure: Just a little hands on stat boost, I'm sure the drunk god wouldn't even notice since they're drunk.

Once she will join Hestia, all that excelia will be added (and from that point on, she will have her status updated at the same time as Bell).
Why does that sound like how a threesome setup gets started... Bell hanging around with a lot of shirtless girls and you say he isn't good harem potential :oops:

What are those? Like status effects? Ah yeah, these are missing from the game as well.
Flashbang will eventually give the enemies blindness, but it's not added yet.
Back when devs were competing with static enemies that had different ideas to spice things up. One was to show different sprites for full health, damaged, and dying.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It spices things up and gives the player something entertaining to watch as the battle unfolds. The current one still has an old Dragon Warrior appeal to it.

What is the current inventory/spells missing? Seems fairly robust to me, albeit simple.
Only thing missing is being able to right click the icons in combat to open up a description, it is in my to-do list.
Menus that contain multiple options :p The mouse oriented is more for Runescape or World of Warcraft.

Some of the 3D models do exist (Minotaur's, for instance) in order to make sprites and CGs, but they are not 3D in the battle as an artistic choice. I really love tokens, if it wasn't obvious from the fact I used those in Overlord H too :p
That shouldn't make my battle system any lesser complete than others using different art though.
True but when you ask what do those other JRPG hussies have that you don't well the library is a behemoth.

Considering that the MC is meant to be OP, it does not leave much room for tactics either, although by knowing the monsters' weaknesses and strengths, you can cut some HP off a mob with fire resistance with your knife, then have Lili use a bomb (fire damage) to finish all of them in one shot.
This is why it's hard to transcribe OP fictional heroes to games. The OPness is a reward for hard work but doesn't translate to fun when compared to swatting flies. It skipped the Hero's Journey.

If anything, this makes me realize that the game needs a bestiary so that players will be aware of these things.
That also showcases the artwork that went into the game :D

What is that?
A godsend for players who use controllers. It remembers the last command like attack, used skill, or item. Pretty much if I want to spam fireballs it's easier if I don't have to keep selecting fireballs every time my turn comes up. A lot of the mouse focused design isn't so elegant when a mouse isn't available. Someday I dream of kicking back, have this on a big tv screen, and doing some dungeon crawling :LOL:

However, that is still better than having things within a menu.
In such games you have to spam the A button, but in my game you just need to click the monster you want to attack and that's it (More time consuming for using spells since you need to make an extra click to select the wanted spell).
Did RPG menus hurt you in some way? Is there some past trauma you would like to get off your chest? Just so you know there are fans who love you and will help you come to terms and maybe someday you'll learn to love again.

I know, I know... I think I would be better off to gradually add these things rather than doing a complete and single overhaul of the gamepad support.
I'll be here waiting patiently for that promised day.

That is impossible for this kind of game, in fact I have to reset the rollback feature in some parts of the game, such as the dungeon. It works for a pure VN, or close.
"Skip to the next important choice" would be more doable, but then there's the risk of skipping quests, and parts of the game where you are supposed to be in the dungeon.
Yeah it would work best in Story Mode. Impossible is a bit of a stretch as if you got it working in Story Mode it's just a spin on New Game +.

I do not know yet, it is just an idea I had thanks to N_yah yesterday. No time travel probably.
It'll work more like the route map you have mentioned, except in such an instance that will be possible since it will be a story mode (Pure VN).
Aw, it would have been fun to go back to the moments when Bell was weak/poor and just flip those events on their heads.

Tier 5 can suggest new cheats to be added, but so far no one did yet.
I'll ping them at some point (not sure how many of them are on discord), and ask if they'd be interested.
If added, it'll be a simple console command that always work, I do not really believe in codes and stuff.
I was curious so I looked this up and Tier 5 is your $20 package that's SOLD OUT... A poll for the common riff raff would be great.

Giving the option to forget something you have spent 1,000,000 vali (or more) on would be almost as bad as NTR.
At some point the dungeon will be more filled with stuff, including puzzles that will grant you artifacts to overcome such limits.
Nah, letting the player make mistakes and offering them the ability to correct them is part of the experience. Having skills be equipable with only three slots would be a better alternative then you've picked your skills now lie in the bed you've made. Sure give a warning that they are doing something stupid but it's better then not letting them do it at all.

Imagine if the player picks no AoE skills and learns of this after it's too late and they used up all their precious slots then it's off to quest for the fabled item to get another slot.

Watching your wallet get fucked is a bit different then watching your girl get fucked :KEK:

Eina, Hestia, Liliruca, Lena, Samira, Airmid and Tiona will be there for sure. Demeter, Artemis and Aisha too.
My thought is that once I start DxD which will be much simpler to develop (Kinetic, with a standard harem and just few gameplay elements), I should have enough time to develop some side games involving characters I did not cover from Overlord H, and a sequel to this game too.
The initial plan was to have a side game now, but this game is eating way too much time, more than I originally thought.
That's understandable as you've got both the fans that want good gameplay and the ones that want a quick wank tugging at you.

Actually Bell was not the one to run away, Liliruca did.
She transformed and quickly sneaked away, Bell was very close to look for her until he encounters her on the third day (Only because she wanted to be found).
She explains why, and before Hestia has the talk with her, she is an emotional mess so it would not have worked.
Here I thought with a girl in each of his arms it was him who fled after they had that touching meeting together. Treating them both to dinner would have been fun. Doesn't help that at that time he starts intense training.

However, Liliruca's route is really close. Her confession event happens on R12.
:love: I look forward to that!

• Haha
Reactions: hofom77573

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
so its gonna be a game with ALOT of girls yet MC can only pick one ?? bruh..
Meh not every game needs a harem. Winterfire tried expanding their horizons with this one by playing with more gameplay elements. But for those that can't look one page back:
Including a harem here goes against my vision and understanding of Danmachi, I am far from being the biggest fan of the series, but I have read and watched Danmachi quite a few times, and I cannot picture Bell owning a harem... At all.
Those mix-ups are also super weird.

The closest to that will be the mini harem I have mentioned previously (Lena + Samira + Aisha + Hestia + other possible candidates I will have to consider once I reach that point), but only because I know I can make it work without screwing up the characters.

• Angry
Reactions: acondo

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I feel like people are misunderstanding something here: Even if I somehow managed to include all the characters in a harem route, I would not reuse the same scenes for their individual routes, I would make new ones in order to have some consistency.
The game still would not be completable in a single run, with or without harem.

If you want a game with harem completable in a single run, look no further than: https://f95zone.to/sam/latest_alpha/#/cat=games/page=1/tags=173,254,1111

Asia Argento

The Golden Dragon Princess
Donor
Apr 14, 2020
I dig that you rejected the Harem tag because Bell is just that way. He seems like he would hate being selfish and making a girl sad. Too much of a kind heart and good soul. I love that he can get with one of the many chocolate beauties this series offers. Ishtar Familia = OOOOOOOO WEEEEEE!

Also, being the most famous Asia Argento simp on F95. I am pleased to hear you talking up a DxD version of this. I have long been eyeing your Overlord one for--- obvious reasons. :devilish:

Reactions: Winterfire

AlexaSky

Jun 26, 2021
I feel like people are misunderstanding something here: Even if I somehow managed to include all the characters in a harem route, I would not reuse the same scenes for their individual routes, I would make new ones in order to have some consistency.
The game still would not be completable in a single run, with or without harem.

If you want a game with harem completable in a single run, look no further than: https://f95zone.to/sam/latest_alpha/#/cat=games/page=1/tags=173,254,1111
This seems memeable...

You underestimate the power of the dark side harem :sneaky:

• Haha
Reactions: hofom77573
3.60 star(s) 19 Votes