Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
ah ok thanks,what about overlord
Same, although anything past volume 13 is custom since I needed to put an ending.
Of course in both games, different choices will lead to different outcomes but the direction of the story tries to follow the canon.

Reactions: AlexaSky

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Boy oh boy, we could sure use a compressed version, pretty please.
Unity game compressors seem to be a rare breed...
The game is already compressed by using the best compression methods available, however it is still a lengthy game (15 hours as of R26, counting only the VN part) with 3D and all that comes with it (lightmaps for instance, which are necessary for performance). Taking all this in consideration, less than 5gb is really good, you can't expect miracles :p

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Wait why cant i get the harem route in story mode? the option is blacked out
Story mode is only for those routes that do not require gameplay elements to work, which I believe are: Hestia, Eina, Liliruca, Artemis and Haruhime.

However, even in these routes some scenes might be locked out, for example inviting Hestia out to dinner or Lili's past which is an achievement scene.

• Sad
Reactions: Yamemai
Aug 13, 2017
Winterfire - this is a great game. You did a really good job, and still managed to keep things simple. Having a story mode, and helping me stay up for 24 hours, was nice too. I'm looking forward to a full save or gallery unlock code. Working two jobs doesn't leave me with much time to play, so I only have enough time to read.... 16000 words or so since I have no self control.

Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to the sequel(?)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Replying to Gintlar 's review:
Legacy of Hestia [R26]
I'm sorry but it's a bad game from every point of view.

Mediocre models, some nice, some awful.

Gameplay that I initially liked (turn-based combat, seeing Bell grow up and the usual mechanics that always worked), but after a few hours it becomes boring and slow.
Fair!

Just seeing the beginning, having to redo the first 4 floors over and over again (I understand this is how it works in the original story too, but it completely destroys the game).
"Over and over again"... It is only two times, three in the canon-ish route (I believe, not sure if at that point you unlock expedition).
Even if it was three, the floors are reasonably small and with at least two routes that contain different stuff you can unlock... Granted that you won't be able to defeat the floor boss at that point, but there are other secrets too.

The girls' routes are poorly structured, even if you play in story mode, you still have to redo (almost) everything to unlock some routes, holding skips and waiting like idiots.
So... Like any other Visual Novel with a common route, and choices leading to the heroine's route?
I'd have suggested that's how eastern VNs work, but recently I've played some western ones too, and if I want to pursue a different route, I will have to skip the already read part. I'd say that's pretty normal? I am not sure where you're getting at with this.

In a nutshell, even if you play story mode or hardcore with or without cheats, the game remains slow and boring.
You wait and wait and in the end the scenes aren't even satisfying.
Once again, pretty fair.

In this case, the harem solved this whole issue (not the gameplay).
It does not.

"Harem Route" is just another route. It just happens to have multiple women in it (Not all of them) and each have their own unique scenes... Meaning that you could take Hestia's virginity twice in this game, just in different contexts (Her route, and Harem route).

Without harem it is more complex, since you cannot start multiple routes
As described above, that's not how it works at all. It is only a route per playthrough.

I assume you just threw random guesses at the end because you saw "Harem" somewhere and guessed that's how it works? In that case, it would have been nice if you had mentioned that.

Gintlar

Jun 2, 2017
Replying to Gintlar 's review:

Fair!

"Over and over again"... It is only two times, three in the canon-ish route (I believe, not sure if at that point you unlock expedition).
Even if it was three, the floors are reasonably small and with at least two routes that contain different stuff you can unlock... Granted that you won't be able to defeat the floor boss at that point, but there are other secrets too.

So... Like any other Visual Novel with a common route, and choices leading to the heroine's route?
I'd have suggested that's how eastern VNs work, but recently I've played some western ones too, and if I want to pursue a different route, I will have to skip the already read part. I'd say that's pretty normal? I am not sure where you're getting at with this.

Once again, pretty fair.

It does not.

"Harem Route" is just another route. It just happens to have multiple women in it (Not all of them) and each have their own unique scenes... Meaning that you could take Hestia's virginity twice in this game, just in different contexts (Her route, and Harem route).

As described above, that's not how it works at all. It is only a route per playthrough.

I assume you just threw random guesses at the end because you saw "Harem" somewhere and guessed that's how it works? In that case, it would have been nice if you had mentioned that.
Thanks for the reply and I'll try to clarify some things.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- "Over and over again"... It is only two times, three in the canon-ish route (I believe, not sure if at that point you unlock expedition).
Even if it was three, the floors are reasonably small and with at least two routes that contain different stuff you can unlock... Granted that you won't be able to defeat the floor boss at that point, but there are other secrets too .

- The first time I played in hard mode, I can assure you that to go forward in the story you have to go up and down the floors several times, especially for the "E" statistic. Later I don't know, I clearly said the first 4 floors for a reason.
In addition, movement around the map is "turn-based", which makes repeated exploration even slower (even when changing settings).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- So... Like any other Visual Novel with a common route, and choices leading to the heroine's route?

- Too bad my speech didn't end in that sentence, I didn't leave spaces on purpose. The complete speech includes this answer of yours and your next two. The gist of the speech is that the game remains slow and boring, with some scenes that I didn't like. Consequently I found it all boring, waiting for the skip to not be satisfied.
- It does not.
"Harem Route" is just another route. It just happens to have multiple women in it (Not all of them) and each have their own unique scenes ... Meaning that you could take Hestia's virginity twice in this game, just in different contexts (Her route di lei, and Harem route ).

-Here I apologize if I expressed myself badly, I didn't mean simply a Harem route, but a multy-route, I'm not sure how to explain myself as I'm not English. Let's say that again for the previous cause (boredom) I would have preferred to be able to finish everything in hard mode without having to redo the routes from 0.
- I assume you just threw random guesses at the end because you saw "Harem" somewhere and guessed that's how it works? In that case, it would have been nice if you had mentioned that.

- I'm sorry but no, I don't care about the other reviews or comments, also because this is my first comment, I don't read anything else, I review to remind myself that I played the game and see if I liked it or not. But I can understand your "distrust" in others, since people often ask for harems (and I'm not just talking about games on this site). I repeat and I apologize if I expressed myself badly before, I meant a multi-route, I don't care if it's harem or not. Each girl could have her story, without connecting to other girls.

My gameplay was like this:
- Hard difficulty, unlock the fifth floor (without reaching it);
- New game with story mode, see the story of some girls.
- Not satisfied, dropped.

I understand that you are not satisfied with a low rating, but it must be understood that a review is subjective.
I apologize if I have not used the "reply" function correctly but as I said it is the first post I publish, so to get you the notification I will "like" the message, it is not seen as a joke, warning for safety.
I hope I was clear, greetings.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
- The first time I played in hard mode, I can assure you that to go forward in the story you have to go up and down the floors several times, especially for the "E" statistic. Later I don't know, I clearly said the first 4 floors for a reason.
In addition, movement around the map is "turn-based", which makes repeated exploration even slower (even when changing settings).
The hard mode, while it gives some gameplay bonuses, it is also designed to be harder (Stronger enemies, and lower excelia gain), so there will be some amount of grinding to do.
In normal mode, you will most likely get E rank at the very least during the Silverback fight if not before, however in this specific case there is no grinding involved...

If you do not want to explore the Dungeon and manually train your rank to E, the game offers you a way to train them instead:
train.png

It is one of those ways the game helps you at the beginning (like the maps on floor 1), but with that difficulty, grinding will become unavoidable at some point (Although it gets easier once the Hostess of Fertility is unlocked since eating dinner there will give a boost in excelia gain).

Too bad my speech didn't end in that sentence, I didn't leave spaces on purpose. The complete speech includes this answer of yours and your next two. The gist of the speech is that the game remains slow and boring, with some scenes that I didn't like. Consequently I found it all boring, waiting for the skip to not be satisfied.
I still do not get it... Your complete sentence is "The girls' routes are poorly structured, even if you play in story mode, you still have to redo (almost) everything to unlock some routes, holding skips and waiting like idiots."
which is how it works in Visual Novels with routes. There is a common route with choices that lead to a heroine's route.

In all games I've played, if I wanted to try different choices, I'd have to replay/skip a big chunk of something I had already played/read. I do understand not liking the scenes, finding them poorly structured and so on, I just found it odd focusing on a completely normal mechanic, unless I am completely missing the point.

Here I apologize if I expressed myself badly, I didn't mean simply a Harem route, but a multy-route, I'm not sure how to explain myself as I'm not English. Let's say that again for the previous cause (boredom) I would have preferred to be able to finish everything in hard mode without having to redo the routes from 0.
I'm sorry but no, I don't care about the other reviews or comments, also because this is my first comment, I don't read anything else, I review to remind myself that I played the game and see if I liked it or not. But I can understand your "distrust" in others, since people often ask for harems (and I'm not just talking about games on this site). I repeat and I apologize if I expressed myself badly before, I meant a multi-route, I don't care if it's harem or not. Each girl could have her story, without connecting to other girls.
Woops, my bad. I have to apologize too because I misunderstood what you meant.
Since the sentence in the review was "In this case, the harem solved this whole issue (not the gameplay)." I thought you were talking about the Harem Route in the game x). So it was like more "The harem would have solved this whole issue if it worked like this (...)", I get it now.

Yeah, it is a very popular request/opinion, however I do not like it. I prefer playing and therefore also making games each with their own route without throwing all the heroines into a mix for player's convenience. That's why I also understand why most wouldn't like this, so yeah, fair point!

I understand that you are not satisfied with a low rating, but it must be understood that a review is subjective.
I apologize if I have not used the "reply" function correctly but as I said it is the first post I publish, so to get you the notification I will "like" the message, it is not seen as a joke, warning for safety.
I hope I was clear, greetings.
I do not mind low ratings, I reply to reviews that contain points that I find incorrect or incomplete, just in case someone reads them before deciding whether to play the game or not, to have the full picture.

And yeah, you were clear!
If anything, I am really grateful and thankful for taking the time to reply, hardly anyone ever does. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have never understood what you meant with the harem thing :D.

jadih96207

Apr 30, 2021
It's how the common route branches off.

Nested goes with a more old school feel as you have to reject every other girl until you get to the one you want. A couple devs get around this with 'skip to next choice' or allow jumping through space and time with timelines.

Open is newer and introduces the girls right from the start and has you pick the one you're interested in. Changing Overlord's opening to choose which girl tags along is an example. Less rejecting and more getting on with the fun.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It's how the common route branches off.

Nested goes with a more old school feel as you have to reject every other girl until you get to the one you want. A couple devs get around this with 'skip to next choice' or allow jumping through space and time with timelines.

Open is newer and introduces the girls right from the start and has you pick the one you're interested in. Changing Overlord's opening to choose which girl tags along is an example. Less rejecting and more getting on with the fun.
My fav eastern game (Majikoi) is like that, yeah. It is good, and I believe at some point I considered that system for this game as well, but ultimately went for the current system as I didn't see it working for this game back when I was writing the GDD.
I do not remember why since it has been a long time, but at the very least the sequel will work like this (If you do not import your save, you can start a new game by choosing the route). Although new routes (Ryuu for instance) might still be choice-based, not sure about this yet as I didn't plan this far ahead yet.

Skipping between points in time wouldn't work on this game since it is not a pure VN, but even in a pure VN I'd have no clue how to do this. I have seen games that allow you to start on the new chapter for instance, but how about the choices in the previous chapters? Skipping to next choice in a pure VN is good though.
As for Overlord, admittedly I do not remember much, but I am fairly sure that you do not have to reject women there, it is a sandbox so you have to purposely click on their events.

Gintlar

Jun 2, 2017
If anything, I am really grateful and thankful for taking the time to reply, hardly anyone ever does. If you hadn't, I wouldn't have never understood what you meant with the harem thing :D.
No problem, at least I had an excuse to learn how to use the site better.
Incorrect terminology is not good for anyone, as soon as I can I will modify the terms of the review to clarify and not confuse due to my writing error.

3.60 star(s) 19 Votes