ReegusLeroy

Mar 19, 2020
It was a very fun minigame.
I have to say, the way he did it makes me believe each care package has a hidden id in some images.
It looks like he puts said id in the request and blacklists the id, even identifying who is sharing the packages.
Good one on who did it.
Definitely something similar to that. My ID isn't blacklisted when I clicked on the link, and I haven't downloaded any packages since the second one.
Next time a leak happens we'll just have look through the packages before downloading to see what shenanigans he has planned next.

joshchang142857

Sep 16, 2021
So what exactly does the code check?
I have all care package installed but the game works just fine
I just came here to find a puzzle answer and find people's save being deleted
Also why is the answer tori shio? I completly forgot about that and can't find it anywhere

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
I have to say, the way he did it makes me believe each care package has a different hidden id in some images.
It looks like he puts said id in the request and blacklists the id, even identifying who is sharing the packages.
Good one on who did it.
Oh that's pretty clever. And i'm guessing if anyone, even a single person, uses a leaked care package and doesn't delete that chunk of code in the gui.rpy the leaker will get flagged... that's terribly clever... but i have to imagine that wouldn't be too hard to mess with before uploading the leaked files publicly no?

AzureVolt

Jul 3, 2017
I have to say, the way he did it makes me believe each care package has a different hidden id in some images.
Good one on who did it.
yea he probably put in some code that makes each image have its own identifcation number when the image is created and from there identify whose even giving out the packages, that being said there are loopholes to that process as well

b7512966

Aug 11, 2019
So what exactly does the code check?
I have all care package installed but the game works just fine
I just came here to find a puzzle answer and find people's save being deleted
Also why is the answer tori shio? I completly forgot about that and can't find it anywhere
It sends 4 hidden ids from the files: 'game/gui/main_menufeb2023.png', 'game/gui/main_menujan2023.png', 'game/gui/main_menuextra1.png', 'game/gui/game_menumollydec2022.png'
to his server at:

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Bingoogus

b7512966

Aug 11, 2019
Oh that's pretty clever. And i'm guessing if anyone, even a single person, uses a leaked care package and doesn't delete that chunk of code in the gui.rpy the leaker will get flagged... that's terribly clever... but i have to imagine that wouldn't be too hard to mess with before uploading the leaked files publicly no?
No, there are ways to remove metadata from images, and other files.
If future leakers just remove all metadata from images all will be fine.

Reactions: ReegusLeroy

ReegusLeroy

Mar 19, 2020
That ones on me, I fucked up and left it in. I'll do better next time.
Eh, I can understand it more since it's someone else coding it. I assumed he tried doing it, and given his vitriol for piracy and penchant for obsfucating things in general, had assumed he would try everything he could to make it as hidden as possible.

Please tell me you're getting paid for this at least.

joshchang142857

Sep 16, 2021
It sends 4 hidden ids from the files: 'game/gui/main_menufeb2023.png', 'game/gui/main_menujan2023.png', 'game/gui/main_menuextra1.png', 'game/gui/game_menumollydec2022.png'
to his server at:
welp
weird that my saves are fine then
lucky me

AzureVolt

Jul 3, 2017
The problem with DRM is that it's always going to be harder to make than it is to break. I'm just one guy with a full time job, and while I find this fun, it's not my big side project. Woe is me. If I really need to there's ways to make it more secure, but that would take away some functionality from the game (e.g. encode the scripts which would suck for the lore hunters). Renpy is not designed to be secure.
yea unfortunately Renpy wasn't designed with computer security in mind, that being said, the fact you were able to write all this code and make funtionable DRM was damn impressive, the fact that the DRM involves server side checking and specific ID branding per image is really what catches my eye

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
If future leakers just remove all metadata from images all will be fine.
Interesting, though i guess since a bunch of people got the ID flagged it means darkdaemonx has been flagged and probably booted from the site so guess that means the care package enthusiasts are going to be put out until someone else starts leaking and i'm guessing scrubbing the metadata will still get your saves scrubbed if you don't use the replacement gui.rpy file right?

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
to his server at:
Yeah

It looks like they're embedding the lilgame.com user id of whoever downloads the care packages from the site into the menu images before zipping them and delivering them to the user.

The script then sends these id's back to the server, and if they get more than one submission of that id from multiple IPs, the server tells the game to schwack you (http code 402, 'payment required')

It looks like they only started implementing this before January's as the first two menu image id's should have been the same, given the first two care packages leaked here originally came from the same person, but the id's are blank in the first two files :KEK:

Reactions: b7512966

b7512966

Aug 11, 2019
Interesting, though i guess since a bunch of people got the ID flagged it means darkdaemonx has been flagged and probably booted from the site so guess that means the care package enthusiasts are going to be put out until someone else starts leaking and i'm guessing scrubbing the metadata will still get your saves scrubbed if you don't use the replacement gui.rpy file right?
Ideally you would remove the part where they check for the ID, I don't know what kinds of error we would get if the ID is just not there. Removing the metadata would be safer for the leaker tho.

• Thinking Face

fdsasdf_p

Apr 24, 2021
ok I was bitching about having another set of dumbass reset questions just not too long ago, but I'm glad I could've been more mistaken this time

• Haha

vehemental

Jun 4, 2017
The problem with DRM is that it's always going to be harder to make than it is to break. I'm just one guy with a full time job, and while I find this fun, it's not my big side project. Woe is me. If I really need to there's ways to make it more secure, but that would take away some functionality from the game (e.g. encode the scripts which would suck for the lore hunters). Renpy is not designed to be secure.
You did a great job, man. Absolutely brilliant. Was not expecting to find it where I did at all :KEK:

I also hope you're getting paid for this. I assume this isn't going to stop so I look forward to the next bout (y)

4.20 star(s) 292 Votes