Oct 1, 2023
In summary, Kumon-Mi is a fairly average/middle class city (with a 'poor' area) that wouldn't be modernized like Tokyo, in a country likely not on the forefront of space-faring technology, and was likely walled off near the start of the war, while production was ramping up. For whatever reason, the US, China, or whoever else was probably already investing in space travel, or even started work on colonization. Most technological innovation, funding, and resources are being concentrated solely on the war — and most of this is probably concentrated on space travel. Most countries' economies are probably being crippled because of this already. A war like that is unprecedented, and even in America in WW1/WW2 basic items and materials like metals were scarce, let alone tech.

Does the space war make sense now? I don't know, probably not. Maybe. Although if one did happen right now, in real life, it'd probably lead to a great depression worldwide on Earth, so it might be more forgivable than it seems at first.
You're assuming the space war is between humans against humans

Comiies

Aug 27, 2022
I believe there's a decent camp of people that think the space war isn't real, and that it is literally a gag and/or a completely random way to have an (almost) all-female setting.
If you want to rationalize it, there's a few ways you could at least attempt to. You could start by saying that generally, military tech is 10-15 years ahead of civilian/commonplace technology. You could further this by speculating that most government research funds went towards space exploration, terraforming and/or rocket technology — either before, because of, or even more-so because of worrying discoveries or alien contact. Kumon-Mi is also "outside Tokyo" (IIRC,) but we're not given much else about its economy, geography, culture, etc., or shown anywhere else. It's possible that Tokyo is partially on its way to Cyberpunk 2077, alongside places like Washington DC or Amsterdam, but Kumon-mi is not one of those leading cities when it comes to growth and economy. It might not even be Japan providing this technology in the first place, it could all be NATO or US space-faring tech, especially with their restrictions on military spending and size post WW2. Basically, Kumon-mi is a more traditional / middle-class city as opposed to a Silicon Valley, and Japan isn't on the technological forefront anyway. There's quite a difference in economy and infrastructure in Kumon-mi itself, with the old district. Considering that nearly ALL men have been drafted, this war is clearly a huge deal, and a similar thing is happening here to what happened in the world wars, where production and resources are going straight to the war, and all innovation is focused therein. Also, on the subject of the barrier, it is essentially just a big ass wall that's likely well guarded and controlled, but it could work.

In summary, Kumon-Mi is a fairly average/middle class city (with a 'poor' area) that wouldn't be modernized like Tokyo, in a country likely not on the forefront of space-faring technology, and was likely walled off near the start of the war, while production was ramping up. For whatever reason, the US, China, or whoever else was probably already investing in space travel, or even started work on colonization. Most technological innovation, funding, and resources are being concentrated solely on the war — and most of this is probably concentrated on space travel. Most countries' economies are probably being crippled because of this already. A war like that is unprecedented, and even in America in WW1/WW2 basic items and materials like metals were scarce, let alone tech.

Does the space war make sense now? I don't know, probably not. Maybe. Although if one did happen right now, in real life, it'd probably lead to a great depression worldwide on Earth, so it might be more forgivable than it seems at first.
1720274575322.png

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022
You're assuming the space war is between humans against humans
I'm not really, this is true whether it's a human war, or war with some civilization other than humans. A war against aliens doesn't really work in real life, but the story is fictional. Anyway, I was just playing devil's advocate for fun and to explain why military space travel/combat advancements ≠ civilian technological advancements or economic boom, not really being serious

skwada

Feb 13, 2020
Then the setting of the world is one where you cure sexual abuse victims with more sexual abuse, and I proceed to stop taking the story seriously at all.

Like the story already pushes that boundary of suspension of disbelief with how he never gets caught, doing something like that would definitely push it over the edge for me lmao.
I agree that "fixing" Io by making her re-live her trauma would be nonsensical. I think in the long-run, she prolly will start to improve somewhat after the dark path but maybe only after a reset wipes her memories of this shit, or after Sensei has a redemption arc or something

But I think Sensei not ever getting caught does not require much suspension of disbelief because the game sometimes says things or portrays Kumon-mi in a way such that it seems Sensei and the girls are the only real "people" present, and everyone else is merely a mindless NPC. Even the thing with Haruka getting caught or Io's anxiety attack from witnessing a "normal" family: it feels like those "people" are not real - they are puppets that serve to move the plot forward or provide tension/conflict and nothing more; they do not exist outside of that scene. E.g. I don't remember the exact details at this point but there was an event in recent updates where Sensei goes to the dorms and everything is totally fucked, and one of the girls (Yasu?) says something along the lines of "this is what the world looks like for us when you're not here"

Last edited:

PhiloPhilo

Jan 24, 2022
I don't remember the exact details at this point but there was an event in recent updates where Sensei goes to the dorms and everything is totally fucked, and one of the girls (Yasu?) says something along the lines of "this is what the world looks like for us when you're not here"
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

ratmanirl

Nov 25, 2022
I agree that "fixing" Io by making her re-live her trauma would be nonsensical. I think in the long-run, she prolly will start to improve somewhat after the dark path but maybe only after a reset wipes her memories of this shit, or after Sensei has a redemption arc or something

But I think Sensei not ever getting caught does not require much suspension of disbelief because the game sometimes says things or portrays Kumon-mi in a way such that it seems Sensei and the girls are the only real "people" present, and everyone else is merely a mindless NPC. Even the thing with Haruka getting caught or Io's anxiety attack from witnessing a "normal" family: it feels like those "people" are not real - they are puppets that serve to move the plot forward or provide tension/conflict and nothing more; they do not exist outside of that scene. E.g. I don't remember the exact details at this point but there was an event in recent updates where Sensei goes to the dorms and everything is totally fucked, and one of the girls (Yasu?) says something along the lines of "this is what the world looks like for us when you're not here"
I mean, it's more that somehow anyone who can't/won't do anything about it kinda knows while none of the characters that probably would do something about (i.e. all of the adults minus Haruka) don't. That said, the premise is already absurd - knowing a 30+ year old teacher was regularly hanging out with their underage students alone outside of school would already be a huge red flag and wouldn't fly, but for some reason all the adult characters are totally okay with it? Not sure how it is in Japan lmao.

Also not sure how I feel about "memory wipes". The entire point is that this dude feels the consequences of his actions, and if the world just conveniently fixes everything the moment something actually goes wrong, well, what are you even supposed to learn? Apparently there's a "dark" route or something coming in the future so perhaps that's the point where the chickens actually come home to roost.

Last edited:

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Nah but one time when we where in the rooftop and talking to someone,didnt a girl evesdrop on us? Cant rember
In this exact scene Sekai is looking at them. She's also who supposedly saved Akira when Himawari failed to during "untitled".

But the implication of the wallpaper is that the girls could be aware of being reset and we're just not seeing them. Same as what happens with Maya, in which Ayane couldn't see her during the reset, and Akira only managed to because HOPE let him. So there could have been many girls at the school during resets that get left behind because we can't see them.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Riolol

Comiies

Aug 27, 2022
In this exact scene Sekai is looking at them. She's also who supposedly saved Akira when Himawari failed to during "untitled".

But the implication of the wallpaper is that the girls could be aware of being reset and we're just not seeing them. Same as what happens with Maya, in which Ayane couldn't see her during the reset, and Akira only managed to because HOPE let him. So there could have been many girls at the school during resets that get left behind because we can't see them.
Painfull to think about

Riolol

Jan 14, 2021

Interesting that the two girls it shows were at the apocalypse slumber party.

Reactions: Moonflare

Moonflare

Aug 23, 2023
Interesting that the two girls it shows were at the apocalypse slumber party.
I don't think I ever talked about it, but if I recall correctly, on the reset that first brings winter, Akira sees Ami being reset on top of him - and she seems aware of what's happening. It's possible that that's an Ami thing, but it could also be possible that during the reset process, the girls somehow remember previous times or become aware of what's happening.

Reactions: Riolol

joryuken

Sep 19, 2018
question from 1 to my eyes are bleeding as I cried too much, how is this update stacking up? not playing until maybe october

4.20 star(s) 295 Votes