barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
I mean, would Selebus not have to be there in person and therefore not working on the game? I was going more for that angle than for the actual proceedings being the issue.
Not necessarily, especially if he's working with itch.io. Bear in mind -- itch.io is FAR more inconvenienced in this scenario than any one individual creator is. They have to take all these games down, deal with angered creators, look into the complaint, and put the games back up. It's a big time-sink for them. They'd be the primary actor in the suit.

...and here's where all my hours watching copyright law YouTube kicks in.

itch.io sues. This group either responds or they don't, MAYBE they offer to settle.

If they don't, judge issues summary judgement and assigns damages, which is what happened in Automattic.
If they do, their response will include their legal justification for the takedown request. If it's moral outrage, as you theorize, itch.io's attourney requests summary judgement on the grounds of lack of basis, and probably wins.
If they DO have legal basis (the one unlikely scenario I outlined above), itch.io drops the suit and the games go back off the platform. But seriously -- I doubt an "ethics group" would have that basis. Fakku might per their distribution agreement with Illusion, but if this were Fakku's doing, we'd already know.

If this is moral outrage DMCA harassment, settling is their best way out. They know they cannot win in court if it comes to that, and they're counting on the fact that lawsuits for DMCA harassment are very rare.

#NotALawyerButIWatchThemOnYouTube

barglenarglezous

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2020
How do I activate the last 2 happy scenes?
Good Boy triggers automatically if you're sleeping with Sara after one of her final scenes. If it's in red and scratched out, you can't get it, but that won't impede your progress.

The last happy scene is potentially available within that final sequence of scenes that chain together to end the update.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
Not necessarily, especially if he's working with itch.io. Bear in mind -- itch.io is FAR more inconvenienced in this scenario than any one individual creator is. They have to take all these games down, deal with angered creators, look into the complaint, and put the games back up. It's a big time-sink for them. They'd be the primary actor in the suit.

...and here's where all my hours watching copyright law YouTube kicks in.

itch.io sues. This group either responds or they don't, MAYBE they offer to settle.

If they don't, judge issues summary judgement and assigns damages, which is what happened in Automattic.
If they do, their response will include their legal justification for the takedown request. If it's moral outrage, as you theorize, itch.io's attourney requests summary judgement on the grounds of lack of basis, and probably wins.
If they DO have legal basis (the one unlikely scenario I outlined above), itch.io drops the suit and the games go back off the platform. But seriously -- I doubt an "ethics group" would have that basis. Fakku might per their distribution agreement with Illusion, but if this were Fakku's doing, we'd already know.

If this is moral outrage DMCA harassment, settling is their best way out. They know they cannot win in court if it comes to that, and they're counting on the fact that lawsuits for DMCA harassment are very rare.

#NotALawyerButIWatchThemOnYouTube
True, I hadn't considered that. I was thinking more along the lines of individual developers handling it because it is their projects, Selebus's Lessons in Love in this case, and had not considered the impact on Itch.io itself or their role in the suit should this actually proceed further than denial of the original claim by Itch.io, which is what Selebus is working to get done now.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
WAS it a puzzle? How were you intended to solve it?
The most infamous of the early puzzles may be what most people consider the first puzzle, but there was one event, called "Reset" where you were quite literally alone and had to travel around town to specific locations and do specific things in some of them a certain number of times, which is what I consider the first.

The most infamous of the early puzzles, and possibly the most infamous in the entire game, being "There Is Nothing," or at least the most infamous until now, not sure if the new one beats it in terms of infamy yet. "There Is Nothing" had you inputting answers that were given to you during previous events, especially 'happy' scenes, which seemed to be most of the issue as a lot of people can't handle those, and in one case the audio of "There Is Nothing" itself (this event is also one of the most contentious because of complaints over the one answer strictly being audio only while audio volume is only controlled on an all or nothing master slider, thus posing an issue for those that have less than average hearing).

Last edited:

forbiddentwo

Jun 20, 2017
The most infamous of the early puzzles may be what most people consider the first puzzle, but there was one event, called "Reset" where you were quite literally alone and had to travel around town to specific locations and do specific things in some of them a certain number of times, which is what I consider the first.
No, I mean, how were you supposed to glean that you actually needed to go to X and do Y, rather than just wandering until progress unlocked? Was there some previous scene that indicated it?

The most infamous of the early puzzles, and possibly the most infamous in the entire game, being "There Is Nothing," or at least the most infamous until now, not sure if the new one beats it in terms of infamy yet. "There Is Nothing" had you inputting answers that were given to you during previous events, especially 'happy' scenes, which seemed to be most of the issue as a lot of people can't handle those, and in one case the audio of "There Is Nothing" itself (this event is also one of the most contentious because of complaints over the one answer strictly being audio only while audio volume is only controlled on an all or nothing master slider, thus posing an issue for those that have less than average hearing).
Really? It wasn't controlled by the voice slider? Hmm.

I assume Selebus initiated the copyright strike against Subeles
Spider_Man_meme.jpg

Reactions: akselx

moodle

Nov 26, 2016
No, I mean, how were you supposed to glean that you actually needed to go to X and do Y, rather than just wandering until progress unlocked? Was there some previous scene that indicated it?
It's not very hard. Some weird shit is happening. You had previously been warned that some weird shit might soon happen by Maya, who hangs out at the shrine normally. The shrine is the only location where anything actually changes: every other location you visit, nothing happens (well, you can get a happy event if you visit the soccer field and have been hanging out with Miku, but it's a one-time thing), but at the shrine you pray and your affection with god rises. When you hit 5 affection with god, a new option unlocks to end the event.

It's super easy if you think about it at all, and even if you don't it's literally possible to solve by clicking randomly, so most people don't really count it as a puzzle.

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017

View attachment 1719243
It's not very hard. Some weird shit is happening. You had previously been warned that some weird shit might soon happen by Maya, who hangs out at the shrine normally. The shrine is the only location where anything actually changes: every other location you visit, nothing happens (well, you can get a happy event if you visit the soccer field and have been hanging out with Miku, but it's a one-time thing), but at the shrine you pray and your affection with god rises. When you hit 5 affection with god, a new option unlocks to end the event.

It's super easy if you think about it at all, and even if you don't it's literally possible to solve by clicking randomly, so most people don't really count it as a puzzle.
Ah, for me it was trial and error because that was before I started writing things down. There's not much saying where to go in terms of other players, though, so basically trial and error is all there is as far as in game options. There is one text cue when you hit the right place to do the thing, though. As Moodle said, it honestly wasn't that hard in that case, it was the later puzzles that started ramping up the difficulty.

Pretty sure it was controlled on the main volume slider like everything else.

I loosely count it as a puzzle because you do still have to figure out where to go to actually progress.

nashk

Apr 9, 2017

You don't really. You just wander around until you either A: Brute force the event, or B: get confused why nothing is happening and look online. I ended up brute forcing it.

And no, it was not controlled by the voice slider, it was on the main. I found that out the hard way. Was very frustrating.

I don't mind the puzzles, but in terms of game design I think Sel should put some puzzles earlier in the game to put you in the mindset of writing down and remembering information so its not such a dead stop. Maybe in a girls event you need to remember something specific to unlock a bonus scene or something, or maybe even unlock a Happy Event. I don't know, but even though I enjoyed the happy events you are only told one time to specifically remember one fact, and since I had never needed to do that earlier in the game I didn't take it as seriously.

johlem

Apr 30, 2018
From my point of view they are not even puzzles, I like to complete puzzles in the games I do in general, but in LIS it is not puzzles based on some logic, but more a succession of password to type according to small detail that has been said hours of reading before.
it's not ludic and not fun at all to look for what to read to find a minor info that we have not retained.

chickenmaid

Oct 9, 2019
What I rather have is an escape room, all clues confined in one scenerio. What Sel want is for the player to ace a pop quiz to progress. "Are you paying attention students?"-vibe. It's pretentious. Last LiL update: "Make sure you remember all 1,000,000 words for the final exam". Yeah, I'll cheat because it's the most boring, nonsense gameplay ever.

forbiddentwo

Jun 20, 2017
What I rather have is an escape room, all clues confined in one scenerio. What Sel want is for the player to ace a pop quiz to progress. "Are you paying attention students?"-vibe. It's pretentious. Last LiL update: "Make sure you remember all 1,000,000 words for the final exam". Yeah, I'll cheat because it's the most boring, nonsense gameplay ever.
I prefer to give him some credit and assume that these are all foreshadowing in some form or another.

Plus it's pretty convenient to believe that.

...I wish there was a Senseiface emote.

Reactions: crustlord12

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Also lie to her to maintain the illusion as long as possible.
Lie and lie and lie and lie to her until she finally lets him fuck her and then the very next day setting things up so she can come home and walk in to him absolutely nailing Kirin in the ass on the kitchen table. (Cue Tim Curry grin).

Reactions: forbiddentwo

alex2011

Conversation Conqueror
Feb 28, 2017
You don't really. You just wander around until you either A: Brute force the event, or B: get confused why nothing is happening and look online. I ended up brute forcing it.

And no, it was not controlled by the voice slider, it was on the main. I found that out the hard way. Was very frustrating.

I don't mind the puzzles, but in terms of game design I think Sel should put some puzzles earlier in the game to put you in the mindset of writing down and remembering information so its not such a dead stop. Maybe in a girls event you need to remember something specific to unlock a bonus scene or something, or maybe even unlock a Happy Event. I don't know, but even though I enjoyed the happy events you are only told one time to specifically remember one fact, and since I had never needed to do that earlier in the game I didn't take it as seriously.
I basically did the same, or as I usually call it, stumbled into everything. I wandered for a bit before I finally found the place that actually had an effect. It still didn't take me as long as "There Is Nothing" did, at three hours consecutively because I do all updates in one sitting when possible, and ended up looking in the code because I was short on time by the point where I was making progress. Had I not been under a time constraint, it probably would have been me stumbling again and eventually figuring it out because I am an idiot who didn't write things down contrary to my own gaming history specifically involving puzzles.

For me on the volume thing, it wasn't a problem for me because my volume was on and high enough that an early Miku event showcasing her issue for the first time scared the hell out of me and made my ears ring for a few minutes. I don't change my volume settings once I start playing, so it was on that high the whole time.

As for earlier puzzles, puzzles are not the only dead stop in the game as there are instances where just meeting event requirements normally can cause progress to come to a screeching halt if the player isn't careful. I'm not so sure that that mindset will help because of that. It would certainly prepare players for puzzles, but those are so rare compared to other instances that stop progress that it may not be worth the effort.

From my point of view they are not even puzzles, I like to complete puzzles in the games I do in general, but in LIS it is not puzzles based on some logic, but more a succession of password to type according to small detail that has been said hours of reading before.
it's not ludic and not fun at all to look for what to read to find a minor info that we have not retained.
They are puzzles in the same sense as the old adventure programs from back in the early days of computer gaming. In old adventure programs, you used to have to go searching for things in much the same way. Not passwords or things to fill in blanks necessarily, sometimes objects hidden in different locations, but in the same style as this.

As far as retention, that's where writing helps, again a strategy from the same era as above. Writing locations, or information in this case, down is an immensely helpful tool.

Yes, because some 'students' were caught not studying. From what I remember, as far as design, that is what started the puzzles as we know them now.

I prefer to give him some credit and assume that these are all foreshadowing in some form or another.

Plus it's pretty convenient to believe that.

...I wish there was a Senseiface emote.
Hmm... Yes, indeed. There must be something more to this, some bigger meaning behind 23 rice bowls...

It's still some god awful gameplay.
That's what I'm getting as well, an entity in universe stalling him, as I've said. Someone does not want Sensei to get to that roof and I am itching to know who. This is theory, of course, but it could be the gods or even one of the girls. I'm watching you, Tsukasa (I'm joking here, but I have to admit that a side character actually being the main bad guy would be a plot twist I never would be able to see coming). :p

Also lie to her to maintain the illusion as long as possible.
Oh don't worry, he probably will. I still don't trust him not to and I likely never will.

4.20 star(s) 298 Votes