hmc15

Apr 4, 2019
I sympathize with Naughty. I see a lot of comments demanding this or that and getting mad about the delay in updates.

So like NR said, it takes A LOT of time to develop these games and he's doing EVERYTHING. Major game studios with full teams of people delay games all the time. Look at Cyberpunk 2077, coincidentally, it's been delayed about 2077 times by now.

I do this full-time and see how much work it takes, and this guy has a full-time day job. People complaining should really think about that because it only serves to bring down our morale when we are doing the absolute best we can and providing you with a game you can play for fun.

Just give devs like NR a chance before you criticize and attack because we really do try our best.

P.S. THIS is a top quality game and we should not take it for granted. Sure it'll take some time to get done, but it'll be worth the wait as a game you can replay for years to come.
Not to mention naughtyroad releases FULL CHAPTERS with each update. Not some baby patch like AWAM and/or Milfy City resorted to. We continue to get meat AND taters. Thankya Naughty. And please consider making the youngest daug...roommate a cock obsessed cum slut/bucket :D

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...)Considering that you also have a full time job that most likely pays well and you enjoy, you'd probably be able to hire a coder part time/outsource to a country with lower wages. What makes this game special is the writing and the art. (...)
Interesting notion, but not viable for two reasons: 1: coding is a small part of the process, somewhere in the area of 10% or thereabouts I reckon, and 2: outsourcing is more likely to add time than save it.

The thing to keep in mind about ren'py as a framework is that it handles a ton of stuff out of the box. If you have 5 images laying around, you can have VN with a five image dialog up and finished in 5 mins tops, from scratch.

The actual coding-coding part for LomL is about less than 1% of the overall coding work; it's doing the stuff that ren'py doesn't handle, which is almost nothing. Coming from a developer background myself, I handle that in quarter of the time it'd take to explain to someone.

The not-really-coding-coding part (handling conditionals in dialogs, writing the graphic transforms in ATL (renpy proprietary)), those I consider part of the creative process.

The conditional dialog flows usually comes up as I'm writing the scene, and documenting requirements, carving up dialog and making flows and parcelling that up sending that off, then reviewing that, it takes time. Revisions or new ideas (that usually come at a whim as I run though the scene, or later) will mean going through that process again. The end result is tremendously more tedious effort at no gain and likely to result in less revision and improvement.

The other part (ren'py proprietary ATL) is again part of the creative process, as I'm adding images into dialog, the ebb and flow of the scene sort of make me decide that I want some camera zoom or pan here or there, add an effect of some sort, etc. I'm basically applying them as I play the scene, adjusting and changing and iterating on the effects and the timing, and building on the effects that came before, until it feels right. I wouldn't even know how to begin documenting that, it'd be a shared desktop effort, so also no gain.

Bottom line: getting a coder involved is interesting when you're a) scaling up, and plan to end up with 10 coders if things go well or b) don't know how to code. Neither applies to me.

Small tits are best

Nov 27, 2018
Interesting notion, but not viable for two reasons: 1: coding is a small part of the process, somewhere in the area of 10% or thereabouts I reckon, and 2: outsourcing is more likely to add time than save it.

The thing to keep in mind about ren'py as a framework is that it handles a ton of stuff out of the box. If you have 5 images laying around, you can have VN with a five image dialog up and finished in 5 mins tops, from scratch.

The actual coding-coding part for LomL is about less than 1% of the overall coding work; it's doing the stuff that ren'py doesn't handle, which is almost nothing. Coming from a developer background myself, I handle that in quarter of the time it'd take to explain to someone.

The not-really-coding-coding part (handling conditionals in dialogs, writing the graphic transforms in ATL (renpy proprietary)), those I consider part of the creative process.

The conditional dialog flows usually comes up as I'm writing the scene, and documenting requirements, carving up dialog and making flows and parcelling that up sending that off, then reviewing that, it takes time. Revisions or new ideas (that usually come at a whim as I run though the scene, or later) will mean going through that process again. The end result is tremendously more tedious effort at no gain and likely to result in less revision and improvement.

The other part (ren'py proprietary ATL) is again part of the creative process, as I'm adding images into dialog, the ebb and flow of the scene sort of make me decide that I want some camera zoom or pan here or there, add an effect of some sort, etc. I'm basically applying them as I play the scene, adjusting and changing and iterating on the effects and the timing, and building on the effects that came before, until it feels right. I wouldn't even know how to begin documenting that, it'd be a shared desktop effort, so also no gain.

Bottom line: getting a coder involved is interesting when you're a) scaling up, and plan to end up with 10 coders if things go well or b) don't know how to code. Neither applies to me.
WTF naughtyroad this is not what i pay you to do now get back to work and stop talking (dam kids no respect )
:unsure: :sneaky: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
P.S just jokeing sorry sir :oops:

DaisyChained

Feb 3, 2019

I must admit I don't know how ren'py work, or game engines really. Does it really have no integrated way of handling let's say a finite state machine for the conditionals? Or some easy form of implementation at least. Shouldn't that like be one of the main purposes of a game engine? In my mind a game engine should essentially be a repository of tools, frameworks and assets to allow for easy prototyping and reusing code (like a state machine)?

Do you have a way to decrease the amount of hours you work at your job without quitting/sacrificing job security? I had a friend that pursued academia that managed to cut down his working hours to 3 days a week with an option to return to fulltime whenever he wished to. I don't know if that's something that you would want to do, but hey, asking your boss never hurts :D.

Either way, I hope you manage to balance personal life, your work and your side projects.

Edit: apparently my previous post was deleted for TROLLING... What? Interesting , it was very much a serious post but oh well.

Last edited:

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
(...) I must admit I don't know how ren'py work, or game engines really. Does it really have no integrated way of handling let's say a finite state machine for the conditionals? Or some easy form of implementation at least. (...)
Well, specific tools for specific jobs. Ren'py doesn't have a state machine implementation per se, like you need for a sandbox game, but there's a few frameworks you can get for it that'll give you quite a bit ootb. However, it is totally geared towards creating a classic VN and that's what LomL is.

You basically open up a .rpy file, and start writing out dialog (double quoted text lines, one for each line of dialog) and then your run, and you have an ingame dialog showing up line for line in the boxes at the bottom of the screen.

Define a sayer object, put that in front of some of the double quoted lines, and now each line will have the name of the person saying it (and possibly an portrait image if you defined that too).

Sprinkle in images with a scene or show statement, apply some transforms if you're feeling fancy, and it's a kinetic novel already. A menu statement lets you define options and write dialog under each option, now it starts to look like a VN. Drop in simple python style if statements into the dialog for conditional bits of dialog, python style variable assignments to keep track of stuff. Saves and load are handled by renpy and fully transparent, rollback is handled, you can't go wrong really.

From a writers perspective, it's really neat as you just write up your dialog as you would in a word document, then drop those things straight in, so the pipeline is very writer friendly.

SlowDance

May 5, 2017
Well, specific tools for specific jobs...
What I love about this most, aside from the fact that Light of My Life is my very favourite visual novel of all, is that Naughty Road takes the time to patiently and openly explain what's what for our consideration. What an absolute badass. Wish more devs had this level of empathy and maturity - and the time to use it.
Right, fanboy blushing aside. I need my girls. "Back to work, you filth!" *whipcracks*

Epostile

Nov 9, 2020
Wasn't too sure to begin with, however this has quickly become my favourite VN. Its made me sad, made me laugh and got me hooked. The turkish/greek style of the renders are a refreshing change too. The two wards quickly become endeared to you, even the little mannerisms (hihi!) are well placed.

Some of the situations are hilarious! I cannot wait for the next chapter!

Guyin Cognito

Gentleman Pervert
Donor
Feb 23, 2018
You know, I've been looking at this for a while, and I just couldn't decide how I felt about the look of the characters. I'm not sure if it's the product of the artist's personal style, or if they're all supposed to be some specific ethnicity that I'm too ignorant and white to pin down precisely.
(Actually, I don't identify as "White." I am a Celtic mutt and proud of it!
Mostly Welsh ... I feel somewhat ambivalent about that.)
Anyhow, I've decided to tell myself they're all Gerudo women and give it a play.

Serial101

Jan 3, 2018
(Actually, I don't identify as "White." I am a Celtic mutt and proud of it! Mostly Welsh ... I feel somewhat ambivalent about that.)
amateur. In my country if you don't have at least 4 different ethnicities until your grandparents' generation you can't even be considered part of the homeland.
My neighbor is a descendant of native peoples, Norwegians, Portuguese and black Africans. only in the generations that he knows.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
Can't wait for the update, BTW, can dev put a face on Dad?
Sorry, no. It's a deliberate style choice never to show MCs face, and I've had to get quite creative at times to get that to work (I'll spare you some of the screenshots from the scene setup but just think Ash from Aliens and you get the idea).

RobJoy

Jul 4, 2017
You know, I've been looking at this for a while, and I just couldn't decide how I felt about the look of the characters. I'm not sure if it's the product of the artist's personal style, or if they're all supposed to be some specific ethnicity that I'm too ignorant and white to pin down precisely.
(Actually, I don't identify as "White." I am a Celtic mutt and proud of it!
Mostly Welsh ... I feel somewhat ambivalent about that.)
Anyhow, I've decided to tell myself they're all Gerudo women and give it a play.
I was also on the fence, but they grew on me with their little mannerisms and emotion.
They are actually cute to me now. Especially the younger one.

First I thought they must be related to some Angela Sarafyan fantasy of the dev.

Reactions: mandrakemg

RobJoy

Jul 4, 2017
Sorry, no. It's a deliberate style choice never to show MCs face, and I've had to get quite creative at times to get that to work (I'll spare you some of the screenshots from the scene setup but just think Ash from Aliens and you get the idea).

Well if you really have difficulty, just create a normal man, but in scenes if they warrant it, just always show him from the back, head and all.

Just never show face. This still preserves the mystery.

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes