Legendslayer

Jun 10, 2017
As usual, there are people who will criticize without bringing anything constructive to the table, just the classic "oh no update over a year, why no abandoned haha xD ". I'm sure the dev reading these comments will say "omg they are right. Family, i have to go because XXX from F95 said the game should have been out already so i will work overtime for XXX specificaly who has an account made 4 days ago and deserves to play it asap" . Typing without thinking what goes into the developing process is easy, but if you prefer quantity over quality the are plenty of games here to choose from. For this one i prefer to wait as long as it takes because it never disappoints.

Miðgarðsormr

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2017
So a safe space thread. Who woulda thunk it.

Enjoyed the game and everything, but since there hasn't been any update so far, kinda has made it forgetful, not gonna lie.
nah just the long overdue nuke from mods cause certain individuals kept talking BS derailing the thread.

While that is surely true. It is always a good idea to keep an eye on the thread to see when the new update drops and time a fresh playthrough so the memories of the events are fresh :)

May i ask where your left signature is from? Morrigan from Dragon Age? :unsure:

SerHawkes

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2017
nah just the long overdue nuke from mods cause certain individuals kept talking BS derailing the thread.

While that is surely true. It is always a good idea to keep an eye on the thread to see when the new update drops and time a fresh playthrough so the memories of the events are fresh :)

May i ask where your left signature is from? Morrigan from Dragon Age? :unsure:
Naturally it's Morrigan.

SerHawkes

Engaged Member
Oct 29, 2017
Serious question: why does the reluctance of many of us to pressure Naughty make this a 'safe space'? I don't think there's any reason to be in an adversarial relationship with Naughty merely because of his release cadence.
Because surrounding one self with yesmen and people who ardantly defend you doesn't help one creativity or development of progress. Sure, it's a nice thing to have, within moderation, yet having critic about the lack of content/updates/story/characters actually can, in some/rare as fucking occations, motivate a dev to get their ass in gear. Granted, with certain devs however, as we all know some around theses parts, thats not the case.

Me personally? Been a year plus since I last played, expected the updates to get shorter, maybe down to a reasonable 6-8 months. Apparently that ain't the case, hence why I, and many others it seems, have a completely valid issue with it. Hence why you have people making the claim of milking with Road, among other certain Devs. Whether warranted or not, devs are gonna get critisism on just about everything no matter what they say or do to explain things. It's the nature of the beast.

redcap85

Jul 15, 2018
Because surrounding one self with yesmen and people who ardantly defend you doesn't help one creativity or development of progress. Sure, it's a nice thing to have, within moderation, yet having critic about the lack of content/updates/story/characters actually can, in some/rare as fucking occations, motivate a dev to get their ass in gear. Granted, with certain devs however, as we all know some around theses parts, thats not the case.

Me personally? Been a year plus since I last played, expected the updates to get shorter, maybe down to a reasonable 6-8 months. Apparently that ain't the case, hence why I, and many others it seems, have a completely valid issue with it. Hence why you have people making the claim of milking with Road, among other certain Devs. Whether warranted or not, devs are gonna get critisism on just about everything no matter what they say or do to explain things. It's the nature of the beast.
Why did you expect releases to get shorter considering the dev didn't promise that and history suggests that won't be the case?

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
People get defensive because everyone who follows already knows he works on this game about as much as possible. He puts his hours worked in each of the weekly update graphs. He works on this game more than his IRL job. Nobody has a reason to not believe him.

But this isn't a safe-space. NR doesn't need any defending, the regular posters here just get irritated by people taking a normally wholesome thread and starting drama in it (intentionally or not). Whether it's complaints about how the LI's look or the long update times.

People who advocate for smaller release times, at least in regards to this game, are advocating for smaller updates in general. And that doesn't really jive with the chapter format of the game. Not to mention, I believe, NR has said there are likely only a couple more chapters until completion. So unlike most other yearly/slowly updated games, this one will actually be completed.

alutarox

Nov 15, 2017
Add on the fact that the majority of people giving "criticism" are just saying "hur dur, game abandoned, dev is milker". Cos I gotta ask, what does doing that actually add to the discussion? I mean, in fairness we've gone more than a year without an update, so there's not much in the way of actual game discussion right now, but I struggle to understand the motivations behind these people... Do they think that their "brave" telling of "the truth" will persuade people to give up support? Are they just trolling? Do they fit into this totally non-suspicious hammok here that is definitely not attached to some form of medieval siege weaponry?

Everyone here regularly knows that the updates take a while, we know what the art looks like and we're (at least as far as I can tell) okay with both of these "issues" that people bring up.

NR is genuinely top-tier as a dev alongside K7 (in my books at least) and although I only jumped into the game just after chapter 4 dropped iirc (so I've only had to wait for 2 updates so far) both of them were definitely worth the wait.

Also, being surrounded by yesmen is a bad thing, but so is being surrounded by people who're constantly putting you down if you honestly believe that a dev is milking, that their game isn't worth waiting for, that they're not actually working on the game, there's an easy to remember proceedure to go through. Scroll up to the top of the page, notice the "unwatch" button, click it, click to confirm. If you're really done with the dev then there's also an "ignore" button you can press too, and then you never have to think about it again, it won't even show up when it updates on the latest updates page!

You wanna talk about the game? Cool, regardless whether it's praise or (actual) criticism, I (at least) want people here talking about the game. You wanna shitpost? Cool, shitpost away, it's fun! You wanna level baseless accusations at the dev and then bitch about the response you get in a forum dedicated to that dev's game? Well, you can do that, but don't act surprised when the regulars there call you out for it (I love when people say stuff like "I'm allowed to post whatever I want, this is a forum!"... When your only real defense of your point is that you're not prohibited from expressing it, maybe reassess your ideas).

polycentric

Donor
Mar 26, 2019
Been a year plus since I last played, expected the updates to get shorter, maybe down to a reasonable 6-8 months. Apparently that ain't the case, hence why I, and many others it seems, have a completely valid issue with it.
What is the big difference between '6-8' months and, say, 14 months? And who decided that '6-8' months is
reasonable? As someone that has waited for years for books, films and games, I'm not going to die if it takes him, or anyone else, two years between episodes/chapters/whatever.

If the developer never made a transactional performance claim, and isn't lying to patrons, then how does he deserve being griefed by people that have zero investment in it?

whoabacha

Jul 17, 2017

This is one of the most self-entitled posts I have ever read. How you can have the attitude that any of these devs owe you anything at all is incredible and baffling to me, exactly who do you think you are ffs? Does someone force you to come here and play all these games for free, so you can jerk off? Do you think someone owes you a free nut? If you maybe had something practical to offer to devs to help speed up the process, maybe then I could understand, but it's all just bitching for the sake of bitching, and you literally add nothing but negativity to the thread. You sound like a typical incel.

naughtyroad

Donor
Game Developer
Jan 8, 2019
It's been a while since I picked one of these apart. Lot's of fun things to unpack here.

Because surrounding one self with yesmen and people who ardantly defend you doesn't help one creativity or development of progress. (...)
Let's take this after the next one.

(...)Sure, it's a nice thing to have, within moderation, yet having critic about the lack of content/updates/story/characters actually can, in some/rare as fucking occations, motivate a dev to get their ass in gear. Granted, with certain devs however, as we all know some around theses parts, thats not the case.(...)
True. There's always a risk of procrastination, dawdling, or digging a bigger hole for yourself in a big project like this, even for the most professional of devs. That's why the powers of development created sprints, and that's why I put out a weekly progress update, with all the planned scenes blocked out in an infographic, slowly closing up one at a time. Besides keeping fans informed, it helps instill a good feeling of urgency to complete during the entire development arch, because it's me having to answer for what I've been up to all week to all of you. You bet I'll be looking at that thing nervously every Wednesday, pushing to complete just as much as I can, and it works a treat.

Since starting development on LomL, I've been basically doing 80 hrs of work a week on both jobs I have (LomL and a second one, with LomL taking most of my time). The remark about devs needing to get their asses in gear would be both insultingly patronizing and grade A gaslighting, but let's assume this is not directed at me but at these hypothetical other devs I keep hearing about.

So, coming back to the first one, ignoring the bit about development progress and looking at the creative part:

Damn right, yes-men would be awful there. But I've never "surrounded" myself with those, and I am very interested in critique of the creative elements. Some really good things came out of that, from things like fonts sizes and colors, transparency of the text box, better designed lighting schemes, to for instance the keyboard shortcuts for menu options.

That last one came from some strong critique about having menu options during the climax of lewd scenes, a deliberate creative choice (but, let's be honest, it does mean one needs to go grab a mouse to click it while one's hand is otherwise occupied). Since it was introduced in LomL, it's a feature that pops up on quite a few games, and I love that; I didn't check if they ripped my code (which they're quite welcome to) or just implemented it themselves (it's not hard to do), but arguably that critique didn't just make LomL better in a small but significant way, but VNs in general.

(...)Me personally? Been a year plus since I last played, expected the updates to get shorter, maybe down to a reasonable 6-8 months. Apparently that ain't the case, hence why I, and many others it seems, have a completely valid issue with it.(...)
Issues, yeah. Valid, well that gave me a good chuckle, cheers. :coffee:

Any expectations here come entirely from your side; all I'm seeing when I read that is "I have made a weird assumption, and I blame someone else for that".

You and I never entered into any contract where I agreed to keep content in the game limited to what could be developed in a specific time frame and deliver it to you as per your outlined limitations, and if fact it's fudge-all of your or anyone's business what amount of content I put in any chapter of LomL.

The fact is, I'm not thinking about the next release, I'm thinking about what this chapter and in the end, this game will be when it's complete, and all this nervous hopping around whinging about milking will mean jack-all. Patrons and supporters get to vote on it with their feet, and quite a few do actually, and I'm sure I miss a lot of business that way. But if that doesn't dissuade me, better believe some rando on a forum having issues won't either. :ROFLMAO:

(...)Hence why you have people making the claim of milking with Road, among other certain Devs. Whether warranted or not, devs are gonna get critisism on just about everything no matter what they say or do to explain things. It's the nature of the beast.
Hmm, this takes a bit of unpeeling. So you're saying that criticism being right or wrong is irrelevant. It'll always be there so countering it with informed arguments is a waste of time. :unsure: Is this a really circuitous ways of saying "this my 'pinion bro, don't bother me with facts."?

I dunno, I personally really love it when someone comes around and sets me straight on one subject or another, and eliminates a stupid opinion from my head. I figure they just spared me an embarrassing moment making an ass of myself somewhere down the line, so kudo's to all of you who do set me and others straight, for taking the time. :love:

4.70 star(s) 488 Votes