garand_m12

Aug 30, 2019
Not sure if someone have mentioned or posted it, but since there are still people bitching about how they hate the stamina system which i assume is the region map stamina;
For stamina consumption in the region map, after unpacking the game.rgss3, go to Data > script > editables > 34_functions_RegionMap

starting from line 10, the value 1's was my edited value, original have their own stamina cost. Edit it to 1 if you people hate the stamina system. Never tried to go 0 cause it'll probably cause error.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The game have a button to wait or skip time in the region map if you want to access certain time of the day, so you don't have to worry of the game always being night/day because the game ties time progression to stamina. I tried this last at patch 0.4.3.1, so unless the game code has been changed, it should still work

Reactions: Kimi-chan

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Not sure if someone have mentioned or posted it, but since there are still people bitching about how they hate the stamina system which i assume is the region map stamina
I don't mind overmap stamina although some of the finer mechanics could be a little clearer such as the way stat changes reduce your carry weight and suddenly incur massive overburden penalties for no clear reason.

I do have a gripe with combat stamina however, specifically the fact taking damage drains stamina combined with enemies having near endless reserves. Between limited healing and the wound debuffs there already are plenty of incentives to avoid taking damage and as long as attacking and blocking/dodging still has a cost you can't really cheese anything either so it doesn't add to gameplay. On the flip side you quickly get stuck in an incredibly annoying "stun"lock of not having enough stamina to do anything while enemies just spam their dumb basic attacks. Yes you can kinda play around it by spamming potions but that still is incredibly unfun gameplay.

Adlai

Oct 24, 2019
I do have a gripe with combat stamina however, specifically the fact taking damage drains stamina combined with enemies having near endless reserves. Between limited healing and the wound debuffs there already are plenty of incentives to avoid taking damage and as long as attacking and blocking/dodging still has a cost you can't really cheese anything either so it doesn't add to gameplay. On the flip side you quickly get stuck in an incredibly annoying "stun"lock of not having enough stamina to do anything while enemies just spam their dumb basic attacks. Yes you can kinda play around it by spamming potions but that still is incredibly unfun gameplay.
I've never lost a battle where my stamina didn't run out. Honestly, enemies dont do enough HP damage by far. The injury penalties really need to stack on to matter- and frankly, if your getting that many injuries, you are being careless.

If they didn't do stamina damage you could probably bulldoze through 80% of the content. Even being greatly outnumbered wouldn't matter much because it's easy to reduce most enemies to chip damage.

I've bought the boat ticket- I probably used like five or six pots throught the entire game- all of which I found or were quest rewards. They are nice to have, but you dont really need them.

Peel enemies if you can, try to fight smaller groups. Most of all dont trade blows unless you either dont have a choice or you greatly outclass an enemy. Honestly, the rewards for fighting at all are pretty minimal in most cases, it's better to avoid combat.

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
I've never lost a battle where my stamina didn't run out. Honestly, enemies dont do enough HP damage by far. The injury penalties really need to stack on to matter- and frankly, if your getting that many injuries, you are being careless.

If they didn't do stamina damage you could probably bulldoze through 80% of the content. Even being greatly outnumbered wouldn't matter much because it's easy to reduce most enemies to chip damage.

I've bought the boat ticket- I probably used like five or six pots throught the entire game- all of which I found or were quest rewards. They are nice to have, but you dont really need them.

Peel enemies if you can, try to fight smaller groups. Most of all dont trade blows unless you either dont have a choice or you greatly outclass an enemy. Honestly, the rewards for fighting at all are pretty minimal in most cases, it's better to avoid combat.
Oh I agree some enemies would need to be buffed to compensate but this wasn't about difficulty per se. It just feels incredibly cheap and unfun when combat quickly descends into you not being able to do anything due to stamina loss and having to manually raise it again all the time. Maybe I missed it in a script or things changed in the most recent versions but if I read the 4.3 data correctly most enemies don't even have any stamina cost on their attacks so they are free to spam with reckless abandon. And then for fast enemies this is compounded by actual stunlocking because if they hit you they tend to interrupt your actions.

Basically it feels like the AI is cheating, similar to a Dark Souls enemy capable of dodgerolling in the middle of a hammer swing or an RTS AI ignoring resources or pop cap. They can still be pathetically weak but most of the time such bullshit isn't fun to fight against leading to the same conclusion you yourself proposed: avoidance over engagement. At which point I question why there would be such a variety of combat-focused items and skills in the first place when a basic "punch/stab" would suffice and the effort would be better invested in a multitude of sneaking, escape and misdirection skills instead. Why does this scrawny-ass girl get a longbow but not a poison dart blowgun which can be used while stealthed without drawing full aggro?

ColoCala

Apr 22, 2018
I changed Companions stats in NPCdata folder but they didn't work, they still having the same original stats, where did i go wrong? :(

Screenshot (76).png

Adlai

Oct 24, 2019
Oh I agree some enemies would need to be buffed to compensate but this wasn't about difficulty per se. It just feels incredibly cheap and unfun when combat quickly descends into you not being able to do anything due to stamina loss and having to manually raise it again all the time. Maybe I missed it in a script or things changed in the most recent versions but if I read the 4.3 data correctly most enemies don't even have any stamina cost on their attacks so they are free to spam with reckless abandon. And then for fast enemies this is compounded by actual stunlocking because if they hit you they tend to interrupt your actions.

Basically it feels like the AI is cheating, similar to a Dark Souls enemy capable of dodgerolling in the middle of a hammer swing or an RTS AI ignoring resources or pop cap. They can still be pathetically weak but most of the time such bullshit isn't fun to fight against leading to the same conclusion you yourself proposed: avoidance over engagement. At which point I question why there would be such a variety of combat-focused items and skills in the first place when a basic "punch/stab" would suffice and the effort would be better invested in a multitude of sneaking, escape and misdirection skills instead. Why does this scrawny-ass girl get a longbow but not a poison dart blowgun which can be used while stealthed without drawing full aggro?
*shrug*

It's a survival horror game. The stated goal is literally to get the fuck off that miserable, doomed island. not to play exterminator.

It's not like combat is never warranted- it's just unprofitable to fight for it's own sake. I mean, with a bit of skill and the right gear you could kill the goblin warband. Might not even need to dip into your supplies, in the right area or with the right skills.

Thing is, most enemies dont drop anything worth fighting them over and the XP's arent better than doing literally anything else. So why fight them? Would you really risk your neck over rags? (most common drop)

It's not like I said never take combat missions. Those can actually be profitable, if done correctly. Undead in particular are slow and thus easy to kite.

And actually, most items in the game are food.

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
I changed Companions stats in NPCdata folder but they didn't work, they still having the same original stats, where did i go wrong? :(
Only changes to certain .rb files are updated in-game unless you edit the packaged version of a specific script to enable constant re-building of the game archive files. And that in itself requires Opening said archives in RPGMaker unless a mod can overwrite the option and still have it take effect. The option in question is also found in /Data/Scripts/Frames/FileGetter/FileGetterOptions.rb and you need to set "COMPRESSED=false" but that copy is not used unless said option is already set to false to begin with. I suppose if you have some other way of editing .rvdata2 files that would work too but most of their contents are not human-readable by default.

And actually, most items in the game are food.
Doesn't change the fact we have far more "fighting items" than "not-fighting items", and most of those foods are identical in function existing only for flavour (I wouldn't exactly call it "immersion" seeing grapes, apples, tomatoes and blueberries growing in the same "rain forest" but nowhere else...)

Adlai

Oct 24, 2019
Doesn't change the fact we have far more "fighting items" than "not-fighting items", and most of those foods are identical in function existing only for flavour (I wouldn't exactly call it "immersion" seeing grapes, apples, tomatoes and blueberries growing in the same "rain forest" but nowhere else...)
You can scavenge food in most tiles - just not roads, cities, and underground. Never found anything in swamps either- but I didn't spend much time in the swamp.

The presences of weapons also doesn't make this not a survival horror. If you shot everything in silent hill or the older RE games, you'd quickly run out of resources and die.

In Lonarpg- if you fight everything, you will quickly run out of resources and die.

Made worse by how your actually supposed to hoard wealth so that you can leave the island. It's entirely feasible to kill your way through any one encounter in this game- it's just not worth doing by design.

Also, most weapons have overlap.

Reactions: ForgottenMan1

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
You can scavenge food in most tiles - just not roads, cities, and underground. Never found anything in swamps either- but I didn't spend much time in the swamp.
Missing the point. Half a dozen of those "different" food items are meaningless reskins found in the same location. A couple more are (currently?) meaningless reskins found in different locations. And then you have the actually meaningful distinctions of meat/veg, soups/dried, raw/tainted and so on, those are fine.

The presences of weapons also doesn't make this not a survival horror. If you shot everything in silent hill or the older RE games, you'd quickly run out of resources and die.
Oh, does the longbow use ammo now? I only saw the musket nerf. Still doesn't explain how the scrawny girl who needs to take a nap after swinging a sword a couple times draws a freakin' longbow!

Also, most weapons have overlap.
Also most of the more unique ones are just bad.

mordet

Apr 21, 2020
About the food.
You have a good point. There is, right now, a massive amount of food items, but the only thing I see when I scavenge is "good meats, bad meats, veggies" and herbs. However, I still find that the different foods give a nice "living" feeling to the world.

About the longbow and weapon usage in general.
No, the longbow does not use "ammo" per say, however, it does use stamina, which is, basically, food, which is, basically, money (or time) so, it kinda does abstractedly.
About swinging weapons: again, I understand that you might not enjoy the methods of the game, but I find it very reasonable that a petite girl like Lona can't swing a weapon around a hundred times before taking a breather. Hell, having done martial arts myself, an admittedly smaller guy, even swinging around fists hard enough to harm a hundred times is truly tiring and you need time to catch a breather.
About using the longbow: well, it's fair to say that using a longbow for Lona is pretty far-fetched, but the fact that is you want to use it in a way that would do the kind of damage expected of a longbow, with the "snipe" action, Lona can only use it ten times before getting puckered out. At that point, would calling it a shortbow feel better for you? because at that point, it is an issue, but a pretty minor one.

About stamina cost and Stunlocking.
I'll be honest about the Stunlocking, I have already talked about adding a sort of dark souls-ien "poise" system so that a cunt with dagger would not be the most dangerous thing around, but that didn't happen yet.
For the stamina cost, you have to see it another way, I think. The point of attacks not doing much health damage is so that you don't die when you get dropped, you still have a fighting chance of healing yourself, or, usually, you get enslaved.

Reactions: Adlai

CaiNanE

Nov 19, 2018
Ugh, I didn't have time to work on the translation at all today. But, I figured I could share the arena first floor part and release the remaining parts in one go later on. This way you can do bets and combat in the arena and have some fun with that. Note that the Victory square (Noer ring) and basement isn't touched yet. So, don't do the quest about the missing statue or such. Just the arena.

Last edited:

ColoCala

Apr 22, 2018
Only changes to certain .rb files are updated in-game unless you edit the packaged version of a specific script to enable constant re-building of the game archive files. And that in itself requires Opening said archives in RPGMaker unless a mod can overwrite the option and still have it take effect. The option in question is also found in /Data/Scripts/Frames/FileGetter/FileGetterOptions.rb and you need to set "COMPRESSED=false" but that copy is not used unless said option is already set to false to begin with. I suppose if you have some other way of editing .rvdata2 files that would work too but most of their contents are not human-readable by default.
Thanks for your explanation, the Mod guide didn't mention it :( Btw do you know which .rb files i can edit without having to hassle with all those compressed script archives stuff? Because it looks like i can't change anything using the Mod guide, they just stay the same.

Last edited:

ColoCala

Apr 22, 2018
Ugh, I didn't have time to work on the translation at all today. But, I figured I could share the arena first floor part and release the remaining parts in one go later on. This way you can do bets and combat in the arena and have some fun with that. Note that the Victory square (Noer ring) and basement isn't touched yet. So, don't do the quest about the missing statue or such. Just the arena.
Thanks for the hard work man :)

Reactions: CaiNanE

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Thanks for your explanation, the Mod guide didn't mention it :( Btw do you know which .rb files i can edit without having to hassle with all those compressed script archives stuff? Because it looks like i can't change anything using the Mod guide, they just stay the same.
I haven't tried them all but I would guess anything in "Data/Scripts/Editables" as well as any .rb files in locations other than the Scripts folder. Most of the content data tends to be .json though.

Reactions: ColoCala

Teravisor

Jan 23, 2020
Modding by replacing files is bad because it'll make mod not compatible with any other mod that modifies same file.
Check /ModScripts/ folder for how I made optimization mod.
Modding data files (json) is nasty rn, but it's not too hard to make json mod loader by hooking to different methods that load data.

Teravisor

Jan 23, 2020
Thanks, i'll check it out
I think I should write game load order here to help modding.

====MODDING====
Game load order:
1. it loads ScriptImport, FileGetterOptions and FileGetter script that's kept inside RPGMaker.
2. it uses it to load all game scripts using load_script (/Data/Scripts/ folder). NOTE: if FileGetter::COMPRESSED=true then it only loads files listed in listX.rvdata2 where X is number, basically only .rb files that were there from beginning, no extra files.
3. it uses it to load all mod scripts using load_script (/ModScripts/*.rb folder)
4. it runs /Data/Scripts/Frames/Starter/Main.rb which runs SceneManager.run which runs first scene (adult warning screen) which then runs Scene_MapTitle which is main menu which loads data files (json).
<Game runs>
5. During events to start event load_script(...) is called to load /Data/HCGframes/<something>.rb when needed.

NOTE: when I say "all ... scripts" it means they are ordered by numbers prefix of name so file 0_name.rb will always load before 1_name.rb and 2_name.rb

load_script is defined in ScriptImport inside RPGMaker scripts, it loads script using eval( ( FileGetter::COMPRESSED && File.file?(path) ) ? File.read(path) : load_data(path) )

In other words, there are two ways of loading .rb mod:
1. You put .rb file in /ModScripts/
2. Bad way (will conflict with other mods that replace same file): You replace .rb file in /Data/Scripts/ on same path as base file or /Data/HCGFrames/ for events.
NOTE: This does NOT work for .json files, only for .rb files.

But if you change behaviour of data loading in mod (default behaviour is defined in FileGetterOptions.rb, FileGetter.rb and 5_DataManager.rb) it'll affect how it loads data files (json) because mod is being loaded before those methods are being called.
Simplest way to make it read .json instead of their packed version is make a file /ModScripts/0_uncompress.rb with one line:
Code:
FileGetter::COMPRESSED = false
it'll use json files instead of .rvdata2.
WARNING: it'll make it NOT read .rb and .json from game.rgss3a so game must be unpacked unless you mod all methods that load from folders, I know it's def load_script(path) for .rb and a lot of methods in FileGetter.rb and 5_DataManager.rb for .json

NOTE: You cannot replace FileGetter code by replacing /Data/Scripts/Frames/FileGetter/FileGetter.rb ,same for its options , use ModScripts folder instead. You cannot change behaviour of loading base game scripts because they're loaded before mods so it'll use default code to load them regardless.

Other of my useful posts:
/ModScripts/ folder contains bunch of files with names 0_O_...rb and 1_O_...rb which are my optimization mod, you can use them as reference for how to make a mod without replacing original files.
basics of ruby mods (explains how to redefine specific methods in mod while keeping original method call. Should be easy to infer how to redefine without keeping original method call by simply removing alias/alias_method and call of aliased method)
simple mods (put code listed there in /ModScripts/<number>_<name>.rb file to use mod, e.g. into /ModScripts/123_NoItemDisappearing.rb)
There are few more mods in a lot of pages of this topic, including those in my posts, but too lazy to search for them.

====PALETTE CHANGER====
Starting from 0.4.5.0 /ModScripts/ also contains 2_LonaBitmapChanger.rb that is bitmap palette changer and /ModScripts/PaletteChanger/ folder with its settings and .dll to optimize palette changer. For now it might still contain some bugs in it.
Its principle is:
1. Make two .act files (Adobe Color Table), first is what colors to change(recommended to use base palettes provided by cyan, located in /ModScripts/PaletteChanger/source/ and /source_mc/) second is what colors to change them into.
2. You make .json file in /ModScripts/PaletteChanger/ folder.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
3. Enjoy recolored sprites.

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 181 Votes