Zuul

Dec 2, 2016
And as a genre description in English, it means precisely that in common usage. And even with the meaning "taken off of" your interpretation seems wonky to me because to have something taken off of you, you first need to have it.

All that is however not really relevant at all, since for the purposes of this forum, the rules here define Netorare and that is how we should use it so that everybody in a thread speaks the same language, even if it would be imperfect in the "outside world". And this definition requires the acting part to be a love interest.
Except in English that isn't the genre description, because the genre is a Japanese genre. They don't "redefine" the genre, they just don't know what it means and misattribute it, every Japanese NTR work is an NTR work in English too.

It's a common misconception, not a changed meaning.

And when discussing this site's tags, you would clarify that it's the tag and not the genre, because this site doesn't name its tags per the genres at all. They just use a common naming for the tags so people can get the gist of the content. And doesn't help that the definition and name of the tags change, we already had an NTR tag definition and name change a while back and we're getting a complete tag update in a bit too which will no doubt change it yet again.

Of course everyone can bypass patreon restrictions , but likewise Patreon can "bypass" that and arbitrarily strike you down .
There is no such thing as platforms like Patreon , or in other fields Youtube , strictly and fairly adhering to the rules and exceptions they've set and defined . They can and will do whatever they want , as long as it does not put them in legal jeopardy
They don't do that, and the people getting hit are stupidly keeping their work under the same names or linking to or from their Patreon, so their non-Patreon work can be legally attributed to work done under Patreon's funding which then violates the rules.

And if you don't break any rules and the outside work can't be legally attributed to you, then they cannot do anything about it unless you do something else they can cite as a violation to hit you with.

Just don't leave a trail that leads from A to B, or (in the case of descriptors) leaving it up to user input and defaulting to Patreon friendly ones, so you're in compliance with the rules and you're golden.
Patreon has purged a lot of adult games from the platform in the last few months and often for vague violations. TaffyTales had ~5500 subscribers (over 1000 more than this game) on their page when it got removed and they lost a majority of their income because of it. If the dev doesn't want to add incest then whatever its their game, but lets not pretend that it wouldn't put their income at risk.
Game size is irrelevant. That doesn't magically make your game more or less of a violation of the rules. There's literally tens of dozens of large devs on Patreon using inputs and Lewdpatcher to add in things like loli, incest, bestiality, rape, mind control, etc. and none of them are at any risk whatsoever.

Meanwhile there's plenty of lazy devs who can't be asked to add the content but also don't want the backlash for refusing to do it outright, so they point to the big bad boogieman of Patreon/Steam and say they can't because Conte and Newell will personally break into their houses and smite them.

Tehemai

Oct 9, 2017
Good thing NTR isn't predicated on cheating. Or being a love interest at all, for that matter. It's jealousy over losing someone to someone else, not even in a sexual or romantic context.

So yes, it is NTR.
I largely agree with what you've been saying but upon reflection, I do have a question as it relates to this definition. Does it still qualify if the MC ultimately doesn't end up losing to the bull? Like I believe Sasha was discussed, but what about characters like Aletta?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I feel like the implication of loss that is being disputed may already be somewhat too charitable to begin with. After all, it's not that rare to see stories that spend the bulk of their narrative stoking sexual jealousy only to attempt to avoid the classification with a last minute MC victory.

Last edited:
Reactions: FacelessVixen
Mar 27, 2022
Game size is irrelevant. That doesn't magically make your game more or less of a violation of the rules. There's literally tens of dozens of large devs on Patreon using inputs and Lewdpatcher to add in things like loli, incest, bestiality, rape, mind control, etc. and none of them are at any risk whatsoever.

Meanwhile there's plenty of lazy devs who can't be asked to add the content but also don't want the backlash for refusing to do it outright, so they point to the big bad boogieman of Patreon/Steam and say they can't because Conte and Newell will personally break into their houses and smite them.
I included the subscriber count to show that it wasnt just some small game that no one paid attention to/cared about, and it shows that even large games arent safe from crack downs. Also it literally got banned from patreon. Kingdom of Subversion, Lord Goblin, and Amity Park (under the patreon name GZone), and possibly others have also all been banned from the platform in the past few months. Yes many games have content that violates the rules and haven't been removed, but in no way does that mean "none of them are at any risk whatsoever" You seem like a guy who cares a lot about very specific definitions. So I'd hope you agree that this does in fact suggest some risk, and not none.

Zuul

Dec 2, 2016
I largely agree with what you've been saying but upon reflection, I do have a question as it relates to this definition. Does it still qualify if the MC ultimately doesn't end up losing to the bull? Like I believe Sasha was discussed, but what about characters like Aletta?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I feel like the implication of loss that is being disputed may already be somewhat too charitable to begin with. After all, it's not that rare to see stories that spend the bulk of their narrative stoking sexual jealousy only to attempt to avoid the classification with a last minute MC victory.
Losing to the bull isn't a qualifier, no. A lot of NTR stories end up with a happy ending. It's predicated on a situation where someone is taken away in a sense that establishes a sense of loss or jealousy in the person (or viewer, in certain cases). The person being 'taken' doesn't need to like it, either, that's a whole subgenre of NTR.

I included the subscriber count to show that it wasnt just some small game that no one paid attention to/cared about, and it shows that even large games arent safe from crack downs. Also it literally got banned from patreon. Kingdom of Subversion, Lord Goblin, and Amity Park (under the patreon name GZone), and possibly others have also all been banned from the platform in the past few months. Yes many games have content that violates the rules and haven't been removed, but in no way does that mean "none of them are at any risk whatsoever" You seem like a guy who cares a lot about very specific definitions. So I'd hope you agree that this does in fact suggest some risk, and not none.
My point is that it's a non-starter for subscriber counts to matter. I never brought it up, and it's common sense to know it doesn't matter because Patreon doesn't play favorites with smut.

And no, it's literally zero risk. As in the actual meaning of zero, none, etc. If you get hit by Patreon that means you fucked up, they didn't break the rules just to get you. Patreon will not, nor cannot, touch you without any violations, and the violations have to be provably connected to your account.

Full stop.

If they can't provide an objective case of you breaking their rules, they're open to massive litigations for terminating or suspending your account.

There's no exceptions to how this works. The people who got hit and complained messed up, and the people citing fear of getting hit either don't know what they're talking about or are just using it as an excuse. Much, much larger creators are running around ignoring reports because Patreon can't do anything to stop them from bending the rules to their favor.

I am intimately aware of how this works on a personal level, I've had to deal with Patreon for years.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JollyRancher69
3.60 star(s) 285 Votes