aces4all

Oct 29, 2021
Sir,
Can you provide more information regarding your issue so that ReanVN can look into it. For example, what os/platform you played on? What changes did you make? Have you tried downloading from links other than Itch? Do you have any issue with other Ren'Py games?

This seems like an isolated incident because I have not read other players experiencing similar issue :unsure: . Cheers.
Thanks for the assist but it looks like the issue was mine. Have updated the original post with that info

Simulacrum29

Apr 20, 2018
Hey ReanVN I like what you did till now, but some of your animations are laggy as fuck for me that's probably because of the resolution in which they are rendered. That's just my guess. But in general Animations with a resolution higher than 1080p will demand an ungodly amount of CPU capacity. That can lead to stuttering animations or they don't play at all. Depending on the Hardware the player is using.

• Haha
Reactions: eeyye and dussalant

ReanVN

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2019
Hey ReanVN I like what you did till now, but some of your animations are laggy as fuck for me that's probably because of the resolution in which they are rendered. That's just my guess. But in general Animations with a resolution higher than 1080p will demand an ungodly amount of CPU capacity. That can lead to stuttering animations or they don't play at all. Depending on the Hardware the player is using.
Are you on android? Or maybe you could tell me the specific animation thats laggy.

All video files are rendered at 1080p, and in a webm format.

Simulacrum29

Apr 20, 2018
Are you on android? Or maybe you could tell me the specific animation thats laggy.

All video files are rendered at 1080p, and in a webm format.
The first Animation before the first reading with Myla the panning from the feet to the head is stuttering. The Animation with the redhead on TV is like 3 pictures for me.
The handjob from Noriko in the very first part is okay, but as soon as it gets to jerking it starts to stutter.

Webm is great for reducing file size but Renpy needs more processing power to decode them. If it is possible a 720p version would be awesome, for all people who have older Hardware, but I understand why that could be too much work so, no pressure.

• Haha
Reactions: eeyye and dussalant

JohnF95zone

Engaged Member
Oct 31, 2017
Just some ideas:

Not sure if there is a Ren'Py code that can determine 'older' or 'newer' hardware, but if there is then probably worth it to have both 1080p and 720p videos (at the expense of size, larger install size; or having to create 2 separate install).

Definitely not ideal to convert all the 1080p to 720p and newer videos use 720p only (sorry for those with 'older' hardware). Players (who are able to) should get to see those 1080p (or higher res) videos.

Another approach (keep using 1080p and do not provide 720p videos) would be to have an option to disable animation/videos or a Skip button when animation/vidoes is playing, so that players with 'older' hardware will not see or skip the stuttering animation/videos they will not enjoy anyway.

There are probably other best solutions but that are all I can think of right now. Cheers.

ReanVN

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2019
The animations you've specified are notably larger in file size.

I might lower the framerate or the bitrate. It is running on 60fps which looks smoother, but might be overkill (maybe?) for a VN..

I've been able to recreate the lag in an older device of mine (also maxes out CPU), although this issue isn't exclusive to just my game. I'll have to do some testing first. Thanks for the notice.

Simulacrum29

Apr 20, 2018
The animations you've specified are notably larger in file size.

I might lower the framerate or the bitrate. It is running on 60fps which looks smoother, but might be overkill (maybe?) for a VN..

I've been able to recreate the lag in an older device of mine (also maxes out CPU), although this issue isn't exclusive to just my game. I'll have to do some testing first. Thanks for the notice.
it's by no means only your game, it's a general problem with renpy handling larger animation files.

I know my PC isn't state-of-the-art Tech anymore, but I can play games like Cyberpunk just fine, while some renpy games are killing it. (meaning renpy as is is probably poorly optimized for larger animations )

And it will probably happen more often as creators get better rigs.

But if I'm interested in a game I let the creator know, because I will probably not be the only one with that problem.

ReanVN

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2019
I know my PC isn't state-of-the-art Tech anymore, but I can play games like Cyberpunk just fine, while some renpy games are killing it. (meaning renpy as is is probably poorly optimized for larger animations )
If possible, could you share your pc specs?

ReanVN

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2019
The first Animation before the first reading with Myla the panning from the feet to the head is stuttering. The Animation with the redhead on TV is like 3 pictures for me.
The handjob from Noriko in the very first part is okay, but as soon as it gets to jerking it starts to stutter.
I've figured out the issue. Apparently some older animations were encoded using a different method than what I'm currently using. Even playing the raw video file in VLC can cause nearly 20% CPU usage. When renpy does it, it would spike to nearly 45%.

I've updated the newest version (0.3) of the game with optimized animations, and (hopefully) fixed the issues.

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Maidens of Power [v0.3] [Rean] – Compressed

Win/Linux v0.3 · · · (242.6 MiB :: 787.9 MiB)
Mac v0.3 · · · (228.0 MiB :: 773.3 MiB)
This compression is unofficial, reduces asset quality, and may or may not break your game.

Caveat emptor.

Jimayo

Jan 1, 2018
ReanVN Poutine is fries, either cheese curds or shredded mozza, and gravy, not just fries and gravy.

Deejeey

Sep 11, 2020
game said new scene with girl in store but she is always busy. work is also not triggering anything.

ReanVN

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2019
game said new scene with girl in store but she is always busy. work is also not triggering anything.
You need to work two more times after unlocking the first one. I'm trying to build a hint system in the gallery at the next update, so hopefully issues like are easily solved.

Reactions: Deejeey

BrknParts

Aug 4, 2020
I won't give a review right now, because I don't want to give a bad one, and looks like the Dev is reading this post which is nice.
The game doesn't stand by itself until Myla's first appearance, she seems like a nice sweet and naive girl, and a liked every scene she's in.
But before that, It seems like you created Shiro to explain to us what everything is about, he's your exposition dump guy, and for every new concept that you think that we won't understand, I know he's gonna be there.
Without him breaking the pacing would be a very good Visual Novel, because looks like Sandbox is tied to the story either way.

Reactions: ReanVN

ReanVN

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2019
Without him breaking the pacing
I was worried about this to be honest. I might've dumped too much information with him, and maybe should've left some aspects a mystery to the player. The only thing that went through my mind when I make these scenes are what the reasoning is behind everything that is happening. (I can't just let something go unexplained.) And my answer to that, is to have a convenient exposition guy to explain everything to the player.

I do occasionally give options to allow the players to just skip the info-dump a bit. But thanks for the feedback! I'll see what I can do to stop Shiro from blabbering his mouth too much, and maybe just the occasional comment or two.

Also, partly why the pacing feels off, might be because I don't have much story-content yet, but I do intend to rectify that within the next update, and hopefully the moments with Shiro seem smaller.

Woodstock_1983

Sep 16, 2020
deleted this game because it was confusing on what I was supposed to do. Please make a guide on what to do?

• Haha
Reactions: eeyye

ReanVN

Game Developer
Feb 26, 2019
deleted this game because it was confusing on what I was supposed to do. Please make a guide on what to do?
Hmm.. Is this the free roam part? If you've unlocked all the scenes in the gallery (and you can replay them), then you've unlocked most of the content on version 0.3. The main story has a hint on what you're supposed to do.

Eric789

Jun 14, 2022
Not good or bad, But I don't know what I am, What happened?I don't know nothing until the end. I hope it can change.

3.20 star(s) 6 Votes