Making my own Game and like some opinions

Your thoughts of Point of View VN's

• Total voters

Serenity@Blended Imagery

Nov 17, 2022
Hello everyone just wanted to know what people thing of POV VN'S?

Instead of having the MC in the picture you won't see them fully unless its a mirror or reflection of a picture taken of them. Which I have and it just makes it so easy to do POV renders with it!

BTW best POV VN I can think as a great example is Bad Memories other 142 odd POV VN Games

Reason I ask is the strange way my story will go in the VN....

Back story is twin sister get a house from their dad and mom that died in a car accident, they have to live in it together for 5 years to get to keep it. If they don't the house get sold and goes to an animal shelter. They both have to along with their family.

This is where it gets complex.... As I wanted to set it up as a Landlord/tenants lay out, allowing the players to change the relationships as most incest games do.... Which is turning out to be a nightmare to get the Renpy coding to work right..... Want to get it to it ends up correct in all the text once the player sets it to what they like, but not having much luck.....

So the issue is I want the game to be the MC who is the child/tenant (to one of the sisters) of the game, instead of having it as the wife or husband like most VN's....

What I wanted to do is let her show you the world through her eyes of her parent/landlords get up to, but you get to influence their decisions when they ask you for your opinion.

I'm yet to find such a VN that the MC doesn't take a direct active sexual role. Although I will end up having the MC joining in eventually.

Reason I wanted to do such a crazy story is due to a lot of literotica (yes its a website, look it up!) I've read that gave me the idea but yet to see a VN like it.

The main tags for it would be
Reason its not incest as I will be writing it as not being such that will be a players descension.... But yes once you change the setup it should work as such.... And no I don't want to have a incest patch or built in switch for it.

Which I thought "Shared Housemates" for the title to work well for play on words lol.

Any advice or feedback would be muchly appreciated, almost sorted looks for the main 4 females next are the husbands, which I was thinking of using Michael 8 for one and Darius 8 for the other as I have them. want to keep it simple lol. As it stands the 4 women are the same base model, sisters are twins and the other 2 are just different morphs and scaling. its just hair I need to work out and also tattoos and perching's. As I wanted to have them being part of the story as why or how they got it.

Truly want to set my VN as a choose your own adventure, with a lot of detail. Just a lot to think about before even doing a simple render for it lol. Have to give credits to everyone that made and makes VN's, although I think its the writers that should really get most of the credit. The ones that make it tend to be the ones with stories that keep you entertained that's for sure!

Main issue first is do I make it POV base VN or not? Guess I can start all the dialog and text side until I work that part out?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Main issue first is do I make it POV base VN or not? Guess I can start all the dialog and text side until I work that part out?
Since you talk about writing the dialogs first, I guess that you talk strictly about the visual Point Of View.
But in the same time you say that MC will just be a witness, including for most of the sexual content. And this limit the point of view you can use.
If you build all your visuals from a first person POV, the player will quickly assume that whatever he see, it's what the MC is seeing. What will lead to a creepy story where the MC pass a part of her time peeping at people having sex...
Therefore, you're limited to third person POV, making the player being an invisible witness who follow MC journey most of the time, but can also switch to secondary characters. Or at most an impersonal first person POV, therefore something between over shoulder first person POV and third person POV.

On a side note:
As I wanted to set it up as a Landlord/tenants lay out, allowing the players to change the relationships as most incest games do.... Which is turning out to be a nightmare to get the Renpy coding to work right.....
Not the fault of the engine, it would be the same whatever the engine used to make the game.
It's the method (freely defined relationship) that is in fault here. It remove all control you have over the story, because the player can decide that the MC is the twin sister, childhood friend, stranger roommate, coworker roommate, and anything else that cross his mind.
It's why relying on an incest patch is always better, because it give you back the control over the story. You've the default game, with a given relationship, and therefore a known motive that permit you to write correct dialog. And you've the patched game, with another relationship, and therefore another motive, known here too, that permit you to write correct dialogs anytime you've to have alternate ones.
And it happen that this is easier with Ren'Py than with some other game engines.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
First person POV is good as long as you don't restrict yourself to it and allow yourself to bring 3rd person views when it fits better. On some sexual positions 1st person looks hot (doggie, cowgirl) but refusing to use 3rd person will mean that missionary position sex is just weird (you just see the girl's face for the whole scene) and cunnilingus or kissing shots are downright horrific IMHO.

Also, by refusing to show MC you are completely missing wordless communication like the MC grinning wordlessly, tilts his head slightly to show doubt etc. You're denying yourself a powerful story telling tool.

The best solution in my opinion is to switch to the MC's POV when it suits the scene, but also use other POVs if they fit better. Good luck!

Serenity@Blended Imagery

Nov 17, 2022
Since you talk about writing the dialogs first, I guess that you talk strictly about the visual Point Of View.
But in the same time you say that MC will just be a witness, including for most of the sexual content. And this limit the point of view you can use.
If you build all your visuals from a first person POV, the player will quickly assume that whatever he see, it's what the MC is seeing. What will lead to a creepy story where the MC pass a part of her time peeping at people having sex...
Therefore, you're limited to third person POV, making the player being an invisible witness who follow MC journey most of the time, but can also switch to secondary characters. Or at most an impersonal first person POV, therefore something between over shoulder first person POV and third person POV.

On a side note:

Not the fault of the engine, it would be the same whatever the engine used to make the game.
It's the method (freely defined relationship) that is in fault here. It remove all control you have over the story, because the player can decide that the MC is the twin sister, childhood friend, stranger roommate, coworker roommate, and anything else that cross his mind.
It's why relying on an incest patch is always better, because it give you back the control over the story. You've the default game, with a given relationship, and therefore a known motive that permit you to write correct dialog. And you've the patched game, with another relationship, and therefore another motive, known here too, that permit you to write correct dialogs anytime you've to have alternate ones.
And it happen that this is easier with Ren'Py than with some other game engines.
Great point on the POV, something extra to think about!

Also thanks for patch info didn't know that!
Could you possibly point me in the direction to best learn how to code a patch please?

Serenity@Blended Imagery

Nov 17, 2022
First person POV is good as long as you don't restrict yourself to it and allow yourself to bring 3rd person views when it fits better. On some sexual positions 1st person looks hot (doggie, cowgirl) but refusing to use 3rd person will mean that missionary position sex is just weird (you just see the girl's face for the whole scene) and cunnilingus or kissing shots are downright horrific IMHO.

Also, by refusing to show MC you are completely missing wordless communication like the MC grinning wordlessly, tilts his head slightly to show doubt etc. You're denying yourself a powerful story telling tool.

The best solution in my opinion is to switch to the MC's POV when it suits the scene, but also use other POVs if they fit better. Good luck!
MMM yes that also a valid point.... ahhhh so much to consider now!

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
imagine the best movie you've ever seen, your all time favourite.

now imagine it without ever showing the face of the main character.

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020
and cunnilingus or kissing shots are downright horrific IMHO.
Those kinds of POV shots are horrific indeed.

Buuuut, a cunnilingus closeup is great for a "cunnilingus or unbirthing?" guessing game, and a kissing POV shot allows an even more complex guess of "kissing, vore, or monster sucking your brain, soul or lungs out?"

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Doorknob22

Serenity@Blended Imagery

Nov 17, 2022
imagine the best movie you've ever seen, your all time favourite.

now imagine it without ever showing the face of the main character.
In that case its: Star Wars original when it first came out at the cinemas :).... Yes I'm that old lol!
losest to my concept of the game I want to make, would be tp doing it from 's perspective... and ye I guess its impossible doing a full POV VN that way!
Miss out on too much detail of what side stories and other part are happening.... eg The MC say to someone do this and the MC isn't there, that part could be rendered and added to the story but won't be POV I guess...
You made a very valid statement.

So only if its the MC it self will it be POV, while all other parts it's . Guess that's the best way to do it....

Serenity@Blended Imagery

Nov 17, 2022
I'm starting to realize I need a system to keep track of the MC and the people the MC interacts with, like love and corruption at the very least.... To help with what happens during the duration of the game. Anyone happen to know the best way to setup a coding in Renpy for this?