Male sluttiness vs. Female sluttiness

215303j

Yesterday I played the new game The Best of Intentions.
In a nutshell, it's a father-daughter incest game with a very slutty daughter.
You can read my review here but that's not the point of this thread.

I was a bit "suprised" about the NTR flak that the game got in the thread, although at the start of the game there is no sexual relationship between the father and the daughter.
IRL, it is quite normal that a daughter has sex with different guys. As a father you may like that or (more likely) not, but there is not so much you can do about that besides trying to raise her well.

With guys (male protagonist games) on the other hand, it seems completely acceptable that the MC has sex with all girls in the game. It is even expected of all those girls to stay loyal to the MC even though he's not loyal to them.

I believe that in general there is a difference how society perceives Male sluttiness (cool guy or even "alpha male") vs. Female sluttiness (slut, whore, cumdump).
On the other hand it seems to be also expected of "popular girls" to "put out" on dates, but not too much or too fast otherwise she's clearly a "slut" whereas males don't have this problem. The only problem guys have is that they are perceived as "not cool" if they are "still" a virgin at age X.

Any thoughts on this matter?

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah I have talked a bit about this issue, from what I have seen what happens is the following:

1º Many people like to take the place of the MC while playing
2º Being the MC means that you have a free card to have sex with all the girls in the game.
3º Those girls even if you don't care about them anymore can't have sex with other people.

However rather than making it a boy or girl issue it's a MC issue.

In games in which the MC is a girl we find that she can be as slutty as she wants compared to the usually very pure boyfriend who would only have sex with his girlfriend and would be oblivious to cheating and even be a bit retarded about finding out that the girl had sex with almost all the people in the town.

The interesting thing is just that, the MC has the freedom to do whatever he wants and most games focus on protecting your right to have full control over the rest of the characters.

About the reason that actually explains this conduct is mainly based on fetishes and similars. People in these games usually just want to see what they want to see, so there is an overuse of the "optional content", because if someone finds out a footjob for example and doesn't have that fetish he will start asking for it to be optional and why the hell did he have to see it.

Here is the problem. There are people that only tolerate the fetishes they like, so if you don't make it so that only what the want to happen happens then they won't support a game or just be a troll. This is quite a big problem because people don't have any tolerance to anything they dislike (I mean generally, not all).

Personally I only refuse extreme fetishes that actually could make me vomit like "scat, gore, vore, bestiality and similars". Those truly can't be in a normal game because it is really disgusting and not because it turns you on or off, but because it goes a lot beyond that.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
IRL, it is quite normal that a daughter has sex with different guys. As a father you may like that or (more likely) not, but there is not so much you can do about that besides trying to raise her well.
merry on daughters.jpg

With guys (male protagonist games) on the other hand, it seems completely acceptable that the MC has sex with all girls in the game. It is even expected of all those girls to stay loyal to the MC even though he's not loyal to them.
People are used to devs pandering to their self-inserting and exclusive access to women. If you see a game ask for you to name your character you can assume the story/setting has no significance or integrity and it's just to appeal to specific group of people.

I believe that in general there is a difference how society perceives Male sluttiness (cool guy or even "alpha male") vs. Female sluttiness (slut, whore, cumdump).
On the other hand it seems to be also expected of "popular girls" to "put out" on dates, but not too much or too fast otherwise she's clearly a "slut" whereas males don't have this problem. The only problem guys have is that they are perceived as "not cool" if they are "still" a virgin at age X.
The cost of sex is higher for women, if a woman got pregnant accidentally it has massive implications for their lives even today.

If a woman has sex with many men (after the invention of birth control) other women will be annoyed by it because it devalues their bargaining power with men, so they call those women sluts and discriminate against them. Same reason feminists are against sex robots.

Young men are anxious about finding who they are and where they stand on the social hierarchy, if they fail to get laid it's a hit to their self-esteem because it might indicate they're low on the hierarchy. Later in their lives they've figured out where they stand and the chemical in their brains balance out.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
When it comes to games I don't really care. The games with NTR tend to be male protag and I can't immerse in the opposite gender so his women fucking around is meaningless to me, i'm only there to see the women fuck I don't care who it is they are bouncing on.

Generally I play romance games so cheating isn't an issue, the drama in dating sims doesn't tend to come from a love rival. In fact, love rivals seem pretty rare in romance based dating sims. The only time i've seen someone trying to get the girl on that path tend to be so annoying even if she wasn't with you she wouldn't be with them (case ... Under One Wing, one of the girls ran away from home to escape an ultra annoying rich moron who was trying to marry her, that's how it usually goes).

When it comes to real life stuff I care even less about what people do. I'm all for women that love sex, I know plenty of them, much like blokes.

Alpha males and the like I couldn't possibly give any less of a shit about sexually. I'm a dyke, what they do is their own business their junk aint ever getting near me so they are free to stick it in anything they want.

People should be free to enjoy sex as much as they want, it's their body, their rules.

I genuinely detest judgemental pricks, don't have the time of day for them.

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
To me it has to do with how its done... I dont care about NTR if it was done with fucking "class" rather than the same tired trite shit... To me its about winning, losing, and being humble in either scenario... people hate sore winners just as much as sore losers... And also its based on "worthiness" for me, like Thor's hammer, were only the worthy deserve to win, not the scumbags...

Lets take one of my least favorite IllusionSoft games... Rapelay... fucking hated that game, and the only reason I never deleted it from my old PC was due to the censorship it got from stupid snowflakes... Hate fucking censorship !! Anyway in that game your MC got sent to jail before the game even starts due to trying to molest and possibly rape a "18" year old hichschooler who promptly alerted the police of your BS... you start the game 1 year later after being released from prison... and your objective is "get this"... taking revenge on the cunt that sent you to jail... (yeah fuck her for sending your rapist ass to jail). So your starting with a scumbag mother fucking loser protagonist... if the game had male rivals (say the mom or either of the two schoolgirl sisters had a boyfriend or a male friend) and they were awesome people I wouldnt mind watching them beat the MC... both in banging the girls and even beating the MC's ass savagely every time he got near them... Why ? Simple... the MC is a fucking piece of shit, and the rivals are decent human beings that deserve a reward for not being shit-stains...

Now lets compare that to how most NTR scenarios play out in VN... yes your MC can be a playboy, the thing is he isnt purposely hurting the girls or trying to rape them (at least in most game with decent choices for love or corruption routes). He is sincere when he says he loves ALL of THEM, he just has too much love to give...meanwhile his rivals are always either fucking ugly... fucking fat, or fucking old... sometime they hit the tri-fecta !! And yet the devs writing always makes them Gary-Stus... if your MC is a Doctor with a shit ton of money, then the rivals are head of the mafia, the president of the country, or something that surpasses the MC so they can be written to have leverage over him and his significant other for blackmail or corruption to stack in his favor... its just horseshit...

Me personally I enjoy Anna Exciting Adventure, and its tagged NTR, but deepsleep is doing an amazing job with the choices... in my playthrough she has never been blacked, and I was able to shutdown the fatass boss right away, and he never bothered her again (its not a constant rejection BS, the dude took the hint !!). So I have no problem with NTR games where the girl is the "playa" fucking everything she wants... KEY WORD "WANTS" meaning I as the player can select who she fucks and how many times !! Not the game forcing me to watch her get raped by every piece of shit loser in the city because she is dumber than Lou Ferigno on Opium....

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Its definitely a bit hypocritical.

Guy who has lots of sex with lots of girls = playboy, cool guy and has "bragging rights" or whatever
Same for girl: Whore, slut. "Easy" looked down on, by both guys and girls.
Girl who is virgin: Pure, innocent and admirable.
Same for guy: Not cool, gets made fun of. Weak.

A girl banging her husband or boyfriend (not MC) isn't NTR, a girl flirting with other guys isn't NTR. So i would also say the daughter in this game being "slutty" isn't NTR either. Now, i would understand if you took a protective father approach and wanted to stop her from being a potential cum-dump but that still isn't NTR.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
From my experience, irl men don't get a free pass for being slutty, nobody takes them seriously and they are generally perceived as unreliable. It's not the same as women, but still pretty bad. Now in regards to games (and I would like to believe it's only in the games), a lot of people equates sex to conquest, you, the player character must fuck as many women as you can while protecting your harem from the other evil males trying to steal them.

That even goes for most female lead games, where the MC is often pursued (and raped) by every living creature in the world and can only protect her innocence from their advances. And more interestingly, a lot of the "optional" NTR in games also has a similar premise and effectively works as a punishment for the player for failing to properly romance them.

Personally, I hold women in my games with the same standards as the males, if they want to fuck and have fun more power to them, but if they are dumb enough to be blackmailed by their boss, they are incompetent, if they betray my trust, I'll have revenge.

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
From my experience, irl men don't get a free pass for being slutty, nobody takes them seriously and they are generally perceived as unreliable. It's not the same as women, but still pretty bad. Now in regards to games (and I would like to believe it's only in the games), a lot of people equates sex to conquest, you, the player character must fuck as many women as you can while protecting your harem from the other evil males trying to steal them.

That even goes for most female lead games, where the MC is often pursued (and raped) by every living creature in the world and can only protect her innocence from their advances. And more interestingly, a lot of the "optional" NTR in games also has a similar premise and effectively works as a punishment for the player for failing to properly romance them.

Personally, I hold women in my games with the same standards as the males, if they want to fuck and have fun more power to them, but if they are dumb enough to be blackmailed by their boss, they are incompetent, if they betray my trust, I'll have revenge.
Personally I have the same view on many points. But when I think of optional I always imagine the choices that say "option 1: NTR route" "option 2: Non NTR route". I'm like... bullshit.

For me a fetish like NTR requires exactly the opposite compared to other games, lack of player input. If you ignore a girl or don't do enough to prevent that the rival seduces her away then I find it perfectly fine that she leaves you. Taking choices that help the rival to win? no thank you.

And well... until today I haven't seen a good NTR game in the english side, there are a few in the japanese one but well, just wanted to say that.

Rythan25

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2018
Personally I have the same view on many points. But when I think of optional I always imagine the choices that say "option 1: NTR route" "option 2: Non NTR route". I'm like... bullshit.

For me a fetish like NTR requires exactly the opposite compared to other games, lack of player input. If you ignore a girl or don't do enough to prevent that the rival seduces her away then I find it perfectly fine that she leaves you. Taking choices that help the rival to win? no thank you.

And well... until today I haven't seen a good NTR game in the english side, there are a few in the japanese one but well, just wanted to say that.
The choices have to be organic though, look at the game that became a recent battleground for haters vs fanboys of that fetish.... The Engagement... having the choices be

1. Get off the phone with GF and go to your super important work meeting
2. Stay on the Phone with GF and get demoted in your job

How the fuck does picking number 2 block NTR ? which is what it does, women want their man to succeed and bring home that cash, and arent that insecure that they cant be apart from them for 3 fucking days without wanting another man's dick !!

Until people/devs learn to make clear and concise choices/options, I'll take that parenthesis "this choice leads to NTR", Thank you very much...Not one of the people that put that fetish into their game give options like

1. Go out with your buddies and tell your GF she can hang out at home with her ex-bf she almost married
2. Spend a romantic evening with your bae, the guys can see you another day

Shit like that makes it clear what could happen should be stupid enough to leave you "supposedly love of your life alone with a possible threat in favor of getting shit faced at a stripper club with your frat boy buddies".

Reactions: 215303j

Pharan

Apr 23, 2017
These things can be easily explained with understanding basic biology.. such as Vasopressin, which predominantly affects males.

It makes males possessive, controlling, and highly emotionally receptive to actions that can take his mate away, such as his partner associating with other males without him. It binds males to be emotionally bonded with their partner so that they will stick with them through difficult situations such as pregnancy for the benefit of the offspring.

There is no on/off switch for this reaction.

I Always find it funny reading peoples cultural pseudoscience mumbo jumbo about how this is a "hypocritical double-standard" that society embraces or that they are "judgmental pricks"... lol. Yeah no shit sherlock, except for the fact that males and females are NOT THE SAME.

You're not going to ever change how people naturally react to basic biology. What you can do is be cognizant and understanding of these differences so you can build around them in a reasonable way.

People need to do a better job at practicing empathizing with the other sex so there can be real actual mutual respect between the genders by better understanding each other.

Males will always be worried about issues relating to sluttiness, promiscuity, NTR, and cucking because it is hormonal.

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
The choices have to be organic though, look at the game that became a recent battleground for haters vs fanboys of that fetish.... The Engagement... having the choices be

1. Get off the phone with GF and go to your super important work meeting
2. Stay on the Phone with GF and get demoted in your job

How the fuck does picking number 2 block NTR ? which is what it does, women want their man to succeed and bring home that cash, and arent that insecure that they cant be apart from them for 3 fucking days without wanting another man's dick !!

Until people/devs learn to make clear and concise choices/options, I'll take that parenthesis "this choice leads to NTR", Thank you very much...Not one of the people that put that fetish into their game give options like

1. Go out with your buddies and tell your GF she can hang out at home with her ex-bf she almost married
2. Spend a romantic evening with your bae, the guys can see you another day

Shit like that makes it clear what could happen should be stupid enough to leave you "supposedly love of your life alone with a possible threat in favor of getting shit faced at a stripper club with your frat boy buddies".
Yeah but the issue there is just that the developer... let's just say that didn't think at all about the options and effects. Non of those choices should lead to NTR and what I'm saying is that directly choosing to select the NTR route is stupid.

I actually understand that with those options EVERYONE needs a warning, but I critic that the options lead to it in itself. I believe more on a system that takes into account NTR, with stats and things like that.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
These things can be easily explained with understanding basic biology.. such as Vasopressin, which predominantly affects males.

It makes males possessive, controlling, and highly emotionally receptive to actions that can take his mate away, such as his partner associating with other males without him. It binds males to be emotionally bonded with their partner so that they will stick with them through difficult situations such as pregnancy for the benefit of the offspring.

I Always find it funny reading peoples cultural pseudoscience mumbo jumbo about how this is a "hypocritical double-standard" that society embraces or that they are "judgmental pricks"... lol. Yeah no shit sherlock, except for the fact that males and females are NOT THE SAME.

You're not going to ever change how people naturally react to basic biology. What you can do is be cognizant and understanding of these differences so you can build around them in a reasonable way.

People need to do a better job at practicing empathizing with the other sex so there can be real actual mutual respect between the genders by better understanding each other.

Males will always be worried about issues relating to sluttiness, promiscuity, NTR, and cucking because it is hormonal.
But women also experience sexual jealousy and are similarly intolerant of promiscuous male partners. Generally they only tolerate it when there's a significant disparity in power in a relationship. While there's no "slut shaming" of males, a man with a reputation for cheating on his girlfriends does gradually pay a price for it. Men may consider a young man who does such things a stud, perhaps even a single man who does so a stud...but a married man with kids who cheats? They'd also be considered untrustworthy by friends, particularly if they had fucked a friend's girlfriend in the past.
There are social consequences for male promiscuity, particularly if it is reflective of unethical interpersonal behavior such as cheating, hurting friends or a lack of respect for boundaries.

Reactions: Rythan25

Ultralazuli

Jul 8, 2018
I feel like there should be a standardized meter of how realistic a game is. That'd probably help players make better decisions as to what kind of games they could enjoy, and what level of realism they are looking for, but I'm not sure such a thing could exist.

215303j

However rather than making it a boy or girl issue it's a MC issue.
That may be true, but not entirely.

First of all, there are hardly any female MC games where the MC is "neutral". Usually she is more or less "pure" with the intention of the game is to "corrupt" her by limiting her choices to avoid this "corruption". Male MC's are more blank slate usually.

Secondly, maybe it's me as a guy, but if I do have a "neutral" female MC, I generally try to avoid sex with most guys. Instead I go for lesbian relations and maybe one guy who is somehow "special". On the other hand with a male MC I also have some reservations but still often find myself going for everything with two legs and two tits.

LOL! You might be right... :unsure:

People are used to devs pandering to their self-inserting and exclusive access to women. If you see a game ask for you to name your character you can assume the story/setting has no significance or integrity and it's just to appeal to specific group of people.
This I don't really agree to. Exclusive access is actually the norm within a traditional relationship. This exclusivity extends to a certain parts to other members of the household, such as daughters or even younger sisters in some ways. Of course by "exclusive access" I mean lack of access for other males, not access for the guy himself. ;)

The cost of sex is higher for women, if a woman got pregnant accidentally it has massive implications for their lives even today.
That's kind of true, but there is birth control and the result of that on sexual behaviour should not be underestimated. Personally I think society is still struggling with this technology and the sexual revolution in general. Modern birth control is not maybe not 100% but it is 99.9% which theoretically could reduce sex to a purely recreational activity, regardless of where, why and with whom. Still most people (outside some porn games) do not fuck their own mother at the breakfast table. ;) But actually there would be nothing against that if you view sex purely from a procreational standpoint, because if the procreation aspect is removed by birth control, the pleasure is the only thing that remains, besides the complicated emotional / relational aspects of course.

To me it has to do with how its done... I dont care about NTR if it was done with fucking "class" rather than the same tired trite shit... To me its about winning, losing, and being humble in either scenario... people hate sore winners just as much as sore losers... And also its based on "worthiness" for me, like Thor's hammer, were only the worthy deserve to win, not the scumbags...
You are right, but up to a point. I would not want to "share" or lose my girlfriend with any guy, regardless of how "worthy" he might be. But I guess that's not what you mean. ;)

On the other hand, if you are dating a girl but she gets more interested by another guy (preferably before you sleep with her) then I'd consider it just a lost opportunity. I may be mad for a while but in the end I'd think it's probably for the best that it ended as early as possible.

That's more or less the nature vs nurture argument...
We are obviously not going to solve that argument here, but I think the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Some things can be hard wired, but we are also thinking creatures who can overcome their base desires.

Men may consider a young man who does such things a stud, perhaps even a single man who does so a stud...but a married man with kids who cheats? They'd also be considered untrustworthy by friends, particularly if they had fucked a friend's girlfriend in the past.
Not sure about that.... It may also depend on a persons social and cultural circumstances.

Reactions: Carion_Crow

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Yesterday I played the new game The Best of Intentions.
In a nutshell, it's a father-daughter incest game with a very slutty daughter.
You can read my review here but that's not the point of this thread.

I was a bit "suprised" about the NTR flak that the game got in the thread, although at the start of the game there is no sexual relationship between the father and the daughter.

Any thoughts on this matter?
I think it comes down to who is the protagonist and the circumstances of the story, that determines what type of immersion and/or relatability effects the VN/Game will have on the reader/player...

The protagonist has the greatest impact, especially in Choice based VN/Games... Because you are adding another level of immersion for the reader/player, that will have a greater effect on their emotional investment... Not always, but a majority of the time the reader/player wants to be the one catching all the breaks, and winning over all the lust and love interests... So if there is a character or characters getting in the way, then it is natural for both jealousy as well as anger to incur within the reader/player... Especially when, whom they perceive, as "their" protagonist gets cock/pussy blocked and/or similar emotional turmoil, causing the emotions to run high, which in turn may cause them to no longer want to read/play the story... And a lot of developers know this, so they try not to create friction between their product and the target audience...

So you get the protagonist usually being setup as the pervert of the story... And there seems to be a tendency in many cases for the developers out there to include some, slut style character personalities, around the protagonist... Typically because those types of characters are much easier targets for the protagonist, and/or is done in order to create an excuse for earlier erotic/porn scenes in a VN/Game... I think there is a tendency to do this in order to cater to the more instant gratification crowd, regardless if there are other characters with a slower work up to the sex stuff, or not...

Sometimes the protagonist is not only the pervert, but also the target of slut style corruption... Male or Female? That tends to be determined by the developer either based off their experiences or based off their relatability of telling the story in the first place...

This is also a male dominated industry when it comes to readers/players... So many a time, it is the same with the developer, and so they both relate easier with a male protagonist... Hence why you don't see as many Female Protagonist VN/Games... And a majority of the female protagonists you do see, she is the target of corruption or sexual promiscuity, rather then the one going after the targets and/or corrupting/seducing them... Another sign of a male dominated, and perhaps sometimes even sexist industry...

With the male dominance by both the developers and the readers/players, you get a tendency for more promiscuous style female characters over male characters... Stereotypical male sluts tend to be the young and slightly dumb jock, or mean spirited and abusive boyfriend/husband, who just want to bed as many women as possible... The stereotypical female slut tends to be the young super model style character who is either highly manipulative and craves sex constantly, typically either she is mean spirited or dumb as a rock... You also have the stereotyped older woman with either super huge breasts and butt or slightly larger breasts but looks younger then she should, who is either easy to manipulate because she is repressed sexually, or she is highly into her own sexuality and is ready to bed any cute guy who comes into her orbit... And the list goes on for both sexes...

I wouldn't call all the women or men in these VN/Games, who are slightly or highly over sexualized, as being sluts though... The very definition of slut is that they have a tendency to have casual sex with many various sex partners... So just because a character acts sexual and comes on to the protagonist very easily, or she is so comfortably with her own sexuality that she acts sexual towards a male/female character in the story quite often... That doesn't necessarily make him or her a slut... Some characters may just be licentious (promiscuous and unprincipled in sexual matters), with only one or very few sexual partners…

You can't always equate real life relevancy to what happens in a majority of these erotic/porn themed VN/Games... 9 times out of 10 these things are more about the fantasy of a situation rather then the reality of it... Adding some realism here and there, both into the story and character development, is always a plus... But to say what happens in these VN/Games and how quickly it sometimes happens has any basis on real life, that would be a very loose comparison most of the time... So in your analogy of the daughter and father, where the daughter may sleep around and that a father should come to terms with it... In real life, yes, that is how it tends or should tend to happen... But in the world of fiction, it isn't about reality, as that would be Non-Fiction... Relatability is nice to have in fiction, but whether that is related to the reality of a situation or the fantasy of a situation is entirely up to how the story is told and how the reader perceives it... It's a balance that is not always maintained or easy to maintain, for either side... But is so much more fun to read/play when it does, again depending on the person...

Zip

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I think it comes down to who is the protagonist and the circumstances of the story, that determines what type of immersion and/or relatability effects the VN/Game will have on the reader/player...

The protagonist has the greatest impact, especially in Choice based VN/Games... Because you are adding another level of immersion for the reader/player, that will have a greater effect on their emotional investment...
I think a big part of it also depends on whether the player tends to imagine themself as the main character or whether they think of themselves more as a spectator or puppeteer. I know in my case if the MC is male I just always unconsciously imagine myself as the MC so I'm emotionally invested in whatever is happening to the MC. That's probably also why I strongly prefer playing games where the MC is male. Would be curious to know whether the reverse is true for female players.

The same is not true for me if the MC is female. I think of myself as a spectator or puppeteer in that case. So I have no problem at all playing as a female where she's being cheated on, raped, degraded, whatever because it's not happening to "me". If I'm playing a male character though I have the same type of reaction that I would if that was actually happening to me.

So I have a negative reaction to NTR playing as a male unless I was intentionally trying to see those scenes, but I have no negative reaction to the exact same type of scene if I'm playing as a female. In my case this is only an issue for games. I can watch porn where the main character is a guy and he's being cheated on and it doens't bother me at all because if I'm watching TV or a movie I never imagine myself as the MC, always just a spectator.

W65

May 31, 2018

Um. Have any citations for that?

Reactions: Iramis

Pharan

Apr 23, 2017
Um. Have any citations for that?
Sure!

"Vasopressin Vasopressin is made in the brain. Both men and women make it. However, the male hormone testosterone synergizes with vasopressin – the two greatly enhance each other. A woman and man might have equal levels of vasopressin but the man experiences stronger effects. Physically, vasopressin causes water retention and high blood pressure; high levels may increase forehead size. Personality wise, vasopressin influences male social and sexual behavior, public communication, and paternal behavior. In animals (mammals), it promotes aggression, territorial competition and dominance with other males. It bonds males to mates and children. For men, it also promotes partner recognition, sexual arousal, courtship behavior, monogamy, pair bonding and mate guarding. Vasopressin also improves cognitive ability by enhancing memory. It allows one to feel separate, with dampened emotional responses and more “sensible” or “reasonable” behavior. Depressed people also have higher vasopressin."

More Academic Paper:

Damn, I was female all along and didn't know.
Hm. You literally have NTR in your name. :unsure:

I'm guessing you got tripped up on the word "worried"... how about "emotionally receptive" like I used earlier in my post? :rolleyes:

Reactions: obibobi
Jun 20, 2017
I have some issues with the claims put forth by Dario Nardio, there are some inconsistencies when compared to the peer-reviewed paper you posted. In these points, more specifically:

First, it's important to note that the part about animals (mammals) does not translate to humans. He didn't actually outright claim that, but by adding that to the mix, specially with a subsequent "For men, it also..." it might lead others to believe that could be the case; and according to that scientific paper you cited there's nothing that supports the translation from animal to human of those specific features: "aggression, territorial competition and dominance with other males. It bonds males to mates and children".

I read the entirety of the sections 8(AVP in Male Humans), 10(Translation from animals to humans) and 11(Conclusions). Aside from "partner recognition" and "enhancing memory" I didn't see anything that supports "sexual arousal, courtship behavior, monogamy, pair bonding and mate guarding".

I also didn't see anything specifically about feeling "separate, with dampened emotional responses and more “sensible” or “reasonable” behavior.". There was evidence for enhancement of encoding male facial expression and sexual cues, as well as negative response to neutral facial expressions. The only part that came close to asserting that was: "AVP increases cooperative behavior in men in response to a cooperative gesture in a social experiment "

As for "Depressed people also have higher vasopressin.". It does say in the (11)Conclusion that:

"Both the animal and human studies suggest that AVP is involved in the development of depression and anxiety disorders"

And in (10)Stress:

"There is already evidence that male PTSD patients have high plasma AVP, aggression, depression and anxiety levels "

So that apparently stands true.

Anyway, maybe I missed something or there are other sources from which he drew those conclusions?

Also, If I'm correct so far, then based on your source this would be a more accurate assertion:

"It makes NON-HUMAN males possessive, controlling, and highly emotionally receptive to actions that can take his mate away, such as his partner associating with other males without him. It binds males to be emotionally bonded with their partner so that they will stick with them through difficult situations such as pregnancy for the benefit of the offspring."

Note that i'm not asserting that humans don't or can't feel like that, but just that while hormones have some influence, it is nowhere as deterministic as it is in non-human animal behavior.

I'm guessing you got tripped up on the word "worried"... how about "emotionally receptive" like I used earlier in my post?
What would be the difference in practical terms? I'm still not "receptive" to many of those traits you claimed males always are.