- Ren'Py/Python coder

Employment Type:
-Paid

Work commitment:
- Long term, Part time

Preferred method of contact:
- Discord

Job Description:
- I'm looking for a Renpy game creator interested in working on completely overhauling the coding and gameplay aspect of Man's Best Friend

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
This is a game I very much enjoyed, and I'd be interested in doing some coding work for it. You do say overhaul of the code base, what are you looking to add/do differently here?

AdultKing

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
join my server i've added "Potential Coder" roles to the people that are interested

AdultKing

Game Developer
May 29, 2017
This is a game I very much enjoyed, and I'd be interested in doing some coding work for it. You do say overhaul of the code base, what are you looking to add/do differently here?
Sorry for the late reply but I was thinking of having some sort of gameplay like Milfy City so you can wander around the house and do quest

Night Mirror

Modder
Jun 2, 2018
Sorry for the late reply but I was thinking of having some sort of gameplay like Milfy City so you can wander around the house and do quest
I think I'll pass on this project then. I have a personal dislike of "sandbox" mechanics in visual novels, which would severely inhibit my ability to give it my all while working on this.

I will say go the route you think is going to work best for your game, but ask what wandering around adds to the to the player experience. What is the interesting gameplay element the player will engage with, and wants to engage with, while clicking from room-to-room, or searching for hidden item. Will players be frustrated trying to find the next story click, or will they enjoy exploring and finding hidden secrets? Will those moments be as much, or more, fun than the story scenes? And if there's an update that brakes saves, and players need to replay the whole game, are they going to want to re-explore again?

For some context, I literally just spent six months ripping out a sandbox while remaking a Unity game in Ren'py: https://f95zone.to/threads/rick-and-morty-another-way-home-r2-0-night-mirror.79138/. The majority of people who have commented on it, seem to be glad the "sandbox" part of the game is gone. While the Unity game's sandbox wasn't the best implementation I've ever seen, it also wasn't that different than most. It was a fun novelty the first time you did it, but quickly became a tedious chore.

Again, I'm bias against sandboxes in visual novels. I don't think open ended exploration and plot driven story can work together. So, I might just be seeing only confirmations when I read posts, but I've seen very few comments for any game where players say they like wandering around to find the story.

I wish you the best, and hope you continue to make excellent games! Whatever path you decide to take I'll still give it a play in the future.

NightTrain

May 27, 2017
I personally enjoy a good sandbox game, but there's got to be enough "going on", with many roughly-equal-length parallel paths in the story. If by "sandbox" you mean "here are 30 locations, if you click on the right one something will happen to move the story forward, and if you don't nothing will happen and you'll have to click on another location and hope for the best", then no. There's no strategy, no thinking, just luck and aimless clicking until something happens. It gets boring after a while. But straight-on visual novels can get boring pretty quickly too, particularly if the story isn't amazing.

The best sandbox games are not visual novels, but contain many different stories, that don't need to be completed in a given order. They player can play them in the order they prefer (and ideally, play them all in one playthrough, without have to replay to entire game just to gain access to one or two new scenes). And, the game must have a good, built-in hint system, giving the player some indication of what they're expected to do next. As a game developer, you know exactly what the player should do next, but as a player, that is sometimes not clear at all. Ideally, the hint system should be two-leveled, with a basic hint of something like "I should go spy on the neighbor", with a more-detailed hint of something like "Raise stat X higher than Y, and then visit the neighbor's back yard at 21:00 on a Tuesday", just in case the basic hint isn't enough for the player. Remember that there are a lot of good games out there, and if a player is unable to make any progress, they aren't necessarily going to ask anyone for help, they'll just play something else. Games should be fun, and far too many games stop being fun after spending 5 hours and making absolutely no progress, and having no idea what you're doing wrong. People want to hear your story, but everyone has a different level of patience.

If you're still looking for a programmer, I suggest you check out my Family Life Ren'Py Remake. Don't bother downloading the extra event packs, just the base game. In particular, check out the "thread board" in the game, and the other options available in the cheat menu. Note that this doesn't have the basic-level hint system, just the detailed one, since this was just a remake of an existing game and I didn't have the time to write thousands of basic hints all at once. But by turning off and on the location highlighting, the player can play the game either as a sandbox game or a visual novel, depending on their preferences (and they can change their preferences whenever they want). If this style of UI is something you're looking for, I can help set this up for MBF. Once the framework is set up, it's pretty easy to add new content (easy in terms of programming, still nearly impossible in terms of rendering and coming up with a story).

Reactions: injust7712

CrayonTips

Jan 14, 2019
Hello I am potentially interested as well, though I don't know how much you're willing to pay - I'd be willing to do some work if only for the experience.