VN Ren'Py Mary Goes to Summer School [Ch.1 v0.3a] [DimS40]

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote

DimS40

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Played right through from the start today, a little rough around the edges but developing well.
One thing that almost had me close it at the start is the jittering opening screen, is that just me or intentional? If it's intentional it really isn't pleasant to look at.

View attachment 3509218
it happens occasionally. It's a Ren'py bug I can't figure out. Normally the start screen has just a slight animation when you move your mouse.

Reactions: nastyfkr

nastyfkr

Feb 1, 2024
it happens occasionally. It's a Ren'py bug I can't figure out. Normally the start screen has just a slight animation when you move your mouse.
Is it possible to add a check box in the preferences to disable opening screen animation?

DimS40

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I like the concept / UI but I wish there wasn't sci-fi creature/monster :/
The monster is only part of the story. There will be many other sex scenes with humans partners male or female according to Mary's preferences.

Prysma

Apr 6, 2022
I press Z and it does the animation but nothing happens then, if I release it it says it wasn't supposed to release yet.

DimS40

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I press Z and it does the animation but nothing happens then, if I release it it says it wasn't supposed to release yet.
You should repeat it and keep it pressed until it says you're done. There is a timer there for how long you have to keep it up.

Reactions: Prysma

fjwelfje

Jul 14, 2020
I like the concept / UI but I wish there wasn't sci-fi creature/monster :/
I dunno, I thought that at first too, but it increases defiance, which is decreased by punishment. Maybe you stop being able to disobey with too low a defiance, and get railroaded or stuck unable to do things that would get you in trouble you need to get into. I like the idea of keeping mc between a rock and a naughty tentacle monster.

Reactions: DimS40

DimS40

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
I dunno, I thought that at first too, but it increases defiance, which is decreased by punishment. Maybe you stop being able to disobey with too low a defiance, and get railroaded or stuck unable to do things that would get you in trouble you need to get into. I like the idea of keeping mc between a rock and a naughty tentacle monster.
Also note that like irl not all monsters look like monsters on the outside.... (y)

Reactions: Arikania

KittenBlack

Apr 14, 2024
Hey just started playing so not sure if this changes later on, but why let us dress her when you force us to put on everything? Is it just for sake of tutorial or are you planning to add additional clothing choices later? To clarify at the time of posting I'm at first instance of the wardrobe feature before she goes to meet her farther. EDIT* Also the necklace is little fucky to align .

Last edited:

KittenBlack

Apr 14, 2024
So I finished the current version. I have some thoughts and questions. Don't worry about responding if you can't be assed, I just posted because considering them may help you improve your game.

Why sandbox? Why did you choose to make the game a sandbox? During my playthrough I didn't go off script. I just went where the character was expected to be. Dose choosing otherwise lead to different outcomes situations? Will there at any point be more than a short list of things that could occur? While I note at the time of comment you haven't added the sandbox tag it did feel sandboxy. I also understand why you may be reluctant to add it many people won't even try your game because its a sandbox. I understand their sentiment having played a few and am yet to find one that was really good. That is to say the sandbox element rarely benefits the experience and more often than not just serves to bury the actual story content in an infuriating maze. For this reason I would advice considering critically if or not the sandbox element is actually needed.

Affinity. I assume this metric is used to determine the characters sexuality in three states Straight Bisexual and Lesbian which I found a bit curious. Like dose the amount of instances where she demonstrates an attraction to females diminish her attraction to men? Is the story about which sex she ends up preferring? You might consider this aspect differently for example. Likes men or not? Likes women or not? If the only thing it determines is if she enjoys sexual situations men and/or woman. Dose the degree of affinity for men and women matter? and are the interests mutually exclusive? Perhaps they should be separate variables. In example male affinity determining how far she is willing to go with a male sexually and female affinity for how far she will go with women. I ask because I observed during my playthrough the transition from the male sign to the bisexual sign to the female sign and presume it will be some kind of mechanic. I achieved this by choosing options that increased her female affinity exclusively during my playthrough, although it wasn't because I didn't want to see her get dicked on the contrary It would of been nice to see her get some cock, to play a more bisexual character. However security guy didn't really appeal to me and the male in bdsm photo looked like it could be her dad. Not judging or anything just wasn't really feeling anything sexual for the dad character. Also you may consider if her interest in a particular interaction is purely circumstantial or not. For example dose she just like being spanked or being spanked by Sandy.

I found eldritch tentacle thingy pretty cool was not expecting that and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't notice if the nautical looking metal flap hole things the tentacles came out of existed in the real world. Perhaps the character could check when questions if her dream was real or not.

Casting or character models. Personally I found them ok. Peoples impressions are going to differ regardless of which models you choose. However I did find their affect a little confusing. The main character a somewhat what attractive brat not necessarily a stunner but pretty good looking. Couldn't really tell if that was what you were going for. She looks a little bit older than she acts and seeing as during play you accrue relationship points with multiple character you may consider choosing a more attractive model assuming she is going to have many admirers. Anna or Annie or what ever her name was pretty cute and probably your best choice in terms of affect the character looked how she acted. Lin Lana 'The nice one from the beach' was pretty good too. Looked like a nice modest girl friendly toward the character. 'Bitch from the beach' got the bitch look down pat although wasn't sure if she's supposed to be a 'hot bitch'. Looked age appropriate like could be old enough to be a teacher/member of staff but mistakeable for a student. Sandy Sandra looked like a jaded former hottie to me. You may consider nudging her one way or the other in terms of looks depending on if you want the main character to be drawn to her or repelled by her. Security douche guy was really meh. Just looked like a generic dude should really consider if you want him to be a hot asshole, Ugly sleaze, lecherous or whatever his looks could really do with some personality. Wasn't a great example to determine her interest in men. Opinions will differ of course so maybe the solution would be simple adding more male staff security etc.

Gameplay wise I'm thinking this game probably just isn't for me. People with a submission kink might actually enjoy performing tedious tasks like holding z dressing the character a specific or limited number of ways to progress but personally I found it annoying.

Overall don't think I'll be actively following this one. I'm not confident it will be my thing although was really curious about the tentacle horror aspect. Hopefully I'll stumble on it in future and be surprised by how cool it turned out. Game has a lot of potential in concept at least. Best of luck with your development.

Regards Kit.

KittenBlack

Apr 14, 2024
The character has to do that because it is annoying, embarassing even.
I think that mirroriing that in a game mechanism is actually very clever.
If I could code that I would totally steal the idea.
Yeah I figured that latter, was peeved at that point but I see how it would suit some people.

Reactions: DimS40

DimS40

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
So I finished the current version. I have some thoughts and questions. Don't worry about responding if you can't be assed, I just posted because considering them may help you improve your game.

Why sandbox? Why did you choose to make the game a sandbox? During my playthrough I didn't go off script. I just went where the character was expected to be. Dose choosing otherwise lead to different outcomes situations? Will there at any point be more than a short list of things that could occur? While I note at the time of comment you haven't added the sandbox tag it did feel sandboxy. I also understand why you may be reluctant to add it many people won't even try your game because its a sandbox. I understand their sentiment having played a few and am yet to find one that was really good. That is to say the sandbox element rarely benefits the experience and more often than not just serves to bury the actual story content in an infuriating maze. For this reason I would advice considering critically if or not the sandbox element is actually needed.

Affinity. I assume this metric is used to determine the characters sexuality in three states Straight Bisexual and Lesbian which I found a bit curious. Like dose the amount of instances where she demonstrates an attraction to females diminish her attraction to men? Is the story about which sex she ends up preferring? You might consider this aspect differently for example. Likes men or not? Likes women or not? If the only thing it determines is if she enjoys sexual situations men and/or woman. Dose the degree of affinity for men and women matter? and are the interests mutually exclusive? Perhaps they should be separate variables. In example male affinity determining how far she is willing to go with a male sexually and female affinity for how far she will go with women. I ask because I observed during my playthrough the transition from the male sign to the bisexual sign to the female sign and presume it will be some kind of mechanic. I achieved this by choosing options that increased her female affinity exclusively during my playthrough, although it wasn't because I didn't want to see her get dicked on the contrary It would of been nice to see her get some cock, to play a more bisexual character. However security guy didn't really appeal to me and the male in bdsm photo looked like it could be her dad. Not judging or anything just wasn't really feeling anything sexual for the dad character. Also you may consider if her interest in a particular interaction is purely circumstantial or not. For example dose she just like being spanked or being spanked by Sandy.

I found eldritch tentacle thingy pretty cool was not expecting that and was pleasantly surprised. I didn't notice if the nautical looking metal flap hole things the tentacles came out of existed in the real world. Perhaps the character could check when questions if her dream was real or not.

Casting or character models. Personally I found them ok. Peoples impressions are going to differ regardless of which models you choose. However I did find their affect a little confusing. The main character a somewhat what attractive brat not necessarily a stunner but pretty good looking. Couldn't really tell if that was what you were going for. She looks a little bit older than she acts and seeing as during play you accrue relationship points with multiple character you may consider choosing a more attractive model assuming she is going to have many admirers. Anna or Annie or what ever her name was pretty cute and probably your best choice in terms of affect the character looked how she acted. Lin Lana 'The nice one from the beach' was pretty good too. Looked like a nice modest girl friendly toward the character. 'Bitch from the beach' got the bitch look down pat although wasn't sure if she's supposed to be a 'hot bitch'. Looked age appropriate like could be old enough to be a teacher/member of staff but mistakeable for a student. Sandy Sandra looked like a jaded former hottie to me. You may consider nudging her one way or the other in terms of looks depending on if you want the main character to be drawn to her or repelled by her. Security douche guy was really meh. Just looked like a generic dude should really consider if you want him to be a hot asshole, Ugly sleaze, lecherous or whatever his looks could really do with some personality. Wasn't a great example to determine her interest in men. Opinions will differ of course so maybe the solution would be simple adding more male staff security etc.

Gameplay wise I'm thinking this game probably just isn't for me. People with a submission kink might actually enjoy performing tedious tasks like holding z dressing the character a specific or limited number of ways to progress but personally I found it annoying.

Overall don't think I'll be actively following this one. I'm not confident it will be my thing although was really curious about the tentacle horror aspect. Hopefully I'll stumble on it in future and be surprised by how cool it turned out. Game has a lot of potential in concept at least. Best of luck with your development.

Regards Kit.
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing to play my game even at a such early stage.
I also have to thank you for taking the time to write such a complete report on how you liked it.
And now let me answer to some of your concerns.
1. I want to create something between a sandbox and a vn. I want the player to have some freedom of movement but not having to do tedious repeating tasks to raise stats in the proccess.
2. We are only a few days along in terms of the story so I think it's early to give yet full control of where Mary is willing to go and how much is she willing to deviate from the imposed dress code of that place. Later on things will change.
3. Male affinity and female affinity are indeed separate variables and I only coded negative values a couple of times. My intend in the long run is to let the player push Mary towards her sexual orientation. Staight - Bi - Lesbian
4. The other main variable is defiance. As we progress through the story that will make Mary either a Sub or A Dom.
5. Of course all these will affect the events the player will be able to see in any specific playthrough. Even this early I have a variation in the events based on Mary's choices and later on there will even more.
6. Models... that's always a matter of ,personal choice I guess... I like Mary more than Annie and all in all I tried to avoid going overboard with bombshell women or overwheight sleezy men. I opted for an average to cute/pretty look.
7. The Z button is there because I want the player to have this sort of interaction with the game. For me these mechanics make it all feel more like playing an actual game than just reading a story. Still I didn't want to make anything very complicated so I limited myself to a few select types of interactions plus with a limited use of an inventory system.
8. The whole wardrobe mechanics is kind a kink of mine :) (dress - undress a pretty girl ) and as I already stated above the player will have a lot of freedom and more clothing to choose from later in the game.
9. As for the tentacle entity... that's a part of the story that I don't want to fully reveal just yet.

4.00 star(s) 1 Vote