Blue Otter Games

Game Developer
Aug 12, 2020

Antera

Nov 19, 2017
So I started playing game because someone recommended me for good story. After playing 30 Min I am having hard time to follow dialogues. Half of them sound gibrish to me. I am not native speaker but I read most of stuff on English.. whole dialogues reads weird and kinda inside joke, where us foreigners don't understand a shit..

Am I only one who has this problem ?

Reactions: NukaCola

Lady Booth

Dec 23, 2021
So I started playing game because someone recommended me for good story. After playing 30 Min I am having hard time to follow dialogues. Half of them sound gibrish to me. I am not native speaker but I read most of stuff on English.. whole dialogues reads weird and kinda inside joke, where us foreigners don't understand a shit..

If you’re not a native English speaker, you will at times struggle with the dialogue and understand it as the devs intended. That’s absolutely fine. You aren’t the first and I’m certain you won’t be the last. A one star review is pretty ugly though for something that isn’t really the issue of the developers.

Antera

Nov 19, 2017
If you’re not a native English speaker, you will at times struggle with the dialogue and understand it as the devs intended. That’s absolutely fine. You aren’t the first and I’m certain you won’t be the last. A one star review is pretty ugly though for something that isn’t really the issue of the developers.
Well that's issue for some players, when half of the dialogue feels like MTL.. For those in Anglo spare it might not be problem and easy to follow but for rest its pain

• Angry
Reactions: Osamabeenfappin

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Well that's issue for some players, when half of the dialogue feels like MTL.. For those in Anglo spare it might not be problem and easy to follow but for rest its pain
If you can't follow the dialogue or aren't getting (inside) jokes that's on you, not the developers. You either need to better your English or brush up on your pop culture knowledge. And no, I'm no native speaker either. Also, instead of dropping a one-star review based on the allegedly overdone humor, you could add something constructive… :eek: …like suggesting the developers add a Simplified English version (by way of a translation). But why actually try helping this so called 'rest' that's oh so struggling with the Otters' writing, eh? Well done you.

Antera

Nov 19, 2017
If you can't follow the dialogue or aren't getting (inside) jokes that's on you, not the developers. You either need to better your English or brush up on your pop culture knowledge. And no, I'm no native speaker either. Also, instead of dropping a one-star review based on the allegedly overdone humor, you could add something constructive… :eek: …like suggesting the developers add a Simplified English version (by way of a translation). But why actually try helping this so called 'rest' that's oh so struggling with the Otters' writing, eh? Well done you.
My point stands, its not my job to do research on pop culture to understand basics of dialogue. Specially when its overdone. If developer ever does "Translation" for us poor folks who can better understand simplified version of English, Then I would gladly change rating :coffee:

3shotko

Mar 19, 2021
My point stands, its not my job to do research on pop culture to understand basics of dialogue. Specially when its overdone. If developer ever does "Translation" for us poor folks who can better understand simplified version of English, Then I would gladly change rating :coffee:
It's not inside jokes you're necessarily missing, but idioms or phrases that mean different things to more proficient or native speakers. You simply can't translate idioms easily from any language to another. As someone who's trilingual, you just have to individually learn all of the idioms/unique phrases of each language if you want to understand them. That's seriously not a dev problem. It's only a problem in reverse if the dev is not a native speaker and can't translate an idiom from their language to english. This may be the first time on these boards where I've seen someone complain the english is too good lol. So much better than broken english with basic sentences.

Blue Otter Games

Game Developer
Aug 12, 2020
You tickle our little Otter hearts pink, thank you for replying to that so we don't have to! That, my dear friends, is another idiom.

If others can't read the Before You Play section, that's on them. We literally tell you that this brand of humor might sound weird in spots. It's supposed to be and we are never changing it.

If you read the other reviews, those are the ones we care about. Yes, the three stars to the four stars to the five stars. Because while they are critical, they aren't obscure and wildy biased.

Good thing Otters are so happy!

We're going to go swim now! Thanks for being a splashy good friend!

Last edited:

Yuri L

Apr 28, 2017
So I finally got the time to play the game and I'm very surprised by how funny it is!! Anyway, I reached the second part and there's one observation I had. The other characters keep commenting on the MC being a dick but the thing is that he really isn't that big of an ass. It's one thing for us the player to feel it but it's more that everyone else is telling the MC that he's a dick rather than us perceiving it. Rather at some points it was more like a few characters were being dicks to the MC instead.

Understandably, MC has a chip on his shoulder about the injury and some of his sarcastic responses are harmless and a coping mechanism really. So only thing I have to say is that I'd like less for the other characters themselves to call the MC a dick. He's a much better written character than many other protagonists.

The unseen

Apr 2, 2022
Beautiful models .. Good animations .. Story is going well . The only bad thing about is how long it takes for a update .. of course Quality and Quantity both are good and I wish you good luck dev (y)

Reactions: Blue Otter Games

The unseen

Apr 2, 2022
Well I need help .. Looks like I'm kinda blind and can't find all otter hunt photos , Can someone help and tell me where should I look?

NukaCola

Engaged Member
Jul 1, 2017

I do have to agree with you. Though I don't think it's that bad. I'm not a native English speaker either but I can understand most things just fine. Sure, there is a lot of inside jokes, slang and American culture reference. Sometimes there is jokes or references I don't get but I do know that they're joking so I just like uh-huh, whatever and go on with the story.
I did play and watched plenty of western games and movies/ tv show so I'm familiar with many jokes, figure of speech...etc but I can see for foreigner who only learn English at school it can be quite confusing.

Reactions: Blue Otter Games

Crese1967895

Mar 10, 2020
That rock climbing place would've been sued to high hell(Unless they have a contract that says they aren't liable for injury). First a rock comes off, and then they have the nails exposed! What a shit company.

The game's good so far though, good job otter. Unfortunately, seeing those nails go into the MC's knee gave me some phantom pains and now I can't sit still.

Old Man Al

Jan 18, 2022
Because no one else seems to do it:

Ello Otters!
We hope you're having a great swim in the Otter Pool! We have been very, very busy here getting everything otterly optimal for further Chapter production.
Chapter 2 (v0.2.2) is fully written and coded. We are simply using it as training for the newest Otters. We are aiming for the first week of May for getting it to you to play!
Now an update for Chapter 3! It is 90% written and edited with that 10% being fluid based on things we may think of to add while floating in the water.
Programming is in full swing as well! About 35% of it is programmed right now with about 20% being implemented each week.
Design is in queue for our artist Otter. Once we are finished with v0.2.2, he will design the new scenes and we then concentrate on posing and rendering, which would be about a 2 month thing.
With how big Chapter 3 is, we are actually quite far along on building her. We have a few really big Otter rewards coming up though! We think your whiskers are going to be tickling with excitement.
Splish-splash!

-The Otter Team

4.30 star(s) 67 Votes