Memoirs of a Battle Brothel [Brothel Sim RPG]

Tyranicon

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2019
TLDR; It’s like Battle Brothers but with hookers in a cyberpunk setting. Also relationships, character building, skill checks, animated waifu humping, lots of moddable guns/battleaxes, long ass story, big hub locations, diplomacy, brothel-base building, kickass synthwave music, permanent trauma statuses, classes and subclasses, and deep stats-based stuff for people who are into that like a fetish.

Shorter TLDR; It’s battle hookers man.

Hi all, I'm currently building a lewd RPG with expansive game elements beyond just sex. What sets this RPG apart from all the other cyberpunk stuff come out in the near future? You build, upgrade and manage a brothel in between the street fights, corporate espionage and even the occasional SCP Foundation-esque side mission.

Here’s a long wall of text covering features and stuff. Ask me anything and I’ll try to respond.

Fastest way to reach me is discord:
Obligatory Patreon link because I need money:

[PNG]-Characterlogo8.png

Memoirs of a Battle Brothel is a narrative-driven, tactical turn-based RPG with mechanics inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics and D&D 5e. Players assume the role of a Facilitator, an associate of the Courtesan’s Guild that provides much-needed services for guild members, including lodging and upkeep of facilities that attracts a wealthy clientele.
Of course, in the cyberpunk setting of MoonFall, even luxuries are often undercut with the threat of violence. Whether it’s pressure from one of the ruling crime syndicates, disgruntled nobles or even a blood contract from a private military company, the Guild finds itself beset on all sides, sometimes even from within. In order to maintain its political standing and position in the MoonFall underworld, the Guild must occasionally meet force with force, and while its members are much more renowned for their other... talents, the Guild has retained a formidable martial reputation since its founding.

Features:
  • Build your own character from a variety of different backgrounds and with unique goals.
  • Assemble a party of companions to assist you in and out of combat.
  • Create unique character builds with four different classes and eight subclasses.
  • Turn-based, tactical grid combat using the Memory Combat System.
  • Build your dream establishment by adding and upgrading facilities, hiring staff, and taking on contracts from courtesans.
  • Maintain diplomatic ties to the other major factions of MoonFall, affecting how they behave and react towards you later in the game.
  • Choice and Consequences - your decisions will be taken into account, and there will be a reckoning, one way or the other.
  • Form relationships with your companions! Your actions will impact how they view you, and whether a romance is in the cards.
  • Adult content
  • Side quests that aren’t copy and pasted
  • A vast city to explore
  • Optional hard mode (Trauma system)
  • Projected 20+ hour main story
  • Various ways to resolve encounters
  • Skill checks!
Weapons, armor, upgrades and modifications:

gun screen.gif I'm not sure why she needs to be posing when selling guns, but it's a WIP.
Kit out your characters in any way you wish with a vast number of weapons and armor. Further enhance your character with body modifications and upgrades, as well as customizing equipment with attachments. You want to add a grappling hook to your guns that pull in enemies and then sets them on fire? Or armor that lets your run faster and blends in with the environment? We’ve got that.

Choose your character and background:
Write your own story by choosing a background for your character. Are you a former syndicate thug who lucked into obtaining a Facilitator Writ and now dreams of riches? Maybe a former courtesan now living the easy life of retirement. Perhaps even a young spire noble and this is the first step towards starting a merchant empire. Make your mark on MoonFall, for good or ill.
Backgrounds available:
  • Spire noble
  • Former courtesan
  • Grifter
  • Street thug
  • Shaper
  • Corp floater
  • Mercenary
  • Nobody
Recruit interesting companions:

In MoonFall, everybody needs someone to watch their back. Facilitators are no different. Your companions will come from the ranks of the Courtesan’s Guild, and perhaps a few aspirants too. Choose your party well, these will be the people pulling you out of the gunfire, and getting drunk with you, in equal measure. Each companion has a history and character-related quest line, and if you play your cards right, they might just ignore the Guild’s rule against fraternizing with facilitators. If you try real hard, you might even be able to talk a few of your companions into a romance at the same time. Courtesans aren’t known for their monogamous ways.

Four main storylines:

Why have one main storyline when you can have four? How you end these main quests will determine the future of MoonFall, and of the Guild.

The Iron Cartel

The Iron Cartel’s smuggling of the drug Narsum into MoonFall has made it wealthy beyond imagining, potentially allowing the Cartel to push the other crime syndicates out of the city entirely. But they will not go quietly. These syndicates have contracted with Stormbreaker Securities, the largest private military company in the world, to topple their leading competitor.

The Guild Shadow War

The Courtesan’s Guild is no stranger to violence, and despite the gentler aspects of their calling, Guild members are often skilled fighters. So when conflict within the guild cannot be solved with politics, it is solved by blood. MoonFall will see the young Progressives face off against the old guard Traditionalists for the future of the Guild.

The Bloody Hawk of the Spire

Somebody, or something, has been tearing through the wealthy Spire district in a series of brutal murders. A vigilante organization, the Old Watch, has mobilized to catch the perpetrator, but whether they want to execute them or recruit them is anyone’s guess.

Prelude to the Singularity

The road to the singularity starts here. The mysterious and covert Travelers Mandate has old ties with the Courtesan’s Guild, and they are now calling in favors owed.

Build the best bordello complex in town:

Build gif.gif

The main function of a Facilitator is to host courtesans in an establishment worthy of their notice. This means venues that attract the wealthy. The player starts off with limited resources, but as they progress through the game, they can build and upgrade the high-class facilities that courtesans require.
  • Hire employees
  • Contract with courtesans
  • Build and upgrade facilities such as restaurants, bars, night clubs, spas, theaters, arcades and more!
Explore the island city-state of MoonFall:

MoonFall is a sprawling city with a population of 20 million. Anything that can be sold or bartered will be found here, from the poverty-stricken slums of the Old Quarter to the gleaming towers of the Spire. Syndicate turf wars, corporate espionage, and the machinations of the nobility are all a part of life here, and players will have a chance to experience it across five expansive zones.
  • Old Quarter (slums, old watch)
  • Garden District (middle class)
  • The Spire (high class, Guild HQ)
  • Commercial District (base of Stormbreakers, corps)
  • The Knife (Coastal area, base of the Iron Cartel)
20 levels of character customization:

dianacharactertest.png
Please excuse the mobile-esque look of the menu placeholders. I'm raising money so I can get better stuff.
  • Upgrade both combat and social stats as characters gain experience
  • Gain unique class-based skills and features
  • Become an invincible juggernaut in battle and a sauve-talking socialite
combat gif.gif
Music:
Mostly Synthwave from artists like Isidor.

Inspiration
This project is inspired by old isometric RPGs such as the Baldur’s Gate series and Planescape: Torment, albeit with a NSFW twist. My goals for this project is to offer an immersive RPG with strong narrative and characters, as well as solid combat and gameplay mechanics. Want to know more about the mechanics? Feel free to ask me here or on discord.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Sounds great. Hope it turns out good. I'm normally not a fan of RPGM stuff but for this type of game it probably makes sense.

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
This post is to offer support by increasing the post count. May it attract more attention to this thread and the game itself.

Zachy

Spark Of Life
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
May 6, 2017
luks gud.

I dunno why, but I think I've seen those tilesets somewhere (??) are they made by yourself? I really like your art-style, good luck with your project.

Tyranicon

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2019
Sounds great. Hope it turns out good. I'm normally not a fan of RPGM stuff but for this type of game it probably makes sense.
I originally started with Ren'py, then I wanted more gameplay so I moved to RPGM. Of course, then I decided I hated what comes in the base package and pumped it full of plugins and custom code. :D

luks gud.

I dunno why, but I think I've seen those tilesets somewhere (??) are they made by yourself? I really like your art-style, good luck with your project.
I would say ~60% of the non-anime sprites comes from prepackaged assets by an artist named Vexed Enigma. The rest are custom.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Zachy

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
That's very impressive. I thought it reminds me of rpgm, but it looked too advanced. I guess you can achieve a lot with a little bit of custom coding :) Too bad most rpgm devs care little to put extra effort into their games and gives a bad name to the rest :)

Reactions: LeFapman

Tyranicon

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2019
That's very impressive. I thought it reminds me of rpgm, but it looked too advanced. I guess you can achieve a lot with a little bit of custom coding :) Too bad most rpgm devs care little to put extra effort into their games and gives a bad name to the rest :)
It's really smart on their end honestly, cause they're not wasting time making battle systems or coding. Not bashing The Last Sovereign or anything, but it has default menus and RTP stuff because the dev knows their audience doesn't care about that.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
I'm talking more about jap female protagonist games using the default assets and story. They're all the same, lazily made games. I still can't figure out why commercial games can't spend 5-15$ on at least custom tiles or sounds.

Reactions: LeFapman

Tyranicon

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2019
They're all the same, lazily made games. I still can't figure out why commercial games can't spend 5-15$ on at least custom tiles or sounds.
I dunno either. Then again, I overspent on art before for a game and it still looks like shit, so hell if I know.

Tyranicon

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2019
Currently conflicted over whether I want the animated sex scenes to be standard VN h-scenes (animated flat sprites):

19627948.gif

Or actual animations (will be pixel-art style) like:

19686911.gif

Or some kind of combination. Thoughts?

Xanado

May 9, 2018
This looks great! Hope production goes well for you, I'm definetly keeping an eye on this one.

Reactions: Tyranicon

Tyranicon

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2019
Devlog: You’ve heard of dialogue trees, but what about sex trees?

We’re well on our way to a demo. The bulk of my dev time is split between four things: creating/editing assets, writing content, generating maps and nailing down gameplay systems. Of these, altering assets to fit the new 3D perspective is by far the most tedious, but also has the clearest indication of progress.

Another headache is creating maps suited for 3D and isometric, which means that the old school of map design I have been using is thrown out the window as there are now blind spots and other interesting quirks of 3D that don’t exist in 2D. But it’s rather fun to see maps come alive outside of a two-dimensional plane.

I’m currently finishing up about 10 maps for the demo area (1 guild hall, 1 underrail station, 1 city hub, the brothel levels themselves and several small stores/interior locations). The dialogue for the first two days is also finished, with various different interactions with characters based on the backgrounds or classes the player has chosen. Despite being a demo and early in the game, there are several skill checks based on the player’s Charisma, Perception, Technology or Athletics attributes.

But I’m sure some of that is relatively boring if you are more interested in the sexual aspects of the game. Sex in Memoirs plays out as an interactive, animated cutscene in which the player is presented with various options according to their tastes. It’s similar to something like The Last Sovereign in that it’s text heavy, but it’s also accompanied by visuals. At this point, I will be using a mixture of animated 2D sprites (like you would find in most VNs) along with high-quality pixel art-ish animations. I intend on choosing one style over the other, depending on player feedback.

Some other random facts about sex in Memoirs of a Battle Brothel:
  • There is expected to be 9 companions in the game. Sex with these characters will be more detailed with unique animations and artwork (and will have more than one scenario each). Players can also have flings with other, minor characters but these scenes will be less detailed.
  • Despite being courtesans, players will not have the option to have sex with most companions right away (thanks to some pesky guild bylaws regarding sex between co-workers). The player will need to build trust with characters before the option is unlocked.
  • However, some companions will be more than glad to jump your bones as soon as you can find a stable surface.
  • Sex has an effect on gameplay and narrative. Having sex with any particular character will change how others view you, for good or bad. Having sex with multiple characters in the same playthrough could result in any number of situations. Some characters will become jealous and possessive, others will feel betrayed, and some may even invite you and your other sex partners into their bed. Courtesans may be professionals, but they still have their own preferences.

fidless

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2018
Devlog: You’ve heard of dialogue trees, but what about sex trees?

We’re well on our way to a demo. The bulk of my dev time is split between four things: creating/editing assets, writing content, generating maps and nailing down gameplay systems. Of these, altering assets to fit the new 3D perspective is by far the most tedious, but also has the clearest indication of progress.

Another headache is creating maps suited for 3D and isometric, which means that the old school of map design I have been using is thrown out the window as there are now blind spots and other interesting quirks of 3D that don’t exist in 2D. But it’s rather fun to see maps come alive outside of a two-dimensional plane.

I’m currently finishing up about 10 maps for the demo area (1 guild hall, 1 underrail station, 1 city hub, the brothel levels themselves and several small stores/interior locations). The dialogue for the first two days is also finished, with various different interactions with characters based on the backgrounds or classes the player has chosen. Despite being a demo and early in the game, there are several skill checks based on the player’s Charisma, Perception, Technology or Athletics attributes.

But I’m sure some of that is relatively boring if you are more interested in the sexual aspects of the game. Sex in Memoirs plays out as an interactive, animated cutscene in which the player is presented with various options according to their tastes. It’s similar to something like The Last Sovereign in that it’s text heavy, but it’s also accompanied by visuals. At this point, I will be using a mixture of animated 2D sprites (like you would find in most VNs) along with high-quality pixel art-ish animations. I intend on choosing one style over the other, depending on player feedback.

Some other random facts about sex in Memoirs of a Battle Brothel:
  • There is expected to be 9 companions in the game. Sex with these characters will be more detailed with unique animations and artwork (and will have more than one scenario each). Players can also have flings with other, minor characters but these scenes will be less detailed.
  • Despite being courtesans, players will not have the option to have sex with most companions right away (thanks to some pesky guild bylaws regarding sex between co-workers). The player will need to build trust with characters before the option is unlocked.
  • However, some companions will be more than glad to jump your bones as soon as you can find a stable surface.
  • Sex has an effect on gameplay and narrative. Having sex with any particular character will change how others view you, for good or bad. Having sex with multiple characters in the same playthrough could result in any number of situations. Some characters will become jealous and possessive, others will feel betrayed, and some may even invite you and your other sex partners into their bed. Courtesans may be professionals, but they still have their own preferences.
How's the performance of this 3D thing? Making a good looking 1280x720 game with parallax mapping resulting in very poor performance. Unplayable on lower-end laptops. I can imagine you would need a decent PC to play 3D? At least low-end gaming desktop pc with i3 and some low-mid GPU for smooth no trouble 60fps?

Tyranicon

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2019
How's the performance of this 3D thing? Making a good looking 1280x720 game with parallax mapping resulting in very poor performance. Unplayable on lower-end laptops. I can imagine you would need a decent PC to play 3D? At least low-end gaming desktop pc with i3 and some low-mid GPU for smooth no trouble 60fps?
It runs very well on lower end machines (I'm myself using a crappy Dell Inspiron 15 5000 test laptop and getting stable 60 FPS). The problem actually isn't the 3D or the sex scenes, but the combat itself as sometimes the AI can be a hog. I'm going to see if I can optimize it a little better, but keep in mind I'm not a professional-level coder.

Tyranicon

Game Developer
Nov 12, 2019
Demo sneak peek: screenshot dump

Just some screenshots from the Patreon demo to be released at the end of January, which will be available to my patrons at the $5 tier and above. Please consider supporting me so development can go quicker. Patreon link here: .

It's an Alpha demo, so it'll be rough around the edges, but I'm excited for feedback.

MoBB Screenshot025.png

MoBB Screenshot028.png

MoBB Screenshot022.png
MoBB Screenshot017.png
MoBB Screenshot027.png