Midnight Paradise [Lewdlab] Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadgar

Jun 2, 2017
Here, guys, it's good that I knew about where to look.

Development Update #46 - March 12, 2018
Hey everyone!
Today is the 46th dev update and it's March 12.
Exactly one year ago today I uploaded the first episode of Dreams of Desire and launched this patreon page.
I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a Sunday evening and I pushed the button to go live with the page and I waited a bit, then I went to sleep.
The next day I was watching as all the people came and I read the first comments and posts about the game. It was a feeling I'll never forget, I was overwhelmed with the great response and reception for the game. A truly life changing day for me. I know a lot of you are still here from Day 1 and I'd like to thank all of you for the continous support. We've had some bumps along the road towards the end of last year with the new patreon guidelines and such, but we persevered and you stayed and kept me going. And look at how far we've come!
Now I don't have too much to tell you about Episode 11 you don't already know, without spoiling the surprises.
So I thought I'd give you guys a few hints about the next project.
First of all, calling it "the next project" has been so lame with all the cool codenames these days, so I'll be refering to it as Project Eden for now, until I'm ready to release the game's title.
So with Eden I'll be moving to a different engine. DoD runs on the Ren'py engine, which is great for visual novel type games like mine and has a lot of functionality and overall a pretty solid engine. It was good to use it as a beginner. It also has some drawbacks compared to some other engines. With that said, Eden will be running on the Unity engine. This will make it easier for a whole team to work on the project seamlessly at the same time and save a lot of hassle with builds. It will also be easier to export to different platforms and tons of other improvements. This will also mean there won't be a need to download the whole game everytime there's a new release and a lot of quality of life improvements and it will make it possible for me to create some more advanced gameplay mechanics.
Unity will also be more suitable for a bigger and more complex, sandbox type game. That was the main reason for switching.
Eden is still in pre-production, I'm finalizing some details and luckily I have great ideas every day to add to the pile of features and content it will have. Creating the first prototype will begin immediately after Episode 11's release.
Speaking of release. It will be later in the month, I think I can probably tell you some more next week. I'll make sure that it will be worth the wait.
And as always, thank you everyone so much for all your support!
-Dr Sin

quinfax

Jun 4, 2018

Yeah well, not gonna tell too much about this one. Be sure to check out the other 2 images below.
I'll be ramping up the number of posts from now.
See you in the next one

(i guess this is the new model for lil sis?)
I like the new lil sister model. Especially the nose stud.

I'll admit i did also like the asian sis model to. I hope @Lewdlab (Dr.Sin) will use the model somewhere else in his game. Hate to see all that work and then not get used.

Either way good job. Can't wait to see a preview of this game.

Excelsior

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
With that said, Eden will be running on the Unity engine.
Unity will also be more suitable for a bigger and more complex, sandbox type game. That was the main reason for switching.
Unity is ok, if dev knows what he is doing. The question is, if he will go into full 3D like The Twist (in my opinion unlikely) or keep VN style like Man of the House, Timestamps, Unconditional Love and other Unity games (more likely).

Unity somehow still has a problem to support all three platforms (Win, Mac and Linux), which is way better with Ren'py. Using Unity's build-in videoplayer and a native Windows version of the game, will make the animation unplayable on Mac and Linux via Wine. There are only two option to avoid this: publishing the game for all three platforms at once or using a third-party plugin as video player (like AVPro) for the native Windows version. Latest would be supported by Wine, and Mac and Linux users could play the game this way.

This also means, that an user port to Android (like for DoD) is no longer possible! (only if Lewdlab officially decide to compile one for Android!)

The question now is, how much will an engine switch affect the numbers of his/their patrons? Will they rise or decline? Unity games are pretty fragile and needs some good hardware to be able to run on a the highest settings. Further not everyone is able to afford a high-end computer. Ren'py on the other hand was playable on old computers and was easy to support other platforms like Mac, Linux and Android. Also if the game is not well optimized, it will increase in size very quickly without even having any content in it.

Midnight Paradise's v0.1 is coming out on December 20th.
4 days left! :love:

Reactions: Hadgar and DJsona

sarge87

Apr 27, 2017
4 days left! :love:
Yeah, about that ...

- Development time for a game like this with no prior experience in this type is through the roof. I want to make it right, so there's constant experimentation -> redesign -> experiment cycle. The first release has to set up a ton of stuff, but after that it will be a smooth ride till the end. I hope everyone can understand that. I'm starting to not take Dec 20 for granted, we'll see. Guess I'll die working.

Dec 8, 2018
I like the new lil sister model. Especially the nose stud.

I'll admit i did also like the asian sis model to. I hope @Lewdlab (Dr.Sin) will use the model somewhere else in his game. Hate to see all that work and then not get used.

Either way good job. Can't wait to see a preview of this game.

Excelsior
if u look at her face closely she does not look asian at all.

Riswan

Jul 29, 2018
I really hope the old lil sister model will be in the game, don't really like the new lil sister model.

sarge87

Apr 27, 2017
I really hope the old lil sister model will be in the game, don't really like the new lil sister model.
Don't count on it. Like most of us here, Dr Sin didn't like her either and thus created a much superior bombshell with the new blonde lil sis.

- Second character def looks asian. I didn't notice at first (tunnelvision) I wasn't happy with her anyways, you're getting a new one.

Riswan

Jul 29, 2018
I'm sure you will be able to find the "old sis" at an old nursery home.
With "old lil sister" i meant the lil sister that looks asian. Sorry english is not main language.

Don't count on it. Like most of us here, Dr Sin didn't like her either and thus created a much superior bombshell with the new blonde lil sis.
Its a shame to trow it in the garbage bin.
Still hope he wil use her as the lil sisters friend or someone else in the game.

Marzapane

May 17, 2018
I know 20th of december could not be the release day :( So, does anyone have guesses for another release date? If yes what are your guesses based upon?

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
With "old lil sister" i meant the lil sister that looks asian. Sorry english is not main language.

Its a shame to trow it in the garbage bin.
Still hope he wil use her as the lil sisters friend or someone else in the game.
Nah it really is not a shame, since she looked like she was 40 and was supposed to be the little sister. If anything she could be the friends mother, but she was still pretty ugly so I dont see the point, really.

The blonde is a massive improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.