MMD discussion/sharing

rawr32

Apr 12, 2019
This is a long shot but does anyone have any of Terrasucre's works? His youtube channel got blown up a long time ago and he had a lot of great Nami/Hinata mmd stuff.

Fried_Squid

Dec 7, 2019
I started making MMD myself now.
made a vertical (mobile view) version for now, will do horizontal too.

Lo Chan - Me!Me!Me!

what do you guys think? what should I try next?
ps.: mega download with 2k 60fps is in the description for anyone who wants it.
As a preface most of my experience with animation comes from Flash animations I've done for a game company, but the same principles still apply to any form of animation.

I know you didn't do the motion yourself, but there's things that definitely need improvement in that department. 2D animation has some major differences compared to 3D motion, particularly in the framerate department. A lot of animation is done in 24-30 frames. While it's perfectly doable to make a 2D animation in 60 fps that's a lot of extra work for little benefit. The brain is usually able to fill in the gaps in 24-30 fps while still appearing relatively smooth. When converting motion from 2D to 3D you have to keep in mind that while you can make things in a silky smooth 60 fps, you have to fill in the gaps now. When actual human bodies and limbs move they typically don't move at a constant velocity. The speed during certain parts of an action changes whether it be lifting your arm, getting up from a chair, swinging a sword. If we use lifting the arm as an example, the action starts relatively quick, but towards the end of the motion the arm slows down. This is natural for most people as it prevents us from overshooting our "goal" which would be where we want our arm to stop. That's an example of a fast -> slow movement. If you're swinging something with weight like a sword, the action tends to be slow -> fast. Strength is being exerted to a much greater degree and slowing down in the middle of a swing isn't something you want in a fight. The important thing to take away from this is that natural motion rarely moves at a constant speed. When something moves at a perfectly consistent speed, when it moves too quickly, too suddenly, it comes off as robotic and unnatural.

Maybe making original motions isn't something you're into and I totally understand. It's not easy and is an entire discipline you could spend a lifetime on just for a 2 minute animation someone will glance at, then forget for the rest of their lives. But if your goal is to make quality videos, especially hentai oriented ones with people doing people things, it might be worth learning a little bit of animation basics. I hope you keep at it and improve with more experiences. And if you ever feel discouraged from a harsh comment, know that there's at least a dozen other people who enjoy what you do. Something I've had to learn from my own work.

mizukinsk

Jul 18, 2020
is there anyway to find videos of a user who deleted all of their videos and had their name changed? i know mmdfan but seem like its useless without the proper author name

Fried_Squid

Dec 7, 2019
Good camera work and lighting but the camera seems to go a bit too fast. Slow pans would work better imo
Camera work isn't something I'm too familiar with, but I definitely felt that it wrenched the viewer around too much. Something like a gut punching rollercoaster. Maybe referencing other MMD animators might be a good place to learn camera work? Hell, even normal movies to learn what parts of the action to focus on.

kakate404

Jun 20, 2023
As a preface most of my experience with animation comes from Flash animations I've done for a game company, but the same principles still apply to any form of animation.

I know you didn't do the motion yourself, but there's things that definitely need improvement in that department. 2D animation has some major differences compared to 3D motion, particularly in the framerate department. A lot of animation is done in 24-30 frames. While it's perfectly doable to make a 2D animation in 60 fps that's a lot of extra work for little benefit. The brain is usually able to fill in the gaps in 24-30 fps while still appearing relatively smooth. When converting motion from 2D to 3D you have to keep in mind that while you can make things in a silky smooth 60 fps, you have to fill in the gaps now. When actual human bodies and limbs move they typically don't move at a constant velocity. The speed during certain parts of an action changes whether it be lifting your arm, getting up from a chair, swinging a sword. If we use lifting the arm as an example, the action starts relatively quick, but towards the end of the motion the arm slows down. This is natural for most people as it prevents us from overshooting our "goal" which would be where we want our arm to stop. That's an example of a fast -> slow movement. If you're swinging something with weight like a sword, the action tends to be slow -> fast. Strength is being exerted to a much greater degree and slowing down in the middle of a swing isn't something you want in a fight. The important thing to take away from this is that natural motion rarely moves at a constant speed. When something moves at a perfectly consistent speed, when it moves too quickly, too suddenly, it comes off as robotic and unnatural.

Maybe making original motions isn't something you're into and I totally understand. It's not easy and is an entire discipline you could spend a lifetime on just for a 2 minute animation someone will glance at, then forget for the rest of their lives. But if your goal is to make quality videos, especially hentai oriented ones with people doing people things, it might be worth learning a little bit of animation basics. I hope you keep at it and improve with more experiences. And if you ever feel discouraged from a harsh comment, know that there's at least a dozen other people who enjoy what you do. Something I've had to learn from my own work.
thank you very much for the very detailed feedback. I‘m actually trying to make motion myself. Its nice to have importable motion for the beginning, so I can get used to everything and try around with lighting, shaders etc, but while I‘m doing that, I‘m also tracing motion in a different project. Just takes a lot more time. For now I spend around 5 hours on that project, with a 2 second clip as result

Reactions: Fried_Squid

Fried_Squid

Dec 7, 2019
thank you very much for the very detailed feedback. I‘m actually trying to make motion myself. Its nice to have importable motion for the beginning, so I can get used to everything and try around with lighting, shaders etc, but while I‘m doing that, I‘m also tracing motion in a different project. Just takes a lot more time. For now I spend around 5 hours on that project, with a 2 second clip as result
Animation do be like that sometimes. I look forwards to what you make.

wasd123333

Jun 27, 2017
Hey guys I was wondering how fantia structures their videos. If I buy a month subscription towards a mmd artist, do I have to pay for all their other months just to get those videos? I thought once I buy their sub, I have access to all their videos I ever made?

Fried_Squid

Dec 7, 2019
Hey guys I was wondering how fantia structures their videos. If I buy a month subscription towards a mmd artist, do I have to pay for all their other months just to get those videos? I thought once I buy their sub, I have access to all their videos I ever made?
It might depend on what settings the producer places on their subscription. I know at least one I used to subscribe to had it set where getting the sub unlocked all items from previous months, but a different producer set it so you can only get the items for that particular month. If you wanted to get previous videos and stuff you had to pay for all the previous ones. Either that or buy the bundles they sometimes put out that has videos from several months and stuff. Basically it depends, translate the page and make sure the subscription is what you want.

Reactions: wasd123333

Larcx

Nov 6, 2018
That really depend on the Author
Some Author give you access to all his/her videos
Some , put them on the BackNumber thing

So if you were not able to access the video you want
You go to BackNumber , and then purchase it again