Most annoying or hated gamemechanics

Jul 11, 2017
As others have stated already, the illusion of choice is a pretty common one, and can often become really aggravating. I actually think this is one extension of a larger, more complex issue with the way these VNs tend to be developed and the typical lack of sophistication with their branching paths/stories and choices, that are often too nebulous, too binary and limiting, and too unsupported by the game/narrative so much so that you'll have to follow an out of game guide just to be able to access content that shouldn't be that complicated to access.

Last edited:

zuulan

Oct 12, 2020
As others have stated already, the illusion of choice is a pretty common one, and can often become really aggravating. I actually think this is one extension of a larger, more complex issue with the way these VNs tend to be developed and the typical lack of sophistication with their branching paths/stories and choices, that are often too nebulous, too, binary and limiting, and too unsupported by the game/narrative so much so that you'll have to follow an out of game guide just to be able to access content that shouldn't be that complicated to access.
too be honest i think it has something to do with developer's intellectual capabilities. In highschool we had class on "progress description" it was an important pre coding class. and every one had to make progress tree with atlest 200 variables, and most people made it really simple to just pass. Few made complex and even difficult to read non computer eye. In grade wise it didnt matters alot. But in another class what was called computer logic, those who made a simple version, totally failed. So sad to say but i believe most developers are intellectually incapable to make branched storys and choices so they keep it simple.

Jul 11, 2017
too be honest i think it has something to do with developer's intellectual capabilities. In highschool we had class on "progress description" it was an important pre coding class. and every one had to make progress tree with atlest 200 variables, and most people made it really simple to just pass. Few made complex and even difficult to read non computer eye. In grade wise it didnt matters alot. But in another class what was called computer logic, those who made a simple version, totally failed. So sad to say but i believe most developers are intellectually incapable to make branched storys and choices so they keep it simple.
That's probably true. It's usually not difficult to immediately notice developer laziness just from the quality of renders or animations. It's usually quite easy to spot which developers are just loading up prepackaged assets and hitting the render button, and which developers are going the extra mile to fine tune their character designs, adjust lighting, get the most out of camera angles and depth of field, etc. Overall there are many more lazy developers than there developers with a developed artistry and craft. So, it would follow that this kind of laziness would also extend to other aspects of the game as well, like its coding and writing.

Like anything else, the bad tends to outnumber the good.

Deleted member 1017199

Nov 17, 2018
Unnecessary button hold prompts. I don't appreciate being given time to think about if I really want to pick up that apple.

Playing another cutscene after skipping the cutscene before that. I just don't fkcng it why make it like that.

nulnil

May 18, 2021
The worst mechanic has got to be pointless sex. I'd say in 60-80% of adult games, sex has almost no effect on the gameplay, or is just there to flavor losing. You could rip it out via modding and you could probably convince your friend that it's a normal game.

There's also when developers have no concept of giving players choice. Option A is the tough, hard way that often involves RNG. Option B opens up a side quest that is much easier. Why even give me a choice if option B is just the correct one? Even the oldest games knew that a player should be given multiple ways to solve a problem.

Not a mechanic but: False Gameplay. There's nothing more annyoing than being promised a game, then getting some visual novel minigame BS that has barebone mechanics at best. Do some people just not understand depth of game mechanics? Then there's games that have gameplay, but could care less. It's the reverse of the developer with no artistic skill, they both have only half the means. At least the coder has some ambition to make a game, and can find ways to make it fun.

zuulan

Oct 12, 2020
The worst mechanic has got to be pointless sex. I'd say in 60-80% of adult games, sex has almost no effect on the gameplay, or is just there to flavor losing. You could rip it out via modding and you could probably convince your friend that it's a normal game.
I totally agree, with that pointless, sex idea. Maybe on different reasons but still. Why Should player be interested to hund down all those lasses or repeat monotone sex with LI. Its just pointless and no motivating. Thought add some modifers to motivate him. Like too long without sex couses frustration modifer and Sex gives some positive mood modifer, or if there is some superpowers includes then sex might increase power or charge some power energy. Or if you dont have sex with LI for too long your relationship states to fall apart. But there realy should meaning and motivation to do those things

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
Trigger hunting:
The act of hunting for a trigger to continue the story.
Also know as fake gameplay.
Trigger hunting is evil because it doesnt add to the game and just drag's it out.
You know stuff like: Talk to her on these days, in these clothes and say these things.
The stuff you need a guide to find.

A good game give's you the rules and lets you exploit them for your gain.
A bad games have you do boring meaningless task to future the story.
For example:
Lab rats 2 you have a lot of stats to manage.
But none of the events require me to go look for them.
And the biggest part of the game is drugging people into changing them.
Likewise superpowered for all its flaws doesnt require you to hunt for triggers.
They just happen as you play the game normaly.
Where in corruption you can not corrupt half the characters unless you are in location a, with corruption c and character d under your control.
It becomes a heavy case of guide dammit.
And if i need a guide to play your game.
It means you fucked up.
A player shoud never need a guide to play a game.

Reactions: Hagatagar

Guineafowl

Jun 17, 2019
Specifically for erotic games the lack of an auto function to go through text is something that's always a nuisance. It's gotten to the point that I've tried using autoclicking software, to limited success, just to auto scroll through text for me. There's often a skip button but I read visual novels a lot and I like having the text move naturally without having to click every ten seconds so I can read comfortably and immerse.

I have two hands, they're just busy :)

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
Specifically for erotic games the lack of an auto function to go through text is something that's always a nuisance. It's gotten to the point that I've tried using autoclicking software, to limited success, just to auto scroll through text for me. There's often a skip button but I read visual novels a lot and I like having the text move naturally without having to click every ten seconds so I can read comfortably and immerse.

I have two hands, they're just busy :)
Most Ren'py titles have an auto function, along with an auto-speed setting, in my experience. Dunno about other engines, though.

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
Sandbox elements, as implemented by 95% of the games here that do so.

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
Having too many branches from choices, dont get me wrong a game with replayability is good but when complete paths get closed off and theres too many it can make you miss out on tons of content unless you replayed the game multiple times and change your choices multiple times throughout