VN - Ren'Py - My Bully Is My Lover [Ch1 Ep3 Part 2] [NiiChan]

1. 5.00 star(s)

KCNC11

This game is a fucking masterpiece. The story, the plot, the characters, are amazing. It's a bit confusing at times especially since there are characters that weren't really introduced so I assume that the entire game is part of an extended universe type of situation, but the story more than makes up for it. The build-up and pacing is awesome, I have never been more blown away by a game like this before. This made me cry more than once and I love it. I love this game. To any of you reading this. DO NOT HESITATE TO PLAY THIS GAME!!!! THIS IS ABSOLUTE CLASS!!!
  2. 3.00 star(s)

Sadsapling

I honestly didn't know where the plot was going for the first 3 hours of this game. Sometimes, the game's plot simmers in a nice hotpot of cute and fun moments. Then, suddenly, it decides to slingshot you back into the main plot OR it takes a long ass break to tell you the entire backstory of a character that has been only mentioned in name for over 2 chapters.

9 love interests is way too much, in my opinion. The entirety of the "prologue", which is over 7 episodes, focuses primarily on 3 girls. There's Aine - your bully, Gwen - this delinquent girl you hung out with, and Emma - your childhood friend. The 6 other girls aren't really main girls, in my eyes. Hell, your "sister", Sky, doesn't get any scenes for over 7-8 episodes. I was going insane at how little content she even had. Freya is just the token playful loli character. Klara is just your mom - and it's like she's mostly on business ventures half the time, so she's barely characterized other than being the sole active connection to the dev's other game, Sicae. Moon has potential as an interesting character, but it's rarely capitalized upon. Naomi is just your damn repairwoman, so she doesn't even make sense in context of the plot. Finally, Lily is literally just there. They introduce her so damn early, but she is barely ever involved with the plot besides being your coworker.

By the time you catch up to current updates, there will only be a substantial amount of sex scenes for like 2-3 girls. There are like 10 episodes total. 7 for the prologue, and 3 for chapter 1. Total time reading through everything (light skimming here and there for me) will be like probably 9-10 hours.

Everything I love about the game: Renders are good, MC doesn't look awful, girls look really cute, animations are great, sound effects are there, music can be extremely corny sometimes.

The story can be super dull or annoying at some points. I started out really liking it. Now, I only half-like it. The mafia family plot stuff is pretty good, but it takes a back seat so often to what's the equivalent to a shitload of filler. MC sounds and acts like a real moron sometimes. The appeal is there for an anime MC, since the dev is adamant on how anime-like the story wants to be. But I just found some things he does so illogical and scummy.

I really question why the dev didn't just focus on literally the three main girls of the game (at least judging by how much content/screentime is dedicated to them???): Aine, Gwen, Emma. It's super confusing at times, because Aine gets her backstory passed by word of mouth early on, but no real flashback episode, like what the dev does with all the other girls. The game is literally called "My Bully Is My Lover".

That being said, I do think Aine, Gwen, and Emma are the peak of this game's story. Especially Emma's story with the MC - to the point that you can even have an ending with her alone. When any of those three are on screen, this game feels a little bit more bearable. Other than that, you have 6 pretty bland or dull characters that don't have enough characterization to validate feeling much during their more emotional moments.

Overall it's a solid 3. As much as I complained in this review, I love a lot of parts in the game. It's just the game is so spread thin when it comes to characterization and plot significance. You can pull this number of love interests off, other games have proven it. But if you don't involve them into the main plot and give the more significance, they literally become nothing characters who just exist in the background and will make no sense in the long-term. The game wants to be a deep underlying mafia family drama, but the story rarely moves and it just suffers from pointlessly introducing and connecting characters from another game.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

Kaitou123

10/10
    i not really good at English but after playing this game i have to write a review for it. The story emotional that make me cried at ep 5, the characters also interesting and unique that i love every single one of them (i love Sky and Gwen most).
  4. 5.00 star(s)

VanLin1337

Underrated.

The story along with the girls is written at the highest level. The narrative is smooth and not boring. The main character's problems are made intriguing.

Emma's story is peak

10/10 must play
  5. 5.00 star(s)

Lew D

Imust say I was reluctant to start this VN , boy was I wrong .

I got to world of adult VN approx 1 year ago so in last year I played near 100 of them
    this one is certainly on top 5%

maybe not as emotional as My new Family or Lep of Faith but still very good.
    And the story itself is very fresh and original, not like many others that just recycle usual stereotypes.
    Maybe retrospective parts are too detailed for my taste.
    But I understand that it is Author's way to say a story and I respect that and maybe at the end I will acquire a taste for it.
    Some reviewers find fault with "cheese and corny" but is real life real without "cheese and corny" ? I don't think so.
    So at the end I have to prise NiiChans work
    I can't wait for future updates !!!
  6. 5.00 star(s)

hotdogBD

honestly i dont know how can someone rate this story anything less then 5stars, i actually cried more than i came, if you can believe that. what a masterpiece. hope this get the proper ending it deserves.
  7. 1.00 star(s)

neophyticdiamond

As someone who has just started dipping their toes into the AVN genre, I have seen MBiML recommended in a plethora of forum posts and threads, which built up my expectations for it tremendously. Imagine my surprise when the first hour of this game was one of the worst hours I had spent playing an AVN - so much so that I felt compelled to write my first ever review. Full disclaimer: I've only played the first 3 chapters of this game, so maybe it gets better later, but I for one could not be assed to stick around to find out, because it's not the plot or pacing that put me off, it's the atrocious writing.

Unlike other AVNs that are notorious for being poorly written to the point of being intentionally bad, MBiML's writing is touted as its strong suit, which completely befuddles me. MBiML's MC is written to be someone who struggles with a difficult past who ultimately moves on from it to help the girls that he encounters - that is to say, a good guy you should root for and empathise with. I honestly could not do that because of how off-putting he is.

The first issue I have is with this scene: in his first sex scene with Gwen, it happens because she falls asleep in his arms hugging him front to front, which arouses him and causes him to take out his penis. She's obviously shocked when she wakes up, and he says she has to 'take responsibility' for it, which she does (and they bang). What responsibility? This is essentially sexual harassment, but the game frames it as though it is the woman's fault. I'm not opposed to and can enjoy games that include questionable content (like rape), but I don't like it when the narrative reshapes it to justify the perpetrators actions or even absolve them from blame, especially if the MC is someone you are meant to root for.

I also dislike the way the MC speaks and 'helps' the girls he encounters. The way he speaks is reminiscent of older (bad) TV shows where the men in it try to 'help' or 'educate' in a patronising and condescending manner. There is a scene in the diner he works at in which he 'teaches' the two other girls working there (Lily and Freya?) customer service which I just could not stomach due to how cringy it was. He speaks as if he knows better (which I guess is true in this case), but I abhor the air of superiority he presents his opinions (because they are not facts!!!) with. This is not an isolated incident, just the one that has had the greatest impression on me. I do wonder if it's simply the case that English is not the writer's first language, in which I can concede I have been very harsh about in this point, though my lack of enjoyment will remain unchanged.

All in all, I think I can grind through a boring plot or lacklustre pacing, but the cardinal sin is poor writing, because unlike the other two, writing betrays the innermost thoughts of a writer and provides the strongest connection to how they view a specific interaction, and by extension, specific topics. Again, whereas I would be more understanding and lenient if this game is intended to be satirical, I think it's meant to be the exact opposite. If you're not a stickler for writing, maybe this game does have a good story (as I've been told), but I could not last long enough.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

amandressedlikeabat

Honestly, I have no idea what to make of this one.

I almost ignored this game because of its title, as I assumed that it was about an abusive relationship. Curiosity led me to click on it, and my initial reaction was “an anti-revenge game? About healing? Why the fuck would I want that?” For that very reason, I challenged myself to play it, and I’m glad I did.

As a sex game, it’s good. Not enough first person, but that’s always a complaint of mine. The girls are excellent, well fleshed-out characters, and also hot. Some of the sex scene writing is outstanding.

As an emotional story, it’s a lot of things at once. There are narrative problems, there are some lines that are bad, but overall it’s a well written story...

This is probably the most emotional game I’ve ever played, but not all of it seems good. The characters feel relatable, in a way that cuts me. I don't know if I'm just particularly sensitive right now, but I used a fucking box of tissues, especially in Emma's side ending. And I’m not sure if this has been cathartic or just masochistic, but that’s my problem. I’m honestly not sure if I’m reviewing the game or myself here. (And yes, I am getting professional help, no need to worry.)

It should have started with the week that the protagonist met Aine, at least from his perspective. That is the basis for the whole story, and it should definitely have come first. It took a really long time to even learn that they knew each other a little before he asked her out. And that significantly changes his perspective. Because he had seen the good side of her, as well as the bad, it would substantially color the way he looked back on her between high school and their reconnection.

I want to at least see the full lyrics for “In Your Arms Again.” C’mon.

Also, Sicae lets you name the protagonist in the scene replays, but MBiML doesn’t, which is annoying as fuck.

“Haunted by memories of a girl who made life unbearable, you've journeyed through both literal and metaphorical realms of heaven and hell”
    It wasn’t unbearable, as he kept going back – he literally bore it. And he didn’t journey through literal realms of Heaven and Hell, just the figurative ones.

I’m giving this 5 stars, because I don’t know what the fuck else to do. (How’s that for a review?)
  9. 2.00 star(s)

CrumblePi

[CH 1 EP3 P2] - 4.75/10

Too much, too young, too slow.

THE GOOD

The game's art direction is solid and only improves as time goes on. The biggest jump can be seen in the animations that get progressively more complex, while retaining good camera work and overall smoothness. One of the best in the HS2 sphere.

The character models are detailed and distinctive enough to offer a good variety (with some exceptions - Freya and Moon).

The game's mafia plot line is interesting (when explored), cutting through the somewhat samey slice-of-life parts.

The GUI is nicely customized but still retains enough of the "vanilla" flow that using it isn't a chore.

The music fits the scenes well and improves the overall experience.

THE NEUTRAL

The release schedule is pretty consistent, but with the developer trying to juggle two games at the same time, one of them will get discarded in favor of the other.

The start/prologue is a little too slow, but also worth the build-up - hence the neutral rating.

The game has TONS of content, but I as describe it later, it's a rather double-edged sword.

THE BAD

The roster is simply too big.

There are currently 9 8 LIs, and the game struggles to give everyone enough screen time. Sky, your childhood best friend that occupied most of your time in the prologue, hasn't had a sex scene since the island update (CH 1 EP 1), which was in August of 2022 - even if you're on harem or Sky-exclusive path.

Same goes for Lily, a character that NiiChan has no fucking clue what to do. She appeared early in the game, and as of latest CH 1 EP 3 P2 she's being moved off-screen. And hopefully forever.

Or Emma (since her Solo Ending). Or Klara. Or Freya. (Sorry, but being a bland loli copy of her older sister isn't a particularly alluring personality trait.) Not to mention all the secondary characters that are important to the mafia plot, but aren't LIs.

The game's pacing is terrible.
    With the sheer amount of love interests and other side plot lines, the game progresses incredibly slow with each update. The amount of content is substantial in each release, but it's spread so thin that sometimes the core plot of "I'm being hunted by a powerful mafia, and I need to find out why." takes a back seat until the next update. In other words - if you're not going full harem route, you're left with substantially less content and that sucks.

The writing is headacheingly bad (at times).
    To be clear, the game has a lot of good and organic moments (whether in dialogue or inner monologues), and I gotta give NiiChan credit for that.

The problem is every other moment. All in-game characters are supposed to be in their 20s (except for Freya) or older, but they speak or think like actual children. Importantly, MC is the epitome of the most bland and indecisive "good guy" there is, who despite having a decent sexual experience (and a foot-long dick), acts like a hormone-bursting teenager seeing boobs for the first time. This, unfortunately, gets progressively worse as we get more content, and I'm afraid it won't improve.

The narrator.
    The game LOVES to describe everything we already see, or add so much actual walls of text that it ruins the experience (I, for example, learned that vaginas can expand to accommodate the dick better. Or that deflowering your fiancée makes her act like a nympho on crack...). There is so much unnecessary bullshit and exposition that the grand sex scene with Aine has literally dozens of lines of meaningless descriptors between animation or render changes. I have never before lost a boner mid-scene because bro keeps yapping like a wind-up toy.

There is so, so much more wrong with the game's writing, but I don't want to you bore with examples.

To sum it up - I used to be a fan of MBML (an easy 8/10 back in the day), but as I play more great games and as this production expands, I feel like the developer has no clue how to fix the core issues. And unless something radical happens (e.g. half of your LIs disappear forever), the game will slowly devolve into an overexposed and painfully slow, yet good-looking mess.
  10. 3.00 star(s)

kameohawk

It's usually a bad sign when the dev has to spend the time and effort to render an intro warning the user that the game will go a different way than they may expect. I GET the need, the name of the game will surely lead to some being a bit confused or put off but at the same time it's worrying that dev and fan expectation may not be in line and if it's not at the earliest point.... it's only going to get worse.

It's not a BAD game but it's a game which suffers from the occasional attack of something all players dread, "the stupid". Players will give a dev a lot of leeway but usually you have to get some credit in the bank first. The Dev hammers home the point the game is influenced by anime so perhaps I'm being too critical but I've barely got my foot in the door to this game and I'm very conscious about how stupid the MC is. The whole premise of the game is that the MC got bullied by troop of lassies in school and then got his act together, moved on and bettered himself..... except it's painfully obvious he didn't do all of those things. He talks about moving on but whenever he talks about Aine he still comes off as very simp like. Now I'm not saying he should grow up and be vengeful and hateful at Aine (as he alludes to himself in game).... but perhaps some acceptance of the situation and moving on would be healthy? Instead at times it feels like all he's done is accept they bullied him and forgiven them for doing it. Like... wat? I'm not going to let her boss me about....... but my god she's more beautiful as ever. Take a shower my dude, go ride Sky and just chill a little.

There's also a small issue about Emma's plan. She over plays her hand somewhat. Her plan has to work so they can hide Aine but either Aine's family are so powerful they can make her do whatever they want..... or they're not and as such her plan isn't needed. It can't be both so the main plot is a bit sus.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

Takennn

One of the BEST games I've played on this site. Had me laughing, crying, sad, and happy. The characters are well written, the comedic timing is pretty much spot on, and there is just enough mush and cringe that it makes the emotions feel real instead of a typical collect all the girls harem game.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

HugeBeef

Honestly this game is up there with the Top rated ones, the Rating this game gets is not even close to how high it should be rated, yeah the Start is a bit slow but Trust me sit through it and play the game, its 100% worth it.

Don't make the same mistake as me:
    Like a R-word i thought that the "EP 3" on screen meant it was almost finished and i quit out because i hate cliffhangers, thats SO wrong tho, its just the Prologue and once continued there were HOURS of more content that just gets better and better.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Pros:
    -VERY hot girls, 90% of the time i keep switching my mind about Fav Girl
    -Music even if basic gets the Job done and very fitting
    -Sounds are well-placed
    -The Dialogue feels good to read, almost never had to Skip which is rare
    -Lighting is fitting and does not look like they just threw it in
    -Pacing is good, even if a little slow which i like
    -Sex scenes are hot
    -HUGE amount of content, game is 8 Gigs and it shows
    -No Sandbox (thank god)

Cons:
    -The start is slow, but it gets better and better
    -Some of the girls i don't care about at all (like lily)
    -Honestly not that much Sky content
    -Some girls are just plain annoying sometimes, but it gets better
    -The MC is a bit dense when it comes to girls but once he is cornered by them, he gets the job done ;)

100% Recommend
    Give this game a try, good game and good Dev (Or Devs dont know if solo or not XD)

Good luck Dev :D
  13. 5.00 star(s)

Dexireo

Man this game is so good from story to renders everything is just perfect , people who have been this game for a long long time can really get attached to it and what i really like is their always some curveballs in a good way at the end of every update which maintain the flow of story very well. This is one of those games which is very hard to predict what will happen in the future updates. Thank you good sir for such a masterpiece.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

Stardust435

MY GOD I LOVE THIS. I am so glad i found this. After elternum i was in need of another masterpiece like that. And this is it. All the characters feel so real and sooooooo full of life. I love it. i am sssssssssooooooo glad i played this. I can't wait for more.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

Daave3232

At first..I was very.. meh. I ALMOST decided to not go any further. Then Emma's story hit. And it was like.. a new writer took over. Now, you might not like the story, it may get to convoluted for some. This isn't a simple dating sim. If that's not your thing, its not your thing. However. Since that moment I mentioned above.. I've been glued to the game.

If I was in any position to give advice, Id highly recommend doing some edits to the first few chapters to match the quality of the latest content. Writing wise that is. It was.. very cringe-worthy.
  16. 3.00 star(s)

SentryAl

Graphic Is good. I can't say it's great cause we have really nice games on HS2.
    But man the plot is just idiotic. There no logic, there nothing.
    The whole conspiracy is because people can't say what they need to Sat.
    Characters mostly 20-23 years old behave like they 14.
    Pretty much all girls still virgins somehow.
    Seriously that's like shitty anime about guy who have no guts to stay for himself at least it was the case in the past, but now MC often behave totally like 14 years old.

Seriously, like creator, just change the plot you can have same pictures and make this game great.
    I just can't do it anymore. It's constant facepalm.
  17. 5.00 star(s)

Gachimuchachi

I gotta tell you something. It is perfect. Perfect. Everything. Down to the last minute details. Cannot even say which character is my favorite. They all so "alive" and lovely. I just want to play this game 24/7, be inside this game, talk to girls, just let me be reborn here in my next life, oh almighty god of pixels
  18. 5.00 star(s)

Penis Lord

It's a great game, truly, I prefer adult game that focusing on the story aspect than "Ugabunga Brutal Seggs 24/7".

The starting episode of the game may somewhat cringe and cliché, but don't let that fools you. The plot will get more interesting and addicting the more you play:
    1. The story is not just the journey of the MC to admit the girls to his harem, but it's also the journey for the player to understand the girls, as well as seeing the dynamic/chemistry between them and MC.
    2. Also, we will get to see the grow up of the MC (Mentally), to witness the guy who seek nothing but peace to his life slowly turned into a GigaChad that willing to sacrifice his life for the one he loves.
    I highly recommend giving this game a try if you can. And you know what they always say: "Don't judge a book by its cover".
  19. 1.00 star(s)

Deleted member 1465339

I'm thoroughly convinced that NiiChan must have watched too many Telenovelas and Anime, given the surplus of moments seemingly engineered to tug at the heartstrings. The consequence? An abundance of characters who stubbornly refuse to communicate, like the mother who bizarrely receives praise for concealing her son's identity. It's hard to ignore the fact that straightforward honesty and early preparation could have left him far better equipped for what lies ahead.

Then there's the issue of characters like Moon, sporting the infamous "anime crazy eyes," supposedly signaling trauma and badassery. Yet, her character tends to overshadow the others, asserting an exclusive claim to suffering even calling everyone else's problem "drama". And what about the seemingly pointless characters like Shu, aka the awkward boner? He appears to exist solely for comic relief and as a convenient source of money, leaving me questioning whether he serves any purpose beyond being the butt of a joke. Perhaps it's time to consider adding him to the waifu list (I'm not even into femboys), but no, the developer insists on subjecting him to humiliation.

However, the crux of the matter lies with the protagonist. It's impossible to ignore his indecision regarding whether he wants to lead a normal life or embark on a warpath. Despite choosing the mafia path to solve the mystery surrounding his father, there's a glaring absence of any tangible effort to prepare himself for the impending challenges. Vague plans and a reliance on others, namely the waifus and Shu, to do the heavy lifting make me question whether the dev has a clear overall plan for the story.
  20. 5.00 star(s)

Negrox

I love this game so damn much, harem team forever, and I loved Emma's ending, it was very emotional. Besides, the story is surprisingly good for an adult game; I think it could easily be a recognized story in a comic book publisher or a web novel. You can feel the effort and care the developers put into this wonderful game.