TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
what did you swap out the keycaps for then?
Just various color ways I liked better, it's not even a full swap cause some of the keycaps are weird shapes that 4 years ago I couldn't find good fits for, so it's a real hodgepodge. Like the one on my gaming pc has the textured wasd keycaps from an old corsair board I had cause I got used to those as my wasd. And my favorite color is blue so where able I've swapped in blue caps. I've got super clicky switches on both boards though cause I love me some click.

Reactions: Trope95

Trope95

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Feel free to ignore this if it's too personal, but was it tough to get to the point where you could be open with your family about creating adult content (and letting them play it)?

Just curious. Obviously there are plenty of creatives who have their family test things, I was just curious if there were major differences in this sphere.
It was easy for me. I played a bit with Poser (and a bit of Daz) more than 10 years ago, mainly to do character portraits for the RPG games we played. I've lost most of them, but here you have...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
In 2021 (or perhaps earlier) my stepson discovered Daz AVNs. He played a lot of manga AVNs and tried to get me into them, but I never got the feeling. But he recommended a game to me and that's the story's start! My first game was Sisterly Lust and fell in love with that game.
And that was a problem. The next games I tried weren't at the same level. Every one of them had something I didn't like (sandbox, NTR, having to choose one girl over another, unclear choices, etc.).
Since he was the one recommending the games, we chatted a lot about them. And one day he told me "Why don't you convert one of the stories you wrote into a game? You know how to code and how to do Poser graphics". And that was the spark for My Dorm.
I talked about it with my wife (she loved my little stories) and she chose one after my stepson explained to her the different genres. "This one can become a harem incest game", she said. It was a (non-adult) sci-fi story with clones and a shady company trying to get the protagonists' family farm on a distant moon.
I started re-writing the whole story (several times) on my 49th birthday until it became unrecognizable. Changed the farm for a Dorm, then added NTR not only as the "bad guys" but as the object of desire (instead of the farm) and kept the Dorm. Changed the family tree, etc.
After a couple of weeks, I had a schematic of what the story would look like. Explained it to my wife and stepson and they loved it. Then I needed to re-learn Daz (I'm still in the process), learn how to code in Ren'py (luckily, I got a lot of help from RiamMar when the game was already running), and then I started writing the new story dialogues and rendering.

I can say I couldn't (or wouldn't) do it without my family supporting me. Doing this takes a lot of time My Dorm "stole" from the family time. I even had a (small) marriage crisis because my wife thought (correctly) that I was spending more time with "the dolls" than with her. We adjusted. I still spend more time with "the girls" than with her, but she loves the story and, sometimes, she even pushes me like "Isn't a new scene to test yet?". She and my stepson became the testers. My goddaughter got an alter-ego in the game and also became a tester ("That sentence said by (insert a young girl here) looks like written by a 50 y.o. guy").
I named my "company" (Tropecita Games) after a nickname I use for my wife.

I guess some devs can do this behind their families' backs if they spend little time on it or if they live alone. I spent more than 40 hours doing the gallery on Friday-Sunday last week. I can't (nor want to) hide it.

Sorry for the wall of text.

mintymuz

Apr 8, 2024
It was easy for me. I played a bit with Poser (and a bit of Daz) more than 10 years ago, mainly to do character portraits for the RPG games we played. I've lost most of them, but here you have...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
In 2021 (or perhaps earlier) my stepson discovered Daz AVNs. He played a lot of manga AVNs and tried to get me into them, but I never got the feeling. But he recommended a game to me and that's the story's start! My first game was Sisterly Lust and fell in love with that game.
And that was a problem. The next games I tried weren't at the same level. Every one of them had something I didn't like (sandbox, NTR, having to choose one girl over another, unclear choices, etc.).
Since he was the one recommending the games, we chatted a lot about them. And one day he told me "Why don't you convert one of the stories you wrote into a game? You know how to code and how to do Poser graphics". And that was the spark for My Dorm.
I talked about it with my wife (she loved my little stories) and she chose one after my stepson explained to her the different genres. "This one can become a harem incest game", she said. It was a (non-adult) sci-fi story with clones and a shady company trying to get the protagonists' family farm on a distant moon.
I started re-writing the whole story (several times) on my 49th birthday until it became unrecognizable. Changed the farm for a Dorm, then added NTR not only as the "bad guys" but as the object of desire (instead of the farm) and kept the Dorm. Changed the family tree, etc.
After a couple of weeks, I had a schematic of what the story would look like. Explained it to my wife and stepson and they loved it. Then I needed to re-learn Daz (I'm still in the process), learn how to code in Ren'py (luckily, I got a lot of help from RiamMar when the game was already running), and then I started writing the new story dialogues and rendering.

I can say I couldn't (or wouldn't) do it without my family supporting me. Doing this takes a lot of time My Dorm "stole" from the family time. I even had a (small) marriage crisis because my wife thought (correctly) that I was spending more time with "the dolls" than with her. We adjusted. I still spend more time with "the girls" than with her, but she loves the story and, sometimes, she even pushes me like "Isn't a new scene to test yet?". She and my stepson became the testers. My goddaughter got an alter-ego in the game and also became a tester ("That sentence said by (insert a young girl here) looks like written by a 50 y.o. guy").
I named my "company" (Tropecita Games) after a nickname I use for my wife.

I guess some devs can do this behind their families' backs if they spend little time on it or if they live alone. I spent more than 40 hours doing the gallery on Friday-Sunday last week. I can't (nor want to) hide it.

Sorry for the wall of text.
That's actually really interesting to hear, thanks for the background! My wife and daughter don't know about the games I play (my daughter is too young anyway), but I only play them - it would be impossible to hide if I was actually working on them, so I think it's vital that you have "buy-in" from your family on this (but also keep that "work–life balance").

• Red Heart
Reactions: Trope95
4.00 star(s) 103 Votes