Ren'Py My First Game "The Collector" - In Development

Deleted member 5954819

Beyond Tomorrow
Game Developer
Mar 31, 2023
My first update, the first look of my game. Well I've done few renders with my open scene of my game. I think I found my girls, models and the assets I need. Here is what I got for a moment so far. And I got my story sort of going. I'm still writing it. I made my front cover for it which you can see in my first post.
I don't mean it in a bad way, but you should work a little more on that visual and learn some things, for example, how to work with light. I understand that it's your first project, but that doesn't mean you can't do better. The visual is important, so you need to spend more time on it.

inkdot

Feb 12, 2020
I'll say try emphasize on stockholm syndrome, plant the "to live is not granted, but a favor from the bad guy" thought in the victim.
Psychology can be fascinating from time to time.

samarcus

Jul 3, 2021
Brah make the game as brutal as you want :D (too much is never too much).
Its just a game. No one is being actually hurt.
Unless you're in Australia. Then, cartoon characters with "birthdays" that you abuse apparently makes you Hitler/Stalin reborn and you have to go to prison for virtually raping/torturing/abusing the non-existent "person." You know, because having an outlet in fantasy for all those repressive, dark, and purely evil thoughts means that you will surely go out and do the same thing IRL one day... or that maybe you're already doing it and they need to find your victims that you created game characters about, or whatever BS the authorities come up with to shut things down.

• Haha
Reactions: ♍VoidTraveler

ParkG

Game Developer
May 12, 2021
Hey there! Congrats on starting your passion project and first game!

First of all, the project is quite ambitious. So it's really important to break it down.
Here are my takeaways from your introduction:

It covers a lot of themes:
  • Male dom, corruption, blackmail, submission, obedience, etc
  • Horror elements, lesbian elements
Mechanics:
  • Sandbox, Trainer
Direction:
  • Multiple choices
  • No walkthrough required
Technical things to learn:
  • Rendering with DAZ3D
  • Coding with Renpy

Hmm I think the first problem is that the conflict between making a game with multiple choices, but without requiring walkthroughs. Based on your description, I think you'd better off creating a linear sandbox games, since you're using Renpy. Check out examples like What a Legend. However, it is gameplay-heavy, you might want to switch to other engines like RPGM.

Which brings us to another point: you're gonna to have to put some work into learning the engines and softwares you'll be using. It's also a good idea to have some sort of a rough plot or story premise, instead of creating story as you go. This way, it'll allow you to have some rough ideas on what choices there are to be made in the game.

If you feel overwhelmed but see a lot of potential in your idea, start with something small. Take any of the elements in your game and work on that. For example, make a small trainer demo, or a map with clickable locations, things like that.

That said, I only make VNs but if I were to make a game like yours, this would be my approach.

Good luck with your project!