4.50 star(s) 154 Votes

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
I did have a friend with an allergy to some enzyme common in bell peppers - she could eat hot peppers without a problem, but bells gave her fits. Maybe you have something similar.
Yeah I love Chipotles and anchos Serranos etc oddly I love paprika but something about the prep removes the bitter taste. Jalapeños are meh sometimes they're way too hot and I don't love their flavor but they're not gag me like bell peppers. Habaneros taste good but I can't handle the heat.

For a long time as a kid I thought I hated all peppers cause I didn't like bells and that's what people always give kids. As an adult I figured out they all taste different as well as have different heat levels and have been slowly working on my tolerance for the heat side since.

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Yeah I love Chipotles and anchos Serranos etc oddly I love paprika but something about the prep removes the bitter taste. Jalapeños are meh sometimes they're way too hot and I don't love their flavor but they're not gag me like bell peppers. Habaneros taste good but I can't handle the heat.

For a long time as a kid I thought I hated all peppers cause I didn't like bells and that's what people always give kids. As an adult I figured out they all taste different as well as have different heat levels and have been slowly working on my tolerance for the heat side since.
Not all paprika is made with bell pepper - most of what I see isn't, so that may be a difference in your reaction to some versus others. I like my jalepenos roasted (or chipotle - same pepper, but smoked, as I recall) and the red ones also have a better taste (less chlorophyll flavor).

As for habaneros, my last batch of chili just might put you in the grave (or keep you on the crapper wishing you were dead): I made a chili paste with fresh, roasted habaneros - nothing removed except the stems - and combined with some chipotles, adobo and chili pequines, plus a few other things. ;) My base paste is made with dried/reconstituted chilis of varying flavor and heat profiles, but seeded first. Makes for a medium heat paste - the second paste puts the spurs to it. :devilish:

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Not all paprika is made with bell pepper - most of what I see isn't, so that may be a difference in your reaction to some versus others. I like my jalepenos roasted (or chipotle - same pepper, but smoked, as I recall) and the red ones also have a better taste (less chlorophyll flavor).

As for habaneros, my last batch of chili just might put you in the grave (or keep you on the crapper wishing you were dead): I made a chili paste with fresh, roasted habaneros - nothing removed except the stems - and combined with some chipotles, adobo and chili pequines, plus a few other things. ;) My base paste is made with dried/reconstituted chilis of varying flavor and heat profiles, but seeded first. Makes for a medium heat paste - the second paste puts the spurs to it. :devilish:
I've never had issues with the other end from heat fortunately. And I guess when I looked up what paprika was made from I found the wrong source. I didn't remember Chipotles being jalapeños but yeah the roasting makes them infinitely more palatable to me.

Peppers are a weird plant though and even the same cultivars can taste wildly different batch to batch. Had some jalapeños on a banh mi that were so much hotter than anything I've ever eaten that they had me as a grown 35 (at the time) year old man sprinting across the house to the bathroom while swearing to rinse out my mouth and brush my teeth (no milk or cream available) and was physically in pain for like the next hour.

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
Prosciutto, provolone, tomato, pepper, a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt and vinegar chips.
Don't know if they're around anymore (most of the ones in the Houston area closed), but the Wallstreet Deli used to do a hot corned beef and pastrami on a seeded rye roll with Russian dressing and provolone that I'd add red onion to, and then usually drop in a few of the sea-salt and vinegar chips. One of my favorite deli sandwiches ever.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Turkey, Swiss, Ranch dressing, and sour cream and onion potato chips.

Roast beef, provolone, horseradish sauce, nacho-cheese Doritos.

Many other nice combos, but those are two favorites. :)
Those both sound pretty damn good, and would have been close to things I would have made today ... if not for my doctor-prescribed low-sodium diet ...

• Sad
Reactions: ThorinKing
4.50 star(s) 154 Votes