VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Talmadge

May 7, 2018
Most of the game is first person, but the sex scenes and some of the plot-important conversations will show your character. If you've played Bad Memories it's handled in a similar way.

The one on the computer with B is Intertwined. Off the top of my head, I reference Bare Witness, Harem Highlander (sadly abandoned), My New Family, and Sylphine (marked as abandoned here on F95, though I don't think it is). There's also ton of them in a hidden scene in Chapter Three (finding them unlocks "The Stinger" achievement). I'm probably forgetting a lot.
Intertwined. I knew it looked familiar. And, yes, it is sad that Harem Hilander was abandoned. I was curious, the poster behind B. It said FIVE. Wondered if that was another game or just something you made for this one.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for those others to get that achievement.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Intertwined. I knew it looked familiar. And, yes, it is sad that Harem Hilander was abandoned. I was curious, the poster behind B. It said FIVE. Wondered if that was another game or just something you made for this one.
I'll definitely keep an eye out for those others to get that achievement.
Oh, right! That's for Heavy Five, another game!

Reactions: Talmadge

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Weird. All of my posts concerning food and such are still here but something got bounced as "off topic".:unsure:

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
It did kinda go way off-topic there, I think... though there was a post about Gibson Island and how it was handled in the game that's also been deleted. :(
That's what I think is funny. Posts about haggis and rotten fish were left, but something else (knowing me it WAS off topic :oops:) got taken down.

You're too nice, you let us get away with pretty much anything, so this is more like a hangout than a game thread :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
That's what I think is funny. Posts about haggis and rotten fish were left, but something else (knowing me it WAS off topic :oops:) got taken down.

You're too nice, you let us get away with pretty much anything, so this is more like a hangout than a game thread :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: I'm not a mod, so I couldn't herd y'all if I even wanted to! Though I guess I can imagine that someone new coming to the thread to ask about the game would be super confused by the talk of rotting cheese and Scandanavian nicknames...

But for something that's very much on-topic:

In addition to the upcoming "Ask the Cast" post (keep an eye out on Tuesday), there's going to be something special coming on Sunday; a five-part completely silly story that I want to write because I need something light to write (Chapter Four is going to be a little... heavier).

On Sunday, November 27th I will be posting the first part of "A Mythos Carol". Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. It's going to be five parts, which each being about the same length as the super-short stories I always do, which means the final part will be posted on December 25th! I can't think of anything else significant going on that day, so it should work out.

Last edited:

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Okay, it's finally been long enough since release to discuss the new chapter without worrying about spoilers or people not having played it yet too much. And I totally didn't wait this long because I've been super crazy busy for the last two weeks. Nope. It was totally being exceeding considerate of everyone else. Because I'm awesome like that.

In chapter 3 it's saying I got down and dirty with Sophia when I did not. Some variables have gone awry
This bug keeps coming up and it's only with Sophia and I have no idea why! Such frustration!

I'm going to be maybe fixing this with 3.1, or just removing the Chapter One/Two recaps since they do seem pretty unnecessary, now...
It's an issue in more than just the recaps, though. There's the line in the recap about exploring bodies, but there's also a reference to it in the scene with Sophia and B where they talk about Nelson "letting people finish", and during B's romance scene (where it kind of alludes to having sex with Sophia even if you didn't). So just dropping the recaps wouldn't fix it entirely.

I've mentioned before that I clicked "take the bait and show interest" for Sophia, but then followed it up with "I'm kinda already seeing someone". I've been assuming that the first choice trips Sophia's romance flag to yes, but the second one fails to deactivate it, which is what's causing the problem.

On the other hand, the Lorebook is still describing Sophia as just an "Ally", so not entirely sure exactly what's going on behind the scenes.

As for the recaps... I'd agree that they aren't necessarily necessary at this point if someone is playing straight through without pauses, but they act like story breaks that almost makes the story feel a bit more episodic, and can refresh people on important details, so if I were you I'd probably keep them in anyway. It's not like they're so disruptive that the narrative flow is dramatically improved without them.

Jokes aside though, B is really growing on me. I had Tara down as best girl and was planning their wedding but I think B is deff getting penned in for affair number 1.
I kind of feel a bit different about B every time I see her (which is kind of appropriate for her character, I suppose). Or at least I'm playing it as if my version of the main character feels that way.

Early on I was kind of wary of her, then I was kind of looking at her more platonically, then I actually caved in and slept with her when that scene happened, but now after overhearing the conversation in the diner I'm playing it as if I've kind of engaged IRRATIONAL JEALOUSY MODE and I'm super-suspicious of her again. Which is sort of the same reason why I'm staying surly towards Monica. And it goes hand-in-hand with my early mindset that I never really got over Lisa after we broke up (and I'm super kind of bitter after finding out it was never just a case of her falling out of love with me).

ETA: I'm having fun trying to figure out who (or what) Becki-with-an-i actually is. Heh.
Becki's the only drawback I see with having the supplemental stories in the background told from different characters' points-of-view.

Early on in-game I was hugely suspicious of her. And was going along with the clear implication that we never really got along with her in high school because she was obviously a bit of a bitch. But then reading her backstory makes her waaay more sympathetic. Which makes it harder for me to dislike her in the present. So cognitive dissonance!

Fortunately, Tara's interaction with her early in Chapter 3 kind of recontextualizes her anyway, so it's not as jarring as it could be.

Though I will say one thing about Becki that I missed first time through (and I'm not sure how) - her dog's name is Sitri. Which is the name of one of the Goetic demons from the Key of Solomon. So unless that's a total and complete coincidence (or is Nine being cheeky), she's definitely got more awareness of the supernatural than she's letting on.

And combined with the "my mom was sick but now she's much better" and living on the same island as the queen of vampires, I'm starting to wonder just what sort of deals she might have been making, and with who...

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
It's an issue in more than just the recaps, though. There's the line in the recap about exploring bodies, but there's also a reference to it in the scene with Sophia and B where they talk about Nelson "letting people finish", and during B's romance scene (where it kind of alludes to having sex with Sophia even if you didn't). So just dropping the recaps wouldn't fix it entirely.

I've mentioned before that I clicked "take the bait and show interest" for Sophia, but then followed it up with "I'm kinda already seeing someone". I've been assuming that the first choice trips Sophia's romance flag to yes, but the second one fails to deactivate it, which is what's causing the problem.

On the other hand, the Lorebook is still describing Sophia as just an "Ally", so not entirely sure exactly what's going on behind the scenes.
Someone actually delved into the code and figured this one out, and it was a total bonehead mistake I made. Basically, I had the "bang Sophia" variable set to default to True instead of False. No idea how I got that backwards, nor how it got missed by me and all the testers for two updates.

This means that if the variable wasn't intentionally set to be False by the player, the game assumes you had sex with her; even if you were just friends. The only way to intentionally set the variable to False is if you agree to a relationship, but tell her you don't want to have sex at just that moment (which most people didn't do; if they agree to the relationship, they usually don't mind getting her naked right away).

I've changed the default of the variable to False now, which... hopefully fixes it.

Reactions: Jarulf

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
:ROFLMAO: I'm not a mod, so I couldn't herd y'all if I even wanted to! Though I guess I can imagine that someone new coming to the thread to ask about the game would be super confused by the talk of rotting cheese and Scandanavian nicknames...

But for something that's very much on-topic:

In addition to the upcoming "Ask the Cast" post (keep an eye out on Tuesday), there's going to be something special coming on Sunday; a five-part completely silly story that I want to write because I need something light to write (Chapter Four is going to be a little... heavier).

On Sunday, November 7th I will be posting the first part of "A Mythos Carol". Yes, it's exactly what it sounds like. It's going to be five parts, which each being about the same length as the super-short stories I always do, which means the final part will be posted on December 25th! I can't think of anything else significant going on that day, so it should work out.
Did you hear the squeals of glee from south of you (hundreds of mile away)? One of my favorite stories and one of my favorite stories for parody :love:

The only problem I have is that November 7th was two weeks ago on a Monday. The last time Sunday was on the 7th was last year, and the next time is in 2027. Do we need a time machine, or do we have to wait 5 years? :unsure:

If you are open to suggestions, the 27th is coming up on a Sunday soon........:oops:;):LOL::ROFLMAO:

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Did you hear the squeals of glee from south of you (hundreds of mile away)? One of my favorite stories and one of my favorite stories for parody :love:

The only problem I have is that November 7th was two weeks ago on a Monday. The last time Sunday was on the 7th was last year, and the next time is in 2027. Do we need a time machine, or do we have to wait 5 years? :unsure:

If you are open to suggestions, the 27th is coming up on a Sunday soon........:oops:;):LOL::ROFLMAO:
I don't know what you mean! It says the 27th and it definitely said the 27th this entire time, so I didn't even have to edit the post.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
And now, I feel guilty... thanks ClockworkGnome... I hate you now!
My work here is done! ~leaps out window~

~comes back in through the front door~ Sorry, forgot my car keys.

Well, unless I miss something, the only girl you can call your girlfriend is Tara.
Like someone else mentioned, B and Mara will also be listed as girlfriends in your Lorebook if you romance them. And Sophia apparently.

Rain, on the other hand, shows up as "Consort" if you sleep with her for the ritual.

I do think Tara is the only one who gets literally referred to as your "girlfriend" in dialogue in general. Though the game does go out of its way to emphasize that Mara is potentially looking for a more serious relationship and not just a casual sex thing.

Just had a tought, Cecil mentoned that he at one point was getting it on with a valkyrie(can't remember her name), and since Tara was refered to as the Blood of the valkyrie at Sylvia's party, is/was the valkyrie in question Tara's grandma or one of her other relatives?

And yeah, at that point my immediate reaction was "Well, I guess we just found Tara's grandfather."

Side note, the MC here has goddesses, Fae, and...hmm Mara is clearly something special (come on now, she would stick out like a sore thumb if she wasn't!)
To figure out what Mara is, we probably need to focus on her ability. Which seems to be some sort of ability to nullify other supernaturals' powers. Which probably isn't a common power (otherwise Sylvia wouldn't be so puzzled by the fact that Mara can do it). Originally I suspected she was just something similar to a Beacon - an otherwise normal person with one unique power. But if she is some sort of "Null" or "Static" or "Blank" or whatever else a human dead zone would be called, that would probably be something various supernaturals would already know exists. So she might be a unique case.

Though the name itself might be a clue (it basically means "spirit" - it's the root of "nightmare", and is used for minor goddesses in certain Eastern European languages).

It also means "Bitter" in Hebrew (from the story where Naomi changes her name to Mara when her children die), but since she's got an Irish last name, I'm more inclined to look at the Irish version of Mara rather than the Hebrew (though a particularly clever writer might fuse multiple aspects of the word's various meanings into a single concept).

Yeah, I don't want to suspect ANY of them, well, the principal girls at least :(

I'm afraid if I suspect them then I'll act wrong against someone later and lose her, but mostly I don't want to think badly of any of them :cry:
Clearly, they all did it. Classic Murder on the Orient Express.

Nelson being a Beacon means all the hot supernaturals of Baldymore wanted to make a move, but couldn't because she was in a relationship. So all the events of the game were a bunch of them getting together to kill Lisa and seduce Nelson.

Did you choose every romance option? You've played right into their hands.

Lisa's not the same person since she says that "MC is cheating on her" meaning she has 2 years aprox. of memories lost, might be another soul (or demon) inhabiting the body
Oh, I know. My theory there was that she's some sort of "back up copy" of her created after she'd discovered her powers but before you broke up. Or it's someone screwing with you.

I don't think it's actually her real body either way, though. More some sort of simulacrum.

So... Rin is the cat, right? (or at least the cat is somehow related to her :unsure:)

There's no way that cat is not a person :ROFLMAO:
Something I was kind of surprised was never mentioned in dialogue was when we go to the Convocation and they mention their invitations have disappeared.

The cat clearly stole the invitations from the Convocation and gave one to us. Which means that, whatever it is, it is capable of bypassing the powerful magical wards of the foremost group of wizards around, and wander out with important stuff. Or conversely, it was helped by an inside man (or woman).

While it makes sense that we might not want to mention the cat to anyone there, it feels like we should have at least thought to ourself about it. Possibly contextualizing it with the fact that the cat has ties to Rain.

Of course, there's another possibility...

Yes, definitively the cat!

Always suspect the cat, even more when it's black!
The cat IS Lisa. When her soul was forced out of her body, she channeled it into the cat. She discovered how to do this during her studies of various types of souls, and her killer didn't know enough to notice that she'd "escaped". And she's effectively helping us to solve her own murder.

There's also the possibility that since the body was found at the greenhouse, she didn't just transfer her whole soul, but figured out a way to split her soul into pieces. Part of it went into the cat, part of it went into the plants (the story has gone out of its way to tell us that she was studying animal souls and plant souls as well as vampire ones...).

The Lisa who shows up at the end of the Chapter might be another fragment of some sort, which could explain the partial amnesia...

So, it all dates back to
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
, then?
With the blurring of different mythologies, it's worth keeping in mind that Akhenaten is often described as being the world's first Monotheist, and the inspiration for later faiths like Judaism and the other "Faiths of the Book".

Which could mean that "Aten" is also the God of the Bible (and the Torah, and the Quran, etc). Which also explains why his followers have come to be seen as angels.

I see. It reminds me of what a Sanskrit text says. Ādityā vai sarpāḥ, actually the gods are snakes. What happens on the scene is not what happens behind the scene.
On that subject, it's worth noting that in early Vedic texts (ie, Sanskrit/Hinduism), they mention Devas and Asuras. In Hinduism, the Devas are the good gods while the Asuras are basically the demons... but in Zoroastrianism, the Daevas are evil and the Asuras are good. (For extra funsies, Deva may be the root that eventually lead to the term Devil.)

So in a real world sense, the two religions likely evolved from the same basic origin - as some tribes moved north into Persia they reinterpreted their original beliefs in one way, while other tribes moved south into India and reinterpreted their original beliefs in a different way. Similiar to how the good gods of the Babylonians, Phoenicians, etc became the devils and demons of Judaism and the later faiths that stemmed from it.

But from a mythological standpoint, it makes for a really tasty scenario where there was conflict between two different groups of divine beings, both of whom saw themselves as "The Good Guys", both of whom had followers and supporters among the mortals, and both of whom inspired myths that painted them as the heroes and their rivals as the villains. Even though reality was probably far more complex (and morally ambiguous).

Last edited:

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017

Nelson being a Beacon means all the hot supernaturals of Baldymore wanted to make a move, but couldn't because she was in a relationship. So all the events of the game were a bunch of them getting together to kill Lisa and seduce Nelson.

Little-known trivia: in Agatha Christie's first draft, Poirot fucked everyone on the train.

As for the rest of this post; I'm very, very happy to see it, but I'm not going to say why or which part is making me giddy.

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020

We got into a discussion about Scandinavian history and our relations with each other.

And yeah, at that point my immediate reaction was "Well, I guess we just found Tara's grandfather."
Tara did say that Cecil was the only one at the convocation that was nice to her.

To figure out what Mara is, we probably need to focus on her ability. Which seems to be some sort of ability to nullify other supernaturals' powers. Which probably isn't a common power (otherwise Sylvia wouldn't be so puzzled by the fact that Mara can do it). Originally I suspected she was just something similar to a Beacon - an otherwise normal person with one unique power. But if she is some sort of "Null" or "Static" or "Blank" or whatever else a human dead zone would be called, that would probably be something various supernaturals would already know exists. So she might be a unique case.

Though the name itself might be a clue (it basically means "spirit" - it's the root of "nightmare", and is used for minor goddesses in certain Eastern European languages).

It also means "Bitter" in Hebrew (from the story where Naomi changes her name to Mara when her children die), but since she's got an Irish last name, I'm more inclined to look at the Irish version of Mara rather than the Hebrew (though a particularly clever writer might fuse multiple aspects of the word's various meanings into a single concept).
Mara is clearly a whitout the slience part:LOL:.

The cat IS Lisa. When her soul was forced out of her body, she channeled it into the cat. She discovered how to do this during her studies of various types of souls, and her killer didn't know enough to notice that she'd "escaped".

There's also the possibility that since the body was found at the greenhouse, she didn't just transfer her whole soul, but figured out a way to split her soul into pieces. Part of it went into the cat, part of it went into the plants (the story has gone out of its way to tell us that she was studying animal souls and plant souls as well as vampire ones...).

The Lisa who shows up at the end of the Chapter might be another fragment of some sort, which could explain the partial amnesia...
I support this theory.

• Haha
Reactions: Nine of Swords

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
My work here is done! ~leaps out window~

~comes back in through the front door~ Sorry, forgot my car keys.

Like someone else mentioned, B and Mara will also be listed as girlfriends in your Lorebook if you romance them. And Sophia apparently.

Rain, on the other hand, shows up as "Consort" if you sleep with her for the ritual.

I do think Tara is the only one who gets literally referred to as your "girlfriend" in dialogue in general. Though the game does go out of its way to emphasize that Mara is potentially looking for a more serious relationship and not just a casual sex thing.

Oh, I know. My theory there was that she's some sort of "back up copy" of her created after she'd discovered her powers but before you broke up. Or it's someone screwing with you.

I don't think it's actually her real body either way, though. More some sort of simulacrum.

Something I was kind of surprised was never mentioned in dialogue was when we go to the Convocation and they mention their invitations have disappeared.

The cat clearly stole the invitations from the Convocation and gave one to us. Which means that, whatever it is, it is capable of bypassing the powerful magical wards of the foremost group of wizards around, and wander out with important stuff. Or conversely, it was helped by an inside man (or woman).

While it makes sense that we might not want to mention the cat to anyone there, it feels like we should have at least thought to ourself about it. Possibly contextualizing it with the fact that the cat has ties to Rain.

Of course, there's another possibility...

The cat IS Lisa. When her soul was forced out of her body, she channeled it into the cat. She discovered how to do this during her studies of various types of souls, and her killer didn't know enough to notice that she'd "escaped".

With the blurring of different mythologies, it's worth keeping in mind that Akhenaten is often described as being the world's first Monotheist, and the inspiration for later faiths like Judaism and the other "Faiths of the Book".

Which could mean that "Aten" is also the God of the Bible (and the Torah, and the Quran, etc). Which also explains why his followers have come to be seen as angels.

On that subject, it's worth noting that in early Vedic texts (ie, Sanskrit/Hinduism), they mention Devas and Asuras. In Hinduism, the Devas are the good gods while the Asuras are basically the demons... but in Zoroastrianism, the Daevas are evil and the Asuras are good. (For extra funsies, Deva may be the root that eventually lead to the term Devil.)

So in a real world sense, the two religions likely evolved from the same basic origin - as some tribes moved north into Persia they reinterpreted their original beliefs in one way, while other tribes moved south into India and reinterpreted their original beliefs in a different way. Similiar to how the good gods of the Babylonians, Phoenicians, etc became the devils and demons of Judaism and the later faiths that stemmed from it.

But from a mythological standpoint, it makes for a really tasty scenario where there was conflict between two different groups of divine beings, both of whom saw themselves as "The Good Guys", both of whom had followers and supporters among the mortals, and both of whom inspired myths that painted them as the heroes and their rivals as the villains. Even though reality was probably far more complex (and morally ambiguous).
I will quite gladly play into the hands of these girls...:love:

Speaking of Becki with an I ... I have a thought on her.

She totally has it bad for Kylie.

She either has a crush or she really loves cheesy college costume drama's. No way does a girl with no interest turn up and watch every single play Kylie is in without getting damp in the pants.
Yeah, I was thinking something similar. I think she took out the "competition" to clear a path. I wouldn't be surprised if she tries to kill Tara as well. She's in for a big furry werewolf surprise if she tries that!

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes