VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Okay, I also have a question. If I buy the game on Itch, do I have to pay once, or for each update?
You should only have to pay once. If not, let me know; I had a weird issue with that last update so I changed the way I posted game updates to hopefully make it so you only have to pay once. At worst, you can pay the first time, then choose to pay $0 if it won't let you download an update.

Hullahopp

Dec 26, 2018
You should only have to pay once. If not, let me know; I had a weird issue with that last update so I changed the way I posted game updates to hopefully make it so you only have to pay once. At worst, you can pay the first time, then choose to pay $0 if it won't let you download an update.
Okay, thanks for the reply. How much would you consider a fair one-off payment?
(I would prefer to support you on Patreon, but... Anyway, I won't bore you with the internal politics of "my country". If you've seen the movie Fury with Brad Pitt, you'll understand. "This country is like the tank in that movie. It's dirty inside and out and run by idiots.")

• Sad
Reactions: Udayana

Udayana

Oct 19, 2021
Okay, thanks for the reply. How much would you consider a fair one-off payment?
(I would prefer to support you on Patreon, but... Anyway, I won't bore you with the internal politics of "my country". If you've seen the movie Fury with Brad Pitt, you'll understand. "This country is like the tank in that movie. It's dirty inside and out and run by idiots.")
Is there a country which is clean inside and outside? "Run by idiots", I'm not sure. Many can be very clever when power and money are at stake.

Hullahopp

Dec 26, 2018
Is there a country which is clean inside and outside? "Run by idiots", I'm not sure. Many can be very clever when power and money are at stake.
Sorry for the OFF. Look, without a host, the parasite dies. Currently (for 12 years) they have a policy of "The devil take the hindmost!" It will either be bankruptcy or civil war.

• Sad

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Dunno if this should be called a bug... but in most part of the game, whenever there appeared choices on screen, the scene itself turned to black and white with sometimes one element in color, then all of sudden we get a few where the scene stays full-color. Started with MC at work thinking who all she needs to call up to where she has the choice to frolic with B. Then a couple black and white ones again during the phone call with Mara, then two full-color again with Sylvia followed by one with Mara and the next one black and white again and all of the corkboards with the polaroids full-color again.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Nine of Swords

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
Dunno if this should be called a bug... but in most part of the game, whenever there appeared choices on screen, the scene itself turned to black and white with sometimes one element in color, then all of sudden we get a few where the scene stays full-color. Started with MC at work thinking who all she needs to call up to where she has the choice to frolic with B. Then a couple black and white ones again during the phone call with Mara, then two full-color again with Sylvia followed by one with Mara and the next one black and white again and all of the corkboards with the polaroids full-color again.
I didn't encounter that issue, I think it's something in your setup.

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Hmm... so the game is supposed to have the scene turn black-and-white (with the choices still in purple) whenever you need to make a choice, or whenever the narration is interrupted while you're controlling another character. If there's parts not going monochrome, or if there's a choice prompt where the screen doesn't go monochrome, that'd be the bug.

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
I didn't encounter that issue, I think it's something in your setup.
Nope, checked, double checked, redownloaded, fresh install, unmodded. So maybe you're not remembering/noticed these. All of them occurred in chapter 3.
As mentioned below, I played as a female MC, so I have no idea if this also happens (or not) if playing as a male MC.

Hmm... so the game is supposed to have the scene turn black-and-white (with the choices still in purple) whenever you need to make a choice, or whenever the narration is interrupted while you're controlling another character. If there's parts not going monochrome, or if there's a choice prompt where the screen doesn't go monochrome, that'd be the bug.
Ok, that's what I was thinking, it struck me as odd that this pattern would change.
Playing as a female MC, below the ones where, for me, it didn't turn monochrome

The first occurrence for me was when MC is at the office in Chapter 3, considering if the others where helping or having their own agenda, and decides to call everyone.
Every occurrence afterwards seems related with the options presented here. Whenever the menu with the call options showed, I chose the top one.
In my playthrough that meant not every choice was made by clicking, some of the "Call ..." options seemed to be selected automatically.
So after the choice to "Call Tara" (where there were still 4 options listed), the next time I returned to this menu there were only two left ("Call Rain" and "Call Mara") , where the second one also got automatically selected after ending Rain's call.

1. At MC's workplace, ch003a.rpy, label ch003slot1, the jump at line 290 to ch003stories.rpy, label ch003storychoice . First option listed "Call Sophia"
  2. Aiden's basement, ch003a.rpy, label ch003sophia, the choice menu starting at line 416
  3. Back at MC's workplace, ch003a.rpy, label ch003slot3, the jump at line 300 to ch003stories.rpy, label ch003storychoice. First option listed "Call Tara"
  4. MC's home, B visiting, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck, the choice menu starting at line 75
  5. MC's home, B joined by Sophia, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck, the choice menu starting at line 375
  6. MC's home, B joined by Sophia, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck2, the choice menu starting at line 526
  7. MC's home, Just B, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck2, the choice menu starting at line 584
  8. MC's home, Just B, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck2, the choice menu starting at line 621
  9. MC's home, Just B, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck2, the choice menu starting at line 677
  10. Back at MC's workplace, ch003a.rpy, label ch003slot4, the jump at line 310 to ch003stories.rpy, label ch003storychoice. First option listed "Call Rain"
  11. Mara talking to Sylvia, ch003stories.rpy, label ch003mara, the choice menu starting at line 1032
  12. Mara talking to Sylvia, ch003stories.rpy, label ch003mara, the choice menu starting at line 1156
  13. Mara visiting MC, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003marasexscenef, the choice menu starting at line 1465

These were the ones where it happened in my playthrough.

And of course the corkboard, technically there's no menu showing, but since you still need to make choices here which character to review, it felt odd to not have it show monochrome and only the hovered photo in color with the board only showing in full color after a photo was clicked. Some experimenting showed it would actually work. To not have to repeat the monochrome call at the end of every review, instead of having it shown just before the end of label ch003finale, it would only need to be shown at the start of label ch003board before the screen ch003mythosboard(): statement. so every time you return here after a review it would show monochrome again and only the hovered photo in color with the board only showing full color after having clicked a photo by adding scene bg corkboarddn as first statement in each review without the at start_menu suffix.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Nope, checked, double checked, redownloaded, fresh install, unmodded. So maybe you're not remembering/noticed these. All of them occurred in chapter 3.
As mentioned below, I played as a female MC, so I have no idea if this also happens (or not) if playing as a male MC.

Ok, that's what I was thinking, it struck me as odd that this pattern would change.
Playing as a female MC, below the ones where, for me, it didn't turn monochrome

The first occurrence for me was when MC is at the office in Chapter 3, considering if the others where helping or having their own agenda, and decides to call everyone.
Every occurrence afterwards seems related with the options presented here. Whenever the menu with the call options showed, I chose the top one.
In my playthrough that meant not every choice was made by clicking, some of the "Call ..." options seemed to be selected automatically.
So after the choice to "Call Tara" (where there were still 4 options listed), the next time I returned to this menu there were only two left ("Call Rain" and "Call Mara") , where the second one also got automatically selected after ending Rain's call.

1. At MC's workplace, ch003a.rpy, label ch003slot1, the jump at line 290 to ch003stories.rpy, label ch003storychoice . First option listed "Call Sophia"
  2. Aiden's basement, ch003a.rpy, label ch003sophia, the choice menu starting at line 416
  3. Back at MC's workplace, ch003a.rpy, label ch003slot3, the jump at line 300 to ch003stories.rpy, label ch003storychoice. First option listed "Call Tara"
  4. MC's home, B visiting, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck, the choice menu starting at line 75
  5. MC's home, B joined by Sophia, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck, the choice menu starting at line 375
  6. MC's home, B joined by Sophia, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck2, the choice menu starting at line 526
  7. MC's home, Just B, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck2, the choice menu starting at line 584
  8. MC's home, Just B, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck2, the choice menu starting at line 621
  9. MC's home, Just B, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003bflirtcheck2, the choice menu starting at line 677
  10. Back at MC's workplace, ch003a.rpy, label ch003slot4, the jump at line 310 to ch003stories.rpy, label ch003storychoice. First option listed "Call Rain"
  11. Mara talking to Sylvia, ch003stories.rpy, label ch003mara, the choice menu starting at line 1032
  12. Mara talking to Sylvia, ch003stories.rpy, label ch003mara, the choice menu starting at line 1156
  13. Mara visiting MC, ch003sexscenes.rpy, label ch003marasexscenef, the choice menu starting at line 1465

These were the ones where it happened in my playthrough.

And of course the corkboard, technically there's no menu showing, but since you still need to make choices here which character to review, it felt odd to not have it show monochrome and only the hovered photo in color with the board only showing in full color after a photo was clicked. Some experimenting showed it would actually work. To not have to repeat the monochrome call at the end of every review, instead of having it shown just before the end of label ch003finale, it would only need to be shown at the start of label ch003board before the screen ch003mythosboard(): statement. so every time you return here after a review it would show monochrome again and only the hovered photo in color with the board only showing full color after having clicked a photo.
Thank you for this very thorough breakdown!!! I'm going to have to delve in and fix this, for sure.

Reactions: FaceCrap

FaceCrap

Oct 1, 2020
Thank you for this very thorough breakdown!!! I'm going to have to delve in and fix this, for sure.
I noticed you replied before I made some corrections to the corkboard bit... forgot to mention that to have the corkboard show in full color, it would need to be included as regular scene call at the start of each review.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Red Heart

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Has Nine been quieter than usual? Yes! Here's why.
Magic goblins stole her voice?

Maxwell Smart employed the Cone of Silence?

Investigation Mode? I may just undo that entirely for Chapter Four and have the clues just straight-up given as you play through it.
Could always keep it in Chapter Three, then have B break the fourth wall early in Chapter Four to complain about it and introduce a simpler integration.

I for one kind of liked the idea of it, even if it feels like it still needs tweaking. I think the problem is when you introduce anything beyond the most basic of mechanics there will always be people who love the innovation and people who hate it. So feedback will generally be a bit divisive.

One fun thing about Chapter Four is that, by the end of it, you could have enough information to decisively figure out the culprit, assuming you ask the right questions and pay attention to the right bits.
Obviously, the butler did it.

Of course!
I "heard" this post in this voice:

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes