VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
Anyway, Sylvia explained to Mara that vampires can fully stand the sunlight.
It's just that historically they find more convenient to act at night : less human (because the vast majority of human sleep at night), more easy to hide in the darkness...
When some humans have started to note the existence of vampires, they noticed that vampires went out at night.
And they falsely attributed this behavior to an aversion or weakness to sunlight, when it was just a preference.

EDIT: grammatical error
I find it fascinating how one vampire story says that vampires dies because of sunlight is obviously bogus but how holy water is deadly. The next story says that holy water is obviously bogus, but garlic and crucifixes are legit. And so on. And nearly all vampire stories need to comment on how stupid the humans are to believe such things, even when something else is legit.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
View attachment 2456580

Friday Update - March 10th, 2023

Hard to say what is the best.

Releasing the game on Steam will bring you a greater audience, and more cash.
But when people buy a game one Steam, they are expecting to get a final product. Well it can be an early access, so not complete at the time of the release. But it's a commitment you will ended the game.
Whereas on Patreon, even if lot of people don't understand it, you don't buy a product. You fund an artist. Certainly, you hope they will finish their projects. But it's not the same that buying something that you expect to be complete.

Now, I think you want to complete Mythos Book 1. So maybe it's not a big deal to take the commitment to finish it.
But still, I think it will add a bit more pressure on you. Because then, you will have customers in addition to patreons. And as it seems that you are a bit anxious (well just a little bit :)), I don't know if it's a good idea.

One last thing, you had talked about releasing a PG version on Steam.
I think it's best if you publish the PG and the adult version at the same time.
Which seem easier if you finish the adult version, expurge it of adult content to create the PG version, then release the two on Steam.
In the other case, you will have to recreate the PG version from the adult one each time you want to release a version on Steam.
It's feel more works to do.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
No Friday Update This Week! o_O

So tonight we have to go buy Morgana's new car, and I know car buying can take freaking forever, so I just wanted to drop a quick note here; I remember saying at one point that if I miss a weekly update, that would mean something may have happened to me. I'm fine! It's just been a very busy week for the worst reasons.

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019

So tonight we have to go buy Morgana's new car, and I know car buying can take freaking forever, so I just wanted to drop a quick note here; I remember saying at one point that if I miss a weekly update, that would mean something may have happened to me. I'm fine! It's just been a very busy week for the worst reasons.
Cool! Wish you all the best and to find a good car. :) (y)

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020

pikachu.gif

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
I find it fascinating how one vampire story says that vampires dies because of sunlight is obviously bogus but how holy water is deadly. The next story says that holy water is obviously bogus, but garlic and crucifixes are legit. And so on. And nearly all vampire stories need to comment on how stupid the humans are to believe such things, even when something else is legit.
And the best part is when the vampires claim to be the ones who made up most of those fake weaknesses in the first place, to trick humans into not knowing the real ones.

There's also the fun part where a lot of vampire myths are basically just common sense. Like, sure, jamming a wooden stake in someone's chest, cutting their head off, and burying them face down with garlic in their mouth is definitely going to kill a vampire, but it's also going to kill literally everyone else as well. Does it really count as a weakness if it's just the same thing that would kill pretty much anyone? Hey guys, I bet vampires are vulnerable to fire if you cremate them in temperatures above 2000 degrees!

Though what's even more interesting is when you actually research the origins of some of those myths. For example, the sunlight thing? It was never really part of the vampire mythos until the film Nosferatu (in the 1920s). Not showing up in mirrors or photographs? That's because original old-time mirrors and photography used silver backing, and silver was seen as a "pure" and holy metal that was immune to evil, so it wouldn't capture a vampire's image (and modern mirrors and photography don't really use silver anymore, so vampires should show up just fine).

Or my personal favorite (which I've brought up in this topic before) is the whole "vampires are magically OCD and have to stop to count every grain if you throw a handful of rice/wheat/etc at them", which is why The Count from Sesame Street is actually one of the most accurate depictions of a real vampire ever seen on television.

Incidentally, all this talk about sunlight and vampire rules made me think of this:

(I kind of recommend that show for people who are into Mythos - it's kind of cheap in a 90s TV sort of way, but it's cheesy fun. And as far as I can tell all of the episodes are on YouTube right now.)

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Being as you can choose to be a female protagonist, pregnancy just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense.

Plus, for me personally, pregnancy is a huge turn-off.
The "beer/vodka" analogy :sick: is a bigger turnoff for me than pregnancy (which I don't mind, but don't seek out)

Personally I don't mix beer and hard liquor.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
The "beer/vodka" analogy :sick: is a bigger turnoff for me than pregnancy (which I don't mind, but don't seek out)

Personally I don't mix beer and hard liquor.
Was a weird analogy. I fall firmly in the preg'r'good camp, but that analogy was out there. "Beer before liquor never been sicker"
To be totally honest, that analogy didn't even stick in my mind. I don't really drink, so it sounded normal to me! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: HogRocket
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes