VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Orphanus

Oct 25, 2019
Hm, I'm close to what I think is going to be the end of the current content, now I wonder if I should start over immediately, trying another character's route (as far as we can pick so far) or better wait for the next update. :D

Very, very nice experience so far, great writing from a technical standpoint, humor is well done, and from an entirely subjective standpoint I kinda outright adore it. Lovely cast of characters & despite me really not enjoying the gloom overarching plot (more specifically the inherent melancholy around the death of Lisa and details like the fact she was talked into splitting up with the protagonist) the interaction with the main characters more than just makes up for it, and so far I feel "in good hands", by which I mean there is much more delight to find than there is depressing stuff happening and being depicted. The story also is well crafted, it's intriguing and mysterious, definitely doesn't give me a sense of being able to predict what's to come. Nor can I predict what goes on with every single character or what their motivations/goals are.

I'm kinda curious how things will shape out and if the romance routes will lead to different outcomes overall.

Can't wait for the next update & I hope everything goes smooth on your end, this is a an ambitious, awesome project. :D

Orphanus

Oct 25, 2019
Alright, little update, I wasn't expecting B to be that and went for her route first because I thought even if she is just
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
she just is the most appealing (and I'm more into playing multiple times focusing on 1 romance wherever it is possible instead of a harem approach, even though I have a certain hunch it might be very worth trying that in your game too, because it might lead to a very cute outcome in it's own right, since I like almost everyone so far, which is probably woefully naive) but after learning about her actual nature I'm even more happy. Also that entire scene was a very unexpected revelation as well as damn hot, as far as the alone time with her afterwards is concerned. Not that it matters in the end (I'm already hooked on her route anyway) but I certainly would be even more overjoyed if she ends up being a bit on the dominant side, it would certainly fit her self-assured attitude. *ahem*

Also very positively surprised I was by the fact that while I struggle to read their motives in fact I have been underestimating how actually non ominous the cast is. Not sure if that is the right word but whenever I see what the main cast did while the protagonist wasn't present (at least in regards to their interactions with characters that I was relatively certain would be massive jerks) I end up thinking more highly of the side characters involved.
Additionally, those scenes haven't been annoying to me, and usually I am somewhat strongly opposed to switching perspectives and characters, the only exception so far (I think) has been Wayhaven Chronicles, but there it was because 2 of the 4 routes to me are borderline painful to read at times (of course they are the only 2 that I am invested in x.x) and only by getting an insight into what the 2 characters actually feel it makes things more or less enjoyable.
In Mythos I felt like I got an important insight into events as well as characters, but due to being visualized and quite short though I felt like they actually add to the story and mystery all by themselves, and aren't just a needed tool to display things otherwise obscure to the reader, and to keep an otherwise slightly unpleasant and draining sorta love story within the spectrum of at least more or less romantic and "wholesome" (I guess subtracting my probably obvious salt there would remove the quotation marks, if I'm entirely fair, but that's beside the point). You're doing a bloody good job with handling your point of view swaps.

Finally you managed to make me enjoy some 4th wall breaks, which is a really rare feat. At best of times I find them completely superfluous, a lot of times I wish they weren't there. Don't think they've ever been able to stop me from enjoying a good story, but I certainly don't find they added anything. But here I'm constantly chuckling & the line about a certain problem about character relations in lewd games not applying to
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
just completely killed me. :ROFLMAO:

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Thank you, Orphanus for your in-depth appreciation posts! I don't get a whole lot of reviews so I'm always happy to see them, even if they're just posted in the thread. :D I'll address individual bits of what you said later on tonight (maybe), but for now I have to address...

is still in development??
So, um... as some others mentioned last week when you asked a variation of the same question, the game is very much still in active development. I'm pretty active in this thread, and I also post updates every single week - they're not behind a paywall or anything, you're totally free to look at them.

Oh look, here's one now!!!

update20230512.jpg

Weekly Update - May 12th, 2023

Orphanus

Oct 25, 2019
Thank you, Orphanus for your in-depth appreciation posts! I don't get a whole lot of reviews so I'm always happy to see them, even if they're just posted in the thread. :D I'll address individual bits of what you said later on tonight (maybe), but for now I have to address...

So, um... as some others mentioned last week when you asked a variation of the same question, the game is very much still in active development. I'm pretty active in this thread, and I also post updates every single week - they're not behind a paywall or anything, you're totally free to look at them.

View attachment 2616274

You are most welcome, I will happily properly rate the game at a point where it is at least halfway done (if it is by now I will ofc see to rate it after the next update, as of now I'm under the assumption we aren't half through the story yet)

And since I'm replying right now anyway let me say the final scene of the current content probably made me make an even dumber face than the characters it involved.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020

View attachment 2616274

I didn't think cat could be diabetic.

You can cook ribs again?
I'm on my way!
:)

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
You are most welcome, I will happily properly rate the game at a point where it is at least halfway done (if it is by now I will ofc see to rate it after the next update, as of now I'm under the assumption we aren't half through the story yet)

And since I'm replying right now anyway let me say the final scene of the current content probably made me make an even dumber face than the characters it involved.
Oh, we are literally halfway through the story; technically more than half way! The original plan was five chapters, but I'm splitting Chapter Four in half to get an update out faster, so now it's going to be six.

Chapter Four was going to be the last "investigation" chapter, and Chapter Five was going to be just you choosing who to accuse of murder and then the 15 different endings you get as a result of your choice. Now it's going to be Four and Five as somewhat shorter investigative chapters, then six being the "update of endings."

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020

View attachment 2616274

chibird-love.gif

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Orphanus

Oct 25, 2019
Oh, we are literally halfway through the story; technically more than half way! The original plan was five chapters, but I'm splitting Chapter Four in half to get an update out faster, so now it's going to be six.

Chapter Four was going to be the last "investigation" chapter, and Chapter Five was going to be just you choosing who to accuse of murder and then the 15 different endings you get as a result of your choice. Now it's going to be Four and Five as somewhat shorter investigative chapters, then six being the "update of endings."
In that case I will rate the game either sometime the next days or after the update dropped. Not gonna lie, I am a bit sad this isn't going to be even longer :p

Are there any plans or at least a chance for a sequel? The other characters aside even just the female protagonist would be cool to see again, out of the VNs in this graphic style she has one of my favorite models, but, yeah, a sequel would of course be especially great. :giggle:

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
In that case I will rate the game either sometime the next days or after the update dropped. Not gonna lie, I am a bit sad this isn't going to be even longer :p

Are there any plans or at least a chance for a sequel? The other characters aside even just the female protagonist would be cool to see again, out of the VNs in this graphic style she has one of my favorite models, but, yeah, a sequel would of course be especially great. :giggle:
Ohohoho, there are indeed going to be sequels! This is called "Book One" for exactly that reason! Well, it's also called that because the actual title (which you see after completing Chapter Three) is kind of a spoiler... but I digress!

I have a ton of other story ideas that all will take place in this same world. Most of them will be relatively short, like this one, but all weave together to be a big story. A Mythos Cinematic Universe, if you will!

There are so many stories knocking around in my brainmeat that I'm still not totally sure which one I wanna do next. The cast is going to cycle around a bit, with some characters not appearing and others becoming part of the "main cast" of other games, and the MC could even shift around - Though I'm still not sure how I'd handle that (like if I want to keep allowing gender choices or make it so you're playing - for example - Tara in her own story, so you can't change her gender or name).

Book One is meant to establish the setting, the major factions, and hint at the larger antagonistic force in play, before you pick up the other games that will take place in the Mythos world. It also is serving to teach me how to make games... one day I may have it all figured out.

Orphanus

Oct 25, 2019
Ohohoho, there are indeed going to be sequels! This is called "Book One" for exactly that reason! Well, it's also called that because the actual title (which you see after completing Chapter Three) is kind of a spoiler... but I digress!

I have a ton of other story ideas that all will take place in this same world. Most of them will be relatively short, like this one, but all weave together to be a big story. A Mythos Cinematic Universe, if you will!

There are so many stories knocking around in my brainmeat that I'm still not totally sure which one I wanna do next. The cast is going to cycle around a bit, with some characters not appearing and others becoming part of the "main cast" of other games, and the MC could even shift around - Though I'm still not sure how I'd handle that (like if I want to keep allowing gender choices or make it so you're playing - for example - Tara in her own story, so you can't change her gender or name).

Book One is meant to establish the setting, the major factions, and hint at the larger antagonistic force in play, before you pick up the other games that will take place in the Mythos world. It also is serving to teach me how to make games... one day I may have it all figured out.
Awesome news! Well, I hope it's okay for me to route for most stuff sticking to the 2 protagonist choices of this game (okay, personally just the female one, but because of that very reason I know how it sucks to not have a protagonist one likes, so obviously it would be best to have a male choice as well, where it fits).

I wouldn't have guessed this is your first game, so to speak, if you stick to what makes this game great you have a bright future ahead, in the sense of making games and creating stories people enjoy a lot. Surely hope it will translate into business success as well, if you intend to make a living from it some day. :)

Last edited:

Clutchfrog

Jan 3, 2021

I just found this game and the whole beginning fucked with me right from the start. I live in Baltimore Maryland and I have been to Ft Meade. So far, I can't wait to see what happens next.

Edit: Ok...now I am convinced the Dev lives in my area because he is bringing up the names of areas that are very close to me and quite specific. Places that I actually go to at least once a week. This game has me fricking riveted now. PLEASE DON'T ABANDON THIS GAME!!! lol

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Lmao..NOT FAIR ....The fact that he is bringing up places like Hunt Valley and Columbia is pretty freaky. I feel like Nine lives in the area with the knowledge he has displayed of the area.
LOL I do! I've lived in the Baltimore area all my life - almost 44 years! I'm not a "he", though. ♥

Since you seem to know specifics, I can say this and you may understand it: T's Diner is supposed to be the Double T diner in Ellicott City. It even mentions the nearby bakery (Tour le Jours). I don't mention these places by name, of course, but if you wanted to know more specifically where they are, there they are!

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes