VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
And, before I forget,
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I think ole Becki with an I is a bit like Tara and had a thing for our Ky for a long time.

She's second on my suspect list at the moment .... right behind the Cat.

Just to note, i'm not saying the Cat for comedic effect this time, I don't think the Cat is an actual Cat .... i'm thinking something along the lines of similar to Tara.

Boehser Onkel

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Feb 20, 2021
I think ole Becki with an I is a bit like Tara and had a thing for our Ky for a long time.

She's second on my suspect list at the moment .... right behind the Cat.

Just to note, i'm not saying the Cat for comedic effect this time, I don't think the Cat is an actual Cat .... i'm thinking something along the lines of similar to Tara.
yeah - Becki (With an I) is my Nr1 suspect too
with the new "info" from the ennai - it could be cecil , right ? if he´s possesed - the, from him ,mentioned "nap´s" he takes making more sense
time for the demon to take over , no ?

and for the cat - a piece of lisa´s soul to watch over the mc :unsure:

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Son of Durin

Engaged Member
Jul 5, 2021
After the pickle sandwich, I'm a bit afraid to ask what this is
View attachment 2803330
:)
That sounds pretty good...

Maybe it's like a Monte Cristo, but with brioche, burger patty, cheese, onions, bacon, then dipped in egg, deep fried and topped with powdered sugar, Steen's on the side for dipping....:unsure:

I'll have to get this one downloaded soon so I can figure out if they say...

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
It's a free game that was going to be out in two days anyway, so I'm not super devastated or anything. I don't even think my Patreon/SubscribeStar people care much that they get it earlier. :) I just want people to enjoy my stories.
I mean, technically I got it a few hours before it leaked here, so I'm happy ...

• Red Heart

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Oh, I have pretty bad sleep apnea, too! I sleep with a CPAP machine. My diabetes is a very recent thing, but also something my doctor and I are pretty confident I can put into remission just with a few lifestyle changes that I've already started doing.
If I wasn't male, I would think you were describing my life ... all you're missing is kidney stones.

Nick_on_Vox

Apr 16, 2023
The currently listed android file linked here is broken. Getting an exception for "could not find image" for every frame that doesn't have a player choice. I've uninstalled/deleted and downloaded again and got the same issue.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
After the pickle sandwich, I'm a bit afraid to ask what this is
View attachment 2803330
:)
It's another real-life thing I saw on a menu around here! It's the same as the "normal" hangover burger (beef patty topped with cheese, fried egg, bacon, and hash browns), but instead of a normal bun it's two thick pieces of French Toast.

If I wasn't male, I would think you were describing my life ... all you're missing is kidney stones.
No kidney stones, thank the Maker! Though I inherited a lovely condition from my mother: Whenever I feel anything wrong with my body, I immediately assume it's the most fatal possibility.

I feel a pain in my back? Kidney failure.
My hand fell asleep? Stroke.
Bathroom issues? Cancer.

It's pretty exhausting... though one thing I did forget to mention is the lung collapse I had in high school that they said would happen again "soon", and I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop for almost 30 years...

• Wow
Reactions: damnedfrog

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
The currently listed android file linked here is broken. Getting an exception for "could not find image" for every frame that doesn't have a player choice. I've uninstalled/deleted and downloaded again and got the same issue.
This is actually fixed in the Patreon/SubscribeStar release, and will be also fixed in the free public release this Friday. :)

Reactions: Nick_on_Vox

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
I think it's safe to say mission accomplished so far.

I don't know if you noticed hun but you got fans now.

Also means you can never retire because that would make us all sad and you wouldn't want to make us all sad now would you?
At the risk of getting too sappy here... that's all I've ever wanted.

I've been writing silly little stories as far back as I knew how to write. The first story I remember writing was in third grade (about 8 years old, I guess?) and it was about this cute little fuzzy alien. When I got to high school, not only did I write tons of stories to share around with my friends, but I ran a shit ton of tabletop RPGs just to get people more personally invested in my stories.

A lot of the characters and themes in Mythos are just the evolution of things I created throughout my life. I never attempted to get any of my work actually published (fear of rejection and all that), so putting it into a game seemed to be a "safe" option to disseminate my creations. Sometimes it's tough, since I not only have to work with the visual and technical aspects (Daz and Ren'Py), but I have to figure out how to work sex/romance into things, but I've managed to do all that without compromising the actual story part of my stories, so I'm happy to do it.

Though if I could get away with making non-adult Mythos stories I'd be happier, of course.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
It's another real-life thing I saw on a menu around here! It's the same as the "normal" hangover burger (beef patty topped with cheese, fried egg, bacon, and hash browns), but instead of a normal bun it's two thick pieces of French Toast.
We had a place that specialized in "special" burgers ... I can't remember what they called it, but the one I called "heart attack burger" was a full classic burger -- thick patty, lettuce, tomato, onion, bacon, etc. -- between two full grilled cheese sandwiches.
No kidney stones, thank the Maker! Though I inherited a lovely condition from my mother: Whenever I feel anything wrong with my body, I immediately assume it's the most fatal possibility.

I feel a pain in my back? Kidney failure.
My hand fell asleep? Stroke.
Bathroom issues? Cancer.

It's pretty exhausting... though one thing I did forget to mention is the lung collapse I had in high school that they said would happen again "soon", and I've been waiting for the other shoe to drop for almost 30 years...
*This message has been brought to you by "FARL" (Fappers Against Reaction Limits)*

• Wow

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
There will be the accusation, the fallout from the accusation, then the epiloque. The epilogue will change based on the choices you made, but the fallout from the accusation will be the real "meat" of the endings, if that makes sense?
So the epilogue is more modular (or at least takes the in-game decisions into consideration), while the accusation and fallout thereof is more based on the final choice you make. If so, that sounds like you're kind of combining the two possible ways to handle endings. Which honestly might be the most effective way to handle endings in a game like this (and it's not entirely dissimilar from how Dragon Age: Origins ends).

As for importing saves, I don't think I'm going to do that. Book One has been my first project and there's a lot in the code I regret having done in the way that I did. Books Two and beyond will likely have a sort of approach like that Knights of the Old Republic 2 dialogue where you answer questions about what happened in the previous games.
It's probably better that way. It helps you ignore unnecessary flags and variables, while only dealing with the most necessary ones.

You also don't necessarily need to do a KotOR2/Mass Effect 2/Witcher 3 style dialogue where you ask the player about all of their flags in a single conversation in-game early on, but you could spread those choices out over time, and have them come up contextually. Like, say, Book Two Nelson doesn't mention Tara in their internal monologue, but then they bump into someone from high school who mentions Tara and says "Hey, are you two still super-besties like you used to be?", and then you can have dialogue choices like "Yes we are", "We actually started dating", or "We actually started dating, but then we kind of grew apart", which would then set your flag for Tara Romance to "No", "Yes", or "Ended". Or Mara shows up and while Nelson is thinking to themselves about how helpful they were in solving Lisa's murder, you get a choice like "Mara was really helpful, I'm glad we're friends" or "And then we became more than friends, and that's awesome."

It could even give you a bit more granularity - like if you want to distinguish between someone who did the sex ritual with Rain because they were desperate to solve the crime, someone who did the sex ritual because Rain's really hot, and someone who avoided the sex ritual entirely because they weren't interested.

In the same way, it could even add nuance to past scenes that the current flags don't allow for. Like if the current flags are really only Romance=yes or Romance=no, you could have a conversation in Book Two that discusses hooking up with Sophia and you get choices like "To be honest, I kind of thought she was hot for a while!" or "It was kind of just an impulsive spur-of-the-moment hook up" or "It was mostly just kind of a pity hook-up because I felt a bit bad for her?"

That way you only really only have to reestablish relationships or events shortly before they become relevant again, rather than overwhelming potential new players with a ton of questions all at once (which was really an issue in Witcher 3, where they spend a full scene asking you about people and events you may know nothing about to establish all the major Witcher 2 flags). And you can define them in whatever way makes them useful for the new game, not just to accurately reflect the previous game's world state.

I do hope there is a canon killer, though it could be fun as a DLC to have a Clue type ending that has means and motive for all 15 suspects.
In that case, we need an equivalent to the cut Wadsworth ending where Nelson turns out to be the killer. They killed Lisa to get revenge for the break-up, and the entire investigation has actually been them acting innocent to cover their tracks, frame someone else, and hook up with a lot of new girlfriends. Or there's possibly Jekyll/Hyde multiple personas at work and the Nelson we're playing as doesn't even realize they're the killer.

Hell, maybe the real twist is that when we pick male/female at the beginning of the game, we're just picking which one is the "good" persona, and the other one we don't pick is actually the killer. They spend the whole game living inside our head, and when the time comes for the accusation if we accuse ourselves they pop out and reveal themselves.

There go my dreams of taking Tara, Soph and B while accusing everyone else to give me the biggest chance of making sure I got the right person and then celebrating with a big girly orgy.
B's definitely the killer though.

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes