VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Exactly.
Nine of Swords is also fun to pester and has a great sense of humor about our "misbehavior" on here and fires right back.

except for the *cough* *cough* werewolf *cough* *cough* issue :unsure:
I don't know what you mean! There is no werewolf issue, because you can't have an issue with something that doesn't exist!

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
At least y'all aren't saying "Lycans". I hate that word.

I have no rational basis for hating it, I just do.
I would never use that word.. I hate it deeply as well. :)

I'm glad that you're starting to meet us halfway, though.... My wolf heart is beating wild from happiness!!:giggle::giggle::giggle:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
At least y'all aren't saying "Lycans". I hate that word.
I think the real problem is that there really isn't a good term for werewolves other than "werewolves".

I never minded Lycan, though I did dislike Garou. And definitely Loup-Garou. Lupine (or Lupe or anything similar) kind of works, but more as an insulting term used to refer to them by an outside group than something they'd necessarily call themselves.

Though on that note...

yes, that's why "Lycan" is so stupid. It's like calling cancer victims "Cans" or amputees "Ampees".
To be fair, there were people who used the term "cripple" or "crip" or similar to refer to people who were crippled, so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility for words to evolve that way.

The way I always interpreted that was that the vampires were the one who called them Lycans (because, you know, the whole slave thing). So it was kind of supposed to be a bit insulting. The werewolves didn't really have a culture or identity of their own to have their own term.

And the name WOULD have been given around the same point in time that people were calling people with leprosy Lepers, so it kind of fits. People in the Middle Ages weren't necessarily the most sensitive about phraseology. Hell, most people prior to the late 20th century weren't all that sensitive about phraseology.

Then when they broke free, they basically just kept using the term because a) they didn't really have an alternative for themselves, and b) because there was a bit of the "I'm taking it back/reclaiming it/redefining it" sort of mentality. Like, "You meant it as an insult, we will make it something to be proud of."

It's not perfect logic, but it's better than winding up with a way more awkward or stupid name (and they easily could have).

Also, Lycanthropy was always a bit pseudoscience-y in the first place, because it just comes from Lycaon in Greek myth, who murdered his son, cooked him, and tried to feed him to Zeus - and was turned into a wolf as punishment. So it was always a kind of magical/supernatural in the first place.

It's like "spelling magic with a 'k' means it REAL!".
Better be careful. Keep that sort of thing up and the ghost of Aleister Crowley is going to start haunting you.

Last edited:

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
Strange as it sounds, "Clinical Lycanthropy" is an actual, real thing. It's not that the people are actually werewolves, but they believe they're werewolves. I'm not totally sure which is named for the other (I assume the mythological term came first).
Acording to Merriam-Webster:
Definition of lycanthropy
1: a delusion that one has become a wolf
2: the assumption of the form and characteristics of a wolf held to be possible by witchcraft or magic

witch kind of makes it sound like some kind of otherkin:LOL:.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
I never minded Lycan, though I did dislike Garou. And definitely Loup-Garou. Lupine (or Lupe or anything similar) kind of works, but more as an insulting term used to refer to them by an outside group than something they'd necessarily call themselves.
"Loup-garou" is the word in French for werewolf.
According to Wikipedia, it's come from the Old French "leus warous". "leus" means "loup" (wolf). And strangely, "warous" seams to come from the old word "wariwulf", you can see the link with "werewolf". So in fact, etymologically loup-garou means wolf-wolfman. Yes, there a lot of wolf in a loup-garou :)

And like in English we also have "lycanthrope" and "lycanthropie", which came from Ancient Greek.

I will say that loup-garou is used in traditional tales and old stories, as it's a word that came from the middle age.
And even if it's Ancient Greek, lycanthrope sound more modern, like a scientific word used in taxonomy. It's less used that loup-garou. More in moden story.

So for me, there nothing strange with loup-garou, it's the word I have heard since I'm a kid.

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes