VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Now I'm wondering if, for the final accusation, I should add a "throw a dart" option to let you randomly accuse a character of murder...
You 100% should.

Bonus points if the dart goes flying wildly to the side, hitting an option that wasn't even part of the original choice, leading to a wacky and completely unpredictable outcome.

Like, the MC trips while throwing the dart, and it accidentally hits Mr. Jenkins, the janitor from the local haunted amusement park. And he would have gotten away with it too, if not for you meddling supernaturals!

I don't think Egyptian goddesses casually turn up just to go "boo, bitches" in cat form.
I don't know, that seems like exactly the sort of thing I'd do if I was an ancient Egyptian god running around in the modern day.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Daz (the program used to create the images for Mythos) announced a new upgrade to their models is comin’ soon. Nine apparently ain’t even looked at it, though. If the Mythos models are gettin’ upgraded to this new “Genesis 9” business, it’s gonna be between games.
This is a very good idea. A lot of other devs have tried to switch versions of their rendering program (either Daz or HS or whatever else) midstream and wound up screwing a ton of things up. Better to stick with what you have and what you know, and you can always upgrade later once you've started the next project.

Even aside from that there's the fact that continuity of style is a big positive for games. If your art style or models all shift dramatically during play, it can be a bit off-putting, because a character can stop looking like the same character. Minor shifts to hairstyle or clothes is fine, but anything that messes with actual facial features can lead to negative reactions. Sure, you might think the new version looks better (and therefore should be fine), but what people are actually going to notice is that the new version looks different (and everything different always sucks, grargh! *flips table*).

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
This is a very good idea. A lot of other devs have tried to switch versions of their rendering program (either Daz or HS or whatever else) midstream and wound up screwing a ton of things up. Better to stick with what you have and what you know, and you can always upgrade later once you've started the next project.

Even aside from that there's the fact that continuity of style is a big positive for games. If your art style or models all shift dramatically during play, it can be a bit off-putting, because a character can stop looking like the same character. Minor shifts to hairstyle or clothes is fine, but anything that messes with actual facial features can lead to negative reactions. Sure, you might think the new version looks better (and therefore should be fine), but what people are actually going to notice is that the new version looks different (and everything different always sucks, grargh! *flips table*).
Hopefully, by the time I work on whatever Mythos title comes after Book one, I'll be good enough with Daz that I can convert everything to Genesis 9 (and maybe Daz 5) so that the surviving characters don't look too much different from how they look now.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Nine's computer catastrophically exploding in 3... 2... 1...
:cry: Please no. I've endured enough pain making this chapter.

EDIT: For what it's worth, very little of that pain has to do with the game itself, just all the shitstorm that flew at me since January. If I had only Mythos problems to deal with we'd be on the next game by now.

Last edited:

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
:cry: Please no. I've endured enough pain making this chapter.

EDIT: For what it's worth, very little of that pain has to do with the game itself, just all the shitstorm that flew at me since January. If I had only Mythos problems to deal with we'd be on the next game by now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes