VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

merlin7560

May 15, 2021
this how I see it, this game has vampires but no werewolves? werewolves and vampires are like enemies, they keep there population from over growing throw war, and werewolves is sort of like a human protector, after all they are like mans best friend, but this game tries to tell you that werewolves don't exist, but yet you have blood suckers (vampires) there has to be a balance, other wise the vamps would over populate killing and or turning all the humans

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
this how I see it, this game has vampires but no werewolves? werewolves and vampires are like enemies, they keep there population from over growing throw war, and werewolves is sort of like a human protector, after all they are like mans best friend, but this game tries to tell you that werewolves don't exist, but yet you have blood suckers (vampires) there has to be a balance, other wise the vamps would over populate killing and or turning all the humans
That's true in stories where Vampires hold all the power, they need something to balance them.

Vampires aren't the most powerful in this universe and a lot of humans have magic.

Vampire isn't much of a problem when you can Flambé them.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Basically just what Avaron1974 said - try to leave out any preconceived notions of how the various supernaturals "function" in traditional lore.

Hell, the title of Chapter Three is "Everything You Know is Wrong". :)

greenjf

Sep 23, 2020
Also a few generations ago, when I played AD&D first edition, I had a werewolf character. Sort of miss my hairy palmed friend.

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
View attachment 2114640

Friday Update - October 21st, 2022

Nothing of note in this update at all. Totally pointless. Don't even bother reading it. Yup.

Man... It was a rollercoaster I'm glad you're out of it, I'm sorry for your loss and I can relate completely since I have the same health issue and no sadly there's no fix but only try to cope with it hoping to have someone dear to help you along the way, wish you the best for the future and may all your dreams come true.:giggle:

Last edited:

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Vampire isn't much of a problem when you can Flambé them.
Or when you can Flambeau them.

Ars Magica/Mage: The Ascension joke literally no one here is going to get.

Basically just what Avaron1974 said - try to leave out any preconceived notions of how the various supernaturals "function" in traditional lore.
The real problem is that "traditional lore" is barely a thing anyway.

Werewolves and vampires barely have anything to do with each other in the original folklore. About the only real connection was that both were supposedly the product of black magic or deals with the Devil. The idea that they're rivals who constantly fight is extremely new (easily late 20th century), and is mostly the product of Hollywood. In fact, most of what we think we know about werewolves in general (weakness to silver, ties to the full moon, a contagious bite, a half-man/half-wolf form) almost entirely comes from the Universal horror movies of the 40s. Which is probably around the first time people started thinking about vampires and werewolves together as well (around the time Universal was going to do the Wolfman vs. Dracula movie). Things get even more complicated when you start looking at the vampires and skinchangers of other cultures (which can easily be different from Eastern European folklore).

In European folklore (what most people think of when talking about Gothic Horror), werewolves were mostly just witches or warlocks who used magic to transform into animals (in this case, specifically wolves). Basically, you make a deal with the Devil, and he teaches you the black magic you need to use to transform. That's pretty much it.

And yes, that does in fact mean that Tara would easily fit certain traditional definitions of what a "werewolf" actually is.

Vampires were pretty much the same way. Most of what we think we know about them comes from movies, not folklore. They were never allergic to the sun until Nosferatu came out (which is around the same time you started getting more monstrous looking vampires). They were the ones who were originally repelled by silver (because silver was seen as being "pure" and thus able to resist evil), which is also why they don't have a reflection (early mirrors were backed with silver) or show up in photographs (because early photography used silver) - neither of which should be a problem now (since neither use silver anymore). Most modern stories ignore the fact that they were super OCD (and had to stop and count every grain of wheat or rice if you threw a handful at them while they were chasing you) and couldn't cross running water - unless you're dealing with a smartass who throws stuff like that in just to look clever.

And yes, that does in fact mean that The Count from Sesame Street is one of the more accurate representations of a classical vampire you'll ever see on television.

Honestly, any story involving vampires or werewolves (or the lack thereof) can describe them in pretty much any way they want to - odds are there's already been a myth or a story or a movie out there that describes them similarly anyway. There's really no ONE TRUE WEREWOLF or ONE TRUE VAMPIRE that is the baseline accurate definition and everything else is wrong.

Except vampires that glitter in sunlight. That shit's just 100% wrong.

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
View attachment 2114640

Nothing of note in this update at all. Totally pointless. Don't even bother reading it. Yup.

1 year!
This is unacceptable!
For the trouble, I am invoking all the werewolves of Mythos to punish you!
:LOL:

Seriously, you had a shitty year.
It's totally understandable that you couldn't work on the game as you want.
I really hope the next year will be better.

Also, never make Morgana pass after the game.
She must always have (and be) the priority.
In fact, thank you Morgana to let Nine of Swords making this game.

Last edited:

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Or when you can Flambeau them.

Ars Magica/Mage: The Ascension joke literally no one here is going to get.
Not only is Mage: the Ascension one of my favourite RPGs (Sons of Ether are my fave), but there's a lot of Mage influence in Mythos!

The Convocation and the Bureau may make more sense, now... XD

Reactions: Dylan741

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
View attachment 2114640

Wow. You had a shitty year. Though that can probably be said about a lot of people. These last few years have indeed been trying in basically every aspect of life. Not trying to diminish your year in any way, of course, just that it has been a long time since I actually heard anyone say, "Gosh, I had a great year. Everything perfect." :)

Glad to hear things are getting better and fantastic to hear about the release of the next chapter.

One thing, and I really don't mean to impose, but I've been able to get off my antidepressant meds a few times, if you feel you need them again, don't be disappointed. I mean, maybe it never happens, which would be great, but if it does, it's no failure on your part, on the contrary, to be able to get off of them even if only for a while is an achievement.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Not only is Mage: the Ascension one of my favourite RPGs (Sons of Ether are my fave), but there's a lot of Mage influence in Mythos!

The Convocation and the Bureau may make more sense, now... XD
Oh, it does - and we've definitely discussed all of this before. :D

But my joke was more Order of Hermes-centric, so even Mage fans might not get it unless they're Order nerds like I am. :p

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes