VN Others Completed Naomi's past [v1.0] [Ark Thompson]

4.20 star(s) 11 Votes

Effinpist

May 10, 2018
Is anyone else having the game freeze up after the MC confronts Raika about seeing the teacher in the woods? It gets to where she is in her apartment, then there's a knock and the game just stops. It has done the dame thing for the last 3 releases on the game, and I can't do anything except quit the game. It does it every single time i play. Tried it on auto, same thing, tried skipping, same thing. I can't get past that no matter what.

RedPillBlues

I Want to Rock your Body (To the Break of Dawn)
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
So in reality, this 5 NEW scene update is an absolute lie. Its like 1 new scene and 3 reused scenes. What a terrible way to end the game. The BJ's were the only good part of this game. All the vaginal scenes lacked penetrations, which is like 50% of the fetish. Clearly the artist was cutting corners. Feelsreallybadman.

Last edited:

m3llo

Aug 5, 2018
damn, I was really hoping this game would have a lot more content, some new type of beast after every class, lots of variety. I dunno, get weird with it.

Reactions: blarg0192

Ark Thompson

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2016
Is anyone else having the game freeze up after the MC confronts Raika about seeing the teacher in the woods? It gets to where she is in her apartment, then there's a knock and the game just stops. It has done the dame thing for the last 3 releases on the game, and I can't do anything except quit the game. It does it every single time i play. Tried it on auto, same thing, tried skipping, same thing. I can't get past that no matter what.
Can you be more precise please? I'd like to correct that bug but I can't find the exact moment you're talking about (which chapter is it?)

People having freezes and stuff like that please give me precise indications (chapter, dialogues, what's happening exactly etc...) so that I can test things on my side and ideally correct them, thanks.

So in reality, this 5 NEW scene update is an absolute lie. Its like 1 new scene and 3 reused scenes. What a terrible way to end the game. The BJ's were the only good part of this game. All the vaginal scenes lacked penetrations, which is like 50% of the fetish. Clearly the artist was cutting corners. Feelsreallybadman.
Nope, it's not a lie. That's why it's called a "scene" and not a "base image". Words are important. A scene = a hentai scene occuring in the game. An image = An image, no matter what it is. A base image = A whole new pic from which variations will be used to create several images. There are 12 scenes in SoV2 between Reiko and her two daughters in futa mode and they're based on the same base image. However, everytime, the setting, the dialogues and the outcome are different. That's 1 base image, more than 100 pics and 12 scenes. I've been using that precise vocabulary for more than 3 or 4 years now exactly so that people knew what to expect when I talked about each of those elements. So please, don't call me a liar. I write the exact content of my updates and I'm not hiding them behind a myriad of useless things to try to look like I've worked a ton.

Also I'd be curious to understand how a "vaginal scene" can lack "penetration". If there's no penetration how can it be a vaginal scene? There are 6 vaginal penetration scenes (and an anal one) and they all contain penetration... Unless you're talking about the only scene where there is vaginal play without penetration (the masturbation one). But that's the only one.

damn, I was really hoping this game would have a lot more content, some new type of beast after every class, lots of variety. I dunno, get weird with it.
This is exactly what then $1 tier is for: following news and knowing what to expect. Naomi's Past has ALWAYS been meant to be a small game. Here's a March 2016 post (where I explain I'm putting Naomi's Past on hiatus):

I'd like to point out that sentence: "There are 14 scenes now instead of the 12 initially planned"

Already back then, PeakJump had signed for 12 scenes. Contrary to how things are today, the contracts we made were based on a precise amount of pictures to draw (both for SoV2 and Naomi's Past). Artists have a life and unless you can shower them with cash, they can't stay with you forever. I've kept repeating that Naomi's Past would have 12 base image for at least 3 years. And even though, it'll reach 25 once the game's is completed. Which is more than twice (cause you have to take non hentai pictures into account. Just because they don't show smut doesn't mean they don't take time to draw.) I'd also like to remind people that 1) I'm not using multiple artists for a single game (so of course there's less content, but at least it's coherent) and 2) Money's an important factor. I won't go into details but basically you can't expect someone paying a team of 4 to 6 people with 2,2k/month to have the same speed than someone earning ten times that amount.

Anyway, people who expected a very long VN with ton of content sure will be disappointed. But that was never the plan from the start. It's not like I'm decieving people by claiming the contrary at some point and then making it a quick small game because I'm fed up with it. No. I've always said it would be a small game. Just like I've always said that I'd refrain from being "harcore" in it or the fact I wanted to make this game to dwelve a bit more into how could a girl end up enjoying such a fetish through a more "logical" timeline than in SoVO where everything happens fast because I can't aford to be slow.

I can't satisfy everyone anyway. People criticized the fact there were too many scenes in SoV2 because most lack context, now people are criticizing Naomi's Past because of the low amount of scenes despite the context being much better handled. You can't like everything I do. And it's normal. Because I try different things.

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Nope, it's not a lie. That's why it's called a "scene" and not a "base image". Words are important. A scene = a hentai scene occuring in the game. An image = An image, no matter what it is. A base image = A whole new pic from which variations will be used to create several images. There are 12 scenes in SoV2 between Reiko and her two daughters in futa mode and they're based on the same base image. However, everytime, the setting, the dialogues and the outcome are different. That's 1 base image, more than 100 pics and 12 scenes. I've been using that precise vocabulary for more than 3 or 4 years now exactly so that people knew what to expect when I talked about each of those elements. So please, don't call me a liar. I write the exact content of my updates and I'm not hiding them behind a myriad of useless things to try to look like I've worked a ton.
That's semantics at best and you know it. I don't think I need to tell you what everyone expects when you say "NEW" scene, again emphasis on new. With Sov2 you had tons of content, whilst this game almost a quarter is reused art, hence why its not an issue in Sov2.
Also I'd be curious to understand how a "vaginal scene" can lack "penetration". If there's no penetration how can it be a vaginal scene? There are 6 vaginal penetration scenes (and an anal one) and they all contain penetration... Unless you're talking about the only scene where there is vaginal play without penetration (the masturbation one). But that's the only one.
I meant actually showing it. All the scenes with Naomi are from the side or from the front and miss all the action. The knotting and such, most of the point of the canine.

It honestly seems like you created this one just to fail. Clearly your contract didn't support your scope of the game, and from that you had to reuse scenes, which in a game as small as this, REALLY just doesn't work. You should have either extended the development time and contract (with actual new scenes), or have cut some of the story. It feels like such a waste because this is genuinely your most well written game by far. Hopefully this taught you some things though and the next games better, because besides from this one and the Hunter I've loved all your other games.

Last edited:

blarg0192

Mar 10, 2018
I can't satisfy everyone anyway. People criticized the fact there were too many scenes in SoV2 because most lack context, now people are criticizing Naomi's Past because of the low amount of scenes despite the context being much better handled. You can't like everything I do. And it's normal. Because I try different things.
I'm a fan of your games, but that's nonsense. No one critisized SoV2 for having too many scenes. They critisized it for having too many scenes that were basically the same thing. And most of the people here are here because they're fans. You can't hide behind the "You can't like everything I do" thing because no one here is shitting on it because it has a fetish they don't like or because they "don't get it", they're just giving negative feedback there were some cut corners.

Ark Thompson

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2016
That's semantics at best and you know it. I don't think I need to tell you what everyone expects when you say "NEW" scene, again emphasis on new. With Sov2 you had tons of content, whilst this game almost a quarter is reused art, hence why its not an issue in Sov2.
So just because it's "semantics" if I take the time to write a new scene, I don't have the right to call it new if it uses a base image already present in the game? Even if it's actually new content? At that rate, I don't have the right to call new pics based on an already existing base image "new pics" either. You're the first one I hear complaining about it. And if at least you just complained, but you said I lied, that's what I'm protesting again. You have the right to disagree, but you certainly doesn't have the right to call that lies when, as I mentionned, I've been using the same vocabulary for several years.

As for the re-use of art, there were originally only 2 base pics who should've served multiple purposes. I extended it to 4 because lots of people complained in Slice of Venture that I didn't reuse some of the pics to make multiple scenes (and there are only 9 base images against 15 here.) So I thought it would be interesting to reuse a couple of those, especially considering they fitted the story. And also because when a whole set of pics costs you something like $300/$400 you kinda want to make a good use of it.

I meant actually showing it. All the scenes with Naomi are from the side or from the front and miss all the action. The knotting and such, most of the point of the canine.
That's a deliberate choice. Having to show the genital parts in ALL the pics create a sort of vicious circle where you can't go creative in the slightest because camera angles and positionings have to respect rules of you wanna always show something. During the development I was looking at a lot of VNs and realized that ALL of thems had scenes where the genital parts weren't visible (even with basic positioning or camera angle). So I told PeakJump that we shouldn't make this mandatory to allow ourselves more freedom.

It honestly seems like you created this one just to fail. Clearly your contract didn't support your scope of the game, and from that you had to reuse scenes, which in a game as small as this, REALLY just doesn't work. You should have either extended the development time and contract (with actual new scenes), or have cut some of the story. It feels like such a waste because this is genuinely your most well written game by far. Hopefully this taught you some things though and the next games better, because besides from this one and the Hunter I've loved all your other games.
Considering the development time took almost twice the amount it should've taken AND the fact that (as I said) the amount of pics is twice the original planned amount, extanding development time was not an option (There's SoV3 around the corner, my Patrons are NOT interested in seeing more of Naomi's Past.) As for cutting the story, I'm sorry, that means that the game is too long (as if two small added scenes with reused art consisted in most of the content.) But 90% of people actually find the game too short. As for feeling like the game is a failure, well, that's your opinion. It's too bad. But once again, you stated your opinion and it's not universal. You'd be surprised if I told you that people find The Hunter to be the only good game I've ever made (considering the SoV serie either not good-looking, too long or too hard to play.) And I'm gonna finish my argumentation under.

I'm a fan of your games, but that's nonsense. No one critisized SoV2 for having too many scenes. They critisized it for having too many scenes that were basically the same thing. And most of the people here are here because they're fans. You can't hide behind the "You can't like everything I do" thing because no one here is shitting on it because it has a fetish they don't like or because they "don't get it", they're just giving negative feedback there were some cut corners.
You can't say that there were cut corners when I just linked proofs that I added twice the original amount of planned content. You can say it "looks" like there were cut corners but don't assert it. You have the right to feel that way like RedPilBlues but damn, stop saying things like they're evident and objective. Those are your opinions. Not facts. I'm sorry you didn't find what you hoped in the game, but, I'll say it again "You can't like everything I do". It's not a question of fetishes, indeed. It's a question of feeling towards the game. You two feel the game is bad? I feel sorry for that. I hope next time I'll do something better. Now does it mean I feel like I cut corner or made shit with Naomi's Past? Certainly not. This is the game where I've had the most positive feedback ever. So all in all, you have to admit I have to balance things. Cause not everyone leaves their opinion on F95. Some do it on Patreon, some on Discord, some on the site and some even send me a mail directly. It would be far fetched to say you're the first two ones to complain that much about the game. But if you put aside people who complained at the early stages of dev for the lack of smut, this isn't that far from the truth.

And on a side note, I could really disagree with the notion of "most people being here are fans". No, most people being here are here because it's free. You can enjoy a game without necessarily be a fan. But that's a whole other debate...

• Angry
Reactions: drebin

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
So just because it's "semantics" if I take the time to write a new scene, I don't have the right to call it new if it uses a base image already present in the game? Even if it's actually new content? At that rate, I don't have the right to call new pics based on an already existing base image "new pics" either. You're the first one I hear complaining about it. And if at least you just complained, but you said I lied, that's what I'm protesting again. You have the right to disagree, but you certainly doesn't have the right to call that lies when, as I mentionned, I've been using the same vocabulary for several years.

As for the re-use of art, there were originally only 2 base pics who should've served multiple purposes. I extended it to 4 because lots of people complained in Slice of Venture that I didn't reuse some of the pics to make multiple scenes (and there are only 9 base images against 15 here.) So I thought it would be interesting to reuse a couple of those, especially considering they fitted the story. And also because when a whole set of pics costs you something like $300/$400 you kinda want to make a good use of it.
There's a certain expectation that comes with saying a "new" scene that isn't fulfilled. One that 99% of other western adult game devs follow, you can blame them for making it the norm if you want. If you want I'll change my proclaimed lie to misleading instead. And again reused art just doesn't work for a game this small. Especially when they are so close together.
That's a deliberate choice. Having to show the genital parts in ALL the pics create a sort of vicious circle where you can't go creative in the slightest because camera angles and positionings have to respect rules of you wanna always show something. During the development I was looking at a lot of VNs and realized that ALL of thems had scenes where the genital parts weren't visible (even with basic positioning or camera angle). So I told PeakJump that we shouldn't make this mandatory to allow ourselves more freedom.
Sure that would be a good argument if you had 5 or 6 sex scenes that look the exact same. But that's not the case, Only one of the 5 sex scene focus on the focal point at all; that one makes use of a secondary view and isn't even with our protagonist. Congrats in a attempt to expand creative freedom, you completely overshot and ended up with 4 scenes looking the exact same without even capturing the fetish.
Considering the development time took almost twice the amount it should've taken AND the fact that (as I said) the amount of pics is twice the original planned amount, extanding development time was not an option (There's SoV3 around the corner, my Patrons are NOT interested in seeing more of Naomi's Past.) As for cutting the story, I'm sorry, that means that the game is too long (as if two small added scenes with reused art consisted in most of the content.) But 90% of people actually find the game too short. As for feeling like the game is a failure, well, that's your opinion. It's too bad. But once again, you stated your opinion and it's not universal. You'd be surprised if I told you that people find The Hunter to be the only good game I've ever made (considering the SoV serie either not good-looking, too long or too hard to play.) And I'm gonna finish my argumentation under.
If anything this just shows a issue with the planning stage of this game. If you managed to expand the art by double and still end up reusing a quarter of the game, was there even a game before that? How can you miss the mark so much?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wooloomooloo

Ark Thompson

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2016
There's a certain expectation that comes with saying a "new" scene that isn't fulfilled. One that 99% of other western adult game devs follow, you can blame them for making it the norm if you want. If you want I'll change my proclaimed lie to misleading instead. And again reused art just doesn't work for a game this small. Especially when they are so close together.
And yet, while I've been doing this for the past years, you only criticize that now? Comparing me with other western devs is not how things should work. You compare how I am now with how I was 5 years ago. And the answer is: the same. Because funnily enough the majority of those game makers weren't even there when I started making games. So I really don't see why I should change my way of presenting things while I've litterally recieved 0 complaints about it. And once again, stop talking like things are objective. YOU FIND that reused art doesn't work. It's not a universal opinion.

Sure that would be a good argument if you had 5 or 6 sex scenes that look the exact same. But that's not the case, Only one of the 5 sex scene focus on the focal point at all; that one makes use of a secondary view and isn't even with our protagonist. Congrats in a attempt to expand creative freedom, you completely overshot and ended up with 4 scenes looking the exact same without even capturing the fetish.
I'm kinda sad that you're unable to "capture" a fetish without having it to be blatantly drawn under your eyes. That means you're unable to make your imagination work. My argumentation was based on a global scale. Not on that game's view alone (I included SoV2 in the equation.) And this is bad faith reaching its utmost point. 4 scene looking exactly the same? You're gonna tell me that Shimada's scene = Rika and Satori dildo fuck? and = Naomi's Fuck? Be serious for a second... There are only TWO scenes you COULD criticize and that have the same setting (Rika's mounting AND Naomi's mounting). Yeah the girls are just being mounted, and then what? The whole goal of the game is to depict girls discovering stuff, if you expected me to implement reverse cowgirl with triple penetration that is NOT the right game.

If anything this just shows a issue with the planning stage of this game. If you managed to expand the art by double and still end up reusing a quarter of the game, was there even a game before that? How can you miss the mark so much?
Do your math again. 4 pics out of 25 doesn't make a quarter. You're just basing your whole assumption on H stuff alone, showing you don't give a single fuck about non H pics, showing this game is clearly not for you. The fact you're also answering without even taking into account my own answers (the fact that two out of 4 scenes were added to "please" people) shows that I'm not talking to someone who's listening. You're becoming so condescending in your tone, that it's really rage-inducing. You speak like you have the holy answer and that your vision of the game would've been much better anyway. No one prevents you to do better than me. I actually wonder why you're not already doing it. Since I'm that bad at what I'm doing, there's probably a big whole empty space to take in that market. You should take your chance.

Reactions: Minilono

blarg0192

Mar 10, 2018
You can't say that there were cut corners when I just linked proofs that I added twice the original amount of planned content. You can say it "looks" like there were cut corners but don't assert it. You have the right to feel that way like RedPilBlues but damn, stop saying things like they're evident and objective. Those are your opinions. Not facts. I'm sorry you didn't find what you hoped in the game, but, I'll say it again "You can't like everything I do". It's not a question of fetishes, indeed. It's a question of feeling towards the game. You two feel the game is bad? I feel sorry for that. I hope next time I'll do something better. Now does it mean I feel like I cut corner or made shit with Naomi's Past? Certainly not. This is the game where I've had the most positive feedback ever. So all in all, you have to admit I have to balance things. Cause not everyone leaves their opinion on F95. Some do it on Patreon, some on Discord, some on the site and some even send me a mail directly. It would be far fetched to say you're the first two ones to complain that much about the game. But if you put aside people who complained at the early stages of dev for the lack of smut, this isn't that far from the truth.

And on a side note, I could really disagree with the notion of "most people being here are fans". No, most people being here are here because it's free. You can enjoy a game without necessarily be a fan. But that's a whole other debate...
I first found your game here, but I am subbed on patreon, and I bought SoV2 because most of it was good. My biggest problem comes from your unwillingness to accept any kind of feedback that isn't 100% positive

RedPillBlues

Donor
Jun 5, 2017
And yet, while I've been doing this for the past years, you only criticize that now? Comparing me with other western devs is not how things should work. You compare how I am now with how I was 5 years ago. And the answer is: the same. Because funnily enough the majority of those game makers weren't even there when I started making games. So I really don't see why I should change my way of presenting things while I've litterally recieved 0 complaints about it. And once again, stop talking like things are objective. YOU FIND that reused art doesn't work. It's not a universal opinion.

I'm kinda sad that you're unable to "capture" a fetish without having it to be blatantly drawn under your eyes. That means you're unable to make your imagination work. My argumentation was based on a global scale. Not on that game's view alone (I included SoV2 in the equation.) And this is bad faith reaching its utmost point. 4 scene looking exactly the same? You're gonna tell me that Shimada's scene = Rika and Satori dildo fuck? and = Naomi's Fuck? Be serious for a second... There are only TWO scenes you COULD criticize and that have the same setting (Rika's mounting AND Naomi's mounting). Yeah the girls are just being mounted, and then what? The whole goal of the game is to depict girls discovering stuff, if you expected me to implement reverse cowgirl with triple penetration that is NOT the right game.

Do your math again. 4 pics out of 25 doesn't make a quarter. You're just basing your whole assumption on H stuff alone, showing you don't give a single fuck about non H pics, showing this game is clearly not for you. The fact you're also answering without even taking into account my own answers (the fact that two out of 4 scenes were added to "please" people) shows that I'm not talking to someone who's listening. You're becoming so condescending in your tone, that it's really rage-inducing. You speak like you have the holy answer and that your vision of the game would've been much better anyway. No one prevents you to do better than me. I actually wonder why you're not already doing it. Since I'm that bad at what I'm doing, there's probably a big whole empty space to take in that market. You should take your chance.
Well this is going nowhere and your unwillingness to believe that anything is wrong with this game is only going to run this in circles. This feels like your either very stressed, or overly defensive. Wish you the best luck with you future projects tho

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 11 Votes