Ren'Py Daz Need help starting my own game development

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018
Hey Everyone! Shairi 3D here.
I am a gamer and an artist. I started with traditional art at young age, then started doing digital artworks on tab and now i make renders in blender. I really enjoy a in depth story with good renders.I always wanted to develop my own game so i am thinking about using DAZ for renders as it offers premade stuff so i can focus on character development and enjoy conveying my stories to you guys. I have laid out the storyline for my project and got some assets for the worldbuilding of my game.
I watched some DAZ tutorials but they are basics and doesnt give much about the software.
So I would really appreciate my fellow gamers and developer to help me a bit. I would really appreciate it. Kindly do consider me a comlpete newbie in these terms but i can say this for sure, I'll learn really fast once I'll get the understanding of it.
So here is the first problem i face so far.
One of my main character is G9 and from what ive read, its a bit on heavy side for rendering. But i want to move forward with it. Other characters will be G8.
My specs are
CPU i5 12400f
RAM 24 GB DDR 4 3200
GPU Aorus 1080ti 11 GB
1. The issue is when i start rendering i think its doing CPU render and not using GPU (only the character is in scene and lighting nothing else)
2. The image is too noisy
3. Render settings are a bit weird (would really help if someone explains in it simple). Blender is pretty straight forward in rendering and dennoizing. Samples and built in denoiser.
Thanks
Ive attached render on blender ive done.
FIrst is latest render and others are the work ive done it in past.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Welcome Shairi and good luck on your game dev journey.

1. Sounds like you need to spend some more time learning Daz, via spending time using it and finding answers for questions via tute or forums. Without being rude, I'd say you need to "lurk moar".

2. Those machine specs should be fine for Daz, including G9. Four years ago that would have been considered a very high spec box for rendering. The only minor upgrade I would suggest is more RAM: 32gb is good, 64gb is better if you are doing a lot of creative work.

3. Daz can feel quite unfamiliar to someone coming from blender, and it seems to have lots of render controls that have no clear counterpart in Blender. In actuality the render functionality is mostly a wrapper around Nvidia Iray and exposes the controls from that engine. Again, I'd suggest to spend some time experimenting and researching - there is no right or wrong answer about noise and iterations because it is so subjective and is very sensitive to the scene content and lighting.

4. Use the Daz help menu to find and open the log file after doing a render. It is clearly stated in the log if the render is using CPU or GPU. If it is using CPU, do some searching around forum posts, particularly in the daz official forums, there's plenty of info on how to diagnose and fix.

5. The fact you have experience with Blender puts you at an advantage because you will likely be comfortable dealing with geometry edits or quick scene bashing in that program, and able to import/export OBJ files etc to interact with Daz. I have certainly found that side of things handy for making occasional custom scenery or props.

From those images you attached - are any of those from Daz? and you want specific feedback? or are they all from your previous Blender work?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2019

1. Sounds like you need to spend some more time learning Daz, via spending time using it and finding answers for questions via tute or forums. Without being rude, I'd say you need to "lurk moar".

2. Those machine specs should be fine for Daz, including G9. Four years ago that would have been considered a very high spec box for rendering. The only minor upgrade I would suggest is more RAM: 32gb is good, 64gb is better if you are doing a lot of creative work.

3. Daz can feel quite unfamiliar to someone coming from blender, and it seems to have lots of render controls that have no clear counterpart in Blender. In actuality the render functionality is mostly a wrapper around Nvidia Iray and exposes the controls from that engine. Again, I'd suggest to spend some time experimenting and researching - there is no right or wrong answer about noise and iterations because it is so subjective and is very sensitive to the scene content and lighting.

4. Use the Daz help menu to find and open the log file after doing a render it is clearly stated in there if the render is using CPU or GPU. If it is using CPU, do some searching around forum posts particularly in the daz official forums, there's plenty of info on how to diagnose and fix.

5. The fact you have experience with Blender puts you at an advantage because you will likely be comfortable dealing with geometry edits or quick scene bashing in that program, and able to import/export OBJ files etc to interact with Daz. I have certainly found that side of things handy for making occasional custom scenery or props.

From those images you attached - are any of those from Daz? and you want specific feedback? or are they all from your previous Blender work?
Nice answer :oops: (y)

Last edited:

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018

4. Use the Daz help menu to find and open the log file after doing a render. It is clearly stated in the log if the render is using CPU or GPU. If it is using CPU, do some searching around forum posts, particularly in the daz official forums, there's plenty of info on how to diagnose and fix.

Thank you so much for taking time to help and answer.
I am doing experiments with DAZ renders but so far i didnt like the result so i saved none of them.
Also ill try to get more ram. So far ive never had any issu with PC needing more ram but as you said if im about to do a lot of work in these softwares getting more might help.
As about the iteration and noise, I wanted a know if the softwarte has a sweet spot that i can use as base of every render then move and experiment from there?
Ill be surely checking logs to find if its the case im afraid of. Actually I've been monitering in task manager. The first time I render with daz it was faster with photoreal and CPU was 100%. I unchecked CPU option in render settings and
its slower now but GPU usage is still around 3 to 13% while CPU is being used 23 to 30%.
Thanks again for the help.
About Renders:
None of them are from DAZ, They are all from blender. I wasn't looking for it but I really appreciate any feedback about them you want to give. Also Yes they are all my previous work. I learned new things and soon ill do animations with it.

Reactions: osanaiko

Richard Fappington

Donor
Jul 30, 2018
As about the iteration and noise, I wanted a know if the softwarte has a sweet spot that i can use as base of every render then move and experiment from there?
There's no sweet spot. I'll echo what osanaiko said in that it depends on the content, geometry, and lighting of the scene. Additionally, what gets the job done for one person's GPU is going to vary from another person with a different GPU.
Personally, I don't use denoise and have never needed to even with a lower tier card. I would suggest playing around with the convergence ratio rather than sample iterations. Daz defaults this to 95% but many renders can look "complete" well below that percentage.

An important point to understand first about Time, Samples, and Ratio is that they are first come first serve. Whichever threshold hits first is going to halt the render. So, if for example I set max samples to 1000 and ratio to 95%, if I hit 1000 iterations at 60% converged it is going to stop the render and consider it complete.

Here is a post that explains a bit about the progressive render settings (I would ignore the values they use though as most are overkill - focus on the explanations):

Regarding the CPU/GPU usage: In addition to un-checking the CPU boxes, make sure fallback is un-checked.
1716651979291.png

Sep 16, 2019
Hey Everyone! Shairi 3D here.
I am a gamer and an artist. I started with traditional art at young age, then started doing digital artworks on tab and now i make renders in blender. I really enjoy a in depth story with good renders.I always wanted to develop my own game so i am thinking about using DAZ for renders as it offers premade stuff so i can focus on character development and enjoy conveying my stories to you guys. I have laid out the storyline for my project and got some assets for the worldbuilding of my game.
I watched some DAZ tutorials but they are basics and doesnt give much about the software.
So I would really appreciate my fellow gamers and developer to help me a bit. I would really appreciate it. Kindly do consider me a comlpete newbie in these terms but i can say this for sure, I'll learn really fast once I'll get the understanding of it.
So here is the first problem i face so far.
One of my main character is G9 and from what ive read, its a bit on heavy side for rendering. But i want to move forward with it. Other characters will be G8.
My specs are
CPU i5 12400f
RAM 24 GB DDR 4 3200
GPU Aorus 1080ti 11 GB
1. The issue is when i start rendering i think its doing CPU render and not using GPU (only the character is in scene and lighting nothing else)
2. The image is too noisy
3. Render settings are a bit weird (would really help if someone explains in it simple). Blender is pretty straight forward in rendering and dennoizing. Samples and built in denoiser.
Thanks
Ive attached render on blender ive done.
FIrst is latest render and others are the work ive done it in past.
Hi Shairi 3D
All of the above is good advice. Just in case you're not already familiar with Daz3d Show Us You're Daz Skill forum
https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-art-show-us-your-dazskill.4764/
You'll find a lot of friendly and very helpful Daz artists who are always happy to help out if you ask. You get to show your work off and get feedback too. Check out the OP and then go to the latest posts at the end of the forum. Highly recommended.

YT is also your friend, there's a wealth of info there on DAZ, that's mostly how I learnt. Having a background in photography (real photos, with film) has helped but still had to learn the tech side of 3d and Daz, after about 3 years I still am.
Search YT for your specific Daz topic or how to, there's usually plenty of choice, tutorials from basic to more advanced, these are a couple of the better channels imo
NotFromThisWorld
Got lots of good info

And Game Development Training
Again, lots of good vids. If you start with his older vids 1st you can follow the lessons from basic through to more advanced.

Daz Education is pretty good.

Most of the videos above are a bit older now but still relevant. There's many more good channels you'll find as you go.
Cheers and good luck

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018
There's no sweet spot. I'll echo what osanaiko said in that it depends on the content, geometry, and lighting of the scene. Additionally, what gets the job done for one person's GPU is going to vary from another person with a different GPU.
Personally, I don't use denoise and have never needed to even with a lower tier card. I would suggest playing around with the convergence ratio rather than sample iterations. Daz defaults this to 95% but many renders can look "complete" well below that percentage.

An important point to understand first about Time, Samples, and Ratio is that they are first come first serve. Whichever threshold hits first is going to halt the render. So, if for example I set max samples to 1000 and ratio to 95%, if I hit 1000 iterations at 60% converged it is going to stop the render and consider it complete.

Here is a post that explains a bit about the progressive render settings (I would ignore the values they use though as most are overkill - focus on the explanations):

Regarding the CPU/GPU usage: In addition to un-checking the CPU boxes, make sure fallback is un-checked.
View attachment 3669952
Oh Thanks for the detailed answer. Daz really makes it complicated than it needs to be but hey, there are amazing people like you guys who make it fun and easier. Im gonna try some renders with daz after i complete my current project. I really appreciate the help.

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018
Hi Shairi 3D
All of the above is good advice. Just in case you're not already familiar with Daz3d Show Us You're Daz Skill forum
https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-art-show-us-your-dazskill.4764/
You'll find a lot of friendly and very helpful Daz artists who are always happy to help out if you ask. You get to show your work off and get feedback too. Check out the OP and then go to the latest posts at the end of the forum. Highly recommended.

YT is also your friend, there's a wealth of info there on DAZ, that's mostly how I learnt. Having a background in photography (real photos, with film) has helped but still had to learn the tech side of 3d and Daz, after about 3 years I still am.
Search YT for your specific Daz topic or how to, there's usually plenty of choice, tutorials from basic to more advanced, these are a couple of the better channels imo
NotFromThisWorld
Got lots of good info

And Game Development Training
Again, lots of good vids. If you start with his older vids 1st you can follow the lessons from basic through to more advanced.

Daz Education is pretty good.

Most of the videos above are a bit older now but still relevant. There's many more good channels you'll find as you go.
Cheers and good luck
Thank you for taking time and mentioning tutorials. I will surely do that. I just learn about physics and simulation and i want to complete the current project. I'll move forward with DAZ as soon as i complete my work. my first daz render made me go "HUH?". The character looked awesome but the render quality scared me :)

Shairi 3D

Dec 22, 2018
Thank you so much everyone who took time and help me. It made me move in right direction. Im just working on completing my 3 animation projects on blender, I just did my first animation. It's a bit time consuming but ill finish them up quickly. Then ill move directly to my game. I have to test the denoiser i got from forums and choose what to go with DAZ. See you guys soon with my development. Thanks.