Need help with making renders look better and more realistic

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Here is your replication render ran throught different photoshop processes that each involve level, sharpness, contrast, highlights edits in photoshop. An agressive approach to bring the skin back.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And a less agressive one to keep the clothing balanced.
One thing to keep in mind is that his render is higher resolution, based on the sceenshot you provided. But also you can see that post-editing can bring back, or remove details, the clouds in this case, if applied to the entire picture, but if you select where to apply your post edits, it can save those details. Also I realise that his render pops out more, but it's realy just higher resolution, and harsher lights when rendering, and/or the use of highlights in photoshop.

All of the other renders you posted look fine to me, but I think I understand what you mean, the "plasticy" feeling can come from the fact that skin diffuse textures are too perfect. There are solutions, it's to add imperfections as overlays or by editing the textures and adding those.
Another one is to simply lower the hue on the red and increase the green, basicaly to try to "match" real people skin color, it's a more diluted color than the skins we usualy get in daz. Two example below.
This next one didn't realy need much (if any imo), but just to show you the effect. I do like yours more, after all, she spent a day at the beach :)

That third render is the closest to what I think looks realistic imo, not too vibrant, not too diluted, you may think it's a little too reflective(glossy) on the knee, but that's a part of the body that is more reflective. Very good imo.

But yeah, in general, real life has less vibrant colors when it comes to skin imo, so a "wash" is used, but while keeping the background colors, and only if you go for high resolution stuff.

At the render level thou, harsher lights, but it will limit what you can do in post-editing, so you test, try, and see what works for you.

Also there are many threads about this subject, and many have snippets. So check those out as well.

Taikutsuna

Feb 9, 2020
Here is your replication render ran throught different photoshop processes that each involve level, sharpness, contrast, highlights edits in photoshop. An agressive approach to bring the skin back.
And a less agressive one to keep the clothing balanced.
One thing to keep in mind is that his render is higher resolution, based on the sceenshot you provided. But also you can see that post-editing can bring back, or remove details, the clouds in this case, if applied to the entire picture, but if you select where to apply your post edits, it can save those details. Also I realise that his render pops out more, but it's realy just higher resolution, and harsher lights when rendering, and/or the use of highlights in photoshop.

All of the other renders you posted look fine to me, but I think I understand what you mean, the "plasticy" feeling can come from the fact that skin diffuse textures are too perfect. There are solutions, it's to add imperfections as overlays or by editing the textures and adding those.
Another one is to simply lower the hue on the red and increase the green, basicaly to try to "match" real people skin color, it's a more diluted color than the skins we usualy get in daz. Two example below.
This next one didn't realy need much (if any imo), but just to show you the effect. I do like yours more, after all, she spent a day at the beach :)

That third render is the closest to what I think looks realistic imo, not too vibrant, not too diluted, you may think it's a little too reflective(glossy) on the knee, but that's a part of the body that is more reflective. Very good imo.

But yeah, in general, real life has less vibrant colors when it comes to skin imo, so a "wash" is used, but while keeping the background colors, and only if you go for high resolution stuff.

At the render level thou, harsher lights, but it will limit what you can do in post-editing, so you test, try, and see what works for you.

Also there are many threads about this subject, and many have snippets. So check those out as well.
Thanks, I hadn't really considered Post editing the picture in another program. looks like i'll play around with photoshop or another editing software.

Reactions: Madmanator99

Madmanator99

May 1, 2018
Daz3D renders are always so pristine, so sharp, so immaculate, it is realy hard to match just out of daz. I'm not saying it's not possible, but maybe they have special pa tools or something. In anycase, we have post-editing and that helps us match their renders :)

Reactions: Taikutsuna