Net Neutrality (US)

treos

Oct 19, 2017
Television suppliers have had a nasty stranglehold for years. It's only recently started loosening up a bit in recent years as tv has become internet accessible, and loss of net neutrality will almost completely reverse that. Most ISPs are twined directly with a television service already (meaning the same corporate entity controls both). They currently offer discount rates should a user get both services through them, but people can choose to do so or go with other sources. As soon as an ISP can throttle, they can effectively shut off access to any other tv source. I don't want to need to choose how I connect to the internet based on which tv channels I want to watch (in my opinion these companies would then need to be considered monopolies and be forced to break apart).
true and i wonder how many people know that the internet Dish Network offers is actually just a repackaged form of Wildblue. hmmm...maybe i should check if they still throttle things like wildblue likely still does. if for no other reason than to simply know more about what exactly they offer.

setups like that can lead to some nasty traps potentially. sure, you'd get a decent TV provider but you might also be getting stuck with a real shitty internet connection as well. i suppose it just goes to show how bad those bundle offers can be.

What happens when the big ISPs decide that they don't like not being able to spy on their subscribers and decide to cut-off/throttle any and all VPNs, or any connection that happens over https? Even if all a person wants to do is look at facebook, but they want to do it slightly more securely through a VPN, this becomes blocked because they only have the facebook package, or is throttled regardless of facebook's payments to the ISP to not throttle them because the data is coming from the VPN, not facebook.
o_O hm? now there's a thought. i wonder how much this add-on setup (ublock origin + disconnect + cookie autodelete) i use with firefox affects that part of things. on top of the router being one of those that uses a dynamic IP number setup.

edit: ok, so dishnet does have monthly caps but it's not overly slow. still, the caps alone aren't a good deal in the long run. especially if you tend to download a bunch of fairly large sized stuff like i do (them games and other stuff just keep on getting bigger and bigger file sizes) fairly often.

even the games and other content offered here gets pretty big and the downloads start really piling up after a while.

Last edited:

ThunderZoo

Aug 16, 2016
Well, people should be afraid.

Remember in 2014 when Comcast blackmailed Netflix and Netflix had to pay not to be slowed down? Fortunately in 2015 laws protecting net neutrality were formed...and now it's worse than before 2015!

Step by step americans are losing their freedom and privacy on the internet:

Guys, we are losing the battle...

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
I remember Netflix being throttled by Comcast. Netflix had to raise their prices to make a payment to Comcast. This caused Netflix's stock to nearly crash. Then Comcast was making another play for the money when net neutrality took effect. What is not well-known is that Verizon/Comcast were in talks to use Verizon's network for Comcast services and Verizon has its own video streaming service.

Let's recap this, shall we?
1- Comcast was being paid by Netflix because they had throttled Netflix customers the prior year on their network to force an agreement.
2- Comcast had just set up an agreement to use Verizon's cellular network and gain access to Verizon's On Demand service.
3- Then Comcast started the process of bargaining with Netflix for even higher payments. Oh and they were offering faster speeds to Verizon's On Demand services for a "small pittance". Either way, Comcast wins!!

BUT WAIT!!!! Net Neutrality took effect and stopped Comcast from throttling Netflix to force them to pay. This ended Comcast's bargaining chip with Netflix and prevented another rate increase.

Even though 70% (Don't recall exact figure but I'm close) of us wanted Net Neutrality to stay, the lobbyists who are the Cellular and Broadband ISPs won the day. Ajit Pai is the former lawyer for Verizon. Who benefits from this?? Definitely Comcast and Verizon. They have been caught numerous times throttling customers and have been fined millions of dollars for that practice under Net Neutrality rules. With it gone, you may want to consider cancelling your Netflix subscription, stop torrenting, watching youtube videos and stay away from facebook.

You have been warned.

Reactions: ThunderZoo

Cyan

Jul 25, 2017
Even though 70% (Don't recall exact figure but I'm close) of us wanted Net Neutrality to stay, the lobbyists who are the Cellular and Broadband ISPs won the day.
It's far more than 70%, closer to 90-95% of the general population. The overwhelming vast majority of Americans wanted net neutrality, especially after it's explained in detail what it is, and what it does - it crosses partisan lines.

An astonishing amount of pro-repeal net neutrality posts on social media have been proven to be made from bots. Aside from the vague argument that policy shouldn't be made purely on the basis of the opinions of the masses, there simply isn't a good argument to repeal net neutrality that I've heard.

If anyone's got a decent argument as to why net neutrality should be repealed, I'd actually love to see it. Unfortunately, I'm having a creeping suspicion that more than likely, it will end with me explaining why its incorrect or flawed.

P.S. - Fuck Ajit Pai. Even if you're pro-repeal he's a disgusting little worm - that 'meme' video he put out still is making me shudder from all the cringe. I want those 2 minutes of my life back.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I think there are ups and downs of Net Neutrality, but most of the websites don't bother to discuss the downs, but more focus on ups.
There's no possible down on the fact that you treat everything in the same way. It cost you less than the opposite, it simplify the architecture of your network, it limit the security risks and it also simplify your accounting. Do you really imagine the efforts they'll have to deploy just to keep track of what customer have access to what services ? They already do it, but with 10 times less variety in the said services.

It's like how you could purchase a cheap iPhone from a network carrier, which is locked to the specific carrier's network.
No it's not. Blocking you to a specific carrier's network is a thing done inside the phone. It cost something like 2 cents by phone to do this. In counter part of this cost, the operator will have your monthly subscription. So it's spending almost nothing to earn a lot of money.
But blocking you to a specific part of Internet mean that the ISP will have to filter your traffic in a way or another. It will cost something like $1/month by customer, and it will absolutely not reduce their cost. So they'll spend more, but not earn more, and this for what ? Offering you a cheaper service ?

So I believe there will be website oriented packages from every ISP at a cheap price like facebook package, whatsapp package, google plus package. This is more beneficial to poor/middle class people because they can use specific services at a cheap price.
That's not how internet and internet access works. Just from your home to the border of your ISP networks, you pass through something like 10 hardware. Most of them are Ethernet bridges, but the fact that you don't see them doesn't mean that you don't pass through them. If they launch offers cheaper than the ones they actually have, well it just mean that they overpriced their offers since years.

Saying that Internet will cost less because you have access to less sites is as unrealistic as saying that a train will cost less because it don't stop to each stations on its way. In each case the cost are exactly the same because having access to less sites, like stopping to less station, doesn't change a single bite of the needed infrastructure, and so of the cost.
It also doesn't change the need in bandwidth, like it doesn't change the number of passengers for a train. Those who'll be happy with these few sites or stops, were already customers, and those who aren't happy will pay more and use the version with full access/stops.
The only difference is that for a train, the customers who'll start using it because they are pleased by this new offer will not cost more. For an ISP it will mean more need in infrastructure and bandwidth, so more cost.

It's also harmful to small businesses, bloggers because the audience to their websites are now much lower than used to be
No, it's harmful for small businesses because they aren't part of your "pack". If someone subscribe to a "facebook/twitter/amazon" pack, he will never ever know that myamazingsite was just launched and answer to all his need. So he will never use it and the said myamazingsite will just fail by lack of customers.
But it's not limited to small businesses, it'll spread to their users. Take the problem wich concern all of us actually, Patreon. How game creators will be able to survive if their patreons can't follow them to the new services they'll use, because this service isn't part of their internet pack ?

Some people argue that this will increase the competition among ISPs, meaning when big ISPs are going to throttle bandwidth of certain small websites, it will effectively create a market for small ISPs to target them, but this is not that easy.
These people talk about countries where there's competition among ISP, which is, almost, not the case in the USA.

First it's so expensive to build infrastructure, and it will take years or decades to cover certain areas, especially rural areas.
Yes, because there's no competition. By example in my country an ISP operating its own fiber can't deny the use of this fiber to any other ISP ; obviously they pay for this use. It mean that each ISP share the costs, one put fiber here, another there, and so on. It also mean that they amortize costs faster, because they don't rely on their sole customers for this.
In the USA, if you want to extend your network, you'll have to deploy your own fiber, even if there's already a full network in the place. When towns or counties have their own fiber network and try to open it to anyone want it, they are sued and, worse, they lost.

It's like how people are still forced to buy Nvidia/AMD graphics card at a higher price tag. They seem like cheaper for some countries, but still graphics cards are overall are expensive due to the lack of competition.
It's not a good example, because it don't apply to US ISP. A big part of their network was build with governmental funds and initially there's no competitor because of this. I don't have the exact terms of the pact in mind, but basically it was like this : We give (and not lend) you money to build a network, and in exchange of your kindness, because you had no obligation to accept, we give you the exclusivity over the zone covered by this network.

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
I am not saying net neutrality is a bad thing. It should be there, but because of net neutrality ISPs can't introduce new packages for specific websites since it violates the discriminatory rule, and that's the major cons of net neutrality.
so the law should be changed to cater their needs too, otherwise telecommunication companies won't give up on their fight against net neutrality, because they don't see any benefit of net neutrality.

Aug 6, 2016
Another good way to sum up net neutrality be tom compare it to cable tv and all the different packages they have for sports, kids, cooking etc. They might push for that. I'm glad my government (Canada) has spoken in favour of net neutrality or else there would be riots on the streets.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
BUT WAIT!!!! Net Neutrality took effect and stopped Comcast from throttling Netflix to force them to pay. This ended Comcast's bargaining chip with Netflix and prevented another rate increase.
Can you hope that they'll resume where they were at this time ? I mean, targeting sites instead of customers.
It'll not be really better, but as least it will limits the consequences. Having to pay more for netflix or see more ads on facebook/twitter is less bad that having a sudden shutdown on internet. Plus in this case the US will not be the only one to pay even if they'll be the only one to suffer.

It's far more than 70%, closer to 90-95% of the general population. The overwhelming vast majority of Americans wanted net neutrality, especially after it's explained in detail what it is, and what it does - it crosses partisan lines.
So, can you expect that in 7 years, perhaps just 3, you'll have a president which will go full Net Neutrality and enforce it by laws ? I know that politic in the US works on a really strange way, but I feel like someone running for the post and not saying clearly that he will restore Net Neutrality will not really stand a chance.

I am not saying net neutrality is a bad thing. It should be there, but because of net neutrality ISPs can't introduce new packages for specific websites since it violates the discriminatory rule, and that's the major cons of net neutrality.
But why ? Seriously, why ? The costs of such package will be higher than the cost of a full access. So, if they can introduce cheaper offers for a package to specific website, they can already introduce cheaper offers for a full access.

Silver

Regular
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
But why ? Seriously, why ? The costs of such package will be higher than the cost of a full access. So, if they can introduce cheaper offers for a package to specific website, they can already introduce cheaper offers for a full access.
why not? As much as we have to think about us, we have to think about them too. I like a solution that everyone wins, than only one party is benefited. It's much useful for people who only want to access specific websites at a cheaper cost. Yeah prices will be cheaper, for example look at what that indian website says. ISPs can be subsidized by the website owners to reduce the prices, which in return beneficial to the users. It's true, if they end up using multiple website specific packages, it will cost more, but then it's their choice. I don't see why you are against when it does nothing to net neutrality. I think you are more like scared than being reasonable. A best solution for everything is making a win-win situation in which everyone is benefited somehow, if it's not, then someone is going to fight against it.

Cyan

Jul 25, 2017
That's false. Companies can (and do) offer limited services of internet in the USA for reduced prices, T-Mobile offers free-music streaming, and Verizon offered free hulu and netflix streaming - both free so it doesn't cut into your data plan. (I believe Verizon's offer has since been discontinued)

It doesn't violate the 'discrimination rule' when you're told in advance what you are getting for your money; it violates the rule when you're not told - which is the only relative factor. The reason we don't see more plans like the one listed in India, is because Americans don't want those types of plans en-mass. Internet in the USA is at least 50 times faster than the internet in India. Deals like that are much more prevalent in areas where internet isn't widely available, and people don't want to pay a large fee to access a single website. You're comparing apples and oranges.

so the law should be changed to cater their needs too, otherwise telecommunication companies won't give up on their fight against net neutrality, because they don't see any benefit of net neutrality.
Let's just say for the sake of argument, that you were correct about the discrimination rule and ISP's being unable to offer smaller website packages. I still don't know how you came away with that opinion. You mentioned before about how farmers or tech people wanting access to tech blogs/wikipedia - they can just buy a cheaper internet plan. Text does not require much bandwidth, so you don't need to pay a premium for high bandwidth for what would be used for streaming movies.

That would have the added benefit, of them actually being able to visit other sites they wanted too, instead of being completely snubbed from the get-go.

So, can you expect that in 7 years, perhaps just 3, you'll have a president which will go full Net Neutrality and enforce it by laws ? I know that politic in the US works on a really strange way, but I feel like someone running for the post and not saying clearly that he will restore Net Neutrality will not really stand a chance.
In a word, no. I don't want to get too political, but the republicans will probably back Trump in the next election, and the democrats will put forth Hillary Clinton-lite 2.0. Even if the shill wins, they'll be super corporate. ( I don't mean literally Hillary Clinton, just someone with the same corrupt background.)

like a solution that everyone wins, than only one party is benefited
What the hell are you talking about. With net neutrality intact, ISP's are benefiting with multiple billions in profits. You do know that Timewarner for example, has a 97% profit margin, right? Let's not pretend the ISP's are suffering, they don't actually do anything difficult.

It's much useful for people who only want to access specific websites at a cheaper cost. Yeah prices will be cheaper, for example look at what that indian website says.
The idea that ISP's would offer specific packages for lower prices, and they can't do otherwise because it's unfeasible or impossible because of net neutrality - is laughably absurd.

ISPs can be subsidized by the website owners to reduce the prices, which in return beneficial to the users.
And, remind me again - what happens when the ISP's aren't subsidized by the website owners? Oh yea, the website in question gets throttled and dies off. Have you ever heard of the term 'highway robbery'? You're literally saying that should be made legal. Pay the 'toll' and you can go on the path, don't - and you can go on the path... but with chains on your feet.

It's true, if they end up using multiple website specific packages, it will cost more, but then it's their choice. I don't see why you are against when it does nothing to net neutrality. I think you are more like scared than being reasonable. A best solution for everything is making a win-win situation in which everyone is benefited somehow, if it's not, then someone is going to fight against it.
You don't need to remove net neutrality to create specific website packages.

S

SCATBORD_VIKING

Who cares lmfao there will be 0 difference compared to pre-2015 with your internet service plan

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Because it's not how things technically works in real world.

Yeah prices will be cheaper, for example look at what that indian website says.
Do you understand how the example you gave technically works ? It don't provide full access to a site like you say about your "internet pack", it provide free access to this site, it's a completely different thing with a completely different intent behind it.

For an ISP, you are physically connected to its network. Every single time a single byte pass through internet to/from your home, it follow the exact same path from your computer to your ISP core network. The cable/fiber, then the same DSLAM (or similar), the same fiber and the same routers. Not only it's predictable, but also the minimal possible size is way higher than your needs and use. They'll not change the hardware because you suddenly decided to upgrade the offers you've subscribed to.
Each DSLAM have the same number of racks, and each rack the same number of slots. Each slot can handle the same maximal speed (higher than the maximal offer), while the rack itself is generally designed to handle at least 50% of ( slots X speed ). Whatever if a rack have only one slot used and at the minimal speed offer, or all of them used and at the maximal speed offer, the cost of this rack is identical. Same for everything between the DSLAM (included) and your ISP core network. Whatever if there's only one customer or if the DSLAM have all it's racks connected and they have all their slots used, the cost will be exactly the same.
When they put the last rack on the DSLAM, they know that they'll reach the maximal capability in "number of slots" customers. So plan an extension of the capability, add a DSLAM, potentially change the routers, and all will be good. In the worse case (they launched a mega attractive offer and everyone want it) they'll have one day to do this, in the average case they have a full month to do it.
In the end, your ISP know exactly what their maximal needs are, the cost is the same whatever they reached this maximal needs or not, and they can plan the extension of their network weeks in advance.

For a mobile phone operator, it's completely different. You aren't physically connected to the cell tower, so they have no way to know what their need will be. To simplify, lets say that the hardware architecture is identical.
With the help of existing equation, they know that, according to the population density, the fact that it's a town center, a commercial area, a rural small town, or whatever else, they'll have to face an average use of "this", with "that" average number of connection. So they put the right number of DSLAM, fill them with the right number of rack and connect the right number of slots. Then they use routers able to handle this traffic and finally the fiber which anyway will be able to handle so much more that it doesn't count.
But what if suddenly there's an event in town ? I don't talk about a festival or things like this. A simple wedding ceremony will increase the number of potential customers using this particular cell tower. Unlike physical access points, they can't go and add the hardware needed. The sudden usage increase will be finished long time before they have finished to install everything. Because of this, every single cell tower is over sized. The equation gave 100 customers in average ? The cell tower will be sized for 200. Not that the size must be twice the average use, it's a geometric progression, not an arithmetic one.

That's part of why the offers for mobile phone access are expressed in amount of data, while the offers for physical access are expressed in speed and without amount data limitations. When you exceed the average use with your mobile phone access, you pay for the cost of this over sizing because you are the reason it exist. But like the over sizing for physical access is not due to the usage, everybody pay for it as part of the offers.
And all this is why the offer you take as example is valid for mobile phone access but pure none sense for physical access. For a physical access it imply that now they'll have hardware underused. By like the cost is identical anyway, it change absolutely nothing for them. For a mobile phone access, it help to predict more precisely the traffic which will be generated.
The average traffic for a facebook use is know, same for netflix use and things like this. For streaming, they limit to a single site/operator because of the link exchange points and peer agreements, which limit their cost (1Gio of data amount will cost less with a peering agreement than passing through the wild), not because of the bandwidth use.
Like facebook is now free, you'll use less the other services because of a simple psychological effect. Now that you can access something for free, you'll hesitate more before paying to access something else. Do you really need to access it now ? Can't you wait to be at home where it will cost you nothing ? You don't think that way when you have to pay anyway.
In the end, creating this offer help them have better prediction on their need and it will limit the usage of their cell towers, so the cost of the over sizing. But once again it change nothing for physical access, because there's no over sizing in their case. It also change nothing for mobile phone access in the USA where only one state have an higher population density than India. It's around 270 inhabitants/km² for India, against around 290/km² for New Jersey. And there's only 8 states with more than 100 inhabitants/km². More than half of the GSM network in the USA is oversized just by putting the smallest possible hardware.

ISPs can be subsidized by the website owners to reduce the prices, which in return beneficial to the users.
None sense ! Wait... forget, what I said. ISP/sites pay twice to use link exchange points in the USA, my bad.
It make some sense once the traffic is outside of the ISP core network, because the bandwidth is overpriced even if they use direct peer links. But it still make few sense when the traffic is inside the ISP core network, because it should be sized to handle twice more traffic than it do. And finally it make no sense on the extended local loop (your home to the ISP network ; don't know the English equivalent) because this part is naturally way over sized and can't have a lower size.

It's true, if they end up using multiple website specific packages, it will cost more, but then it's their choice. I don't see why you are against when it does nothing to net neutrality.
I'm against it because it's the strict opposite to Net Neutrality.
Net Neutrality imply that you don't care what your customer do and you don't try to limit them to a part of the network. Here it's the opposite. They'll ask what the customers want to do and they'll limit them to this part of the network, at least economically, at worse physically, anyway psychologically.
I'm also against it because it reinforce the monopoly ISP already have in your country. And in a way this also goes against Net Neutrality.

I think you are more like scared than being reasonable.
Scared by what ? I live in a country where :
- Net Neutrality is enforced by national and EU laws ;
- The equivalent of your FCC can't goes against the Law ;
- Internet access cost less for the same offer ;
- ISP goes more than once against the filtering rules wanted by the government (so enforced by themselves Net Neutrality) ;
- Link exchange points are free to enter in ;
- By laws ISP have the obligation to share their fiber networks with all the other ISP ;
For short, I live in a country with high privilege and freedom regarding Internet access. There's few countries with higher privilege and a tons of countries with way less. So no, I'm not scared. I'm just amazed to see how far the lobbying campaign Comcast made against Net Neutrality have been by spreading its bullshit.

A best solution for everything is making a win-win situation in which everyone is benefited somehow, if it's not, then someone is going to fight against it.
Then start fighting right now.
Obviously the specificities of the USA make things different. The country is way too big, so ISP need to have more than one core network and even more than one by state. The population density isn't homogeneous. This mean that there's part where the extended local loop cost is way two big ; you still need at least one DSLAM and one fiber even for 100 potential customers. It also mean that they'll have to deploy more cell towers, but they'll have a smaller size (in the network way of "size") which limit the costs.
But as counter part of this, the potential number of customers is way higher. With 500 millions US citizens, they can go up to an extend cost (due to the size of the country and population density) of 10 millions dollars by month without real need to report it on their offers. And up to 75 millions dollars of extend cost for less than $1 more on their offers.
Here, we can have fiber 1Gbps access with 100 TV channels and phone, for 30€. Taking in count the change, higher bandwidth cost, not free link exchange points, and country specificities, if you pay a 1Gbps fiber access (without the TV channels and phone) for more than $60, they lie to you. And at least one do it. According to google, Comcast ask three time this for four time less...

In the end, they (well at least Comcast) use their monopoly situation to overprice their offers. And now they go further. Because the average human don't understand how a computer works and think that internet is magic (rhetorically speaking), they enforce this lack of knowledge and abuse it.

Reactions: Cyan and Sam

Dragoman

Jun 8, 2017
I think the arguments against Net Neutrality are more based on fear/uncertainty than facts. People are scared WHAT IF ISPs are going to charge more for certain services, block or throttle the websites of competitors
Well,for me it is both because if people are gonna charged for using extra services or locked sites then they may completely disconnect their internet services,if that continues then the day will come when the whole nation or even the whole world!!(save for some rich dudes) may discontinues the internet! That completely destroys the meaning of internet which means the interconnectivity between different systems or computers around the world. And it would suck if you bought a new ferrari car and want to show the pics of it to your friends at facebook or instagram only to realize that they aren't connected to internet anymore.So Net neutrality is bane to society in my opinion.

treos

Oct 19, 2017
all this arguing against net neutrality sure shows how well the propaganda from comcast, verizon, and other big companies has been working.

how many mental gymnastics do you guys have to go through to reach the conclusion that net neutrality is somehow a bad thing when the opposite couldn't be more true?

Cyan

Jul 25, 2017
all this arguing against net neutrality sure shows how well the propaganda from comcast, verizon, and other big companies has been working.

how many mental gymnastics do you guys have to go through to reach the conclusion that net neutrality is somehow a bad thing when the opposite couldn't be more true?
I really would like to see an argument as to why there shouldn't be net neutrality. Unfortunately every argument put forward is always complete and utter nonsense. I haven't even seen any vaguely decent arguments yet alone good and competent ones.

Well,for me it is both because if people are gonna charged for using extra services or locked sites then they may completely disconnect their internet services,if that continues then the day will come when the whole nation or even the whole world!!(save for some rich dudes) may discontinues the internet!
Lol no. The internet is never going to completely die, people like it too much. I don't understand how you came up with the concept of 'extra services' or 'locked sites'.

Which 'extra services' are you referring to? There are only two main services for any given internet service, data speed and data limit. As @anne O'nymous pointed out, it isn't any more difficult or costly for an ISP to allow access to other sites if you already have access to a single site.

The concept of 'locked sites' only exists when net neutrality isn't intact, so I'm literally confused how you came up with that characterization.

That completely destroys the meaning of internet which means the interconnectivity between different systems or computers around the world. And it would suck if you bought a new ferrari car and want to show the pics of it to your friends at facebook or instagram only to realize that they aren't connected to internet anymore.So Net neutrality is bane to society in my opinion.
I'm confused here. Are you confusing net neutrality with the lack of net neutrality? Net neutrality is the good part that keeps everything open to everyone. The lack of net neutrality is what will keep some people from connecting to the internet.

Reactions: Sam

muttdoggy

Dogerator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2016
@treos -
There's studies that have consistently revealed a mystifying truth. Due to our innate nature, we will often believe what we are first told even when it's false. When later confronted with the fact that the statement is false, we often get defensive.

Put it this way.. "John Doe" listened to a radio show where he is told that Net Neutrality is bad for you because there cannot be any high speed lanes for places like hospitals because everybody's pirating porn on torrents. Now, John Doe is worried about that since he's gotten diagnosed with Diabetes and is a "solid christian" who outwardly believes porn is bad even though he has guilty moments of watching it late at night. Therefore, John decides Net Neutrality is bad. The next day, John is talking about his worries over Net Neutrality with a co-worker thinking that there's no high speed lanes for the hospitals to buy because "everything has to be equal". His co-worker replies "Actually, it's just saying we have to treat access to all content equally. We cannot throttle certain sites as a result. Hospitals can buy faster speed packages if they need to. And with DOCSIS 3.0 advancements, torrents are no longer an issue." John Doe replies "But the radio said 'there's no high speed lanes for hospitals and pirates are still torrenting porn!' He's not wrong because he said that on the radio. Net Neutrality has to go!" The co-worker starts arguing with John and after a screaming match, they part ways none the wiser.

This is human nature. It's common. When it comes to propaganda, the early bird gets the worm.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Lol no. The internet is never going to completely die, people like it too much.
Not only because of this. The concept itself make it almost impossible to die, same for the reason it had to exist in first place. And to this you now must add the big companies.

Yes, it was a military project at first, but if internet exist as a civil service it's because the concept amazed a lot of post-communist (not in the political way) students. To summarize the old times, when Stanford and Berkeley (well, some times in the political way) students started to exchange some email, they were fascinated by this possibility to exchange as deeply on a subject as they could have done it with a letter, while still having a feeling near to a real time phone call.
Therefore, they started to adapt the BBS concept on a more opened way and Usenet came to life. But it wasn't near to be perfect. It was easier than a letter, but not fast enough, so they looked around them and found this DARPA project and used it, improving it piece by piece to reach their objective.
In the same time, Telnet naturally moved to this new thing. It was instantaneous now. No need to phone call the right server hoping it was free, but it was still some frozen thing. "Our [whatever] lab actually works on [whatever]. It's one of the top lab on the country with [whatever] university lab. People like [whatever] and [whatever], the last physic Nobel prize, studied here.", is great, but sometime people wanted to know more about one of the "whatever" subject. So the couple HTML/HTTP, and with it the web, came to life.
It responded to needs which were here and are now more deeply rooted in the operating mode of research and science studies labs. Remove it to them and they'll search, and found, another way to do the same.

In the same time, the concept itself make it almost impossible to kill. Even if Net Neutrality disappeared completely around the world, which seem unlikely to happen, there would still have some countries more opened than others. And in these countries things will restart like on the first place. Universities will links together, and at one point link to the whole network.
It's possible to filter their traffic, but it cost a lot and the companies behind the backbone probably aren't ready to this. They spent tons shit of money in these backbones, it's not to increase the expend by adding cost. Especially if this will mean less incomes because of less traffic in their now way underused fibers.
So the "free network" will start to reborn. Then one day a student will have enough to constantly move from the student building to the lab, just to connect on the network. He will either found an alternative to WiFi with a longer distance capability, or raise some money from the other students in the building and cable the building to the university network. In the pre-WiFi world, in a lot of student building you could see cable going from a window to another because students recreated a network connecting every single one of them, then connecting the ensemble to the main network.
Later another one will start in life, create is company and connect it to the network because he know that it will help and in the end increase the benefits of his company. And naturally his competitors will start to do the same because they will want to have the same advantage.
And slowly a free network will reborn.

But it's a post-apocalyptic scenario. Things will never goes this far. Do you really think that Apple will be happy if the iPhone become just a facebook portable access device ? It's what it is for a lot of people, but not what it's sold for. The companies behind the backbone will not be happy either, like I said above.
Everything is connected now, or will be connected in a near future. You have toys controlled over internet ; hey, you even have sex-toys controlled over internet ! Your fridge is connected and in a near future it will even be able to understand that you miss milk and use internet to make it delivered at your home. Companies spent tons of money in R&D for this, I doubt that they will be ready for a "pay to use" agreement with the ISP, neither ready to just erase all this research. Grouping to fund the research for an alternative will cost them more in first place, but less than an eternal "pay to use" agreement.
To this, you must add China. The day where Amazon will be the only company still in place to buy something online will be a great day for the Chinese equivalent. And due to the income expected, it's not the Chinese government which will oppose to this.

Internet can't die, but it can suffer a long time before its reborn.

I don't understand how you came up with the concept of 'extra services' or 'locked sites'.
Which 'extra services' are you referring to? There are only two main services for any given internet service, data speed and data limit. As @anne O'nymous pointed out, it isn't any more difficult or costly for an ISP to allow access to other sites if you already have access to a single site.
Locked site, I said it, is a possibility but which will cost way too much to be a really good idea. But extra services is, alas, a really easy thing to do. There's a reason why my daughter wasn't able to use skype when she was younger and more naive :D
Not everything pass through the same "channel" on internet. You have the web, but email (unless you look them on your web browser) past through another "channel". Same for P2P, FTP (is this still a thing ?), gaming, video streaming (or have they all moved to TCP 80 ?), skype like I said above, and surely other which don't cross my mind right now.
Basically speaking, everything which isn't usable directly on your web browser, and part of what is usable on your web browser, is "extra services" and can be locked by just closing the channel. One change on the configuration file, and no more P2P for you my friend.
But as for above, the network can adapt and will adapt. The network is split on multiple "channel" to ease thing ; like by example a bank where you have a counter for this and one for that. It also permit to have more than one service on the same machine. What come through this "channel" is for this service and can only be for it. But, here again like for the bank, it's not mandatory. Everything can be done on the same counter and everything can travel through the same "channel".
At first it will increase the number of machines, then will come a small program which will filter the incoming traffic according to the service. It will have a cost in time and resources used, but it's local this time, not global like for the ISP. It's easier to do it on a server which handle 1000 connections/seconds, than on a networks which works with millions of connections/seconds.

Here there's a real fear to have when you don't have Net Neutrality. Because now going under P2P, and so piracy, is a piece of cake. And if I understood correctly, US ISP also have TV/streaming services and even sometimes are linked to movie studios...
It's piracy, so it's evil, and it's just closing a "channel" used only for this, so it will change nothing for the soccer mom who live next door. I don't see a bright future in the US here. Just look at @muttdoggy post above if you want to understand why.

Reactions: Cyan

redwind21

Aug 16, 2017
Honestly, Net Neutrality was a sham. It was anything but neutral. I don't know if anyone here has ever heard of the Fairness Act, but that had to do with radio. It was a way to kill talk radio completely. That's exactly what Net Neutrality would have done to the Internet. It would hvae eventually killed free speech. You would have only been able to see what the government allowed you to see, and do, for that matter. Anything you said that would have been found offensive would have had you banned from the Internet, or worse, arrested. Obama knew once he left office, Net Neutrality would be dead. That's why he also tried to sell the rights to the Internet to another country, so they could do the same thing he had planned. But no one wanted to touch it because it was too much of a hot potato. Whether you believe me or not is your choice. I'm not here to argue, just state things as I know them and see them. BTW, Merry Christmas everyone!

Cyan

Jul 25, 2017
@anne O'nymous

That's a really good in-depth explanation of what I tried to make a very simple/rudimentary understanding, props.

I would note one single thing, that an advanced user who would use P2P/FTP/Torrents would more than likely have the wherewithal to understand how to get around something as simple as port blocking. Still, a fair point.

Honestly, Net Neutrality was a sham. It was anything but neutral. I don't know if anyone here has ever heard of the Fairness Act, but that had to do with radio. It was a way to kill talk radio completely. That's exactly what Net Neutrality would have done to the Internet. It would hvae eventually killed free speech. You would have only been able to see what the government allowed you to see, and do, for that matter. Anything you said that would have been found offensive would have had you banned from the Internet, or worse, arrested.
Um.... what?

The Fairness act was an act that forced radio talk shows to talk about 'issues that related to public interest', without the obligation of showing any opposing viewpoints.

That is not what net neutrality did even in the vaguest form. Net Neutrality stopped ISPs from blocking smaller sites which may have run counter the status quo. Without net neutrality, speech can now legally be blocked in the form of bandwidth caps. I don't know how you got the idea that the government would allow you what you can see - it's literally the opposite of that. It means the government would force ISP's from not blocking what you can see.

Anything you find 'offensive' is irrelevant, as long as it doesn't violate the law explicitly. (Direct incitements to violence, or actual threats to persons, content that is explicitly illegal such as childporn, things like that)

Reactions: Sam

treos

Oct 19, 2017

o_O got anymore bad or non-arguments against net neutrality that can be shredded?