VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Never Back Down [v0.5.1] [Antidote Lab]

1. 5.00 star(s)

Sanaa Star

(y) Great game so far! 5 Stars! (for V0.2 - Aug 2020)

PROS
    - Unique stylish UI
    - good sound/music
    - good plot/story
    - you can choose among several gameroutes

To Improve
    Only two things I would like to improve.
    - The save menu (it'S not so easy as in classic Ren'Py-Games)
    - and the lack of a visual statistics/point system (like: character xyz as 2 love points and 2 "smile points"

Hopefully more people get to know about this game and support it - as I do!

Greetz from
    Sanaa
  2. 3.00 star(s)

L3z1l3

I had a lot of hope for this game when playing the demo/first release, but some of the issues became more prevalent with the second update and some new ones came up.

The UI is gorgeous but unpractical and buggy.
    Skipping with Ctrl is disabled and while the fast forward effect when using skip looks cool, but it does not compensate for the convenience of using short skips with the press of a single button.
    I'm somewhat of a save hoarder. The fancy save screen design is not only harder to access (left click disabled) but also decreases the amount of saves I can have. There is also a bug that always drops you to Page 1 when opening the save screen. This is especially annoying because you can't simply select the page you want but can only go up or down one page at at time by clicking the arrows.

The story looks quite simple at first look. Young guys parents brake up, and MC has to stay with one of them. The difference compared to most of the games with similar story is that here MC's mother is the evil bitch who leaves her family and MC stays with the dad. There is even a scene where dad wants to wake up MC who has a huge morning wood, which is very similar to scenes in a lot of incest games where the mother's (or other female family member's) first start to see MC as a man and start being corrupted. If this scene with the father was an intentional subversion of this trope then can only congratulate for pulling it off perfectly. :D

From what I've seen from the game (it's still very early in the story) it will probably concentrate on the emotions. MC's broken family, him meeting a caring mother figure etc.
    If the dev goes this route, it might become a great game, but only if dev manages to pull it through.
    However in the second upate I've seen some worrying stuff that made me question whether he'll be able to do that.

For example lot of the new characters were characterized very blatantly. Like Rachel declaring herself a slut with her first sentence. The mother repeatedly saying or thinking stuff that consolidate her image as an evil sexhungry whore. The teacher who is overly rude to Ruby without reason. In my opinion if dev takes the emotional route he would have to become more subtle, so we can get to know the characters gradually.
    There are also some other problems with the writing. Like characters sprouting a lot of self evident or unnecessary details. Like the dean during the orientation or the teacher during class. Compared to how short the game is with relatively little dialogue, I found I had to click through a lot of boring stuff there.
    There is also some illogical small stuff, the Dean wearing leather jacket and introducing herself with here first name to the students, that you have NO RIGHT to chose what to eat (maybe just a translation issue), that the Mother who is depicted as a slut waited for 18 years before finding another guy to fuck or how MC could blackmail her with the recording when she already filed for divorce a month ago.

After the negatives, here are some things I found positive with the game.
    The graphics look gorgeous. It seems we will have a lot of characters with distinct personality a looks to chose from.
    The sex scenes look hot, and there is also some animation included. I'm not a fan of NTR and I know lot of people will hate this scene because of it. For me it was still OK, because there is no sexual relationship or romantic interest at this point between her and the MC so it wasn't NTR from my point of view. And I wouldn't rate a game negatively just because I don't like the fetishes it has anyway.
    (Probably) A branching storyline with very different routes (based on the choice of choosing tables).

Overall it's very promising and I will certainly follow the game.
    Why such a low point then? Because I hope dev will address the issues I mentioned (especially the UI) and improves on it to make it a really great game.
    So, inconvenient UI -1 star, everything else -1 star.

This review was made after playing V0.2. If anything changes in later updates I'll update my review hopefully increasing my rating.
  3. N
    5.00 star(s)

NoHeart

Even through this is a v0.1 I am treating this as a Demo, for now.
    Story: College kid has to weather the divorce of his parents and accidentally runs into a slightly creepy but nevertheless attractive neighbor.

Dialogue seemed perfect for a non native speaker a little stilted but natural. Might have a proofreader who is working on the game.

Though the dream sequence is a bit strange if the dev is foreshadowing something I would be majorly impressed.
    4/5
    Art: Other than 1 or two images that have some bad angles I think this is one of the best looking first releases. Models look to have very good quality and posing is on point. Can't wait to see more of these characters!
    5/5
    Gameplay: Not much in terms of choice but the basics are the same. The UI looks great and the music cues and attention to detail really shine. I would love to see this develop as is. Don't need to add any more bells and whistles to make the game stand out. If secondary systems are added I hope they don't take away from the natural experience.
    4/5
    Overall:
    5/5
    Play it!
    This is subject to the most change if the updates are this short then I will lower the score in response. However if there are mitigating factors I can definitely understand.
    I eagerly await more.