New Breeding Game Idea

machocheese

May 20, 2023
On second thought, going with my original idea, no Kisekae or paper doll.
I want the style and animations to be similar to Syahata's Bad Day.
Honestly this will probably look better. The Kisekae stuff looks like it will be very limited, especially for male characters. You probably won't be able to create men like Levi in the original Breeding Season.

Also I'll add that I'll be happy if there were some gay stuff in the game.

KatzeWolf

Oct 14, 2017
Do you have a plan for your progression system?
I know from reading other's posts in this thread that they brought up options like other farms?

If you are planning on going the route of "Smart" monsters they could be a progression path as NPCs unlocking access to those monster types initially. They also could be called "Trained" monster specializing in certain jobs acting as a semi automated workforce if you are planning on adding tasks to maintain the farm (resource gathering, defense against raids, really anything depending on what the main gameplay loop is.)

If you are planning on going down the path of body modification then "upgrading" the main protagonist and other NPCs could be based off of that. Something like potions that give effects based off of ingredients and specialized ones that work on humans but not monsters. If you wanted to go with the human transforming into a monster similar to Breeding Farm then different monster forms could unlock stat cap upgrades. If stats don't matter only traits then having children have degraded (Deluded) versions of traits appear in children from their parents could be a method to keep NPCs and player relevant throughout the game.

The next big question is what is the point of breeding monsters in the game? I know most games use them as products for a cashflow to handle debt and to buy upgrades. Are you planning that or do they have a different purpose? An option I thought of could be monsters acting as part of an army you are a supplier. That could lead to requests for monsters with specific traits and training. Another option is the financial option where they are either the product or maintain the farm to make products. In theory it could be an ecological recovery where you breed monsters and release them into the wild to restore an ecosystem. Any and all of these could be options but it would need to be planned out ahead of time for a satisfying gameplay loop.

As you have age progression as a point in this game is there death? Can monsters/NPCs die of old age? If the answer is yes then an option to keep the main character relevant is that they are ageless/immortal and extended life expectancy could be something they alone can pass to their descendants. Also how long would it take to progress age? Are we talking days, months, years in game? Would there be a way to speed up the age progression or slow it down? Are there benefits to having monsters at the different stages? Something like training/education could be simpler or only possible at certain stages of age progression as an option.

Final thing you would need to know is what is the point of the main character? Are they just a player surrogate, a unit used in the main gameplay loop, a character that affects the world with a story, and/or the central central story element for the game's campaign? I have seen games where any of the four options or even combinations of the four options work but this again goes into the main gameplay loop and if not planned ahead of time can break the game.

I apologize if this is long and it is not meant to put any pressure on you but I just want to make sure that your game has a solid foundation as you seem to have a good idea. I know from experience that a good idea with passion can be ruined by not planning ahead and laying the foundation.
That is a lot of text xD
I'll get back to this one sorry, it's getting late and I need to get to bed.

KatzeWolf

Oct 14, 2017
Dot/Pixel style? I’m down for that.
Honestly this will probably look better. The Kisekae stuff looks like it will be very limited, especially for male characters. You probably won't be able to create men like Levi in the original Breeding Season.

Also I'll add that I'll be happy if there were some gay stuff in the game.
Agreed, and yeah I shouldn't have an issue with that, sprite animation looks fun :p

I have finished getting player gold working correctly and am now working on the system to generate the monsters and give them random stats, traits and appearance values.

Reactions: Doc_Pie

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
I want to make a race that can only breed with it's own bloodline, maybe elves?
They can only inbreed, other mates won't produce offspring.
While you can do what you want, if the game allows the player/MC to breed with the mons than that would kinda suck.

bardhorseman

Mar 8, 2021
this is such an exciting idea. I'm checking this thread daily at this point. The world deserves a successor to Breeding Season.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
Okay another question, do you intend to have gender locked races? (like harpies are female only, goblin/orc are male only). How about say a “feral” trait to make them more beast like? Could be mutually exclusive with the smart trait. (Or not.)

bardhorseman

Mar 8, 2021
Haha thank you. I'll do my best x

Have any ideas or requests?
I think as long as we have animations for every coupling, even placeholders that get upgraded, it'll be just fine. I like the system in Breeding Season where monsters would fall in love with each other and stuff. That was nice.

KatzeWolf

Oct 14, 2017
Okay another question, do you intend to have gender locked races? (like harpies are female only, goblin/orc are male only). How about say a “feral” trait to make them more beast like? Could be mutually exclusive with the smart trait. (Or not.)
Yes I want to add both genders, I didn't like that about breeding season how they were gender locked. And yes ofc I'm adding a feral trait hehe.

I think as long as we have animations for every coupling, even placeholders that get upgraded, it'll be just fine. I like the system in Breeding Season where monsters would fall in love with each other and stuff. That was nice.
Yeah that's the plan, animations should be no problem in time.

Yeah I am planning to add preferences to monsters that change as they breed.
So monsters that breed together more often begin to like eachother.

And like, 'Likes big cock' for example.

Reactions: Doc_Pie

machocheese

May 20, 2023
I want to make a race that can only breed with it's own bloodline, maybe elves?
They can only inbreed, other mates won't produce offspring.
It's an interesting idea, but you have to consider what gameplay purpose that will serve. Obviously there's the drawback that if you want offspring from these monsters you will only be able to breed them with the same race, but what would the benefit be to offset that restriction?

KatzeWolf

Oct 14, 2017
Been designing the monster shopkeeper's personality and design, and have written some sample dialogue.

Fox girl Shopkeeper.

"Welcome welcome! Isn't this weather just flippin' fantastic for some monster mingling? You must be the new monster breeder in town, everyone's been buzzing about you! Call me Kina, and this here's my little menagerie of matchmakers! Just the finest selection of breeding stock this side of the swamp!

Don't let my, ahem, youthful appearance fool ya! I may look like I can barely reach the top shelf, which, for the record, is a daily struggle!, but I've been curating this collection for over three centuries! Seen trends come and go, beobachtet thousands of successful couplings... well, maybe not thousands, but a respectable amount nonetheless!"

Her tail swishes behind her as she sighs, "Still, gotta admit, it does get a tad tiresome explaining my age every ten minutes..."

(After some conversation)

Kina's ears perk up, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Ah, rumors travel fast, don't they? Now listen closely, these little guys here are precious cargo, destined for greatness! But breeding's a science, and even the best Matchmaker needs a little... firsthand experience, right?

Now, I wouldn't call it 'testing' per se. More like, uh, quality assurance! See, I gotta know their personalities, their quirks, how they react to different environments. You wouldn't want to pair a grumpy Goblin with a hyperactive Catgirl, would you? Recipe for disaster!"

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
The problem I see with Breeding games is you need a Gameplay Loop to give the Stats and Traits some sort of purpose.
Games like Nephelym technically have stats, management, resources and whatnot but does not have much point for doing that.

The routes I see for that either the Brothel route or the Combat router.
The Brothel route is basically like from Monster Club Bifrost where you prostitute and satisfy clients.
You could also go the Slave router like int Slave Maker games where you directly customize and sell slaves for clients but that isn't as good of a gameplay since the pacing and challenge is off and is hard to balance it right.

The other route is the Combat router where that stats and translates into Combat Power like in the game Portals of Phereon.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
The problem I see with Breeding games is you need a Gameplay Loop to give the Stats and Traits some sort of purpose.
Games like Nephelym technically have stats, management, resources and whatnot but does not have much point for doing that.

The routes I see for that either the Brothel route or the Combat router.
The Brothel route is basically like from Monster Club Bifrost where you prostitute and satisfy clients.
You could also go the Slave router like int Slave Maker games where you directly customize and sell slaves for clients but that isn't as good of a gameplay since the pacing and challenge is off and is hard to balance it right.

The other route is the Combat router where that stats and translates into Combat Power like in the game Portals of Phereon.
I’m gonna have to disagree here, while the brothel is an interesting idea I feel it defeats the breeding part. You get a coupe good mons and breeding becomes pointless. Combat is a double sided edge, I feel that once combat is put in the other games like this also stop being about the breeding. Look at cloud meadow where the breeding side was all but shelved for the dungeon crawler side.
I think it should follow Breeding Season model and just be fulfilling requests. You know breed and turn in mons that match requirements like needs to be a set race with while being at or above a certain lv and or stats then even add trait requirements on later/hard requests.

Say you use a breeding rank system that gives more options/races or other benefits like more traits as you increase it. You start low and each request you complete gives so many rank points and your rank increases once you get enough. However easy requests give low amount of points and harder one give more. Then make non-special requests have a time limit so you are encouraged to keep a spread of different mons.

Last edited:

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
I think it should follow Breeding Season model and just be fulfilling requests. You know breed and turn in mons that match requirements like needs to be a set race with while being at or above a certain lv and or stats then even add trait requirements on later/hard requests.
The problem with that is that stats and traits don't have much gameplay ramification other filling in the checkboxes for a request.
With a brothel system at least you can interact with the customers in various ways.

Combat is a double sided edge, I feel that once combat is put in the other games like this also stop being about the breeding. Look at cloud meadow where the breeding side was all but shelved for the dungeon crawler side.
It's done well in Portals of Phereon, a lot of customization and builds are possible that you get from breeding.

ciphertul

Jun 20, 2018
The problem with that is that stats and traits don't have much gameplay ramification other filling in the checkboxes for a request.
With a brothel system at least you can interact with the customers in various ways.
The problem is that if you wanna play a brothel game you will go play one. We have Monster Black Market for that itch.

It's done well in Portals of Phereon, a lot of customization and builds are possible that you get from breeding.
But not really, playing Creation makes breeding pointless and the addition of fusion further craps on breeding. You might use breeding to get the hybrids but you can just recruit most of them in battle.