New tag for Dishonest Developers?

What Should the New Tag Be?

• Total voters

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Finally, as discussed many times elsewhere, the review system is also fairly uninformative. Too many people just wanna show support for the game and give 5 stars without thought. And there appears to be a lot of bots/paid-reviewers leaving 5 stars. And not enough people take the time to leave a constructive criticism review and leave any score other than 5 stars.

Here is my suggestion to help with many of the discussed issues:
a "Certified Community Reviewer" role.
  • They are vetted and elected by f95 staff
  • To apply, they must have X reviews and Y time as a member.
  • Reviews they make get a "Certified Review" badge.
  • Users who are game devs can likewise get a "Certified Game Dev Review" badge
  • Reviews can be filtered to only show Certified reviews
  • The role can be revoked if the user has been absent for a long time

Here is my second suggestion:
Allow users to upvote reviews. Here is an example from Steam:
View attachment 2245925
That idea was rejected back in 2019: https://f95zone.to/threads/good-reviewer-role.25643/post-1597294

Unfortunately, this is not the case atm on f95. Unifying update numbers is also subjective on the part of the uploaders.
No, it is the dev deciding how their versioning work, and unfortunately that often means numbers put randomly.

An "automated update-version numbering system" would also just be another way of saying "total number of updates." Devs could post many, small updates to make their game look more complete than it actually is.
Which would make it useless, and once again, the number of updates is meaningless.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

Airell

Developer of Love and Corruption
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2017
The tag would not solve the problem, so it would just confirm to what everyone already knows. Everyone clearly sees when a dev is scamming and milking, even the supporters. If they support it, it's because they don't care about productivity and hard work.

Reactions: kintarodev

KleptoLizard

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2018
One time I released a game and some guy, on 3 or 4 different accounts across different sites, went around saying "I THINK THIS IS A SCAM!"
I have no idea why he thought that, he gave no explanation why he was saying it, went around asking if anyone could give him a pirated version of it, and never attempted to contact me to ask me anything about the game.
At the time I just ignored him since the internet is home to all kinds of odd people, but I'd hate to think of someone like that having the ability to "Yelp Review" me.
So while we all look askance at people who don't treat their patrons well, any of these features would likely be abused by vindictive individuals.

russianbot

Oct 28, 2022
One time I released a game and some guy, on 3 or 4 different accounts across different sites, went around saying "I THINK THIS IS A SCAM!"
Or maybe being named kleptolizard and advertising your game in unrelated threads got different people with different accounts across different websites to think that maybe what you were doing wasn't on the up and up.

kintarodev

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2022
1) as already said, f95 mixes piracy with 'fan projects', the whole concept would be a huge mess. From day one people would just 'tag' games they just pirated, because they don't have their desired tags/proper 'fan' translation/mod capacity/ etc. Or even worse, tag devs who don't deserve it because the average gamer really knows very little about gamedev and how difficult it can be (and time demanding).

2) People who donate money are supossed to be adults, thus they should understand what they do with their money.

3) The whole thing is just so arbitrary....

Just play what you like and leave aside what you don't....:rolleyes:

KleptoLizard

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2018
Or maybe being named kleptolizard and advertising your game in unrelated threads got different people with different accounts across different websites to think that maybe what you were doing wasn't on the up and up.
No it was the same guy. Exact same speech pattern, word-for-word phrasing.
He was like that dude from Family Guy who follows Peter around calling him a phony for playing the piano.