New to lewd dev. Using my own voice and what is allowed

NekoNicole

Aug 20, 2019
Hey everyone! I'm not new to making games, but I am new to making adult themed games. I've always wanted to do it, but wasn't sure I could keep the two separate.
I'm a girl in the US and I'm wondering if I could use my own voice for little sound clips. Maybe hard breathing and small moans?
I have a Blue Snowball mic but not sure that cuts it. Would that take away from the game or add to it?

Also, what is allowed? If I have animals in game, must I limit their interaction?
Since I'm in the US, are there certain themes I need to stay away from? A google search didn't help me much.
I would like to start a patreon so that info might help.

Thanks in advance!
<3 Nico

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Would that take away from the game or add to it?
"I'm a girl, and the lewd sounds you'll hear will playing this game are all mine".
Just put this as description of your game, no need for more, nobody will care about what you can write after this, they'll already be downloading the game.
Does this answer your question ?

Also, what is allowed? If I have animals in game, must I limit their interaction?
Since I'm in the US, are there certain themes I need to stay away from? A google search didn't help me much.
If you want the game to be on Patreon, then a lot of thinks will not be allowed. No incest, no bestiality (sorry for the animals in your game), no none consensual sex whatever the form. And obviously, no pedophilia.
Or there could exist a patch to add the content banned by Patreon. Many games have a patch like this available on . Obviously, those patch are absolutely not made by the author of the game. It happen that someone own the exact same models than the author, have the ability to read his mind, and works so fast that the patch appear in the same time than each release. But all this are just coincidences.

NekoNicole

Aug 20, 2019
But I can still have cute animals and that's what counts! You just can't touch them. Maybe just pats?
You don't think the sub par mic will make a dif eh? I'm always turned off (in all ways) by bad sound quality in games. I like subtle noises but clear and I'm not sure this mic can do that, but I believe you on the rest. Maybe it's way different for adult games and I guess that was my question. I know lady game developers are a rare instance and I guess adult games would be less so. But we like lewd too damnit! LOL

So I've seen lewdpatcher mentioned a lot and I will research it harder. I thought if it was just pixel art I would be in the clear but looks like I'm still pretty restricted.

I really appreciate the expanded answers to my question. I'm sure you all get it a lot around here (so sorry for that!)

^^

215303j

I'm not a lawyer but I think that as long as you don't portray minors most things are ok. EDIT: it seems bestiality is more controversial than I thought, see below links. In case you are a minor yourself (DON'T ANSWER THAT QUESTION ;)) using your own voice may not be a good idea either.

I'm also not from the USA, but I do understand that laws and regulations can vary quite a bit depending on which state you are in.

Patreon obviously has it's own guidelines, which are subject to change at any moment. ;)

Edit: here's some reading for you:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NekoNicole

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Hey everyone! I'm not new to making games, but I am new to making adult themed games. I've always wanted to do it, but wasn't sure I could keep the two separate.
I'm a girl in the US and I'm wondering if I could use my own voice for little sound clips. Maybe hard breathing and small moans?
I have a Blue Snowball mic but not sure that cuts it. Would that take away from the game or add to it?

Thanks in advance!
<3 Nico
There is a lot that can be said about sounds but assuming you are going to use Ren'Py, then it is as easy as leaving the option to lower/mute those sounds.

Read patreon's guidelines for the rest but as far as animals go, you can include them, you can pat them, hug them, do anything but fuck them.

riktor

Nov 26, 2018
You don't think the sub par mic will make a dif eh? I'm always turned off (in all ways) by bad sound quality in games. I like subtle noises but clear and I'm not sure this mic can do that, but I believe you on the rest.

NekoNicole

Aug 20, 2019
I actually hold a license for RPG MV and decided to use that. I'm not really familiar with Daz and I'm more of a 2D artist.
I will of course make sure sounds are mutable. I have a cool UI made and it may just be a great idea to have that on screen as part of it instead of having to go into the menu to mute. Good call.

Edit: Yeah it's weird that laws are so different. I should move... HA.
Oh snap, thanks for that video! I didn't even think to rig up a sound box.

NekoNicole

Aug 20, 2019
I guess I'm kinda stuck with catgirl but hey, I'll take catgirl. I have about 45 minutes of dialogue written and it's just my base so I have a lot of tail wiggle room. I may make some switches and variables to flip in and out of catgirl form. That should keep me out of trouble.

Reactions: recreation

215303j

While we are on the subject of bestiality, funny story:

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
You're not the only female dev, so you're not alone! :) (The dev of Heavy Five linked in my signature is also female, and really very good.)
Good luck with your game. If you need a proofreader, let me know! I work for credits :)
On the subject of voices and sounds, if it's your own voice, then you hold the copyright; there is nothing illegal about anything you put into the game with the exception of those already mentioned. The only other thing would be you would have to be over 18 with you being in the states.

9thCrux

--Waifu maker--
Game Developer
Oct 22, 2017
Probably you already have something like this but check it anyway:

You can sit comfortably while you record your voice, no leaning forward or curling, also prevents the "blowing" effect in records.

MovieMike

Aug 4, 2017
You can also get a Yeti mic. It's popular with vloggers, YouTube streamers, podcasts, etc. I've used one, not for anything to do with F95, and they give really nice sound quality and aren't too expensive.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
You're not the only female dev, so you're not alone! :) (The dev of Heavy Five linked in my signature is also female, and really very good.)
*wavies* ;)

Thanks in advance!
<3 Nico
Hi hi :)

Firstly, a very warm welcome and I wish you the bestest of best luck with your project. Others have already commented on the technical aspects so I won't add my 2 cents/pennies to that but there was one other thing I thought might be useful for your consideration.

Very simply, once you've released your voice out into the wilds of the internet (even if it is only sound effect type voice work), it's out there. Forever and ever until the sun grows cold. No takie-backsies. Work on the assumption that once you've posted something/released something you've lost control over it. Now obvs we're not prudes, else we wouldn't be here of course, but that might be just be worth a second thought just to ensure you have no regrets later and that you're going to be totes comfortable with that fact.

That's not to discourage you at all. Just I'd hate you to feel you'd made a mistake later down the line. There's a -very- small voice clip of me from a sound test I did bouncing around I know, but I'm cool with it. I'd want you to be too.

"I'm a girl, and the lewd sounds you'll hear will playing this game are all mine".
Just put this as description of your game, no need for more, nobody will care about what you can write after this, they'll already be downloading the game.
*laughs*, but he's probs right :)

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
That's not to discourage you at all. Just I'd hate you to feel you'd made a mistake later down the line. There's a -very- small voice clip of me from a sound test I did bouncing around I know, but I'm cool with it. I'd want you to be too.
You know that we now all search the deepest parts of the net for it ? :D

*laughs*, but he's probs right :)
I'm definitively right, alas. We, men, are weak, so weak, in this kind of situations ;)

More seriously, what you said above made me think, this time like the young in heat I was in my past.
Must be take in count the fact that, like you said, once it will be online, it will stay online forever. But, must also be take in count the reason why the fact she'll sound the fx herself will lead to more download...
There's many games voiced, not this much on the western scene, but they exist. But they are voiced by third parties girls ; girls that did only this. Here it will be a game made by a girl, so initially players will imagine that it's her fantasies that are depicted ; which will create a strong bound between the game's content and its author. And the sound will be made by her... In the end, a lot of players will imagine her behind every single female character, and when they'll be fapping while playing, they'll imagine the author, not the characters.
It's innocent, but it's not all people (women but also men) that can live know that, right now, there's probably peoples that are actually fapping on them.

Last edited:

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
You know that we now all search the deepest parts of the net for it ? :D
*chuckles*

Must be take in count the fact that, like you said, once it will be online, it will stay online forever. But, must also be take in count the reason why the fact she'll sound the fx herself will lead to more download...
Oh totally! It's a really nice USP in respect of more downloads. Why do you think I did a voice test? ;) *was considering this herself at one point*
..... Here it will be a game made by a girl, so initially players will imagine that it's her fantasies that are depicted ; which will create a strong bound between the game's content and its author. And the sound will be made by her... In the end, a lot of players will imagine her between every single female character, and when they'll be fapping while playing, they'll imagine the author, not the characters.
Again, totes agree. I mean don't even get me started on Becca = Me... :)

But to be clear, nothing against the idea at all. And NekoNicole is more than capable of making her own decisions without my blessing :) I just wanted to maybe draw attention to that point in case it hadn't crossed her mind yet.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
But to be clear, nothing against the idea at all. And NekoNicole is more than capable of making her own decisions without my blessing :) I just wanted to maybe draw attention to that point in case it hadn't crossed her mind yet.
Same for me. In a little less than twenty years on the net, I've seen my part of people hoping they could go back on what they put online. The important is to know the possible consequences, then it's up to her to make her decision.

NekoNicole

Aug 20, 2019
I appreciate the honest feedback and that all ties into my biggest worry, that authoring anything adult will end up getting mixed with other non-adult projects but I never intended to do voice overs in non-adult.
I try to keep everything pretty neatly separated and what prompted my decision to just "do it" so to speak was the fact that I had already done some work in the adult industry and I've kept that out of my other work (plus it was the most fun I've had). So basically I'm combining what would be my two fav jobs.

I totally get where you are coming from with the content being heavily tied to it's author. I get that and I think it makes for a cool angle in a game (as long as the dialogue isn't bad). I mean if Mary Sue is where it's going to go, feck it. Why not? Though can anyone else see how that might make someone like totally character typed in future relationships?. (I'm only slightly kidding)

I can see a guy begging for cat ears and some kind of tail anal plug during every sexual interaction.
"but muh catgurls"

Edit: Heavy Five looks really cool. I'm pretty in love with attitude in the sig images I'm seeing. Their facial expressions are great. I need to check it out.

Pretty stoked to meet another female dev. I would bombard you with questions if I had the chance.

Last edited: