New version of Renpy causes Mac issues

tossler

Jul 1, 2017
Ever since Renpy updated a few weeks ago, it seems impossible to make new games launch automatically (I assume my problem stems from developers using newer versions to create their games).

Having downloaded and copied version 7.4.1 into my Applications folder, I expect to be able to double-click a game's .app package and have the game launch. Instead I get an "[it] quit unexpectedly" error and, being very ignorant when it comes to coding, can't understand why.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The only way for me to get these games to run is to physically copy them into my Renpy program folder, then launch Renpy.app and select the game. It works, but it's messy and means shuffling hundreds of files around for no reason. On a Mac, one can normally assign a particular program to open a particular file type, but Renpy games use the filetype ".app" so I am not able to force them into version 7.4.1 of Renpy, which is called "Renpy.app". Seems it's like asking an application to open another application, which Apple doesn't allow(?).

I just want to default to 7.4.1 when I double-click on a Renpy game.app, so that the game launches without further ado. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know, because I'm all out of 'em.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
That's a known bug with the new Ren'Py SDK version. There might be a "dirty" workaround by re-building the game for Mac or by forcing recompiling. I wrote a how-to-do for another game with the same issue here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/not-able-to-play-renpy-games.70556/post-4917268

It worked for me, but apparently not everyone is able to run Ren'Py SDK 7.4.1. I assume that's what you have installed, right? If the game runs through SDK 7.4.1 then there is a got chance that you will be able to re-build a working Mac port with it.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
That's a known bug with the new Ren'Py SDK version. There might be a "dirty" workaround by re-building the game for Mac or by forcing recompiling. I wrote a how-to-do for another game with the same issue here:
https://f95zone.to/threads/not-able-to-play-renpy-games.70556/post-4917268

It worked for me, but apparently not everyone is able to run Ren'Py SDK 7.4.1. I assume that's what you have installed, right? If the game runs through SDK 7.4.1 then there is a got chance that you will be able to re-build a working Mac port with it.
You mean 7.4.0 I guess? .1 is not officially released, all that's there at the moment are alpha's and nightly builds of .1 and that's not something you want to make a build from.
Funnily enough 7.4.1 is due to be released today.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
You mean 7.4.0 I guess? .1 is not officially released, all that's there at the moment are alpha's and nightly builds of .1 and that's not something you want to make a build from.
Funnily enough 7.4.1 is due to be released today.
Apparently OP is using the pre-release 7.4.1 version too.

He also could try the old 7.3.5 version to re-build the game, if Dev isn't using any of the new functions introduced with 7.4.0/7.4.1.

Last edited:
Reactions: recreation

nimsen

Dec 22, 2017
I'm following this post and noticed that this isn't only renpy engine problem. But I think it has something to do with Big Sur because I found solution that works for me so far. There is this thread where they talk about apps that don't open ( ) and reply posted by xindex has been worked for every renpy game that did not open before.
I hope this works you guys too...
Ps. Here is the solution if you don't want go to the thread :)

open terminal.
enter sudo chmod -R 777
then drag and drop the application you are trying to open.
click enter
then enter your password
click enter

and that's it, renpy game should open(worked for me)

Hope this helps!