• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

"no dc" watermark

ShaddyGames

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 19, 2020
What other issues do you mean people have with 7.4.x?

Not much has changed compare to 7.3.5 aside Win XP and software renderer support have been removed.

Latter use user‘s GPU renderer instead RenPy’s.

In general must issues have been fixed with 7.4.2 aside the false-positive one which seems to be a Windows issue only.
It's mostly the older Win OS issue, something was affecting some Mac users as well, but I can't remember the details. You'd be surprised how many people are still using older Win OS. We had roughly 100 people report issues due to using older Win OS.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Sorry for the trouble I caused you guys. I was advised to use the nightly as the latest stable release was creating a false positive in windows defender for the 32bit executable. I'm going to run and hide under a table somewhere.
You don't have to. But there's still a question, is the "NO DC" due to a wrong use of something in the unstable version, or is it due to the enabling of a debug feature on some drivers ?

Not much has changed compare to 7.3.5 aside Win XP and software renderer support have been removed.
You forgot the transition to Python 3.x. It's a big step and already implied some bugs (already pointed one due to the division issue). But it's a problem that come from the devs, that haven't ported their own code, not from Ren'py.

It's mostly the older Win OS issue, something was affecting some Mac users as well, but I can't remember the details. You'd be surprised how many people are still using older Win OS. We had roughly 100 people report issues due to using older Win OS.
Hmm, Ren'py have no reason to not works on old version of Wndows, at least upper than XP that isn't supported anymore starting the 7.4.1.
But do deep test before you revert to 7.3.5, the changes in the 7.4.x can have made this step even more incompatible than it was before.

Last edited:

Maid Lain

Modder
Game Developer
Apr 4, 2018
Probably this caused it:

Also RenPy 7.4.3 is an official version, it's what the Nightly's have been on for almost a month.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Also RenPy 7.4.3 is an official version, it's what the Nightly's have been on for almost a month.
Let's say 7.4.3 hasn't officially been released for the majority to use aside for people who are into testing nightly builds.

ShaddyGames

Engaged Member
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Jan 19, 2020
Probably this caused it:

Yeah, I found this myself not long ago, but I also tested by launching through renpy 7.4.0 SDK without updating, and it still does it. So it has nothing to do with the Nightly update, in case anyone is wondering.

Anon4321

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 24, 2017
I had the same issues as well, Its appears to be a OpenGL issue as it also appears in Java Minecraft.

I'm not sure of the proper Fix however I did happen to fix it for Nvidia graphics cards.

Go to Nvidia Control, Manage 3D Settings, and Click Restore then apply

it is no longer showing on any Renpy games or Minecraft so it appears to have fixed it
not sure what setting in 3D setting caused the issue if anyone knows please let me know

Hope this helps
Thanks for this fix, if I'm right, I found out it was the Thread Optimisation of the "3D Settings"
After using the restore button, which changed it to Auto, the "No DC" watermark disappeared.

BEFORE

Before.png

AFTER

After.png

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018
I've deleted all renpy related files on my ssd. Done a fresh renpy install and it's still there. My Teenage Years is the most recent renpy game I've tried out. The NO DC watermark doesn't appear when running it. Question I have now; is there a file in the game zip that edits renpy externally?

It's extremely aggravating trying to develop renpy projects and some random watermark is now in my way.
I first noticed this in MYT too, at first I thought it was stat or cheat or something for that game, but then noticed it in every single game after.

Launch any Ren'Py game by holding shift key, or press shift+G once Ren'Py has started and switch the renderer.

There is no v7.4.3. The latest available version is 7.4.2.
Doing the shift+g and changing my render seems to have worked for me get to get rid of it. Forcing to use Angle/Direct X

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I first noticed this in MYT too, at first I thought it was stat or cheat or something for that game, but then noticed it in every single game after.

Doing the shift+g and changing my render seems to have worked for me get to get rid of it. Forcing to use Angle/Direct X
Check this post for a better solution otherwise you need to switch renderes for every game and won't fix for games on Steam etc.
https://f95zone.to/threads/no-dc-watermark.75132/post-5203579

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
No, the latest official version is 7.4.2. When talking about a software, "official" do not mean "made by the original author/team", but "released to the public".

The Nightly's is always an alpha version. It correspond to the "devel" branch of the project, and is where everything is tested ; with "everything" including feature/code that will never made it to the release. Anyone can download it, if he want to help on the project, whatever by improving the code or just testing it, but it's not a version to be used for something else that pure testing.
Therefore, it's not an official version, nor for the public, and even less to be used in production.

Reactions: cold_arctus

RatPitGames

Game Developer
Jul 19, 2019
Had the same issue. Its appear after running new X4 (GOG) or wall paper engine (i am not sure when problem appear exactly). X4, ren py launcher, ren py games, Viewport of DAZ3d was affected by watermark. Restoring 3d settings in nvidia control panel seem to solve the issue

Bildur

Game Developer
Feb 21, 2021
It was already "Auto" switched to "Off" and then back to "Auto".
Fixed it for me

gerald99

Jul 23, 2017
FIX! navigate to "C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs" and deleting the file named "nvdrssel.bin", hope this helps