RPGM No Man's Paradise [Dev Thread]

Sep 27, 2020
Dev Update 17.10.2020

Hello there, everyone. :)

(This is a text heavy one, so you can skip to the tl;dr at the bottom, if you want.)

To start off with a bang: This will be (most likely) the last dev update before the 0.1 release. Two main reasons for that: First, the game is in a state in which I can comfortably say that it's almost ready for a release.
And second, I simply don't have any groundbreaking development leads to share for this build. The previous posts were rather excessive in what exactly you can expect so far.

There is one thing I would like to touch, though. And that is the mapping. As pointed out by Sparky~ earlier, I use parallax mapping to create the world of No Man's Paradise. To give a quick explanation for those of you that are not familiar with this technique:

Instead of using the built-in mapping tool from RPG Maker, I instead create the maps within Photoshop and add the visual assets onto the canvas by hand. So far this is very similar as the built in tool, but with one major difference: I am not bound to the 48x48 tile grid that is enforced on pretty much anything within the RM Engine. This means I can place whatever I want, wherever I want to a pixel perfect precision.
I can also use the tools provided by Photoshop to enhance the maps. For example the wide array of brushes allows me to put more detail and variety into stuff like grass and clutter on the floor.

The big downside to this technique is that it takes forever to get a map down. Easily three to five times longer than with the regular built in tool of RM. Not only does this drag out the development time, it's also very draining for myself. Doing a couple of maps like this is not a problem, but doing a lot of them is pretty taxing.

That being said ...

Parallax mapping provides my project with a unique touch. Something that is severely lacking from a lot of other RPG Maker games. So I hope you guys are fine with me not going the path of least resistance by not only providing decent smut, but also something nice to look at while trying to get to said smut. :)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

As always, thank you for your time and stay healthy! :)

Buh-bye!
Hey I hope you are well. I wanted to let you know that your discord link expired and to ask if you needed help on the project.