Zoey Raven

Game Developer/Walkthrough/Guide Maker
Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
I keep an eye on latest updates. A watch list of all stuff I find interesting. On disk I only have games I get back to from time to time. Otherwise I only keep saves (they are under ~/AppData).
That's probably the best way to do it. It's what I used to do when I played more, but it was a lot clearer then IMO what the really good games were and the not so goods ones were. Now, anyone with a Ampree card is making a VN. So while some of them look ok/good visually I still find writing talent lacking in a lot of them. I'm not saying I'm the best in the world, but some people just throw together a generic story and put landladies in it. That's more what I'm talking about. I got bored of that long before I started writing my game.

bacienvu88

Aug 3, 2021
That's probably the best way to do it. It's what I used to do when I played more, but it was a lot clearer then IMO what the really good games were and the not so goods ones were. Now, anyone with a Ampree card is making a VN. So while some of them look ok/good visually I still find writing talent lacking in a lot of them. I'm not saying I'm the best in the world, but some people just throw together a generic story and put landladies in it. That's more what I'm talking about. I got bored of that long before I started writing my game.
Lots of filtering needs to be done, yeah. :)
There is also the Story-first games thread where there is a lot of discussions and recommendations on games that prioritize good stories.

Horny Toad

May 23, 2019
Question, everybody and their MOM is making a VN these days, when I was just modding I knew people who would literally play EVERYTHING that came out. How do you guys even sort through all this stuff now? Especially since there are a lot of them that do one of two updates then disappear?

Figured this was a better question for F 95 as Patreon is not as interactive and seems to be more focused on what they play.
I just check out what's new in the updates, and if there are ones that aren't first release that looks interesting, has genres that I'm interested in, then I might check them out. Since there are so many, I check out the reviews. I've downloaded and try them out, but some I didn't like for various reasons, like bad writing, bad interface, no way it's not incest even though it says "Landlady"/"Neighbour"/etc., so therefore I delete them and go onto the next game.

There are a number of games I follow and look forward to an update, but otherwise the vast majority of games/VNs that are listed I ignore.

Reactions: Zoey Raven

Fred689

Jan 11, 2022
Question, everybody and their MOM is making a VN these days, when I was just modding I knew people who would literally play EVERYTHING that came out. How do you guys even sort through all this stuff now? Especially since there are a lot of them that do one of two updates then disappear?

Figured this was a better question for F 95 as Patreon is not as interactive and seems to be more focused on what they play.
At the moment I'm trying to finish the games with the "completed" tag here in FAP95, I choose those by their star ratings.

For the other non-completed games I do it the same way; I pick those with the highest stars, read the reviews, check their patreon page to see if the author still continues the development and mostly take those which got already some episodes (like 7 or 8). Exceptions are made for those really awesome rare gems which I start to follow after 2 or 3 episodes.

Working on the same manner as Horny Toad; checking the latest updates every 2-3 days, having a separate folder on my HD and updating when things come out.

Think got about 20-30 VN following now ;)

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
One thing I do is to periodically check on the highest-rated games on F95.

Just click on the Filters drop-down and select Sort by: Rating - other selection criteria can also be selected.

It's not infallible, but if a game is highly rated I feel the need to at least check it out. I have recently found a couple of games that I decided to support financially that way.

But damn, you're right, the amount of games that I would like to check out is exceeding my ability to do so properly. I can't check out everything and still actually play a few.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
One thing I do is to periodically check on the highest-rated games on F95.

Just click on the Filters drop-down and select Sort by: Rating - other selection criteria can also be selected.

It's not infallible, but if a game is highly rated I feel the need to at least check it out. I have recently found a couple of games that I decided to support financially that way.

But damn, you're right, the amount of games that I would like to check out is exceeding my ability to do so properly. I can't check out everything and still actually play a few.
I usually searched by weighted rating as well when I've looked to do mod content, and I do now to see where my game is at. Every game is going to have troll ratings, I have a few of my own, but I've also found cream usually rises to the top when it comes to weighted rating, with some exceptions.

There are a few fuckfest and fetish games that are highly rated I've perused I could care less about, but a lot of the higher rated ones are good as you say, after that it comes down to taste really.

Reactions: Walter Victor

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Saves!

Make sure you play all the way to the end of Ch. 11 and make a save when Lydia tells you to! Only this save can be used to continue on with Ch. 12. Your previous saves will only work with Chapters 1-11 of the game.

You will need to load the save Lydia tells you to make in order to play Ch. 12 when it releases. If you fail/failed to do this you can find links to Chapter 1-11 in the OP, or below in my Patreon public release post for Ch. 11. Any questions in the thread about this issue will be directed to this post. So again, make a save when Lydia tells you to, that way you don't have to go back and redownload Ch. 1-11!

Also, (and this should be obvious from what I just wrote) you can NOT start a new game for Ch. 12, you will just be told to load the save. You MUST play Ch. 1-11 first and make a save.

This was done to reduce the file size of the game.

Note: You can make more than one save, but they have to be done when Lydia tells you to.

Links for Ch. 1-11

Last edited:

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
Guys I just made that last post so I can pin it to the OP, because I'm sure there will be someone who didn't follow directions and comes in saying "My save don't work with Ch. 12". So please refer them to it when we release Ch. 12! Thanks!

Reactions: UncleFredo

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
You can lead a player to a post, but you can't make him read.

In addition to the, 'My saves don't work' posts, there will be the, 'Why can't I start the game when I download the latest release?' and 'Do I have to play Ch. 1-12 first?'. I'm sure there will be others from people who are candidates for a Darwin Award.

Oh well! I should talk. I've done enough dumb stuff in my lifetime to qualify for my own room in the Darwin Hall of Fame. :FacePalm:

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019

In addition to the, 'My saves don't work' posts, there will be the, 'Why can't I start the game when I download the latest release?' and 'Do I have to play Ch. 1-12 first?'. I'm sure there will be others from people who are candidates for a Darwin Award.

Oh well! I should talk. I've done enough dumb stuff in my lifetime to qualify for my own room in the Darwin Hall of Fame. :FacePalm:
We all have, but all your points are valid, and will most certainly come to fruition.

My reply to "Why can't I play if I have the latest release?" will be, "Because you'll be fucking lost!"

Probably still won't be good enough, but I've got the regulars in here to help me out.

Nulldev

Nov 28, 2017

We need 2005 style animgifs, police lights, 3d pulsating red arrows :D

Raging_Moose

Jun 9, 2020
at beginning of the game, I wasn't a big fan and I was about to stop playing it (((the whole sobriety thing and the twelve steps is a relevant part of my childhood as my father was an alcoholic and had 7 years of sobriety before he passed away ))), but I powered through and I'm glad I did I'm currently at where they all return from the camping trip. you could actually strip all the adult content (not saying you should :p) and this would still be a great game. the story is amazing keep it up :D

Raging_Moose

Jun 9, 2020
also, I would like to add maybe adding something like a black opaque text box like some of the other renpy games have where the text is going to be couldn't hurt as with some of the scenes it's hard to read or a bit straining on the eyes, but I'm not sure how easy that would be with the amount of content already it the game

Nov 19, 2020
I just got around to playing the update, and it was great. Lydia's little moments of vulnerability and the dress she was wearing were perfect. I know it's going to be a while before we get to the ending, but I am so looking forward to giving her that ring back.

Zoey Raven

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 31, 2019
also, I would like to add maybe adding something like a black opaque text box like some of the other renpy games have where the text is going to be couldn't hurt as with some of the scenes it's hard to read or a bit straining on the eyes, but I'm not sure how easy that would be with the amount of content already it the game
There's a slider for that in the preferences.

1655959403339.png

You can make it as dark as you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walter Victor

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
Progress report from the developer at Patreon:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Dev Update #38 (Progress)

What the hell is Lydia doing wearing THOSE clothes! Knowing her it's probably not gonna last.

I lied, figured I'd go ahead and do a dev update since I've gotten a lot done since Monday!

Roughly 800 Lines of code (in three days!) 200 Renders (I'm playing render catch up), no animations yet, but I don't think the first one in this update will happen til the end of the first day.

Anyway figured I'd do this now, so I could concentrate on the game. I'll check back with you guys in a few weeks!

As always, hope you are all doing well, Cheers!

4.50 star(s) 124 Votes